Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby dbr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:03 pm

donlever wrote:
Strangelove wrote:.... I distictly remember RD mockingly asking awile back: "Who's next from Florida WEISS??!!" :D



I distictly (sic) remember RD (in his earlier incarnation as BD) telling us all that Rene Vydraney was our next PP QB and we should do whatever we can to draft Milan Gajic out of the BCHL.

:roll:


Still waiting on those predictions to pan out...

Image
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby ESQ » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:If the rumours are true he would consider Toronto then he obviously isn't hung up on being on a contender but rather in a particular market. I rally have no idea how he would define East but I take it as meaning the Eastern Conference but I am guessing.


Whether or not Luongo has a list yet, there is no way Toronto is/would be on it.

Shitty team that will not win a Cup in the ten years left on his contract, shitty weather, franchise he's hated since growing up in Montreal, still a 3-4 hour flight from Florida....no way. That was a made-up story to drive traffic to TSN.ca during the interminably-long Maple Leafs off-season.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby dbr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:07 pm

ESQ their goaltending coach (Francois Allaire) is a guy Lou immensely respects, he demanded the Panthers hire him and I believe he still works with him every offseason.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:25 pm

dbr wrote:ESQ their goaltending coach (Francois Allaire) is a guy Lou immensely respects, he demanded the Panthers hire him and I believe he still works with him every offseason.



Yes, but the Leafs do not feel he developed their goalies properly ( there has been some conflict but that may be gone now that Wilson is gone) and there has been a rumour he was considering retiring from being a goalie coach and concentrating full time on his camps and private clients. Although I am sure Luongo could make it part of the deal.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3927
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Strangelove » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Get out the salt, this rumour was started by Nick Kypreos!!
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7375
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby tantalum » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:38 pm

coco_canuck wrote:
I doubt Howden would be a central part of a package for Luongo.

Gillis could have drafted him if he wanted, and to me it looks like Howden is more likely to be a strong two-way 3rd line winger saviour.


Fixed it for you.

I'd tell Florida the discussion begins and ends with either Gudbranson, Kulikov or Hubredeau.

Other than that, I'm not all that enthused with anyone on their roster other than Mathius, who can be that 3rd line C we're looking for, but I don't like the idea of trading Luongo for a 3rd line C.


Yep one of those three.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:52 pm

ESQ wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:If the rumours are true he would consider Toronto then he obviously isn't hung up on being on a contender but rather in a particular market. I rally have no idea how he would define East but I take it as meaning the Eastern Conference but I am guessing.


Whether or not Luongo has a list yet, there is no way Toronto is/would be on it.

Shitty team that will not win a Cup in the ten years left on his contract, shitty weather, franchise he's hated since growing up in Montreal, still a 3-4 hour flight from Florida....no way. That was a made-up story to drive traffic to TSN.ca during the interminably-long Maple Leafs off-season.


Thanks for clearing that up ... :roll:

Back to the point I would LOVE Huberdeau or Gudbranson but i can't see it happening which is why I brought up Bjugstad and Shore who are both B prospects .

I'd love to see Gudbranson + Bjugstad for Roberto and Tanev...... or perhaps our 1st pick or Schroeder.

I don't think there is anyway Huberdeau moves at all.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Well the retard spoke on Clowns Corner and he was ripping the Canucks for running Luongo out of town.

As usual he is way out in left field and if he hates the move it must be a good one. The guy knows shit about hockey and focuses more on scrums and fights than any other person as if they have a huge bearing on the games. I have never seen such a stupid man get so much mileage out of having a big mouth. He was gifted a job in Boston and never won a cup despite having an amazing team.

When he went to Colorado and Missisauga his real ability, or should I say inability to coach hockey players shined though. The guy is little more than a dummy with a big mouth. It's too bad Pat Quinn didn't cave his melon in that night in a local eatery. I think Quinn got more amusement out of Cherry backpedalling and leaking a pool of urine at the table while Paddy threatened his cowardly ass for badmouthing Pavel Bure. Grapes the yellow prick he is apologized to Quinn and slinked out of the restaurant.
I would say hang em up Grapes but where else can I hear such brilliant quotes like "it aint rocket surgery" and " they are making Luongo the escape goat". His publicists have a hell of a sense of humor .

