Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:
Corb wrote:He couldn't have handled that any better IMO.

...and at (potentially) the end of his tenure he finally figures out how to handle himself publicly.

:cry:
Are you pumping his tires?

Prepping him for a fuel efficient drive to the airport?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Good news for Luongo, if he really wants to move.
Good news for GMMG, as his options are much wider than they were this morning.
Good news for Scheider, who might get the blessing and curse that comes with being Van's #1.
Good news for the team, who now have more options.
Good news for the fans, who now know that we will still have elite goaltending no matter what happens.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Good news for Gina.
2011..... the one that got away.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ESQ wrote:To me, the most curious thing is the timing.

Its clear this isn't something that just popped into his head, he's been planning to say this right after the Canucks got eliminated for quite some time. This gives credence to HW's rumours about him wanting out since the beginning of the year at least.

The other curious bit is him saying he'd waive the NTC because "its for the good of the team". Nobody waives an NTC for the good of the team, not even Mats Sundin. It sounds to me like he's trying to go out on a high note to deflect attention from the rumour that his wife has left him and that he wants to go back to the East Coast.

I was in Ottawa going for breakfast when the trade was announced. I still believe this is the greatest trade the Canucks have ever pulled off. That said, the lustre on Luongo has come off a bit for me because he signed this mega-contract without making sure his personal life would fit it. He made a commitment to the city and the team that he wasn't in a position to make, and that kinda pisses me off.

At the end of the day though, the contract doesn't really hurt his trade value, especially with a wicked cap hit.
It's not like he's going to come out and say 'I banged some Vancouver ho-bitch and my wife is telling me she'll take the kids and half the millions if I don't move closer to home'. 8-)

Very cool, he just wrote an open check for us. Classy. We need a strong D-man. Quite a few teams looking for a (former) proven #1 starting goalie with an Olympic gold medal around his neck....

#keepgingerbetweenthepipes
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Eventhough Luongo has said he'd waive his NTC, I seriously doubt it will be a full out waiver, so he still gets to control where he goes.

Gillis should shop them both and get the best deal he can. Just for shits and giggles, what if out of all the teams out there, Toronto offered up the best deal for the Canucks and were willing to take either goalie. If Luongo says "NO to Toronto" does Gillis simply say sorry Brian, we'll go for the next best deal?

The reason the team won game 4 was because they got that extra goal.

The reason they lost game 5 was because the team did exactly what they've done all year long (leave a guy in front of the net with 4 of them looking at the goalie or the puck) and not being able to score that 2nd goal to put the game away.

Schneider could very well be the 1st Canuck goalie to register a goal, but he won't score enough to win a series.

Finally, I don't buy the cap space argument. If Luongo is traded, Cory will get at 3.5 - 4 mil per year. They'll need to bring in a backup who will get 750k/ year which frees up at most 1 mil in cap space or as little as 500K.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Arachnid wrote:#keepgingerbetweenthepipes
Hey, I thought we all agreed to stop calling him Ginger seeing how much he detests that term?

Now grow the hell up and start referring to him as Mary-Ann like we discussed.

2011..... the one that got away.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

No surprise to me. I think he has handled this with class but as all things Luongo there is an ulterior motive. Don't think for one second if his personal life here was all roses he would be so willing to waive his NTC. His contract states he can't ask for a trade so what better way to get the message across then to publicly say he would waive. I still think he handled it with class but it's not all about doing what is best for his team.

And yes, I do believe Tampa was one of the teams MG talked with deadline day. I just don't know who the other one was but both were about Luongo. I have no idea what the return would be but if Luongo does not handcuff the Canucks to one or two teams the return should be decent.

I imagine there will be a number of teams phoning to inquire and they should. Luongo is still a top number one on any team. If I'm Gillis I simple wait until I get my offer. If need be you take Cory to arbitration and bide your time over the summer. Luongo has a great cap hit and long term his contract will be easy to manage salary wise. And it is likely that he does retire before the term expires.

The haters want to hate but I think MG should get a good return for this guy.

Can there be any doubt now which one goes and which one stays? The Canucks absolutely love Cory. Have I told you that?
The only HW the Canucks need
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Well I think GMMG should call his buddy Dale in Florida and tell him we'd be happy to ship him Luongo and Edler for Weiss and Gudbranson.

8-)
DeLevering since 1999.
Sick Bunny
CC Veteran

Post by Sick Bunny »

vic wrote:Schneider could very well be the 1st Canuck goalie to register a goal,
Mike Fountain came close.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Sick Bunny wrote:
vic wrote:Schneider could very well be the 1st Canuck goalie to register a goal,
Mike Fountain came close.
SB in the HT forum?? :shock:

Was it something I said? :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..and with a post of grandiose proportions as well.
DeLevering since 1999.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Corb wrote:He couldn't have handled that any better IMO.
I was surprised at how he did this and very pleased. I had a lot of respect for him before and now it is more, I do wish he is moved and we use the cap space for a #1 D or a #2 C power forward.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

I agree that this is a best case scenario involving our goaltender situation. Assuming Lu would want to go to the east coast, the door is wide open for teams to start making pitches and there are plenty of them in dire need of a top end goalie.

Tampa and NJ would be playoff locks if not solid cup contenders, not to mention Philly who are still alive despite their goaltending. Toronto and NYI would gain some credibility, although I would have to wonder of Lu would waive the NTC for them. If he thought he was in the spotlight in Vancouver, TO is that times 10. NYI is one of those places a person tries to avoid and they already have a goalie under a long term contract.

If one assumes validity of all the rumors, Tampa makes the most sense. One year removed from a great playoff run, only to be stuck with abysmal goaltending. I only wonder if they have already (unofficially) been discussing it.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

vic wrote:
Finally, I don't buy the cap space argument. If Luongo is traded, Cory will get at 3.5 - 4 mil per year. They'll need to bring in a backup who will get 750k/ year which frees up at most 1 mil in cap space or as little as 500K.
No.

Cory made a salary this year as well.

So Luongo and Schneider equals 6.2 million this year.

Schneider and back up equals 4.4 million (3.5 and 900K) next year.

Cap space created 1.8 million.
DeLevering since 1999.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Arachnid wrote:#keepgingerbetweenthepipes
Hey, I thought we all agreed to stop calling him Ginger seeing how much he detests that term?

Now grow the hell up and start referring to him as Mary-Ann like we discussed.

*takes off Docs white cap and hits him over the head with it* See?! I told you we passed that motion! :evil:

Mmmmmmmary Ann......
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)