Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by donlever »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
donlever wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Sorry to make you puke up your breakfast donny, but Luongo goes to TO they'll be my eastern team.
:crazy:

Did I ever mention that I was always the best?
Simply the best.

Better than all the rest.

I ain't typing in the next series of lyrics, no way, no how....
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

donlever wrote:I ain't typing in the next series of lyrics, no way, no how....
Awww c'mon man, you know I hang on every word you say.
2011..... the one that got away.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

wafflecombine wrote:Good analysis HW. Its a little out of step with what I'm reading on TSN and Sportsnet where they are saying Lou won't get us anything but a salary dump and the rail on and on about the length of the contract and whatnot.

I think Lou has value but I guess the ultimate question is how much.
I stole this from HFBoards from Jester00:

"I think waaaaay to much is being made of Luongo's contract. At the time it was signed, it was one of the last "retirement" deals made before the league closed that loophole in the CBA. Starting next year, his deal looks as follows:

12/13 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
13/14 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
14/15 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
15/16 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
16/17 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
17/18 Salary 6.7 Cap hit 5.3
18/19 Salary 3.4 Cap hit 5.3
19/20 Salary 1.6 Cap hit 5.3
20/21 Salary 1.0 Cap hit 5.3
21/22 Salary 1.0 Cap hit 5.3

At the end of the deal he'd be 43, and if anyone thinks he'll still be playing @ 43 for 1.0 million per then they are insane. Starting next year, this deal is essentially a 6 year deal with a salary of 6.7 and cap hit of 5.3. Which is a great deal for an elite goaltender.

At the end of those six years (2018) there is 7 million left for the last 4 years of the deal that could be bought out for 4.7 million spread over the next 8 years ~580k/year. The cap hit over those 8 years would be 2.5m, 4.3m, 4.9m, 4.9m, and then 580k over 4 more years.

The only teams that that may be an issue for are the teams right up against the cap. And again, its irrelavent because the chances of Luongo playing @ 39/40 yrs old for under 2 million/year are slim to none. That was the purpose behind the deal, to get around the cap.

People need to start looking at the deal as a 6 year 40 million dollar contract, because thats all it will end up being. At worst its a 7 year 43.5 million dollar contract and then Luongo retires.

Thats not a bad deal for an "elite" goaltender. So for those who keep saying its a cap dump and Luongo has no value, just stop. It's getting ridiculous. He has value, and if he is made available it won't be just a salary dump."

I like the analysis and think it bears some weight.
The only HW the Canucks need
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Can teams out of the playoffs trade now or do they have to wait until after the cup is won?
2011..... the one that got away.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Lou is a good deal...but please not to Toronto(the centre of the urinal)...please Jesus please...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Can teams out of the playoffs trade now or do they have to wait until after the cup is won?
I believe there is a freeze on player movement. Not sure of the exact date when it's lifted.

Not sure if teams can talk now and then pull the trigger once the season is done though?
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

HW,

That is pretty much how the equation boiled down in my head too. I find it hilarious over on the CDC where a month ago Lou wasn't worth a bag of puck to trade and now they are moaning about a twitter feed from Nick Kypreos saying Lou requested a trade and that its a betrayl and that it completely tanks Lou's stellar value in trade.

‏"Nick Kypreos @RealKyper
#SNPlayoffs #Canucks Luongo asks for trade. Van didn't even need to ask him to waive NTC. He tells them himself in exit meeting he wants out"

I think its perfectly reasonable for Lou to request trade if MG outlined a scenario to him that, at best saw him 50% time in the net and not likely to see playoff games. Writing was on the wall so requesting a no-fault divorce just makes sense. Nothing wrong with controlling your own destiny. Besides that MG would need to know what teams were even an option to deal with. Why waste time on a Columbus deal if Lou is a "hell no" to Columbus.

We will see what sort of Magic MG has up his sleave to make this happen. My bet is nothing happens until the Draft.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Mëds wrote:
vic wrote: <100% TOTALLY FICTITIOUS PROPOSAL, BUT THE POINT SHOULD BE CLEAR>

If a team like Columbus says they'll do either of the following deals:

Nash + 1st Rounder for Schneider and Ballard or Raymond (as a salary dump)
or
Nash + 1st Rounder for Luongo

Luongo won't want to go to Columbus, does that mean Gillis says sorry, we're not trading Schneider?

</100% TOTALLY FICTITIOUS PROPOSAL, BUT THE POINT SHOULD BE CLEAR>
First of all I can't believe you think Columbus would give us Nash and a 1st Rounder for Luongo. That is hilarious, and any GM that gives up his franchise player AND a 1st round pick in exchange for a goaltender with a fairly hefty contract is going to lose his job.....especially when he is the GM of a rebuilding team and said 1st round pick is likely going to be in the top 5 overall.

fic·ti·tious/fikˈtiSHəs/
Adjective:
Not real or true, being imaginary or having been fabricated.

