Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Yup, no pressure on Tallon, all the pressure is on Gillis. Tallon can wait til the fucking cows come home.
You should scroll up and read Tant's post. :wink:

Then look at Theodore's post-lockout record and ask yourself how likely he is to repeat last season's success at age 36.

Then consider how the Cats owners made it clear they want Lou (more ticket sales? more wins? PLAYOFFS??).

Imagine the disappointment of Florida fans if Lou doesn't return after all the talk and then Jose crashes!

Oh there's pressure on Tallon and you bet he knows last season was a fluke and Theodore won't repeat.

No pressure on Gillis because if there is no Lou trade Canucks are still Cup contenders.

You may not be UP for this game of poker, but Gillis is. :thumbs:
RoyalDude wrote: It's no secret Doc, there isn't a great market for Lou
Well that's just silly.
RoyalDude wrote: , couple that with his limited amount of teams he will waive for....Gillis will have to budge first. Nobody wants to give up what he wants. The only team that is real desperate for a goalie is Toronto and I don't like anything what the Leaves have to offer, not too mention as time wears on, Luongo will really narrow it down to just a couple of teams he will waive for if he hasn't already.
Actually Luongo would likely INCREASE the number of teams he'd waive for IF Tallon doesn't blink first (he will).

I've already listed (coupla times) 8 or 9 teams that could/would/should be looking to upgrade to a top-10 tender

.... and guess what: Lou is the only one available! :shock:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

If TML ownership stepped in and directed Burke to get Luongo, and Burke offered up Phaneuf in a straight up deal, would anyone here take it?

I've haven't been a fan of Phaneuf since his rookie season. He came in all hot-headed and cocky after being one of Canada's best players at the WJC's during the lockout. He had a good rookie year and then tanked. It didn't help that he was playing for the Flames. Now he plays for the Laughs and that's just as bad (if not worse in my books).

However, when I look at our blueline corps, and then look at Phaneuf's game I have to at least consider that he would be a good fit. Phanuef has wheels, he has a BIG right handed shot and can let go on one-timers among the best of them. He loves to hit and he loves to play with on the edge and is as aggressive as they come.

Here's the way I see it, we have.....

Hamhuis, who is one of the most responsible guys in the league on defense and a safe bet at either end of the ice, but he lacks great speed and isn't a big guy who threatens with big hits. He's a solid 2-way guy.

Bieksa, prefers to move the puck and is prone to the occassional brain-fart. Has an edge, is aggressive, but seems to lack the consistent snarl that we want to see from him. It's always plastered on his face, but it doesn't always translate into the game he plays. He's also not a very big guy.

Edler. Everyone says he has lots of upside left in him, though I'm not sold on that I can certainly see why people think that way. He's a good skater, he can hit big time when he wants to, he has a cannon, though it lacks accuracy. When he's on his game he is a guy that every GM wants on their team for long term. But he's not the most aggressive guy out there and plays a laid back game a little too often.

Garrison. Not sure about him, could be a bigger version of Edler.

Ballard has proven he can skate and hip check, but that's about it. He's also on AV's short list for potential bench warmers and healthy scratches.

Tanev is an up and comer. He's proven he has the smarts to play a solid and responsible game without taking any risks or committing poor turnovers. He's not much on offense, and he's not exactly a threat physically, but he's a good bottom pairing guy with top 4 upside.

A guy like Phaneuf gives this blueline a much needed injection of attitude. His price tag is pretty high, and I'm not sure whether or not AV would tame him and nulify his better attributes, however, I think it would be an interesting experiment, and he's young enough to be tradeable if he was a bust in the Canucks' system.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Meds wrote: A guy like Phaneuf gives this blueline a much needed injection of attitude. His price tag is pretty high, and I'm not sure whether or not AV would tame him and nulify his better attributes, however, I think it would be an interesting experiment, and he's young enough to be tradeable if he was a bust in the Canucks' system.
Is it an attitude that Gillis and AV want? AV can be pretty unpredictable in terms of guys he likes (if they aren't French Canadian). AV might like Phaneuf's edge but he also might hate him for his brain farts and overly-aggressive plays that lead to odd-man rushes for the opposition.

More importantly, Phaneuf completely ruins the salary structure Gillis has in place. Phaneuf is not worth $6.5M a year on this team.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Meds wrote:If TML ownership stepped in and directed Burke to get Luongo, and Burke offered up Phaneuf in a straight up deal, would anyone here take it?

NO NO and NO. This guy doesn't have brain farts he has whole gas attacks. Useless is the word that comes to mind. I remember Henrik being asked about Phaneuf and he laughed, saying they liked playing against him. He would charge out of position trying to make a hit, they would slide to the side and duh oh it was now two on one. Phaneuf was once voted by his NHL peers as the most over rated player in hockey. Give your head a shake and just say no to drugs.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Canuck-One wrote:
Meds wrote:If TML ownership stepped in and directed Burke to get Luongo, and Burke offered up Phaneuf in a straight up deal, would anyone here take it?

