chicago and Boston, both done.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: chicago and Boston, both done.

Post by Boston Canucker »

okcanuck wrote:Boston Canucker is that true? Racism is that obvious in Boston?

I guiess I must be the most naive person on the planet, its just hard for me to believe that there is that many people with that kind of hatred toward people just because of the colour of their skin.

I did see a documentary recently, I believe on PBS, saying that racism in the northern states has overtaken the southern states. Wow, makes me glad I live in a tolerant society like we have in Canada. Plus we have a better hockey team than the Boston Bums.
It is true in the sense that the city is still shaped in fundamental ways by racial conflict. The 1970s busing conflicts are in the past in sense, but in another are still shaping force/scars (read the Soiling of Old Glory for a primer on it, great book). I teach at a college, teaching politics, including around race issues, and also work in the local community. There are a lot of good people seeking to work through all this, but it does not take much - be it a reading I'll give my students or a topic at a local meeting - to see the tensions and coded language emerge. I don't hear people say the n word publicly, but the coded language is evident, and so when a bunch of folks go nuts on twitter I was not the least bit surprised. I recall being at Bos-Mtl game this year and hearing fans yell "kill him" to Subban. I've been at a number of Bruins games and never heard that sort of language, even against players they hate. It is well known that black athletes have had serious questions about going to Boston. Things are better than they were but these tensions linger, and the city is still quite segregated, adding to the problems.

I can attest to HW's point about the general hostility of Boston fans in all regards. As I said previously, I lived in NYC for 10 yrs (including being there in 94) and never the level of personal vitriol I hear here. Prior to Game 1 of the Finals last year I was walking with a friend to play tennis, and I was wearing a t shirt with the old school Canuck logo. A guy working on a rooftop with a nail gun screamed down, in a joking but still not too friendly tone, that he could hit me in the chest with a nail from up there. My friend was shocked, and all I said to him was, "that's Boston," you can't just be an opponent you have to be hated, demonized. If you want more evidence, just youtube clips of Bruins play by play goofball Jack Edwards...the most astonishing vitriolic homerism I have ever heard, and they Love him here, love him!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Boston Canucker wrote:

I guiess I must be the most naive person on the planet, its just hard for me to believe that there is that many people with that kind of hatred toward people just because of the colour of their skin.

I did see a documentary recently, I believe on PBS, saying that racism in the northern states has overtaken the southern states. Wow, makes me glad I live in a tolerant society like we have in Canada. Plus we have a better hockey team than the Boston Bums.
It is true in the sense that the city is still shaped in fundamental ways by racial conflict. The 1970s busing conflicts are in the past in sense, but in another are still shaping force/scars (read the Soiling of Old Glory for a primer on it, great book). I teach at a college, teaching politics, including around race issues, and also work in the local community. There are a lot of good people seeking to work through all this, but it does not take much - be it a reading I'll give my students or a topic at a local meeting - to see the tensions and coded language emerge. I don't hear people say the n word publicly, but the coded language is evident, and so when a bunch of folks go nuts on twitter I was not the least bit surprised. I recall being at Bos-Mtl game this year and hearing fans yell "kill him" to Subban. I've been at a number of Bruins games and never heard that sort of language, even against players they hate. It is well known that black athletes have had serious questions about going to Boston. Things are better than they were but these tensions linger, and the city is still quite segregated, adding to the problems.

I can attest to HW's point about the general hostility of Boston fans in all regards. As I said previously, I lived in NYC for 10 yrs (including being there in 94) and never the level of personal vitriol I hear here. Prior to Game 1 of the Finals last year I was walking with a friend to play tennis, and I was wearing a t shirt with the old school Canuck logo. A guy working on a rooftop with a nail gun screamed down, in a joking but still not too friendly tone, that he could hit me in the chest with a nail from up there. My friend was shocked, and all I said to him was, "that's Boston," you can't just be an opponent you have to be hated, demonized. If you want more evidence, just youtube clips of Bruins play by play goofball Jack Edwards...the most astonishing vitriolic homerism I have ever heard, and they Love him here, love him!
Not to mention the fact that the Irish & the Black slaves competed for jobs in ol' Beantown when emancipation happened....old tensions run deep indeed....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Arachnid wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:

Not to mention the fact that the Irish & the Black slaves competed for jobs in ol' Beantown when emancipation happened....old tensions run deep indeed....
Very true, How the Irish Became White by Noel Ignatiev gets into this very topic/tension/history
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Remembering the 2011-12 Boston Bruins

A gratifying read if nothing else.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Madcombinepilot wrote:chicago and boston are out..

all is good again.

the hate is equal until next year.
I don't like this mentality at all.

