Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Postby mpp » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:48 am

tantalum wrote:Depends if Florida is having trouble signing Versteeg. I'd do a Versteeg plus type of deal....

Versteeg is nice, sure, but I bet they will want to shed salary and Upshall seems like the obvious choice. Perhaps we can get both + the youngsters...

Gillis seems to be thinking about the future too, which leads me to believing he will push hard for Bjugstad. Truth is, with Huberdeau in their ranks, Panthers can probably pull the trigger. I certainly hope so.

It would also be a double whammy. Primo, Panthers are, like, our own East Coast affiliation. I find it easy to cheer a bit for them in the playoffs - I did this spring. Secundo, oh, to be the wall on which Brian Burke will smash his head (along with an innocent fly) when he hears Luongo's a goner...
mpp
CC Veteran

Postby Boston Canucker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:11 pm

tantalum wrote:Depends if Florida is having trouble signing Versteeg. I'd do a Versteeg plus type of deal....

I like the idea of Versteeg. He's a classic #2 line winger. He doesn't do well in the #1 line spot, but give him 2nd pairing D and he can cause havoc, and he shows up in the playoffs. He's another party boy, but I really don't care about that as long as he takes care of biz on the ice.

In thinking more about it, the Florida destination just seems to fit too well for both parties. Tallon is smart enough to know that if you have a team that could be on the way to contending, you can't rely on a 22 year old goalie, however promising, who has played a grand total of 8 nhl games. Tallon could see a Luongo-Schneider scenario, 2.0. Luongo comes in, Markstrom backs up and learns from Rl over the next 3-4 years, the Panthers contend, and then in 3-4 yrs Luongo retires maybe, Markstrom takes over, or what have you.

I could see Tallon seeing more value in Luongo than Burke does. Burke just wants to make the playoffs, Tallon is more ambitious. Despite the Toronto media squawking, it's Van-Fla that is likely the best fit both ways...
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby SKYO » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Versteeg, Bjugstad and a 1st?

With RL/Ray going the other way, Booth can then go to his natural LW side.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Diehard1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:39 pm

SKYO wrote:Versteeg, Bjugstad and a 1st?

With RL/Ray going the other way, Booth can then go to his natural LW side.

Would love that deal but I don't see it happening. Lu has decent value but his contract brings it down. Versteeg is a guy I'd love to see on the 2nd line with Kes and Booth, he's another top 6 guy who can play all over the lineup.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby mpp » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Boston Canucker wrote:In thinking more about it, the Florida destination just seems to fit too well for both parties. Tallon is smart enough to know that if you have a team that could be on the way to contending, you can't rely on a 22 year old goalie, however promising, who has played a grand total of 8 nhl games. Tallon could see a Luongo-Schneider scenario, 2.0. Luongo comes in, Markstrom backs up and learns from Rl over the next 3-4 years, the Panthers contend, and then in 3-4 yrs Luongo retires maybe, Markstrom takes over, or what have you.

I agree to some extent... FLA & VAN make good trading partners, not just because Tallon hearts Gillis and vice versa. The pieces fit.

Problem? I wrote about it before... Jacob Markstrom is already at a higher level than Cory Schneider was at 22. The 2.0 scenario is most likely 2 years away if you ask me. I agree that Luongo right now can't hurt them - it's just that I don't see them doing the right thing and playing Marky as RL's backup allowing him to play 20-25 games. He may simply play - i.e. lose - another year in the AHL. Markstrom is a great goaltender in the making - if they deliberately stall his development like that, things may turn nasty. I just don't know.

On the other hand, how do we feel with Schneider-Theodore tandem? Not saying this will happen, but Theo's 1.5M certainly feels OK here and maybe Tallon goes for the Roberto-Jacob duo after all. Assuming the deal gets done, obviously.
mpp
CC Veteran

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:That's unfair. Mrs Luongo returned to Florida for reasons that had nothing to do with the City of Vancouver. Luongo wanting to be moved, preferable to the East had everything to do with him wanting to be as close to his kids as possible. If he and the Mrs. have reconciled then I would assume she wants to stay close to her family.

Lucky he ain't a soccer players in EU, the Press would be all over it. The Press refer to them as the WAGS ( Wives and Girlfriends ) Stories in the press every day reporting their every move. :D The lady likes to be close to Mom amd Mom wants to be close to the grandchildren. Hey maybe Mom can cover the mortgage :D They own a pizza place before she met Luo she was serving Pizza job with a great future, fair certainly not. But we certainly appreciate all her efforts she's resolved a difficult situation and many would like to thank her :D
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby wafflecombine » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Well, as far as I can see it, the Markstrom issue isn't a concern. He MIGHT be as good as Cory I believe is the operative word. Even though Cory has been highly touted, it really wasn't until last year, IMO, that he really came into his own and captured the imagination of some fans.

