Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by ukcanuck »

the Dogsalmon wrote:
donlever wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:i understand that Lou is into the professional poker world...money says he is bankrupt within 5 years of his career ending...tooo many dollars and not enough sense...this is what happens when God gives you an athletes body(lucky) and the brain(mush) that usually goes with it...
I don't know what the future holds but at this point he is a tournament player so all he stands to lose is his initial outlay to enter.

Thing is he is sponsored by the BC Lottery Corporation and they have, in the past at least, been covering his buy ins.

Luongo, who has an endorsement deal with the B.C. Lottery Corp.'s Playnow.com website, was in town to play in two World Series of Poker Texas Hold 'Em tournaments at the River Rock.

The B.C. Lottery Corp. is staking poker aficionado and noted puck-stopper Roberto Luongo to a seat in this Week's World Series of Poker tournament in Las Vegas, according to the Vancouver Sun.

He finished 634th out of 6600 players at the World Series Main Event in Vegas garnering almost 20K in winnings.

Luongo was one of the 665 lucky ones who survived to finish in the money, but he was knocked out in 634th place Friday afternoon when his pocket 4s were beaten. Luongo earned $19,227 from the $10,000 buy-in tournament.

A field of 6,598 players began play last weekend

As an aside his brother Fabio finished in the low 400's and earned nearly 30K.

He's been playing for quite some time and while not world class is a decent enough player.

If he stays away from Bobbys Room at the Bellagio (or any of the other high stakes tables that the sharks inahbit) he'll likely be okay.

you know as well as I do that once the bug bites these guys its just a matter of time...Gina will take 1/2 and the gambling bug will take the rest...i would like to be a tad more optimistic but reality gets in the way...
Speaking of mindless droning about nothing in particular remember this classic ?
[youtube] http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tBPOMBrn ... BPOMBrnzxo[/youtube]
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

poker is not a sport...just like masterbation...it's a activity...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

the Dogsalmon wrote:i understand that Lou is into the professional poker world...money says he is bankrupt within 5 years of his career ending...tooo many dollars and not enough sense...this is what happens when God gives you an athletes body(lucky) and the brain(mush) that usually goes with it...
Thanks for clearing that up for us Dr Phil.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Aaronp18 wrote:
BigTuna wrote: And the future looks plenty bright. 30 million in cap room next summer, a good prospect pool and some nice pieces entering their primes curerntly on the team.
Who exactly would you spend that $30 million on?

Any key player has been or will be locked up long term by their respective teams. Even if the CBA changes this slightly a 5 year term is still a while to wait and use your cap space.

The leaves are going to need to make some moves and bring in some talented veterans to help bring that prospect pool into the league. Look at the vast majority of the leagues best teams and they have a good range of veterans and young cheap talent.

Like I've said in the past though, I hope Luo doesn't go to TO. Their eternal failure is a Canadian pastime.

:D
Wrong. The UFA list next summer is very good.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="Blob Mckenzie"][quote="BigTuna"]If there's no hockey this year the leaves might pick first overall. They just drafted Rielly, but yeah, no future. They need to get a mid-30's goalie with a decade left on his contract to help the them get closer to 8th. That sounds like a plan...

If this wasn't about about Luongo, all you Canucks fan would say it's best just to rebuild through the draft and forget about the aging goalie.

Who the hell is going to trade for Luongo? is Florida still even interested?[/quote]

Lol coming from the guy who used to come on this board and the other cc ranting and raving about how great the leaves were and that they were going to make the playoffs and arguing vehemently about it with everyone. How did that go for you ?

I agree the leaves should be in rebuild mode and if they were my team I wouldn't want them in on aquiring Roberto Luongo. He is 33,and he probably has 5- 6 good years left. i don't see the leaves making the playoffs in the next 4-5 years anyways unless they address the centre ice position which is at best 29th in the NHL with no help coming up. Their best centre would be a 3rd liner on a contending team. If I was a leaves fan I would be begging the Cheeseburger brothers to start shipping out guys like Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf and any other veteran of value to contending teams for some legit forward prospects. Toronto's prospect pool while it may be in the middle of the pack in the leauge is heavily loaded with D-men.