NO NO and NO. This guy doesn't have brain farts he has whole gas attacks. Useless is the word that comes to mind. I remember Henrik being asked about Phaneuf and he laughed, saying they liked playing against him. He would charge out of position trying to make a hit, they would slide to the side and duh oh it was now two on one. Phaneuf was once voted by his NHL peers as the most over rated player in hockey. Give your head a shake and just say no to drugs.
Um, no...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrO1zQ7KAOc
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

FAN wrote: Is it an attitude that Gillis and AV want?
Nope. It's well established in Cowtown that Phaneuf has a caustic attitude, and that's the main reason he got shipped out.

For a team like the Canucks who could get pushed over the top by one big addition, maybe the guys in the dressing room could suck it up for a year or two if the guy coming in was Norris-calibre. Phaneuf isn't.
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

CaptainTrev wrote:
Nope. It's well established in Cowtown that Phaneuf has a caustic attitude, and that's the main reason he got shipped out.
Not actually correct. It was established that Phaneuf stepped in and tried to take a leadership role that rubbed Regher the wrong way which created a divisive dressing room so the team was left with the choice of either trading Regehr or Phaneuf. Like Dion or not, they made the wrong choice.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Blaster86 wrote:
CaptainTrev wrote:
Not actually correct. It was established that Phaneuf stepped in and tried to take a leadership role that rubbed Regher the wrong way which created a divisive dressing room so the team was left with the choice of either trading Regehr or Phaneuf. Like Dion or not, they made the wrong choice.

:wave: :wave:
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Was reading an Ottawa Sun article by Brennan about how the Sens are still quite short of the current cap floor - by about $ 4 million - and it occurred to me that Ottawa might be a good fit for Luongo. His cap hit would put them above the floor but the way it's structured would make the real dollar hit more palatable for a small-market team like Ottawa. As much as Anderson can put in a really good game or two in a row, Luongo would be a marked improvement and would make the playoffs more of a certainty than a fluke like last year.

In terms of a return, there are pieces there if the trade were to get creative. Luongo and Ballard for Zach Smith, Jared Cowan, Greening/Zibanejad and or a 1st? Maybe a little rich, but it depends on if Ottawa's interested and what the market would be for Lou.

Besides, wouldn't it be rich to see Burke's face as Ottawa beats his Leaves with the goalie he was too stubborn to get?

Anyway, just thinkin...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Lancer wrote:Was reading an Ottawa Sun article by Brennan about how the Sens are still quite short of the current cap floor - by about $ 4 million - and it occurred to me that Ottawa might be a good fit for Luongo. His cap hit would put them above the floor but the way it's structured would make the real dollar hit more palatable for a small-market team like Ottawa. As much as Anderson can put in a really good game or two in a row, Luongo would be a marked improvement and would make the playoffs more of a certainty than a fluke like last year.

In terms of a return, there are pieces there if the trade were to get creative. Luongo and Ballard for Zach Smith, Jared Cowan, Greening/Zibanejad and or a 1st? Maybe a little rich, but it depends on if Ottawa's interested and what the market would be for Lou.

Besides, wouldn't it be rich to see Burke's face as Ottawa beats his Leaves with the goalie he was too stubborn to get?

Anyway, just thinkin...

The look on BB face would be worth it alone :D :D

and
Anyway, just thinkin...
is permitted without a ton of bricks reigning down on your head
cheers
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Lancer wrote:Was reading an Ottawa Sun article by Brennan about how the Sens are still quite short of the current cap floor - by about $ 4 million - and it occurred to me that Ottawa might be a good fit for Luongo. His cap hit would put them above the floor but the way it's structured would make the real dollar hit more palatable for a small-market team like Ottawa. As much as Anderson can put in a really good game or two in a row, Luongo would be a marked improvement and would make the playoffs more of a certainty than a fluke like last year.

Anyway, just thinkin...
Craig Anderson, Ben Bishop and Robin Lehner all say hi. I don't think Bryan Murray would mind upgrading his goalie spot in the short-term, but I think he would have a major problem paying the price that we would be asking for, especially with him holding 2 very good goalie prospects who both look like they will be ready very very soon (particularly Bishop).
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Imagine Florida says nay and Luongo goes on to win the Cup/ConnSmyth trophy? One of those rare goalie puts on a performance shows a year.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

SKYO wrote:Imagine Florida says nay and Luongo goes on to win the Cup/ConnSmyth trophy? One of those rare goalie puts on a performance shows a year.
Imagine how WE would feel if that happens.

Unless of course you're suggesting that he's gonna do it in Canucks colours :mrgreen:
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

CaptainTrev wrote:
SKYO wrote:Imagine Florida says nay and Luongo goes on to win the Cup/ConnSmyth trophy? One of those rare goalie puts on a performance shows a year.
Imagine how WE would feel if that happens.

Unless of course you're suggesting that he's gonna do it in Canucks colours :mrgreen:
I see Luongo like Belfour.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

SKYO wrote: I see Luongo like Belfour.
I can't figure out what you mean by that.