Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i get the impression that GMMG does not have a good grip on the problem...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

******yawn, fart******.........they won't shut the NHL down for a whole year. If they do the game is done like dinner.

Gillis hasn't painted himself into a corner by not making a deal yet and he won't have to take scraps back for Luongo.

There will be a shortened season and teams that are having goaltending problems will have those problems amplified and will need to make a deal for a top end goalie a hell of a lot quicker in a 60 game season than an 82 game season.

Unlike most of the pessimistic, bitter fans who carve Gillis at every opportunity I have confidence he will make good deal .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:******yawn, fart******.........they won't shut the NHL down for a whole year. If they do the game is done like dinner.

Gillis hasn't painted himself into a corner by not making a deal yet and he won't have to take scraps back for Luongo.

There will be a shortened season and teams that are having goaltending problems will have those problems amplified and will need to make a deal for a top end goalie a hell of a lot quicker in a 60 game season than an 82 game season.

Unlike most of the pessimistic, bitter fans who carve Gillis at every opportunity I have confidence he will make good deal .
OK Blobby Bear Extra Old Stock Tall Boys, draw up a scenario for Chef Boi RD...what 'realistic' return to the Canucks do you foresee happening in a Luongo trade?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:******yawn, fart******.........they won't shut the NHL down for a whole year. If they do the game is done like dinner.

I see it the same way Blobby (I don't think season will be shortened, but if it is it's not a bad situation for Gillis).

All these "sky is falling" posters tend to take centre stage every summer. :drink:

i STILLfigure the trade will be something like Matthias (underrated), Petrovic, and a 2nd.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

I kind of think the lock out changes the dynamic as well.

One might be concerned about Luongo becoming a distraction were everything status quo, but if the lock out drags for a few months the season will be shorted and every thing will be weird and rushed anyway.

In my mind the best way to maximize the return on Luongo is to wait until someone really has a need to fill.

Gillis really should sit and wait until he gets the right offer, moving Lu for table scraps really makes no sense yet.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

A team that is rarely brought up is the Flyers. I know they have Ilya Bryzgalov but he's not the answer c;early and Philly is a team that is not afraid to make a move. They're flush with propspects including Centre Sean Couturier. Maybe Philly might be willing to jettison IB...who knows to the leaves.. they could do some really damage in the east with a quality goalie :D
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Flyers could be a player if they can somehow ditch Bryzgalov.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Fred wrote:A team that is rarely brought up is the Flyers. I know they have Ilya Bryzgalov but he's not the answer c;early and Philly is a team that is not afraid to make a move. They're flush with propspects including Centre Sean Couturier. Maybe Philly might be willing to jettison IB...who knows to the leaves.. they could do some really damage in the east with a quality goalie :D
Bryzgalov would probably veto a deal to Toronto. He has a NMC with a cap hit higher than Lou's until 2020. And Couturier isn't going anywhere.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Bryzgalov. has a close association with BB from his Ducky days Truth be told the Flyers can't go into another season with that guy they might waive him or buy him out. They're likely closer to the Cup than Vcr
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:And Couturier isn't going anywhere.
Agree. A pretty big under-statement in fact. Couturier proved as an 18 year old in his rookie year of the NHL why for the longest time he was ranked no. 1 of his draft class leading up to the draft. A real big steal by the Flyers at the draft.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:Bryzgalov. has a close association with BB from his Ducky days Truth be told the Flyers can't go into another season with that guy they might waive him or buy him out. They're likely closer to the Cup than Vcr
yeah well, unitl, Bryzgalov is shipped out of Philly, if ever. A luongo trade with Philly ain't happenin'. But, I definitely could see the wheels turning in Holmgren's head on this, so I do think it's a possibility, but no sure who they'd be willing to part with. The Schenn bro's are re-united so neither of them are going, either is Simmonds or Couturier. Read maybe? Voracek?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: i STILLfigure the trade will be something like Matthias (underrated), Petrovic, and a 2nd.
This is probably the most realistic return for what the Canucks could get from Florida, one that I would be happy with. Petrovic definitely fills a need on this team, not to mention he is a right sided, right shot defenseman and big and tough as nails and decent skill set.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:And Couturier isn't going anywhere.
Agree. A pretty big under-statement in fact. Couturier proved as an 18 year old in his rookie year of the NHL why for the longest time he was ranked no. 1 of his draft class leading up to the draft. A real big steal by the Flyers at the draft.
When u look at the Flyers you have to say they're a pretty active team, good drafting and trades with the excepition of goal tending. They're not afraid of changing things up
cheers
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The new CBA may allow buyouts. If so I could see the Flyers buying out and then trading for Luongo but they would have to have a deal in place before they go the buyout route. If they think Luongo is an upgrade over what they have that is. Money is not going to be a problem with them so they would have to think he brings something they are missing.

But if that Russian guy would waive to Toronto then I could see them dumping him for a bag of pucks to get a chance at Luongo so there may be options but we won't know for a while yet. I still think MG is best served by dealing Luongo before the 15th.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote: I kind of think the lock out changes the dynamic as well.

One might be concerned about Luongo becoming a distraction were everything status quo, but if the lock out drags for a few months the season will be shorted and every thing will be weird and rushed anyway.

In my mind the best way to maximize the return on Luongo is to wait until someone really has a need to fill.

Gillis really should sit and wait until he gets the right offer, moving Lu for table scraps really makes no sense yet.
Not sure how this will play out regarding the lockout, but IMHO, the longer this drags out the worst it gets for Gillis. Lou may say all the right thins but he will start getting mighty impatient to begin life with his new team and may just force the hand. This has all the makings of getting uglier the longer it drags out. It's in Gillis best interest to keep Lou happy and open to as many teams as possible, the unhappier Lou gets the more demands he starts putting on Gillis. I think Lou really wants to go back to Florida.