To me that scenario is like saying OMG we kept Lou but what about Lack? He's farther ahead of where Cory was at his age. Surely we will be in a goalie controversy again <insert date>

I simply don't think its an issue. They'll do whats best for the team and move along. At the end of the day Markstrom is still only a prospect.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby vic » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:38 pm

wafflecombine wrote:
To me that scenario is like saying OMG we kept Lou but what about Lack? He's farther ahead of where Cory was at his age. Surely we will be in a goalie controversy again <insert date>

Don't know the date, but it will certainly be the day Lack gets a shutout after a Schneider loss the previous game.
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Fred wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:That's unfair. Mrs Luongo returned to Florida for reasons that had nothing to do with the City of Vancouver. Luongo wanting to be moved, preferable to the East had everything to do with him wanting to be as close to his kids as possible. If he and the Mrs. have reconciled then I would assume she wants to stay close to her family.

Lucky he ain't a soccer players in EU, the Press would be all over it. The Press refer to them as the WAGS ( Wives and Girlfriends ) Stories in the press every day reporting their every move. :D The lady likes to be close to Mom amd Mom wants to be close to the grandchildren. Hey maybe Mom can cover the mortgage :D They own a pizza place before she met Luo she was serving Pizza job with a great future, fair certainly not. But we certainly appreciate all her efforts she's resolved a difficult situation and many would like to thank her :D

You can be an $ss sometimes, smiles and all.

I hate that Gina gets the bum rap here. She left because of what her husband did not because of mom, or pizza, or sunshine. He is the one that created this situation for himself and his family. A saint he ain't.

Her reaction I think is pretty typical of a spouse that is in her situation. The fact that they are together in Florida is a good sign for both of them and their family. If thats what it takes for him to keep his family together then I say good for him. Sucks he wants to leave but good for him and good for us we have Cory.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby vic » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:I hate that Gina gets the bum rap here. She left because of what her husband did not because of mom, or pizza, or sunshine. He is the one that created this situation for himself and his family. A saint he ain't.

Her reaction I think is pretty typical of a spouse that is in her situation. The fact that they are together in Florida is a good sign for both of them and their family. If thats what it takes for him to keep his family together then I say good for him. Sucks he wants to leave but good for him and good for us we have Cory.

Is what he did a fact or just a rumor?
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:26 pm

You can be an $ss sometimes, smiles and all.

I hate that Gina gets the bum rap here. She left because of what her husband did not because of mom, or pizza, or sunshine. He is the one that created this situation for himself and his family. A saint he ain't.

Her reaction I think is pretty typical of a spouse that is in her situation. The fact that they are together in Florida is a good sign for both of them and their family. If that's what it takes for him to keep his family together then I say good for him. Sucks he wants to leave but good for him and good for us we have Cory

I'm sure he is no saint but he's be a lot more homely if his wife chose to live with him rather than her Mom. She new when she married a Pro athlete what was in store. It's commonly referred to as eating your cake and wanting to keep it. When she decided to stay and reside in Florida with her Mom & Dad only a complete idiot might not think "hey there may be repercussions here" If she needs to live in close proximity to her parents I'm thinking this is not a long term success story. The sad thing for Luo is he'll lose his kids. I believe the figures are 51% of marriages end up in divorce and approx 80% of the courts award the children to the mother with the father paying... now that sounds fair. :D
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Aaronp18 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Fred - prolly best just to step away from the computer for a while!

:D :look: :D :look: :D
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:37 pm

vic wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I hate that Gina gets the bum rap here. She left because of what her husband did not because of mom, or pizza, or sunshine. He is the one that created this situation for himself and his family. A saint he ain't.

Is what he did a fact or just a rumor?

What do I know? Only what I have been told by a few people but ya, it is rumour. I just hate that the wife gets blamed all the time.

I think i need to stay away from the computer for awhile too! :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:Fred - prolly best just to step away from the computer for a while!

Yeah very likely. Painting a bedroom and just stepped in the paint tray..... I'm not happy. Paint every where :D
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Aaronp18 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Fred wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:Fred - prolly best just to step away from the computer for a while!

Yeah very likely. Painting a bedroom and just stepped in the paint tray..... I'm not happy. Paint every where :D

You're not happy about that eh?

Just think about how pissed Mrs. Luo must have been when she found out he dipping his brush in someone else's paint tray!!

:drink:
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat