Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by rats19 »

mnaslund wrote:Sorry for being so defensive, I just think alot of people are going to be surprised by the return we get for him.....
thats fair enough.....I hope you are wrong but thats just opinion on my part...welcome aboard and don t get too defensive if some seem sensative over some issues...we do bleed blue...glass half full for the most part

rat
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

FAN wrote:
dbr wrote: And yes a rollback or a scenario in which the cap ceiling won't inflate like it has these past few years certainly makes Luongo's contract look better rather than worse.
I'm not sure if you having things right here dbr. If the cap ceiling won't go up like it has in the past, it actually doesn't make Luongo's contract look better and might actually make it look worse.
Well, the cap circumvention aspect of Luongo's deal looks more attractive in an environment where you can't simply create more cap space by waiting a year.

If you think he's going to be worth less than his $5.3m cap hit over most of the rest of his career then I suppose it's small consolation that at least his cap hit isn't $6.7m - but it's probably pretty safe to say any GM who thinks that won't be involved in trade discussions for this player.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

mnaslund wrote: 1. Lou wants out, canucks want to move him- everyone knows this
not gonna touch that one
mnaslund wrote: 2. Lou decides what team he goes to, not our GM
It's a bit of both - Mike Gillis does NOT HAVE TO TRADE HIM. He can park him the press box or in the minors if he chooses. Lou has a No Trade Clause, not a No Movement Clause. If #1 is true and Lou does want out then I'm sure he'd be willing to open up the list of teams in order to be moved. If all he's going to get us is useless picks or b-grade prospects, he would have been traded by now.
mnaslund wrote: 3. For the sake of the dressing room gillis has to move him beforfore the season starts, saying otherwise is just posturing
You have access to the Canucks' dressing room? Wow, that must be fun! What else can you tell us about all the friendships and rivalries in that room?
mnaslund wrote: 4. Lou's contract while not so bad right now, will really hurt aprox 5 years from now
How will it hurt 5 years from now? If anything, the out-clauses worked out in the deal will help the team 5-years from now...here they are:

http://www.faceoff.com/story.html?id=a4 ... 328be5e1d1
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Lu's contract will be beautiful in 5 years for a team like the Panthers. The fifth year is the last season where his salary is higher than his cap hit. After that they start paying out 3.3, 1.6 then a couple of 1.0 million for a 5.3 million cap hit contract which is perfect for Florida.
Until then he is being paid 6.7m for a 5.3 cap hit which is more than fair for a top 10 goalie in his prime.
mnaslund
AHL Prospect

Post by mnaslund »

vic wrote:
mnaslund wrote: 1. Lou wants out, canucks want to move him- everyone knows this
not gonna touch that one
mnaslund wrote: 2. Lou decides what team he goes to, not our GM
It's a bit of both - Mike Gillis does NOT HAVE TO TRADE HIM. He can park him the press box or in the minors if he chooses. Lou has a No Trade Clause, not a No Movement Clause. If #1 is true and Lou does want out then I'm sure he'd be willing to open up the list of teams in order to be moved. If all he's going to get us is useless picks or b-grade prospects, he would have been traded by now.

Ohh really you have access to Mike Gillis' and other GM's thought processes regarding the uncertainty of the cba?? Wow that must be fun!!!
mnaslund wrote: 3. For the sake of the dressing room gillis has to move him beforfore the season starts, saying otherwise is just posturing
You have access to the Canucks' dressing room? Wow, that must be fun! What else can you tell us about all the friendships and rivalries in that room?