It's a loser's mentality in my opinion.

I expect this type of thought and behavior out of Albertans, and not us (and by 'us', I mean the good folks at Canuckscorner......not typical Canuck fans even).

Resenting the success of others or deriving pleasure from the failures of others is low in my opinion.

I don't like Boston and Chicago either for obvious reasons, but both of these teams have won cups.......unlike us.

If anything, I am jealous of Washington for doing what we could NOT do. Anyway - that's just my take on things. Let's not act like Albertans and be haters. Instead of focusing on others, lets focus on our team and our goals on how WE can get better and win that damned cup.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:chicago and boston are out..

all is good again.

the hate is equal until next year.
I don't like this mentality at all.

It's a loser's mentality in my opinion.

I expect this type of thought and behavior out of Albertans, and not us (and by 'us', I mean the good folks at Canuckscorner......not typical Canuck fans even).

Resenting the success of others or deriving pleasure from the failures of others is low in my opinion.

I don't like Boston and Chicago either for obvious reasons, but both of these teams have won cups.......unlike us.

If anything, I am jealous of Washington for doing what we could NOT do. Anyway - that's just my take on things. Let's not act like Albertans and be haters. Instead of focusing on others, lets focus on our team and our goals on how WE can get better and win that damned cup.

I'll hate whatever team I want

l hate the Bruins hf messageboard who stopped any debate on the racist tweeting by some of their fans.
I hate that little puke Marchand for almost ending Salo's career.
I hate the fact that Thomas lied when he said his stand was not political.

I hate Duncan Keith for derailing our chance of winning the cup by his cowardly elbow on Daniel.
I hate Johnathon Toews for not calling out Kieth on said elbow,but being so vocal on Torre's hit,which didn't even come close to the Keith hit.

I hate the Laughs just because they are the Laughs.

I love the Canucks and always will no matter what.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

okcanuck wrote:

I'll hate whatever team I want
Feel free to like or dislike any team you want.

There's a whole bunch of red neck Albertan's that feel that way about the Canucks.

All I'm saying is that I think it's lame to cheer the fact that a rival team has been eliminated when one own's team has their own issues to work out. Any Canuck fan cheering the fact that Boston or Chicago got ousted is no worse than a red neck douchebag from Calgary cheering when Vancouver doesn't meet expectations. At the end of the day, Vancouver STILL hasn't won a cup and Calgary is STILL an absolute embarrassment to not just hockey........but professional sports......when you take away 1989 and their Cinderella run of 2004.

It's just my personal hope that we, as Cornerites, are better than that. I don't know......

But yes - feel free to feel however you want. I have no right time to tell people otherwise. Just a bit disappointed I guess (i.e. that we may essentially be no different than most Albertan hockey fans, or even the Nazi's/Jihadists posting over on Calgarypuck).
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Hold on there just a frikken minute farhan...... there is no canuck fan on earth that hates another team...more than they love the canucks...that's the difference our love Is stronger than our hate...over there..not so much!!!
It's like as long as we do poorly all Is good. That Is pure codependancy....your dying and someone elses life flashes before your eyes.

No canuck fan Is like that..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Farhan Lalji wrote:I don't like this mentality at all.
You're trying to tell everyone here that watching the Bruins repeat or the Blackhawks win a second title in three years wouldn't bother you even a little bit, Farhan? That seeing them lose in a similar fashion to the Canucks doesn't relieve that (potential) burning.. even just a little bit?

As for the "loser" mentality, of course it is. There are 29 loser teams every year, and the Canucks have never been anything but.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

dbr wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:I don't like this mentality at all.
You're trying to tell everyone here that watching the Bruins repeat or the Blackhawks win a second title in three years wouldn't bother you even a little bit, Farhan? That seeing them lose in a similar fashion to the Canucks doesn't relieve that (potential) burning.. even just a little bit?

As for the "loser" mentality, of course it is. There are 29 loser teams every year, and the Canucks have never been anything but.
Honestly - no. If anything, the Bruins winning would be a good thing because it would be a MASSIVE slap in the face to our boys in blue who felt "jaded" this year when they bowed out in 5 to the Kings. I guess I just think differently from most (as evidenced by my posts and bizarre threads/posts on here). I can't help it I guess. Watching the heart of the Phoenix Coyotes is a thing of beauty in the playoffs so far. These guys probably won't go all the way, but DAMN they give an honest effort.......which is sure as fuck more than I can say for our Canucks this year. :(

Seeing Boston lose this year doesn't make me happy at all. In fact - it makes a bit jealous of Washington because they did the one thing that we couldn't do last year........getting the job done in Game 7.

