Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by dbr »

I often wonder about that - I know "going full-Farhan" means that there probably weren't hours of deliberation over the bottom pairing in that lineup, but - it seems like a lot of fans think that having a "#1" defenseman means you don't need a #4 or a #5 guy.

I don't see the value in that, even if your Shea Weber (or whoever) is playing six minutes a game more than Alex Edler would that still leaves eight or nine minutes of the bottom pairing out there on their own.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Now we all know Daren Dregger is an asshat but there better be NO TRUTH to what he's saying. Which is basically the Canucks will have to give Luongo to Toronto and take a shit contract like Komisarek (4.5 for two more seasons) back!

WTF!

If that is the reality.... There's no decision to make. Schneider gets moved and we get something in return.

Why deal a superstar goaltender (he was our captain, remember) to one of four teams that will low ball the shit out of us when we can deal a potential superstar goaltender anywhere we want? There are potentially 10 teams that would bid on Schneider. There are also potentially 10 teams that would be interested in Luongo but he won't entertain playing at 5 or 6 of them.

If GMMG trades Lou to Chicago I will no longer follow the Canucks! That simply can not happen!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ODB wrote:Now we all know Daren Dregger is an asshat but there better be NO TRUTH to what he's saying. Which is basically the Canucks will have to give Luongo to Toronto and take a shit contract like Komisarek (4.5 for two more seasons) back!

WTF!

If that is the reality.... There's no decision to make. Schneider gets moved and we get something in return.

Why deal a superstar goaltender (he was our captain, remember) to one of four teams that will low ball the shit out of us when we can deal a potential superstar goaltender anywhere we want? There are potentially 10 teams that would bid on Schneider. There are also potentially 10 teams that would be interested in Luongo but he won't entertain playing at 5 or 6 of them.

If GMMG trades Lou to Chicago I will no longer follow the Canucks! That simply can not happen!
We all know Dregger is has a cheeseburger up his ass
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Topper wrote:
ODB wrote:Now we all know Daren Dregger is an asshat but there better be NO TRUTH to what he's saying. Which is basically the Canucks will have to give Luongo to Toronto and take a shit contract like Komisarek (4.5 for two more seasons) back!

WTF!

We all know Dregger is has a cheeseburger up his ass
Agreed!
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Boston Canucker wrote:I do see Gillis looking to make the RL deal a bigger package deal, to see if he can re-shape the team in a few ways, get his hands on a Connolly type player.
I wouldn't rule out a three-way deal between Vancouver, a team like Tampa and a team like Columbus, Nashville or New Jersey (just for argument's sake). I think there are fewer untouchables on the team than before. I'd say Booth, Edler and Kesler would be moveable depending on the deal, not that I see MG actively shopping any of them. This could be a very different-looking team come October. I don't see it as very likely, but we'll see.

I think the first domino that must fall is a deal with Schneider. From there, all other moves will flow. The last thing MG wants to happen is he trades Lou and then Schneider gets offer-sheeted before MG can file for arbitration (believe there's a couple days' window) or Schneider's agent plays hardball. That said, I'm confident that MG should get a deal done by 1 July if not before the draft.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Lancer wrote: The last thing MG wants to happen is he trades Lou and then Schneider gets offer-sheeted before MG can file for arbitration (believe there's a couple days' window) or Schneider's agent plays hardball.
This would be the height of incompetence.

No way this happens or is even close to happening.

If it does GMMG should be fired on the spot.
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ODB wrote: ...when we can deal a potential superstar goaltender anywhere we want?
Awesome!!
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

If this is the case then I'd have to wager that Luo will not be going to TO.

Can't see Gillis doing that, and I think Dreger is molding his own opinions into whatever intel he's getting from his closest cuz Randy.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

donlever wrote:
ODB wrote: ...when we can deal a potential superstar goaltender anywhere we want?
Awesome!!
LOL, Did you miss my point?

One is a superstar, one has the potential to be a superstar...
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ODB wrote:
donlever wrote:
Awesome!!
LOL, Did you miss my point?

One is a superstar, one has the potential to be a superstar...
:D

Nope, I'm completely with ya.

Just enjoying the ride....

8-)

...although Luongo as a "Superstar" I may have qualms with.

Cory as a "potential Superstar" I can live with....
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I don't think Dreger is that far off the mark. People really should stop hoping to land another teams top young player for Luongo like a Connolly or a Huberdeau. The realistic returns for Luongo are a 33 year old Malone and a Komasarik. Burke may offer Gardiner or Schenn but we sure as hell ain't getting those young studs from the Florida. The only thing we can hope for from a team taking Luongos contract off our hands is putting us in the Shea Weber/Suter sweepstakes so if that's the case, maybe something like Detroits first pick that Tampa owns is more of a realistic trade if you don't want to just swap contract for contract. It would similar to what we gave San Jose to get erhoff and lukowich off of their books
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The Canucks will likely have to take salary back if they deal Luongo but taking salary back (like the leaves did when they took Joffrey Lupul to get Jake Gardiner for Francois Beauchemin) is different from taking a salary dump (like the Canucks did taking Steve Reinprecht along with David Booth, or the Sabres taking Ales Kotalik with Robyn Regehr) which is still different from taking a goddamned albatross like the Mike Komisarek contract.

Dreger can say whatever he likes but the fact is that few teams in the league have a contract anywhere near as bad as Komisarek's so all the Canucks have to do to avoid that kind of problems is not deal with the leaves (if in fact Dreger has a correct read on their position and is relaying it accurately - not too likely that both of those things are happening).

I don't think Luongo is going to get is Erik Gudbranson in a one-for-one trade but he should certainly be able to get us something more than Ryan Malone or something along those lines. If we're taking a boat anchor contract I expect to get a competent NHLer as well as a very good future asset if not a recent top five pick like Gudbranson or Huberdeau.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Elliott Freidman thinks Tampa is interested in Schneider, not Luongo. He pretty much says the same thing as Dreger regarding Luongos value. A big contract in return or a secondary prospect of pick. We ain't getting the leaves 5th overall pick for Luongo
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

donlever wrote:
Cory as a "potential Superstar" I can live with....
I can live with him also Donny! I just think two things....

1. Will we get a good enough return for Luongo to justify trading him.
2. Will Schneider be able to handle the load as the number 1 today. Our window is closing by the day.

We can't afford any bumps in the road. Schneider has not PROVEN!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:
I don't think Luongo is going to get is Erik Gudbranson in a one-for-one trade but he should certainly be able to get us something more than Ryan Malone or something along those lines. If we're taking a boat anchor contract I expect to get a competent NHLer as well as a very good future asset if not a recent top five pick like Gudbranson or Huberdeau.
Thats the only way we get a top prospect back in a Luongo deal, a package deal like we throw in a quality extra like our 1st round pick along with Lou for Malone and Connolly, I also understand that Tampa is desperate for
Defenseman so maybe a Connauton or Tanev might be what gets us a good young forward back