FYI there will be lots of teams interested in a top 10 goalie with a 5.3 million dollar cap hit once the CBA gets settled and the season is underway. You had just hope that the Cheeseburger boys don't panic once the leaves inevitably start sucking again. Burke is on his last legs if people don't start to see some results in Hogtown.[/quote]

Why trade Kessel? He just turned 25. I hope they give him a huge contract and keep him around for years. That's where "prospects" are overrated. What's the chances a draft pick can do what Kessel is doing?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

BigTuna wrote:Wrong. The UFA list next summer is very good.
The list of upcoming free agents is always extremely impressive a year in advance.

I guess the one thing leaves fans can hope for is a drastic change in the next CBA that hamstrings most of the league's big spenders but even then the Red Wings will have $20m in cap space, lots of teams will have $15-20m... lots of much better franchises than the Toronto Maple leaves will have money to throw around.

And frankly (and I am not saying this within the context of the Luongo trade discussion) a team that rolls with James Reimer and Ben Scrivens in net all year is unlikely to attract high end free agents who generally sign with competitive organizations.. the only exceptions being guys like Ryan Suter and Zach Parise who went home.. but that hasn't generally worked out very well for Toronto :lol: so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Poker,baseball, and golf should all be relegated to the same channel.....and it shouldn't be anything like an "X" Sports Network. Maybe TDGN? The Drinking Game Network?

Probably throw the CFL and billards in there too.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Mëds wrote:Poker,baseball, and golf should all be relegated to the same channel.....and it shouldn't be anything like an "X" Sports Network. Maybe TDGN? The Drinking Game Network?

and 'marbles"... :scowl:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

rats19 wrote:
Mëds wrote:Poker,baseball, and golf should all be relegated to the same channel.....and it shouldn't be anything like an "X" Sports Network. Maybe TDGN? The Drinking Game Network?

They could televise the odd game of jacks too.....

And if I'm talking about drinking games, how do I forget the most classic of all Canadian drinking games.....curling!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Mëds wrote:
rats19 wrote:

They could televise the odd game of jacks too.....

And if I'm talking about drinking games, how do I forget the most classic of all Canadian drinking games.....curling!

...and while they were playing folks could shoot them in the head.

Or the knees.
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Now that's a drinking game (and great television)!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

donlever wrote: ...and while they were playing folks could shoot them in the head.

Or the knees.
Only if the shooters were drinking too.....fair play and all ya know.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I'm assuming these are all things that you suck at ?? :lol: :lol: That said poker isn't a sport it is a game. Taking a whack at golf and baseball is amusing , considering baseball requires more hand eye coordination than ANY other sport played.

Maybe you equate baseball to slow pitch where a person can get gassed and play ????
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

baseball is a really difficult sport to excel at...the average joe can golf etc..maybe not be good at it but can do it.. unless you are a decent ballplayer you just dont play. all others play slowpitch..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
I'm assuming these are all things that you suck at ?? :lol: :lol: That said poker isn't a sport it is a game. Taking a whack at golf and baseball is amusing , considering baseball requires more hand eye coordination than ANY other sport played.

Maybe you equate baseball to slow pitch where a person can get gassed and play ????
Not a shot at the degree of skill it takes to play those games.

And yes, I do suck at both of those. Though I haven't really played much golf, and when I have I've been relegated to rental clubs which don't really do much for the game of a guy who is 6'6" tall.....but that is neither here nor there.....

Hell, darts requires a fairly high degree of hand-eye.....it's hardly a sport.

I equate sports to something that requires a high level physical effort resulting in perspiration and some labored breathing.

Baseball, well the most I've ever sweated playing that is out in the hot sun while drinking cold beer.

Golf.....ditto.

Personally I find baseball beyond boring to watch, it's alright to play, but it's more for the social aspect of it than the actual competition.