Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Fred »

I'm thinking Luongo starts with the 'Nucks and wait to see Florida bomb with Markstrom or Clemmenson. There's no need to make a deal right now for Tallon
cheers
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I would never say never. I like most thought Cory was being pumped up too. And perhaps he was until something happened that made the Canucks want to keep him. That something was probably that his play simply surprised them.

Now that Luongo has gone on record that he would like to return to Florida keeping him long term does not make sense.

But I would not be shocked to see Cory get traded if that return is a home rum. I may be a little surprised but not shocked.

MG likes to work on the sly and loves it that a lot of false rumours get slipped into the mainstream.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

vic wrote:or Luongo is truly a pro and realizes he's still a Canuck and needs to continue moving forward like he's a Canuck, which means reporting to Vancouver and getting ready to start the season.

The media has spun this story so well
Topper wrote: Or maybe he in town for a round of charity golf.
You're probably both right.

Still would like to see a Florida trade to get us Versteeg+ or a three way deal to land us Evander Kane.
:thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Topper wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:After all MG would want to showcase him no?
Yes Roberto will get the offensive zones starts but be replaced by Cory for defensive zone faceoffs.
lol.

So, does Loe also get our top pairing for defensemen too?
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:I would never say never. I like most thought Cory was being pumped up too. And perhaps he was until something happened that made the Canucks want to keep him. That something was probably that his play simply surprised them.

Now that Luongo has gone on record that he would like to return to Florida keeping him long term does not make sense.

But I would not be shocked to see Cory get traded if that return is a home rum. I may be a little surprised but not shocked.

MG likes to work on the sly and loves it that a lot of false rumours get slipped into the mainstream.
Yeah CS won't get traded unless as you say it's a homerun grandslam deal.

And if there is no CBA in place soon, looks like MG will be hanging onto Luongo for this upcoming season as well.

Which would be A OK by me.

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's becoming clear that Tallon has no real desperate desire to do a deal for Luongo and will only do it if it's a steal for the Panthers. Tallon didn't go seeking Luongo, Luongo is seeking Florida and Tallon is just merely being accommodating and seeing if he can get him for a bag of pucks. The Panthers are not desperate for goaltending and Tallon has zero interest in giving up his top tier prospects.

It all seems to be pointing back to Toronto and as the season nears once the CBA, if the CBA is done, Burke will start feeling the pressure to get a goalie cause that is the worst goalie situation in Toronto their in the entire NHL and the pressure is on Burke to start winning. But here is the problem, the leaves have nothing but shit to offer. Burke apparently has no interest in dealing Gardiner, the only player that makes me want to do a trade with the leaves. Names you keep hearing like Kadri won't mount to a hill of beans in the NHL. Kulemin is coming off an awful year and will frustrate you the way Raymond frustrates you. Colborne is a 3rd, 4th liner at best. Gunnarson is a left sided boring, nothing special stay at home defesneman that we do not need. Ashton is complete stone hands and very limited at the NHL level, the list goes on. If Burke ain't putting a Gardiner, a 1st round pick or even a Morgan Reilly in the package, the deal is shit for Vancouver.

After Toronto, I see Chicago as the next biggest competitor for the services of Luongo. But would Luongo waive for Chicago? Not so sure, but I definitely like better of what Chicago could offer over what Toronto could offer.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Think about your assesment which is likely not too far off base and then have a laugh at the spin you'll get after the trade is made. Remember the BB statement when Bure was traded, "we wouldn't have made the deal if Dave Gangner was part of it " :D I suspect there's another classic coming down the pike.

The thing I might argue with is Colbourne, injured for most and certainly the end of last season so tough to judge. The guy BB would love to throw MG is Kessels. He'll be telling every one it was always part of his (BB) plan :D
cheers
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

The team that really NEEDS a guy like Cory Schneider is Edmonton....who also have a wealth of blue chip talent. Sorry, Dubnyk is a C+/B- starter at best. Does Tambellini really want to go down this path again, reliving the Cloutier days? I'd rather Gillis keep Lu and Cory than give a top 5 or 6 goalie away for nothing. Even w/ Luongo the Oilers would be guaranteed to make the playoffs every year and possibly compete for the Cup for the next 5 years. They need some prominent experience on that team somewhere.

I also, cannot believe for a second that Tampa is putting all their eggs in the Lindback basket. I think there's other teams who will be in the goalie market once the CBA is resolved.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Now that there really isn't anybody left who can be had for just a contract, there may be teams who are finally going to start looking the trade route - complicated, I know, by the upcoming lock-out and what the next CBA will look like.