My point was if an offer came that was out of this world and it came down to having to trade Schneider and GMMG said no, he would be one of the stupidest GMs out ther.
FAN wrote: I think I might have missed your point and you subsequently missed mine. Are you suggesting that Luongo can't and won't be traded?
No, I am not suggesting Luongo can't and won't be traded - sorry if it wasn't clear...

What I am basically saying is that Luongo's trade value is limited, as he holds the cards as to where he would be willing to go. When it comes to Schneider, on the other hand, GMMG holds the cards.

If an out of this world offer comes from a team that Luongo does not want to go to like the FICTITIOUS (Mëds) one I mentioned, Gillis needs to pull the trigger.

Everyone knows (or should know by now) that one of the two goalies is going to get moved. IMO, it's Gillis's responsibility as the GM to make the best deal possible which helps the team in the short and long term. That could mean two things, and I'm glad it's not me having to make the decision:

1. Keep Schneider at all costs as the organization feels he is the better option moving forward
2. Make a trade that solves the scoring/grit issues of the team, no matter which goalie needs to get moved as both are elite goaltenders and give the team a chance to win.

All of this is moot if Luongo tells the organization that he doesn't want to be here anymore. If that is the case then he needs to be moved. There is no reason to keep a player here that doesn't want to be here (see COHO).

For the record, IMO, if Luongo wants to stay and he still has a good relationship with the rest of the team, then he's the best option moving forward. They have Lack in the minors to bring up as the backup and mold into a starter in then next 2-3 years when the current window is closed. As someone else mentioned already, If Lack (as a rookie goalie) can handle 15 games, that means the starter will need to play 67 games...Cory hasn't proven he can do this, Luongo has.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:"At the end of those six years (2018) there is 7 million left for the last 4 years of the deal that could be bought out for 4.7 million spread over the next 8 years ~580k/year. The cap hit over those 8 years would be 2.5m, 4.3m, 4.9m, 4.9m, and then 580k over 4 more years."
That buy out is not pretty, but for a team like the Maple leaves it's worth noting that Roberto Luongo will be paid (if he plays) the same amount over his last four years combined that they've paid Jeff Finger to suit up for the Marlies these past two seasons.

Virtually any team in the league can afford a ~$1.5m contract in the minors, hell the Florida Panthers were paying Steven Reinprecht $2m not to play for them up to this year.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Really shows the value in keeping players until you absolutely have to move them. Gillis held on to Schneider a lot longer than many GMs would have and by doing so he should have a replacement #1 to takeover for a guy who just asked for a trade. And he doesn't need to spend assets to get that replacement.

It does suck to see Luongo go but this is the right decision for him to make IMO. I'm a big proponent of family first and that is what he's doing IMO. I don't think this has much if anything to do with schneider starting the last 3 games or Luongo getting booed a few weeks ago(which was stupid IMO). He wants to try to save his marriage and/or be close to his kids when the marriage dissolves. Nothing wrong with that.

My guess at the list is that it is all eastern teams as this will limit his travel and time away and gets him closer to Florida. Tampa and the Panthers are almost assuredly on the list. I would imagine New Jersey and Washington would be as well. Toronto may be given his personal connections.

A short list but one that will undoubtedly have 2 or more teams on it that are very interested in his services (or should be). The return need not be bad. Sure Schneider might bring a bigger return but if a trade has been asked for as is being reported there is no longer a choice to be made.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Can teams out of the playoffs trade now or do they have to wait until after the cup is won?
I believe there is a freeze on player movement. Not sure of the exact date when it's lifted.

Not sure if teams can talk now and then pull the trigger once the season is done though?

Teams can always talk, even if there is a trade freeze. If Luongo gives MG a list of teams next week then MG can get a head start. The teams can agree on a deal in principle but it cannot be consummated nor submitted to the league office for approval until after the freeze. I think his first order of business would be to work out a long term deal with Cory though but perhaps not announce it until a Luongo deal has gone through.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I'm feeling anxiety.

Anxiety over losing a proven #1 goalie that's done everything we've asked him of him (and more).

I feel like we ran him outta town and I feel this overwhelming urge to defend him (even though nobody on this board is attacking him).

God damn it.

Cory will do very well for us, there's no doubt about that. But Luo is a major reason for our current success.

Sigh. I sure hope he doesn't go to TO because I might need to reconsider my perspective on that team if he does.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

mathonwy wrote:I'm feeling anxiety.

Anxiety over losing a proven #1 goalie that's done everything we've asked him of him (and more).

I feel like we ran him outta town and I feel this overwhelming urge to defend him (even though nobody on this board is attacking him).

God damn it.

Cory will do very well for us, there's no doubt about that. But Luo is a major reason for our current success.

Sigh. I sure hope he doesn't go to TO because I might need to reconsider my perspective on that team if he does.

I'd be fine if he went to Toronto. :D
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

mathonwy wrote:Sigh. I sure hope he doesn't go to TO because I might need to reconsider my perspective on that team if he does.
They might finally become the real deal! :P
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote: I'd be fine if he went to Toronto. :D
\

And I don't hold that against you. ;)