Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:Maybe we have to wait a bit to see how it all unfolds.
One thing is for certain; we will definitely have to wait to see how it all unfolds!

I think this is going to be a very interesting off season for the Canucks. Last year, Gillis basically just had to bring everybody back from the 2011 cup run. This year, there are some serious decisions to be made.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

ODB wrote:
For every “next great goaltender” there’s a Steve Mason. Three years ago he wins the Calder, 33 games with a .916 SV% and GAA of 2.29. At 20 years old he was the darling of the NHL, the next big thing. He hasn’t come close since. He sucks!
Don't forget about Mike Smith - thought by many to be ready to take a starting role, traded to TB for Brad Richards. Took 4 years for him to become the goalie he his today.

The current edition of the Vancouver Canucks doesn't have 4 years, they have 2 (maybe 3) to win a cup. I agree they can't take a risk bringing in a new starter.

The team should be focused on getting the offensive assets they need for CS and bringing up Lack to eventually replace Luongo in a few years.

If this latest post-season proved anything, doesn't matter who was in net during the SCF last year, doesn't matter who was in net against LA this year, if the team can't score, they can't win.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

The thing about Smith is... he's seriously benefited from Sean Burke. He's regarded as the best goaltending coach in the game. I read a good article a while back where the author said he fully expected Bryzgalov to suck in Philly and for Smith so be very good in Phoenix.

Smith's numbers in Dallas and Tampa are not close to what he's doing now. Credit Smith for sure but you also have to give credit to Burke for the fantastic job he did with Smith and Bryzgalov.

Sorta off topic I know,

But I hear what you're saying vic.

Can the Canucks afford to play a few season's with any kind of bumps in the road? The clock is tick tocing!

Luongo won 15 games last spring... he lost some on his own for sure but, he also won some on his own.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I'm still hoping for Malhotra to bounce back after a full summer of training (something he didn't have last season). As for his trade value, I can see a team taking on Malhotra. Malhotra has a pretty good reputation around the league for his leadership and his leadership is something I would be hesistant to take away from the room if I was Gillis.
vic wrote: The current edition of the Vancouver Canucks doesn't have 4 years, they have 2 (maybe 3) to win a cup. I agree they can't take a risk bringing in a new starter.

The team should be focused on getting the offensive assets they need for CS and bringing up Lack to eventually replace Luongo in a few years.
But having Schneider as the starter wouldn't be considered bringing in a new starter. I don't think there are guys on the team who consideres Schneider the backup goalie rather than a 1B option.

i think the team should be focused on keeping the goalie that management thinks is the best goalie going forward with ability and contract in mind and not about which goalie would give the team the best return in a trade. Gillis can't afford to be short-sighted here.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

FAN wrote:
i think the team should be focused on keeping the goalie that management thinks is the best goalie going forward with ability and contract in mind and not about which goalie would give the team the best return in a trade. Gillis can't afford to be short-sighted here.
Totally disagree, Fan.

<100% TOTALLY FICTITIOUS PROPOSAL, BUT THE POINT SHOULD BE CLEAR>

If a team like Columbus says they'll do either of the following deals:

Nash + 1st Rounder for Schneider and Ballard or Raymond (as a salary dump)
or
Nash + 1st Rounder for Luongo

Luongo won't want to go to Columbus, does that mean Gillis says sorry, we're not trading Schneider?

</100% TOTALLY FICTITIOUS PROPOSAL, BUT THE POINT SHOULD BE CLEAR>

What Luongo said in the press conference was totally blown out of proportion and became media hype. Yes, Luongo did say he would be willing to waive his NTC, but he didn't just say it, he answered a question. Reminds me last year when a reporter asked one of the Sedins (can't remember which one) "You think you'll win tonight?" and Sedin answered "Yes", the headlines where "Henrik/Daniel Says The Canucks Will Win Tonight". WTF is he suppose to say, "No"?

Unless Luongo specially tells Gillis he wants out, it's the GM's responsibility to go out and find the best possible deal he can, whichever goalie it involves.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

vic wrote: Nash + 1st Rounder for Schneider and Ballard or Raymond (as a salary dump)
NOW you're talkin! :thumbs:

Except we won't be getting their first rounder and we don't hafta salary-dump Raymond (let him walk)...

Nash for Schneider :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

This could be a "Phil Kessel" moment...

The Bruins trade Kessel in 2009 for what ends up to be Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton, restocking for the next chapter, but still win the Stanley Cup two years later without Kessel.

Boston dealt from their strength in offensive forwards with Bergeron, Savard (at the time), Krejci, Recchi, Wheeler, Sturm, Ryder and Lucic.

If the Canucks can restock the team by trading from goalie strength for a couple of blue chip prospects, they may be able to prepare for the next chapter after the Sedins - and still be in a position to win a Stanley Cup within the next two years.

If Schneider garners better offers, the Canucks might be better off in the long run to trade Cory and keep Luongo... plus they have Lack and Cannata as pretty good prospects already.

However, if Luongo can bring a 1st round pick and blue chip prospect, then it would be smart to keep Schneider and trade Roberto.

Big offseason is right.

I think Toronto will go after Luongo, after reading what Dave Poulin said:

When he was asked if the leaves would be in the running for a goalie who would come in and demand starter status, Poulin said every option is on the table.

"We're trying to make this hockey club better," said Poulin. "We know it was a challenge at that position this year, and it might work out very well to couple a group together, so we are definitely exhausting every avenue to make this hockey club better."

Even if that means taking on a big contract?

