Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by mathonwy »

dbr wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Sigh. I sure hope he doesn't go to TO because I might need to reconsider my perspective on that team if he does.
They might finally become the real deal! :P
Well played sir.

Well played.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

If Luo is on the market, he will be demand a high price. There are already teams that desperately need a quality goalie, and then, here comes Chicago blaming their fall on poor goal-tending! The market for goalies of Luo's elite level will be hot this summer! (obviously, not Chocago!).
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

If he goes to Toronto, I'll have to officially make them my 2nd favourite team.

From #30 to #2 with a single move, makes me sick.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394319

Gillis says Luongo has not asked for a trade nor has he said he will submit a short list of teams. Says they talked and agreed to NOT make any decision until next week. They want to get together either in person or by phone early next week and see where everyone is at. A cooling off period sounds like but MG says TSN rumours are plain false.
The only HW the Canucks need
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Hockey Widow wrote:No surprise, Luongo's family issues are at the heart of his desire to return to the East. He wants a fresh start in a city where he has a chance to reconcile with his wife and with a team he can be the true number one on and hopefully that team will be a playoff bound team.

As to who the Canucks prefer to keep, I think it is Cory. Have I told you that they absolutely love this kid? :D

How is "the East" being defined? Is it a team in the eastern time zone, eastern seaboard or in the eastern conference?

I'm asking as there is still a significant likelihood teams are playing in the 4 revamped conferences in a year or two.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Larry Goodenough wrote:How is "the East" being defined? Is it a team in the eastern time zone, eastern seaboard or in the eastern conference?

I'm asking as there is still a significant likelihood teams are playing in the 4 revamped conferences in a year or two.
Probably conference at the very least - for example Dallas may only be a (relatively) short flight from Miami but they are also in Phoenix, LA, Anaheim, San Jose three times each every year and every other WC city twice.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Hockey Widow wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394319

Gillis says Luongo has not asked for a trade nor has he said he will submit a short list of teams. Says they talked and agreed to NOT make any decision until next week. They want to get together either in person or by phone early next week and see where everyone is at. A cooling off period sounds like but MG says TSN rumours are plain false.
This has a stronger ring of truth to it than the tweets from late yesterday early today.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

A few thoughts on the Luongo situation.

Luongo has finally figured out how to deal with the media and the pressure. Combine that with how Luo dealt with Schneider and the professionalism he displayed this season, and Luongo has continued to develop as a goalie. I bet people around the league have also taken notice. Teams won't be worried about how he'll deal with a transition to a younger goalie when he's 37-38.

The $6.7M yearly salary for 6 years is third most behind Lundqvist and Rinne for goalies, but Luo's cap hit of $5.33M is 8th. Some seem to think the 10-year deal is prohibitive, but it actually offers great security and stability for at least 5 more years, and there's a good chance Luo will still be able to play at a high level until he's 38-39. Even if Luo wants to stick around into his 40's, like Roloson, he'll play for a bargain salary and a high cap-hit, which would teams looking to reach the cap floor, and Luo has proven he can work well with a younger goalie.

Elite goalies typically play at a high level until they're 37-39, and there are numerous players that are comparable to Luongo who have performed in the latter part of their careers.

People think that Schneider has higher trade value, and that's probably right, but the fact that he's an RFA who is a year away from UFA status, there is some uncertainty, and there is limited risk in perhaps overpaying to secure his rights for the next 5-6 years.I have full confidence Schneider will be a great goalie, but it would be premature to assume he will become a better and more consistent goalie than Luongo has been and currently is.

Also, there seems to be concern that the short list of teams Gillis can talk to about Luongo will hurt his value, but Gillis isn't obligated to trade Luongo, and he has leverage of shopping Schneider simultaneously. Those 4-5 teams are not only competing with one another, they're competing against offers being made for Schneider.

This is where Gillis will have to earn his money, and he has many factors working for him.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dbr wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:How is "the East" being defined? Is it a team in the eastern time zone, eastern seaboard or in the eastern conference?

Probably conference at the very least - for example Dallas may only be a (relatively) short flight from Miami but they are also in Phoenix, LA, Anaheim, San Jose three times each every year and every other WC city twice.

Ya I doubt he would care about the travel schedule as much as ease of seeing the kids if he is separated or if his wife chooses to live in Florida during the hockey season. If the rumours are true he would consider Toronto then he obviously isn't hung up on being on a contender but rather in a particular market. I rally have no idea how he would define East but I take it as meaning the Eastern Conference but I am guessing.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

I wonder how much the future of the coaching staff weighs into the future of the goaltending situation as well as the future of a guy like Ballard...

If AV is still the coach of this team next year, is it safe to assume Cory's his guy and Ballard will yet again be a $4.2 million depth defenceman?

