Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Jovocop »

mnaslund wrote:
Tciso wrote:
FAN wrote: The current CBA is set to expire but it hasn't expired yet so it's business as usual as far as trades and contract negotiations go and there's absolutely no reason why the league won't approve a reasonable hockey trade. We've seen teams signing players to long-term contracts before the new CBA so it's not like GMs are scared of taking on long-term contracts before the new CBA.
+1

What ever changes occur in the new CBA will affect all contracts, including Lou's and the other 20 or so long term deals across the league. If teams are willing to sign players to new 8 or 10 or 13 year deals this summer, there is no difference in trading for a similar deal. Business as usual.
So what are you saying?? GM's across the NHL are in line at Mike Gillis' office trying to make a trade for Bobby Luo??? if that was the case I think a deal would have been done a month ago. Perhaps Gillis just needs to sweeten the pot a little bit.....Hmmm maybe we can through in those two guy that wear the green suits and have no testicles in, Im sure thats all thats missing from this puzzle.besides thier testicles of course
Hmm... let me see, there are teams lining up for Shane Doan but he still has put his signature on any contracts yet... There might be teams making offers for Luongo but MG is still waiting for the best deal..??? Just because Luongo is still a Canuck does not mean he is useless. Perhaps you should ask Sather, he just traded for a guy who asked for a trade since the last trading deadline.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

wafflecombine wrote:Lol... looks like we found some additional support for RD here in the forums!
It might just be RD himself... :lol:
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

mnaslund wrote:Some of you guys are worse then leaf fans I swear............... Luongo, is essentially useless to our team and I think its Mike Gillis' fault for letting the situation get this out of hand .

Hold it... WHAT?? WHAT did you say???
head up ass.jpg
head up ass.jpg (23.01 KiB) Viewed 4070 times
cc oldtimer
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

nuckster wrote:
mnaslund wrote:Some of you guys are worse then leaf fans I swear............... Luongo, is essentially useless to our team and I think its Mike Gillis' fault for letting the situation get this out of hand .

Hold it... WHAT?? WHAT did you say???
head up ass.jpg
I'm sorry, we choked.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

dbr wrote: Well, the cap circumvention aspect of Luongo's deal looks more attractive in an environment where you can't simply create more cap space by waiting a year.
Hmm... I think I get what you're saying here. In my mind, the cap continuing to rise = Luongo's cap hit being a smaller percentage of the cap = Luongo's deal more attractive. You're saying the cap not continuing to rise but teams still handing out richer and richer contracts = Luongo's deal more attractive because of cap certainty?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Well I suppose the certainty of a long term deal is nice too.

But what I'm really getting at is that the cap circumvention aspect of Luongo's deal is more attractive, because that extra $1.4m (ie. the difference between his salary and his cap hit for the next six seasons) is harder to come by without inflation pushing the cap ceiling up further and further every season.

If a team can't simply wait for the NHLPA to use it's inflator to bump the cap ceiling by 5%, or if revenues don't continue to grow, then the cap may remain more or less the same from one year to the next - something we've only really seen once or twice under this CBA.

Under those circumstances being able to circumvent the cap is even more important than it has been over the last few years (where bad contract cease to be bad simply by virtue of the cap ceiling increasing), assuming of course that Luongo is playing to the level of his salary.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

dbr wrote: Under those circumstances being able to circumvent the cap is even more important than it has been over the last few years (where bad contract cease to be bad simply by virtue of the cap ceiling increasing), assuming of course that Luongo is playing to the level of his salary.
I see what you mean, but the key is Luongo playing to the level of his salary, and especially if the cap doesn't continue to go up, there's no indication that Luongo will play to the level of his salary.

Luongo essentially makes a little more than $6.7M+ a year. There are only two goaltenders that make more and there are only two goaltenders with a cap hit of more than $6.7M. So in a essence, if Luongo isn't a top 3 goalie in the league, the argument is that he's overpaid. Another way that is popularly used to determine worth is to speculate on what Luongo can sign for if he was a UFA this past season. Will he get $6.7M over 6 years from some team? I doubt it. Over $5M a year? I think so. So ya, what I'm trying to get at is that at his current cap hit, Luongo is worth it. At his current salary, he's not.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Meh... someday Canuck fans will look back on the passing of Lou with the same fondness some American's have for Bubba Clinton.