"We look at every opportunity," added Poulin. "I think each one is a separate entity to talk about and to evaluate and I don't think there's a hard-and-fast rule that we can do this or we can't do that. As we go through here, we push and challenge each other to think and expand our thought process on how to make this hockey club better."

I bet Burke is pissed about that comment!

I like the idea of Luke Schenn and a 1st round pick that has been mentioned...

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Luke Schenn and a 1st rounder for Roberto ? I would jump at that and so would Gillis I assume.

I can't see a team giving a young potential top 4 d -man and a high pick for Roberto Luongo without throwing a millstone in there ( Mike Komisarek) . Hey if the Leaves want to send Schenn and a 1st round pick or Bozak and Schenn I am all over it. I just don't think it will be that easy.

Vancouver may have to take back Phaneuf .... :shock:

I see the Panthers or Lightning as trading partners and in either case Gillis would need to get Connolly from T-Bay or Nick Bjugstad or Drew Shore from the Panthers. The front end of this machine needs a mini rebuild and no fucking bondo please. I could see Stevie Y wanting to throw in a contract ( Ryan Malone.... no problem with him ) while maybe Tallon and Gillis have a side deal where he finally gets to eat the bad contract.

It will be interesting.

I really need to check out the Devils prospect pool ( forwards of course , preferably centres).

I really can't see any other suitors in on this ....... Hawks ?????????

Ummm no.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Due to my work schedule I don't have the luxury of watching a lot of the Eastern teams. So when Blob puts forth a name I search the records and see what I can read about them. I have to say Blob that these guys sound good but it is all POTENTIAL and maybe that's what it will end up being. Although I can't help but believe that MG will want a proven top 3 forward or top 2 D. Some of these kids sound great but so have a lot of others who ended up going nowhere. Potential only counts when it's realized. I dunno but if I were the GM, trading for an unknown factor wouldn't work for me in this case. We are trading a top 5 or 6 goaltender and we want fair value in return, not potential.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

vic wrote:
FAN wrote:
Totally disagree, Fan.

<100% TOTALLY FICTITIOUS PROPOSAL, BUT THE POINT SHOULD BE CLEAR>

If a team like Columbus says they'll do either of the following deals:

Nash + 1st Rounder for Schneider and Ballard or Raymond (as a salary dump)
or
Nash + 1st Rounder for Luongo

Luongo won't want to go to Columbus, does that mean Gillis says sorry, we're not trading Schneider?

</100% TOTALLY FICTITIOUS PROPOSAL, BUT THE POINT SHOULD BE CLEAR>

What Luongo said in the press conference was totally blown out of proportion and became media hype. Yes, Luongo did say he would be willing to waive his NTC, but he didn't just say it, he answered a question. Reminds me last year when a reporter asked one of the Sedins (can't remember which one) "You think you'll win tonight?" and Sedin answered "Yes", the headlines where "Henrik/Daniel Says The Canucks Will Win Tonight". WTF is he suppose to say, "No"?

Unless Luongo specially tells Gillis he wants out, it's the GM's responsibility to go out and find the best possible deal he can, whichever goalie it involves.
First of all I can't believe you think Columbus would give us Nash and a 1st Rounder for Luongo. That is hilarious, and any GM that gives up his franchise player AND a 1st round pick in exchange for a goaltender with a fairly hefty contract is going to lose his job.....especially when he is the GM of a rebuilding team and said 1st round pick is likely going to be in the top 5 overall.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

In the end, when Gillis and Luongo talk if Luongo wants out he will be moved.

If he doesn't let GIllis know then Schneider will be moved.

If Luongo says he would love to stay in Vancouver but would also accept a move to City A, B or C then Gillis will likely hsop both goaltenders and see what helps the organization the most. What helps the organization the most may or may not be the best return.

But Gillis is not going to ask Luongo to waive his NTC. It will have to come from Luongo.
Last edited by tantalum on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well, we know that MG and company did what they had to, to inflate Cody's trade value, in their opinion, maybe they are doing the same with Cory?

Maybe all of this is posturing including Luongo saying he would waive if asked. Maybe the plan all along is to get Cory's trade value so high they hit a home run.

Maybe Donny is right. At some point MG and company silently made a determination that this team was not going to win the prize this year and so they started posturing for next season. MG did say that Cory's emergence as a true number one has complicated things. Cory was given key games, pivotal games to see how he would perform and he was given 3 consecutive playoff games where he was stellar. Maybe Luongo knows all of this. Maybe Gina is in on the rope a dope. :D

Maybe we have to wait a bit to see how it all unfolds.

please stop fucking with my head...that is deep...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Lou for Huberdeau and Howden and a 1st rounder( better plan)
or
Lou for Conolly and 2 first rounders
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Toronto should be offering up the #5 pick for either of the goaltenders but you just know Burke is too stubborn to do that for Luongo. He'd rather save his ego than fix his goaltending.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

tantalum wrote:Toronto should be offering up the #5 pick for either of the goaltenders but you just know Burke is too stubborn to do that for Luongo. He'd rather save his ego than fix his goaltending.
Did you read Dave Poulin's comment? I read it as a direct comment on Burke's claim that he will never do a "cap circumvention contract"...

Poulin's words:

Even if that means taking on a big contract?

"We look at every opportunity," added Poulin. "I think each one is a separate entity to talk about and to evaluate and I don't think there's a hard-and-fast rule that we can do this or we can't do that. As we go through here, we push and challenge each other to think and expand our thought process on how to make this hockey club better."

Hahaha - "expand our thought process". Luongo is a Maple Leaf.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!