Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby BigTuna » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:44 pm

If there's no hockey this year the Leafs might pick first overall. They just drafted Rielly, but yeah, no future. They need to get a mid-30's goalie with a decade left on his contract to help the them get closer to 8th. That sounds like a plan...

If this wasn't about about Luongo, all you Canucks fan would say it's best just to rebuild through the draft and forget about the aging goalie.

Who the hell is going to trade for Luongo? is Florida still even interested?
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby rats19 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Nobody wants a 30+ game winner who can play a ton of games...thats just crazy to want that...why fight for a playoff spot, its so easy to be bad, hell people might start wanting more....
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4684
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby BigTuna » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:59 pm

It makes no sense to give up futures for an aging goalie who can then screw-up your drafting position and still can't help you contend.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby rats19 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:06 pm

BigTuna wrote:It makes no sense to give up futures for an aging goalie who can then screw-up your drafting position and still can't help you contend.

He can help contend and its not for all the future, just a piece...if to is that stocked with younguns, there is a deal. Unless like you say..its easier to build with high picks...the cost is merely to continue on with sucking,fine by me.
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4684
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:31 pm

BigTuna wrote:If there's no hockey this year the Leafs might pick first overall. They just drafted Rielly, but yeah, no future. They need to get a mid-30's goalie with a decade left on his contract to help the them get closer to 8th. That sounds like a plan...

If this wasn't about about Luongo, all you Canucks fan would say it's best just to rebuild through the draft and forget about the aging goalie.

Who the hell is going to trade for Luongo? is Florida still even interested?


Lol coming from the guy who used to come on this board and the other cc ranting and raving about how great the Leafs were and that they were going to make the playoffs and arguing vehemently about it with everyone. How did that go for you ?

I agree the Leafs should be in rebuild mode and if they were my team I wouldn't want them in on aquiring Roberto Luongo. He is 33,and he probably has 5- 6 good years left. i don't see the Leafs making the playoffs in the next 4-5 years anyways unless they address the centre ice position which is at best 29th in the NHL with no help coming up. Their best centre would be a 3rd liner on a contending team. If I was a Leafs fan I would be begging the Cheeseburger brothers to start shipping out guys like Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf and any other veteran of value to contending teams for some legit forward prospects. Toronto's prospect pool while it may be in the middle of the pack in the leauge is heavily loaded with D-men.

FYI there will be lots of teams interested in a top 10 goalie with a 5.3 million dollar cap hit once the CBA gets settled and the season is underway. You had just hope that the Cheeseburger boys don't panic once the Leafs inevitably start sucking again. Burke is on his last legs if people don't start to see some results in Hogtown.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3086
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Aaronp18 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:25 pm

BigTuna wrote:And the future looks plenty bright. 30 million in cap room next summer, a good prospect pool and some nice pieces entering their primes curerntly on the team.


Who exactly would you spend that $30 million on?

Any key player has been or will be locked up long term by their respective teams. Even if the CBA changes this slightly a 5 year term is still a while to wait and use your cap space.

The Leafs are going to need to make some moves and bring in some talented veterans to help bring that prospect pool into the league. Look at the vast majority of the leagues best teams and they have a good range of veterans and young cheap talent.

Like I've said in the past though, I hope Luo doesn't go to TO. Their eternal failure is a Canadian pastime.

:D
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby the Dogsalmon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:31 am

i understand that Lou is into the professional poker world...money says he is bankrupt within 5 years of his career ending...tooo many dollars and not enough sense...this is what happens when God gives you an athletes body(lucky) and the brain(mush) that usually goes with it...
User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby donlever » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:58 am

the Dogsalmon wrote:i understand that Lou is into the professional poker world...money says he is bankrupt within 5 years of his career ending...tooo many dollars and not enough sense...this is what happens when God gives you an athletes body(lucky) and the brain(mush) that usually goes with it...


I don't know what the future holds but at this point he is a tournament player so all he stands to lose is his initial outlay to enter.

Thing is he is sponsored by the BC Lottery Corporation and they have, in the past at least, been covering his buy ins.