Feeling "relieved" to see a rival team lose is a coward's mentality in my opinion........and it's my extreme displeasure that I'm currently surrounded by cowards in this province of Alberta. I guess I just expected something better from the Cornerites here, I don't know.....

Next season - in my opinion - is the last and final shot of the current core to win the cup. I hope they use this off-season to heal up, rest, and get their heads back in the game.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

rats19 wrote:Hold on there just a frikken minute farhan...... there is no canuck fan on earth that hates another team...more than they love the canucks...that's the difference our love Is stronger than our hate...over there..not so much!!!
It's like as long as we do poorly all Is good. That Is pure codependancy....your dying and someone elses life flashes before your eyes.

No canuck fan Is like that..
Great point rats and you're definitely right.

Still - I just don't think there's any honor in being openly happy at seeing another team/individual/whoever lose. I saw way too much of that gutless shit from Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Chicago, etc., when we were getting spanked by the Bruins last year and it made me sick. I know most Canuck fans are the exact same but I guess I just thought Cornerites were a little more evolved in their thinking, and were better than that.

Sure - we all 'disagree' with each other's opinions, etc., and aren't always on the same page (especially when it comes to MY posts ;) ), but I always just felt that we, as a community, were above all that petty shit.........the type of petty shit that we see on Nazi havens and KKK mindsets such as Calgarypuck.com.

I personally don't give a crap about Chicago, Boston, LA, *insert whichever team beats us next*. I just want to see OUR boys WIN. I want to see OUR boys win the Cup just once in my life.......and give the city of Vancouver what they deserve.
Bret H
MVP
MVP

Post by Bret H »

Still - I just don't think there's any honor in being openly happy at seeing another team/individual/whoever lose. I saw way too much of that gutless shit from Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Chicago, etc., when we were getting spanked by the Bruins last year and it made me sick. I know most Canuck fans are the exact same but I guess I just thought Cornerites were a little more evolved in their thinking, and were better than that.
I see absolutely no problem with people being happy about Boston/Chicago losing. I am very happy about it and don't consider it to be loser mentality at all, or me being a "bad person". :-)

What you are saying is that you see all other 29 teams as being the same. You have no feelings at all for any other teams than the Canucks. That's obviously fine, but it's definitely not the case for me. There are certain teams I cheer for when Canucks are out, and consequently other teams I don't cheer for at all. Maybe you can say it is better to be happy the Caps are still in, rather than being happy Boston are out. But that's really just playing with words, isn't it? The first may appear a bit "nicer" but in reality it is the same thing.

So yes, I'm very happy that three of the five teams of the very bottom of my list are out (Boston, Chicago, Penguins out, Rangers, Flyers still in). But I'm also happy Caps are still in and would be even happier if the Sens had made it all the way to the Cup (now that the Canucks are out of course).

But you are absolutely right that it's gutless (and pathetic I may add) to post in other teams fan forums and make fun of them. I would never do something like that. But to admit "among friends" that you're happy about a certain team being out... that's just being human ;-)
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Bret H wrote: But you are absolutely right that it's gutless (and pathetic I may add) to post in other teams fan forums and make fun of them. I would never do something like that. But to admit "among friends" that you're happy about a certain team being out... that's just being human ;-)
Fair enough.

I guess for me, the ultimate gut wrenching denominator........when you break everything down.........is the fact that the Canucks haven't won a cup and that we, as loyal fans, might not get to see our faith be rewarded in this lifetime. This is why I personally could care less about Boston, Chicago, LA, or whoever.

My biggest fear is that we'll have to wait until 2028 to see the Canucks get another crack at the cup. Guys like Jim Robson, Tom Larsheid, etc., etc., deserve to see this team win during their lifetime.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

I love hating other teams, it's part of the juice that makes sports so great, rivalries! It used to be calgary and edmonton, now it's boston and chicago, gets the blood boiling...builds out of great experiences like the playoffs. We don't get great games like that on Jan 7 without getting some hate on. Love and hate, in sports, go together...Love the Canucks and hate our rivals, wanting them not just to lose but to suffer...and since I openly claim that while wearing Canuck gear in Boston area bars it's far from cowardice, it's raw courage...and a hell of a lot of fun to boot!
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Boston Canucker wrote:and since I openly claim that while wearing Canuck gear in Boston area bars it's far from cowardice, it's raw courage...and a hell of a lot of fun to boot!
That does take a tremendous amount of guts, I'll give you that. Especially in Beantown where the fans there can be extremely hostile towards opposing fans from what I hear.

Do you have any fan treatment stories from over there? What's the worst that has happened to you? What are some of the things that you've heard?

One thing I heard was that in Game 6 of the finals last year, a Canuck fan got pee'd on my Bruins fan at the urinals at TD Garden.