Do ya miss me yet?

And for the record, there were a lot of other goalies with higher cap hits than Lou that didn't win the cup last year.

We'll see how Cory fares in 2012/13 if there is a season while Lou does impressions of his team mates, plays online poker via his smart phone and jokes with the media while backing Cory up :)

I'd love to see a Lou impression of Hanson ;)
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

FAN wrote:I think so. So ya, what I'm trying to get at is that at his current cap hit, Luongo is worth it. At his current salary, he's not.
In the Cap era, salary is far less important than Cap space. So, from that perspctive, Lou is a steal. He's currently 9th, and falls to at least 10th next season in Cap hit. Imo, he's still a top 5 goalie. Goalie stats do not tell the whole story, as the team, and style in front of him make a guge difference.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tciso wrote:
4) we have a strong defense, and 2 rising stars in Edler and Tanev.
Tanev is a rising star ???

He will do well to one day become a 4/5 D-man. His shot couldn't break a pane of glass, he is as thin as a supermodel and as physical as Cliff Ronning. His biggest asset at this point is his brain and being able to play the right side effectively. If he was only able to play the left, he's not likely on the team.

I like the kid and see him as a Grant Ledyard/ broke man's Dan Hamhuis if he pans out. like I said a 4/5 tweener who's steady and smart.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tciso wrote:
4) we have a strong defense, and 2 rising stars in Edler and Tanev.
Tanev is a rising star ???

He will do well to one day become a 4/5 D-man. His shot couldn't break a pane of glass, he is as thin as a supermodel and as physical as Cliff Ronning. His biggest asset at this point is his brain and being able to play the right side effectively. If he was only able to play the left, he's not likely on the team.

I like the kid and see him as a Grant Ledyard/ broke man's Dan Hamhuis if he pans out. like I said a 4/5 tweener who's steady and smart.
I don't get you Blobby, you are totally pessimistic when it comes to the unknown potential of Tanev who has only played around 54 NHL games to date but you liken Booth to another Bill Guerin or something, not to mention your love affair for Keith Ballard. I think thats why you hate Tanev, cause he has already proven in his short time in the bigs that he is already a better D-man than your Boi Ballard.

Just opened up a cold can of Okanagan Spring 1516 Blobby Bear.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Pacific Blue... I like Tanev but he sure as fuck aint no rising star. Pietrangelo, Doughty, Karlsson, Schultz, Gardiner, Hamonic etc... they have a shitload more potential than Tanev.

Why bring Ballard and Booth into this ? I am a fan of neither and hope both are dealt. I just don't beat a dead horse all day about it.

Red racer India Pale ale...........off the wagon
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Pacific Blue... I like Tanev but he sure as fuck aint no rising star. Pietrangelo, Doughty, Karlsson, Schultz, Gardiner, Hamonic etc... they have a shitload more potential than Tanev.

Why bring Ballard and Booth into this ? I am a fan of neither and hope both are dealt. I just don't beat a dead horse all day about it.

I know the brewmaster behind Red Racer. Never had one. I'm a creature of habit, ya ever long for the days of Extra Old Stock Tall boys, Molson Malt or Black Label, Blobby?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Pacific Blue... I like Tanev but he sure as fuck aint no rising star. Pietrangelo, Doughty, Karlsson, Schultz, Gardiner, Hamonic etc... they have a shitload more potential than Tanev.

Hamonic? I know of him but I don't think I've ever seen him play. Is he that good to be placed with Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson? I wouldn't be slotting Schultz or Gardiner in with those 3 guys either.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:

I know the brewmaster behind Red Racer. Never had one. I'm a creature of habit, ya ever long for the days of Extra Old Stock Tall boys, Molson Malt or Black Label, Blobby?
Those are all awful bro. I could perhaps crave a Moosehead, or a Molson Golden or even a Schooner........but Old Stock and Black Label......yuck. let me guess you like Wildcat too .