Luongo, who has an endorsement deal with the B.C. Lottery Corp.'s Playnow.com website, was in town to play in two World Series of Poker Texas Hold 'Em tournaments at the River Rock.

The B.C. Lottery Corp. is staking poker aficionado and noted puck-stopper Roberto Luongo to a seat in this Week's World Series of Poker tournament in Las Vegas, according to the Vancouver Sun.

He finished 634th out of 6600 players at the World Series Main Event in Vegas garnering almost 20K in winnings.

Luongo was one of the 665 lucky ones who survived to finish in the money, but he was knocked out in 634th place Friday afternoon when his pocket 4s were beaten. Luongo earned $19,227 from the $10,000 buy-in tournament.

A field of 6,598 players began play last weekend
.


As an aside his brother Fabio finished in the low 400's and earned nearly 30K.

He's been playing for quite some time and while not world class is a decent enough player.

If he stays away from Bobbys Room at the Bellagio (or any of the other high stakes tables that the sharks inhabit) he'll likely be okay.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby the Dogsalmon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:07 am

donlever wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:i understand that Lou is into the professional poker world...money says he is bankrupt within 5 years of his career ending...tooo many dollars and not enough sense...this is what happens when God gives you an athletes body(lucky) and the brain(mush) that usually goes with it...


I don't know what the future holds but at this point he is a tournament player so all he stands to lose is his initial outlay to enter.

Thing is he is sponsored by the BC Lottery Corporation and they have, in the past at least, been covering his buy ins.

Luongo, who has an endorsement deal with the B.C. Lottery Corp.'s Playnow.com website, was in town to play in two World Series of Poker Texas Hold 'Em tournaments at the River Rock.

The B.C. Lottery Corp. is staking poker aficionado and noted puck-stopper Roberto Luongo to a seat in this Week's World Series of Poker tournament in Las Vegas, according to the Vancouver Sun.

He finished 634th out of 6600 players at the World Series Main Event in Vegas garnering almost 20K in winnings.

Luongo was one of the 665 lucky ones who survived to finish in the money, but he was knocked out in 634th place Friday afternoon when his pocket 4s were beaten. Luongo earned $19,227 from the $10,000 buy-in tournament.

A field of 6,598 players began play last weekend
.


As an aside his brother Fabio finished in the low 400's and earned nearly 30K.

He's been playing for quite some time and while not world class is a decent enough player.

If he stays away from Bobbys Room at the Bellagio (or any of the other high stakes tables that the sharks inahbit) he'll likely be okay.



you know as well as I do that once the bug bites these guys its just a matter of time...Gina will take 1/2 and the gambling bug will take the rest...i would like to be a tad more optimistic but reality gets in the way...
User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby ukcanuck » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:58 am

the Dogsalmon wrote:
donlever wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:i understand that Lou is into the professional poker world...money says he is bankrupt within 5 years of his career ending...tooo many dollars and not enough sense...this is what happens when God gives you an athletes body(lucky) and the brain(mush) that usually goes with it...


I don't know what the future holds but at this point he is a tournament player so all he stands to lose is his initial outlay to enter.

Thing is he is sponsored by the BC Lottery Corporation and they have, in the past at least, been covering his buy ins.

Luongo, who has an endorsement deal with the B.C. Lottery Corp.'s Playnow.com website, was in town to play in two World Series of Poker Texas Hold 'Em tournaments at the River Rock.

The B.C. Lottery Corp. is staking poker aficionado and noted puck-stopper Roberto Luongo to a seat in this Week's World Series of Poker tournament in Las Vegas, according to the Vancouver Sun.

He finished 634th out of 6600 players at the World Series Main Event in Vegas garnering almost 20K in winnings.

Luongo was one of the 665 lucky ones who survived to finish in the money, but he was knocked out in 634th place Friday afternoon when his pocket 4s were beaten. Luongo earned $19,227 from the $10,000 buy-in tournament.

A field of 6,598 players began play last weekend
.


As an aside his brother Fabio finished in the low 400's and earned nearly 30K.

He's been playing for quite some time and while not world class is a decent enough player.