If Gillis is planning to bring in a new coach, would it not make sense to get his feedback as far as which goalie he would prefer to move forward with?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

coco_canuck wrote: Also, there seems to be concern that the short list of teams Gillis can talk to about Luongo will hurt his value, but Gillis isn't obligated to trade Luongo, and he has leverage of shopping Schneider simultaneously. Those 4-5 teams are not only competing with one another, they're competing against offers being made for Schneider.

This is where Gillis will have to earn his money, and he has many factors working for him.

Bingo Bango Bongo! Coco wins the prize.

And to top that off he doesn't have to trade either if he elects arbitration for Cory and then accepts the award. This is not a Heatley situation. Although it could be next year when Cory reaches UFA.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: And to top that off he doesn't have to trade either if he elects arbitration for Cory and then accepts the award. This is not a Heatley situation. Although it could be next year when Cory reaches UFA.
I've made my wish of keeping both clear, but it seems more and more unlikely by the day.

Schneider seemed to make it pretty clear that he wanted to be a number 1 next year, somewhere, and Luongo doesn't want to share the job next year, here or anywhere else.

My bet is one of them will be traded, probably Luongo, at the draft. It doesn't seem to be in Gillis' MO to let this drag out for a long time, both for himself, and the two players, especially since he prides himself on treating players "right."

Based on what you've said over the past couple months, Gillis already has a preliminary feel for the interest in Luongo, and he's probably identified a series of players/picks from teams like Toronto and Tampa, and it's a matter of him getting what he wants. As soon as one of the teams gives him what he's looking for, a deal will get done. The draft is a good place to get things done, if it's not done by then, because a number of things can happen that change the landscape in an instant.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

coco_canuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: And to top that off he doesn't have to trade either if he elects arbitration for Cory and then accepts the award. This is not a Heatley situation. Although it could be next year when Cory reaches UFA.
I've made my wish of keeping both clear, but it seems more and more unlikely by the day.

Schneider seemed to make it pretty clear that he wanted to be a number 1 next year, somewhere, and Luongo doesn't want to share the job next year, here or anywhere else.

My bet is one of them will be traded, probably Luongo, at the draft. It doesn't seem to be in Gillis' MO to let this drag out for a long time, both for himself, and the two players, especially since he prides himself on treating players "right."

Based on what you've said over the past couple months, Gillis already has a preliminary feel for the interest in Luongo, and he's probably identified a series of players/picks from teams like Toronto and Tampa, and it's a matter of him getting what he wants. As soon as one of the teams gives him what he's looking for, a deal will get done. The draft is a good place to get things done, if it's not done by then, because a number of things can happen that change the landscape in an instant.

I agree. I think MG has leverage to play bull shit poker with but at the end of the day one will be gone. If Luongo wants out for reasons more than being a number one it will be him. If family issues really are issues MG will do what he can to accommodate him. That may mean getting less than what we may have been able to get for Cory but he will accommodate the personal side of business.

MG likes to operate on the sly. So many times rumours have been just that and then he pulls a rabbit out of somewhere and we get caught off guard. The Sundin offer, the Bernier trade, the offer sheet for Backes, Lappy and Higgins, Booth, Hodgson. My point being that all this talk may just be talk and something else is going on. I have a buddy working it but the players are not up to talking much yet.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

vic wrote:I wonder how much the future of the coaching staff weighs into the future of the goaltending situation as well as the future of a guy like Ballard...

If AV is still the coach of this team next year, is it safe to assume Cory's his guy and Ballard will yet again be a $4.2 million depth defenceman?

If Gillis is planning to bring in a new coach, would it not make sense to get his feedback as far as which goalie he would prefer to move forward with?
I think this line of reasoning makes sense with Keith Ballard (if you think a $4.2m guy on the third pair is a major problem - with a $70m cap ceiling I'm not convinced that is the case), but with two goaltenders of this quality I'm not sure why any coach would be better suited to make a decision than Mike Gillis; either way an incoming coach has an elite goaltender to ride.. although I suppose you could make the argument that each goalie thrives with different styles of play from the team in front of them.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: That may mean getting less than what we may have been able to get for Cory but he will accommodate the personal side of business.
That's the one factor that could drive the return down, but hopefully Gillis will still get what he wants.
Hockey Widow wrote: MG likes to operate on the sly. So many times rumours have been just that and then he pulls a rabbit out of somewhere and we get caught off guard. The Sundin offer, the Bernier trade, the offer sheet for Backes, Lappy and Higgins, Booth, Hodgson. My point being that all this talk may just be talk and something else is going on. I have a buddy working it but the players are not up to talking much yet.
That would not surprise me in the least. The other teams are currently unknown, and I think Florida, based on Gillis' relationship with Tallon, could be one of those deals people didn't see coming.