Whenever the season starts, look for some of these bargain basement goalies to prove they weren't such a bargain (lookin at guys like Lindback, Theodore and Reimer) and if it's a lockout-shortened season teams won't be able to afford a lukewarm goalie and will get desperate. Gillis still holds most, if not all, the cards here.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This is one of those scenario's where ya feel for both sides, if you're Gillis you can understand why he won't let him go cheaply, but if you are on the other side and mildly interested in Luongo you don't want to give up much for him. Either way, there is gonna have to be some give on both sides. In the end, I ain't expecting to be blown away by what Luongo will get us in return. There will come a time where Gillis will be put into a forced situation to trade Lou, and it will be for tier 2 prospects and picks and players. I think the other GM's who are kicking the Lou tires will win in the end.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:This is one of those scenario's where ya feel for both sides, if you're Gillis you can understand why he won't let him go cheaply, but if you are on the other side and mildly interested in Luongo you don't want to give up much for him. Either way, there is gonna have to be some give on both sides. In the end, I ain't expecting to be blown away by what Luongo will get us in return. There will come a time where Gillis will be put into a forced situation to trade Lou, and it will be for tier 2 prospects and picks and players. I think the other GM's who are kicking the Lou tires will win in the end.

You're right Dude, that is how things normally go. I think back in July there was a sense of wanting to get this done but as the Sept 15th deadline approaches I think that changes the mentality of MG, and of his potential trade partners. Now that the old CBA is almost done and no deal on the horizon I think almost everyone will be content to let things play out and deal with it in the new environment. The risk for MG of course is that the cap is substantially lowered and now he has to cut cap. As it stands today he isn't in cap hell and he can carry both Luongo and Cory next season if he has to. But if the cap gets rolled back by 5,6 or 7 million then he has to dump Luongo and he will go for a song and a haircut. This plays into Toronto's hands very well.

Knowing this do you think MG pulls the trigger this week?
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

As we approach the deadline for the CBA to be negotiated and put in place I'm starting to think that Gillis may have weakened his hand by holding out and not pushing for a trade on the Louie front.

If there is a lockout and the season is lost, then come 2013-14 Gillis will be sitting on a 34 year old goaltender who hasn't played an NHL game in almost a year and a half by the time the season gets under way in October. While people like to point out that Lou's value may increase as his salary committment drops and the big money is paid out, I think that this is the year that Lou has to be moved in order to get a decent return. A 34 year old goaltender only has 3 dependable years left. After that it becomes a crap-shoot as far as goaltenders go. You could end up getting a Brodeur or Roloson (circa 2006), or you could end up with a Kirk Mclean or Grant Fuhr. Guys who were really good in their prime but aged quickly (yeah, I know, with Fuhr it was the nose habit too, but still....). Nobody really knows, but Luongo could have one or two good seasons left and may just be a bust by the time he hits 35-36.

With that in mind, I think GM's are going to sit tight just like Tallon down in Florida, and they aren't going to give up someone, who has the potential to perform very well for his team for the next decade plus, in exchange for a goaltender that has been somewhat up and down over the last couple of seasons and is likely now entering the last 5 years of his career.

Sidenote: I agree whole heartedly with everyone who wants to avoid a trade with Toronto. They have nothing to offer us.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

If the Cap does get rolled back isn't the reduction spread over the entire team percentage wise, ie every suffers equally. So where you are now is where you will be after the new Cap is insituted percenatge wise
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:If the Cap does get rolled back isn't the reduction spread over the entire team percentage wise, ie every suffers equally. So where you are now is where you will be after the new Cap is insituted percenatge wise
That is one possibility.

They will either do a straight roll back where all current deals are automatically reduced. Or they will leave all the deals as is, but leave the cap at 70 mill but reduce the players share down to 55 or 60 mill and make everyone pay huge into escrow.

The roll back would make Luongo more appealing as the team who gets him would be on the hook for less money. If they use the escrow method it wont matter at all.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
With that in mind, I think GM's are going to sit tight just like Tallon down in Florida, and they aren't going to give up someone, who has the potential to perform very well for his team for the next decade plus, in exchange for a goaltender that has been somewhat up and down over the last couple of seasons and is likely now entering the last 5 years of his career.

Sidenote: I agree whole heartedly with everyone who wants to avoid a trade with Toronto. They have nothing to offer us.
Agreed. The teams most interested in Luongo would be teams who feel that they are a goaltender away from being a serious contender for Lord Stanley, ie the Blackhawks, but again, Lou holds the cards. Tallon isn't sitting there thinking 'Geez, if we had Luongo we are serious cup contenders', they are far from that. Florida's goaltending situation isn't that bad, Markstrom is a top goaltending prospect in the age group of the good group of young players coming up in their system, Tallon is building something there. If I'm Tallon I ain't doing the deal, no reason to, other than Luongo wanting to play there. He only goes to Florida if Tallon gets him for some veteren scrub, a tier 2 prospect like Drew Shore and like a 2nd round pick. A Panther trade will not knock your socks off.