If he stays away from Bobbys Room at the Bellagio (or any of the other high stakes tables that the sharks inahbit) he'll likely be okay.



you know as well as I do that once the bug bites these guys its just a matter of time...Gina will take 1/2 and the gambling bug will take the rest...i would like to be a tad more optimistic but reality gets in the way...


Speaking of mindless droning about nothing in particular remember this classic ?
[youtube] http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tBPOMBrn ... BPOMBrnzxo[/youtube]
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2421
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby the Dogsalmon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:10 am

poker is not a sport...just like masterbation...it's a activity...
User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:34 am

the Dogsalmon wrote:i understand that Lou is into the professional poker world...money says he is bankrupt within 5 years of his career ending...tooo many dollars and not enough sense...this is what happens when God gives you an athletes body(lucky) and the brain(mush) that usually goes with it...


Thanks for clearing that up for us Dr Phil.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3086
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby BigTuna » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:23 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:
BigTuna wrote:And the future looks plenty bright. 30 million in cap room next summer, a good prospect pool and some nice pieces entering their primes curerntly on the team.


Who exactly would you spend that $30 million on?

Any key player has been or will be locked up long term by their respective teams. Even if the CBA changes this slightly a 5 year term is still a while to wait and use your cap space.

The Leafs are going to need to make some moves and bring in some talented veterans to help bring that prospect pool into the league. Look at the vast majority of the leagues best teams and they have a good range of veterans and young cheap talent.

Like I've said in the past though, I hope Luo doesn't go to TO. Their eternal failure is a Canadian pastime.

:D


Wrong. The UFA list next summer is very good.
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby BigTuna » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:31 pm

[quote="Blob Mckenzie"][quote="BigTuna"]If there's no hockey this year the Leafs might pick first overall. They just drafted Rielly, but yeah, no future. They need to get a mid-30's goalie with a decade left on his contract to help the them get closer to 8th. That sounds like a plan...

If this wasn't about about Luongo, all you Canucks fan would say it's best just to rebuild through the draft and forget about the aging goalie.

Who the hell is going to trade for Luongo? is Florida still even interested?[/quote]

Lol coming from the guy who used to come on this board and the other cc ranting and raving about how great the Leafs were and that they were going to make the playoffs and arguing vehemently about it with everyone. How did that go for you ?

I agree the Leafs should be in rebuild mode and if they were my team I wouldn't want them in on aquiring Roberto Luongo. He is 33,and he probably has 5- 6 good years left. i don't see the Leafs making the playoffs in the next 4-5 years anyways unless they address the centre ice position which is at best 29th in the NHL with no help coming up. Their best centre would be a 3rd liner on a contending team. If I was a Leafs fan I would be begging the Cheeseburger brothers to start shipping out guys like Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf and any other veteran of value to contending teams for some legit forward prospects. Toronto's prospect pool while it may be in the middle of the pack in the leauge is heavily loaded with D-men.

FYI there will be lots of teams interested in a top 10 goalie with a 5.3 million dollar cap hit once the CBA gets settled and the season is underway. You had just hope that the Cheeseburger boys don't panic once the Leafs inevitably start sucking again. Burke is on his last legs if people don't start to see some results in Hogtown.[/quote]


Why trade Kessel? He just turned 25. I hope they give him a huge contract and keep him around for years. That's where "prospects" are overrated. What's the chances a draft pick can do what Kessel is doing?
BigTuna
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby dbr » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:35 pm

BigTuna wrote:Wrong. The UFA list next summer is very good.


The list of upcoming free agents is always extremely impressive a year in advance.

I guess the one thing Leafs fans can hope for is a drastic change in the next CBA that hamstrings most of the league's big spenders but even then the Red Wings will have $20m in cap space, lots of teams will have $15-20m... lots of much better franchises than the Toronto Maple Leafs will have money to throw around.

And frankly (and I am not saying this within the context of the Luongo trade discussion) a team that rolls with James Reimer and Ben Scrivens in net all year is unlikely to attract high end free agents who generally sign with competitive organizations.. the only exceptions being guys like Ryan Suter and Zach Parise who went home.. but that hasn't generally worked out very well for Toronto :lol: so I wouldn't hold my breath.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Diehard1 and 4 guests