Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by FAN »

vic wrote: Totally disagree, Fan.
I think I might have missed your point and you subsequently missed mine. Are you suggesting that Luongo can't and won't be traded?

I was writing under the assumption that Luongo is willing to be traded. If so, I suggested that Gillis should focus on keeping the goalie that management thinks is the best goalie going forward (i.e. identify the goalie you want to go forward with first). Say Gillis determines that Schneider is the goalie he wants to be in the Canucks' net going forward. Gillis should then determine Schneider's signability. If Schneider isn't willing to sign long term do you want to trade away Luongo for Schneider? If Schneider can be signed to a long-term contract you then look to maximize the return for Luongo. But my main point is that you identify the goalie you want to keep the most first because gthe goaltending position is important. After that, try to maximize the return for the goalie you less want to keep regardless of the fact you might get a better return dealing the goalie you want to keep the most.

Obviously, if Luongo can't and won't be traded then ya you concentrate on maximizing the return for Schneider.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What a brilliant idea, Get Rick Nash and put him with fellow puck hogs David Booth and Ryan Kesler. I can visualize the great passing already. Not. Can you imagine being a linemate of both Nash and Kesler? It would be like passing a doob to someone and never getting it back. Ya just sit there watching the dude Bogart it to a minuscule roach.

Seriously, Rick Nash is becoming a Dany Heatley, a fading star with a massive contract. The passion in Nash's game is fading. But hey, if you want another Non-Passing-Puck Hog, have it er.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Regarding Luongo, is it such a bad idea retaining Lou over Schneids? Seriously, the guy is still a legit goalie and has a good 3 to 4 years left in him, maybe longer. The only reason I say that, is we may not get great offers for Lou and by trading Schneider, we just may hit a home-run in the return. The kind of trade that could seal our future. If we do trade Schneids, over the next few drafts we should be leaning our picking towards goalies and ride out Lou like the Devils are with Brodeur.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

MG has said all along he won't trade for aging veterans. Now his one caveat has been if they are under contract OK but I think the Nash contract is as bad as what people think Luongo's is. I can't see MG trading Cory in a package for Nash. And it would have to be Cory because no way do I see Luongo waiving to go there.

With Luongo announcing he would waive if asked the summer has become much more interesting.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:Regarding Luongo, is it such a bad idea retaining Lou over Schneids? Seriously, the guy is still a legit goalie and has a good 3 to 4 years left in him, maybe longer. The only reason I say that, is we may not get great offers for Lou and by trading Schneider, we just may hit a home-run in the return. The kind of trade that could seal our future. If we do trade Schneids, over the next few drafts we should be leaning our picking towards goalies and ride out Lou like the Devils are with Brodeur.
RD I agree. I think MG will do whatever is the best moving forward. If trading Cory gives him a home run then ya I think he does it. But I also think Luongo has a higher trade value than some people think. Bottom line is that, unless ownership gets involved and shows a distinct preference either way, MG will weigh all options.

With Luongo coming out on the trade issue the way he did, he removed a shot gun from MG's head.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Regarding Luongo, is it such a bad idea retaining Lou over Schneids? Seriously, the guy is still a legit goalie and has a good 3 to 4 years left in him, maybe longer. The only reason I say that, is we may not get great offers for Lou and by trading Schneider, we just may hit a home-run in the return. The kind of trade that could seal our future. If we do trade Schneids, over the next few drafts we should be leaning our picking towards goalies and ride out Lou like the Devils are with Brodeur.
Except that Luongo isn't nearly the tender Marty was..... not even close really.

Roberto is an Eddie Belfour or Cujo

Please stay out of the Cobalt before posting.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

RoyalDude wrote:What a brilliant idea, Get Rick Nash and put him with fellow puck hogs David Booth and Ryan Kesler. I can visualize the great passing already. Not. Can you imagine being a linemate of both Nash and Kesler? It would be like passing a doob to someone and never getting it back. Ya just sit there watching the dude Bogart it to a minuscule roach.
ROFLMFAO!!!

Now that's the bikerdude I remember! :thumbs:

Best post in years bikerdude!

Could it be man? Does the dude once again abide.....

BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

So Duthie tweets that Luongo will give Luggage Eyes a short list of teams he will accept a deal to and the Leaves are one of those teams. Not sure if TO is a good landing spot for Roberto.... weak team, HUGE media spotlight, but maybe he wants to stick it up Vancouver's ass once a week on HNIC

Interesting. ..... Hopefully Burke and Nonis jump out of their shoes to bring him to Hogtown. Obviously DN is ecstatic about this. He has been a huge Luongo backer for the last decade.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:So Duthie tweets that Luongo will give Luggage Eyes a short list of teams he will accept a deal to and the Leaves are one of those teams. Not sure if TO is a good landing spot for Roberto.... weak team, HUGE media spotlight, but maybe he wants to stick it up Vancouver's ass once a week on HNIC

Interesting. ..... Hopefully Burke and Nonis jump out of their shoes to bring him to Hogtown. Obviously DN is ecstatic about this. He has been a huge Luongo backer for the last decade.
you really think Luongo has already given GMMG his list? Within 24 hours of being asked if he'd waive?

Really?

I seriously doubt he would waive to go to a team that is a good 3-5 years away from being any sort of a conteder. And I seriously doubt he's already made that decision.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

vic wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:So Duthie tweets that Luongo will give Luggage Eyes a short list of teams he will accept a deal to and the Leaves are one of those teams. Not sure if TO is a good landing spot for Roberto.... weak team, HUGE media spotlight, but maybe he wants to stick it up Vancouver's ass once a week on HNIC

you really think Luongo has already given GMMG his list? Within 24 hours of being asked if he'd waive?

Really?

I seriously doubt he would waive to go to a team that is a good 3-5 years away from being any sort of a conteder. And I seriously doubt he's already made that decision.
I said Duthie tweeted it not Blobby.
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

I dont get what the whole hub bub is with fans of perspective fans rec'ing Luo.

"OMG, NONO CONTRACT A BAZILLION YEARS!"

"HE'S WASHED UP!"

Reality is Luo has remained consistent in his career and has a decent cap hit. I think EPC mentioned earlier Aqualini might be pissed if Luo left with the bulk of his contract already paid. In reality, he has about 6-7 years left then he is down to 1-2 million for the last few years. Whine about the contract all you want but the fact is Luo is a classy guy and I'd want him on my team.

Problem is do we want Cory more? Or what is the RFA contract status going to be in the trade market?

Either way, Luo is still a great goalie and I believe he still has a few years left in him (not 10 of course! :mrgreen: )
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

vic wrote: you really think Luongo has already given GMMG his list? Within 24 hours of being asked if he'd waive?

Really?
HW mentioned the possibility that if a deal came up for Luo at the deadline he may have been gone then.

There is a possibility that Gillis has had a list for some time.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Dan Murphy (Sportsnet) wrote:Toronto is indeed on Roberto Luongo's list of teams he'll submit to #canucks GM Mike Gillis and it should come as no surprise Tampa Bay is [too]
http://twitter.com/#!/sportsnetmurph/st ... 4193758208
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya rumour has it the list will have 4 teams on it with Toronto and Tampa being two of them.
Luongo wants to be in the East so we can assume the other two teams will also be in the East.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Well, eliminating teams where Lou wouldn't go or have no need for goaltending...

NYR
BOS
FLA
PIT
PHI
NJD
WSH
OTT
BUF
TBL
WPG
CAR
TOR
NYI
MTL

So, pick two more of the above I guess...