I do, and Im assuming you want shower room photos but im sorry to say I dont have any. Doesnt take a grade 12 education to know that having him around would be a huge distraction for the team.
mnaslund
AHL Prospect

Post by mnaslund »

Some of you guys are worse then leaf fans I swear............... Luongo, is essentially useless to our team and I think its Mike Gillis' fault for letting the situation get this out of hand .
mnaslund
AHL Prospect

Post by mnaslund »

Mike Gillis should be fired and bring in a GM willing to do a proper rebuild. We are quickly becoming the calgary flames of the NHL, We made it to the cup finals and having done jack since. We need a GM willing to do what the flames management was not, and that is trade off any assets that still have value which really at this point is the sedins (ie inginla & kipper). If not im worried about what the status of this team will be.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

FAN wrote: The current CBA is set to expire but it hasn't expired yet so it's business as usual as far as trades and contract negotiations go and there's absolutely no reason why the league won't approve a reasonable hockey trade. We've seen teams signing players to long-term contracts before the new CBA so it's not like GMs are scared of taking on long-term contracts before the new CBA.
+1

What ever changes occur in the new CBA will affect all contracts, including Lou's and the other 20 or so long term deals across the league. If teams are willing to sign players to new 8 or 10 or 13 year deals this summer, there is no difference in trading for a similar deal. Business as usual.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
mnaslund
AHL Prospect

Post by mnaslund »

Tciso wrote:
FAN wrote: The current CBA is set to expire but it hasn't expired yet so it's business as usual as far as trades and contract negotiations go and there's absolutely no reason why the league won't approve a reasonable hockey trade. We've seen teams signing players to long-term contracts before the new CBA so it's not like GMs are scared of taking on long-term contracts before the new CBA.
+1

What ever changes occur in the new CBA will affect all contracts, including Lou's and the other 20 or so long term deals across the league. If teams are willing to sign players to new 8 or 10 or 13 year deals this summer, there is no difference in trading for a similar deal. Business as usual.
So what are you saying?? GM's across the NHL are in line at Mike Gillis' office trying to make a trade for Bobby Luo??? if that was the case I think a deal would have been done a month ago. Perhaps Gillis just needs to sweeten the pot a little bit.....Hmmm maybe we can through in those two guy that wear the green suits and have no testicles in, Im sure thats all thats missing from this puzzle.besides thier testicles of course
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

in best Obi-Wan Kenobi voice:

Rat, trust your instincts, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

IT’S A DUCK!!!

And I think most of us are getting tired of ducks at this point....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

mnaslund wrote:Mike Gillis should be fired and bring in a GM willing to do a proper rebuild. We are quickly becoming the calgary flames of the NHL, We made it to the cup finals and having done jack since. We need a GM willing to do what the flames management was not, and that is trade off any assets that still have value which really at this point is the sedins (ie inginla & kipper). If not im worried about what the status of this team will be.

I think that you under-value a few key components of the Canucks.

1) The twins are 31, not 35, so we have 4 more years to go
2) Schneider is 25, not 35.
3) we have a strong supporting cast of forwards
4) we have a strong defense, and 2 rising stars in Edler and Tanev.
5) We have no Sutters in key organization positions.
6) Luongo is a huge asset that will return value, in picks and players
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote:
mnaslund wrote: QUACK!!!
:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I have an awesome farmers tan....but the rest of me Is fair...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Tciso wrote:
mnaslund wrote:Mike Gillis should be fired and bring in a GM willing to do a proper rebuild. We are quickly becoming the calgary flames of the NHL, We made it to the cup finals and having done jack since. We need a GM willing to do what the flames management was not, and that is trade off any assets that still have value which really at this point is the sedins (ie inginla & kipper). If not im worried about what the status of this team will be.

I think that you under-value a few key components of the Canucks.

1) The twins are 31, not 35, so we have 4 more years to go
2) Schneider is 25, not 35.
3) we have a strong supporting cast of forwards
4) we have a strong defense, and 2 rising stars in Edler and Tanev.
5) We have no Sutters in key organization positions.
6) Luongo is a huge asset that will return value, in picks and players
#5 is the key to all 6 points.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Lol... looks like we found some additional support for RD here in the forums!

Have to agree with the 6 points though. I would add in 2012 we were exhausted from the cup run in 2011, Danny got deliberately head hunted and Kesler came back too early and injured himself. In a way, a potential lock-out and delayed 2012-13 favours us.
1. No slow October start.
2. No Lou to blame for a slow start.
3. More time for recovery and training for the players nursing injuries
4. More time for the new recruits to train, learn system and get comfortable in a 'Nucks jersey.

At least that's the glass half full analysis :)