Keep on keepin on Don.......
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby mathonwy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:34 pm

tantalum wrote:Fixed it for you.

I'd tell Florida the discussion begins and ends with either Gudbranson, Kulikov or Hubredeau.

Other than that, I'm not all that enthused with anyone on their roster other than Mathius, who can be that 3rd line C we're looking for, but I don't like the idea of trading Luongo for a 3rd line C.


Yep one of those three.


Only if we're trading Schneider.

If it ain't Schneider than Weiss is the one that probably makes the most sense.
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby tantalum » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:45 pm

mathonwy wrote:Only if we're trading Schneider.

If it ain't Schneider than Weiss is the one that probably makes the most sense.


They all make sense. The Luongo contract isn't so horrendous that a GM will be doing Gillis a favour. Luongo is a good goaltender that is still at the top of his game and arguably better than he was a few years ago. He has several years left in him.

Dreger is saying TB, PAnthers, Leafs and Hawks on the list. No idea if that is the complete list. I would imagine the Caps may be on the list for instance.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Trading with the Hawks?

I smell a Craig Janey situation with the guy(s) coming the other way.
2011..... the one that got away.
User avatar
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:35 am
Location: The Wack

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby mathonwy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:02 pm

User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby CrzyCanuck » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:34 pm

I find it illogical that most media are predicting we will not get much return for Luongo.

Are people forgetting that Luongo has been one of the top goalies in the past 5 years?? His playoff melt downs might have hindered his overall image but his overall stats, especially in regular season, make him an elite goalie on any team in this league.

Globe and Mail is saying we'd be lucky if we can fetch a late 1st round pick or a middling prospect?

Sure there's Tim Thomas, sure there's also Kiprusoff on the market for free (money only anyway) But let's consider their age and the money they might demand. Both players will most likely be seeking for more than 5.2 million per year as this contract might just be the last contract or both players in their respective NHL careers.

Having said that, and as much as I like Schneider and as much as I want to trade Luongo, I somewhat agree with ODB here. Perhaps trading Luongo may not be the "better" option here. With Luongo there's certainty and expected regular season success and with Schneider it is still unknown. He needs to realize that he will have to take on 65~70 games of workload and will have all the Media spotlight right now. But this is not saying Schneider will fail to meet our expectation. Just with this potential risk involved i think Canucks should try to, as other people mentioned here, field offers for both goalies and see which one can fetch a better offer for the team short-term and long-term.

But in the end, I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

Louie is going back to Gina!

At least this seems like a good break-up between Lou and the Canucks so far.. for now. Who knows if there's going to be any backstabbing knives throwing around after the big trade happens.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
CrzyCanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:19 am

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby Southern_Canuck » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:59 pm

CrzyCanuck wrote:Sure there's Tim Thomas, sure there's also Kiprusoff on the market for free (money only anyway) But let's consider their age and the money they might demand. Both players will most likely be seeking for more than 5.2 million per year as this contract might just be the last contract or both players in their respective NHL careers.


Thomas and Kiprusoff are both under contract for one more season...

Luongo (33 years old) = 6 years, $5.333M (2018) (likely won't play the additional 4 cap circumvention years)
Thomas (38) = 1 year, $5M (2013)
Kiprusoff (35) = 1 year, $5.833M (2013) (likely won't play the additional 1 cap circumvention year)

A team trading for Kiprusoff or Thomas would have to be looking for a short term solution. When Kiprusoff signed the first cap circumvention contract, it was widely speculated that he would be done with the NHL at age 36 (2013) and retire to fish in Finland.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1407
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:15 pm

donlever wrote:
Strangelove wrote:.... I distictly remember RD mockingly asking awile back: "Who's next from Florida WEISS??!!" :D



I distictly (sic) remember RD (in his earlier incarnation as BD) telling us all that Rene Vydraney was our next PP QB and we should do whatever we can to draft Milan Gajic out of the BCHL.

:roll:


Don't close the book on Gajic. As for Vydraney, he didn't live up to expectations, winsome, losesome.

You shouldn't slag someone who is beautifying that ramshackle neighborhood you live in, Leves. 8-)
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4497
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests