Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by ESQ »

Farhan Lalji wrote: Besides - going 'full Farhan' would involve pitching Luongo for Phaneuf or Luongo and Raymond for Lecavlier. :shock:
Hahaha, nice one! :lol: :lol:

The more I look at the market this off-season, and think about that $70 million cap, the more I like going for Nash. I don't know if he'd ever be the 100-point power forward many expected, but he definitely has game-changer ability. He is also a guy I can see gelling very well with the Sedins - good foot-speed, good shot, can take slick passes and drive to the net. If that happens, you could see a career year out of Nash.

The cap hit does concern me, but I'm now convinced that there won't be a player of his calibre hitting the free agent market any time soon, and if they did they would command a far higher cap hit.

Plus, I really believe that the Canucks actually have the pieces to acquire Nash, though it would be built around Cory not Luongo.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

ESQ wrote: Plus, I really believe that the Canucks actually have the pieces to acquire Nash, though it would be built around Cory not Luongo.

...side benefit to Cory to Columbus.

While our Cup window is open Schneider is unlikely to have an opportunity to hurt us in that endeavour.

Unless Howson were to flip him of course.

Like to Chicago....
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:Are you calling Hotby, Elliott and Smith elite goalies? They are in that category of great flash in the pan playoff goaltending, well Elliott and Smith are beneficiaries of a teams system put in place by their coaches. Whotby? Bryzgalov just came out of
a series that was a shooting gallery, goaltending was awful. Rinnie and lunqvist and Brodeur are elite. Not quite ready to put Quick in that category. Personally I see a Philly vs Nashville final, offense vs defense. The leagues best goalie in Rinnie vs the leagues biggest schizo hot and cold goaltender in Bryzgalov
I don't think you're picking up what I was putting down. Put more simply here are the matchups from the first round:

Los Angeles beat Vancouver = LA is clearly the superior defensive team and Jon Quick - this season at least - put up a superior performance to either Canucks goaltender.
St. Louis beat San Jose = The Blues are the best defensive team in the league and both of their goaltenders are better than Niemi.
Phoenix beat Chicago = The Yotes have a far superior commitment to defense and Mike Smith while not a star in my books is clearly better than Corey Crawford.
Nashville beat Detroit = I like Jimmy Howard but clearly Rinne is a better, more highly acclaimed netminder.
New York beat Ottawa = with a better goaltender and superior team defense.
Washington beat Boston = this is the one exception I mentioned, obviously Thomas is supposed to be a better goaltender than Holtby and the B's are supposed to be a better defensive team than the Caps.
New Jersey beat Florida = Martin Brodeur vs. Jose Theodore, say no more.
Philly beat Pittsburgh = neither team is a shutdown squad but both featured marquee goaltenders and the team with the more expensive keeper happened to win.

I'd say there are two exceptions, one being Washington and the other being Philadelphia.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote:
If you're seriously considering Rick Nash to Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford, Dave Booth, and a bunch of other "jabronie's", then I can't help you here Corky.
Booth, Ballard, Bernier, Sturm all recommeneded by the Pro scouts, nice work boys
Booth- 23 goal pace in his fist season with his new team . Give him more than 60 games before you bury him maybe ???
Ballard- bust - can't play the right side...... I think he could be a better player with a different coaching staff but it's on him to be better. Little opportunity here as AV clearly doesn't like this player ..... ship him out if you can for a 7th rounder. He is a shell of the kid I liked in Phoenix.
Bernier- What exactly do you think you can get for a late 2nd and 3rd round pick Fred ??? he was a decent third liner and averaged 15 goals.
Sturm was a bum but all he cost was money and MG sent him packing when it was clear to all of us that the guy was done.

If you are going to piss and moan about the bad signings and deals maybe throw MG the odd bone for guys like Hamhuis, Samuelsson, Tanev, Glass and Rome.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him :D

If you're going to include Glass as a positive :D A 50% success is not some thing to brag about. Booth is an upgrade on Kassian i have to say but mariginal.(joke) Booth is not a multi diamensional player, most decent D can read him after the first 2 minutes of the game
cheers
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him :D

If you're going to include Glass as a positive :D A 50% success is not some thing to brag about. Booth is an upgrade on Kassian i have to say but mariginal.(joke) Booth is not a multi diamensional player, most decent D can read him after the first 2 minutes of the game
Booth is barely a one dimensional player. I watched that awesome bit of hockeyness last night called Florida vs New Jersey and I kept thinking how Booth would so not have suited well in that game. He just can't think the game at a high/fast level/pace ie think on his feet, chew gum and walk at the same time. Was really impressed with the intelligent play of Weiss
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

RoyalDude wrote: Booth is barely a one dimensional player. He just can't think the game at a high/fast level/pace ie think on his feet, chew gum and walk at the same time.
Get it on, bang a gong, get it on
RoyalDude wrote: Was really impressed with the intelligent play of Weiss

Ah, something new.

Yes Weiss is a heady player eh?

Plays the entire sheet nicely.

To bad he's so diminutive.
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote: All this speculation depends on a couple things:

1) is Luongo demanding to be traded
2) is Luongo willing to be traded
Yeah, all I'm seeing so far is alotta scribes prefacing stories with "According to Nick Kypreos..."

So what did Nicky actually say?

Kypreos said Luongo "essentially asked for a trade". No doubt Kypreos is just taking Roberto’s “Yes” in answer to the question “Would you waive your NTC if Canucks asked” to mean “I would like to be traded”. Sounds like Nick Dumfuck Kypreos amirite?

And then it seems like another scribe must've asked someone in the Luongo camp: "If a list was ever provided would Toronto be on it??". Answer "Ummm suuure..."

And BOOM the fucktard media is off to the races!

Personally I think Lou's feelings were hurt by the decision to go with Schneids for the last 3 playoff games. I think he feels unwanted but is trying to remain classy about this. He KNOWS the time has come for one of he or Schneids to leave town (everyone knows this) and he feel the Canucks have already made their decision based on those 3 games. He's trying to graciously step out of Schneid's way.

If I'm GM of the Canucks I fire the entire coaching staff, reassure Lou that he's The Man, and deal Schneids.

But that's just me.

BTW guys I'm loving some of the Schneids for Nash suggestions floating around here. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RD I agree that Booth is dumb as shit, not as dumb as Kypreos shit but shit in general.
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote:RD I agree that Booth is dumb as shit, not as dumb as Kypreos shit but shit in general.
Well look at the guy, he reminds me of Jeff Spicoli...whoa, dude....

To assist the uninitiated with a visual...

DeLevering since 1999.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Strangelove wrote:
If I'm GM of the Canucks I fire the entire coaching staff, reassure Lou that he's The Man, and deal Schneids.

But that's just me.
I totally agree!

Of course this is without knowing how much of this family stuff is true. I'd talk to Lou and suggest the coaching staff and Schneider are gone if he wants to stay. If Luongo says he "needs" to be closer to Florida, I explain in order for us to do this FOR YOU, we need you to expand the number of teams you'd go to. We'll deal you as a favor. We'll do it for you and your family but in return you have to do your best to help us get the best return possible.

Remember Luongo is under contract and MG doesn’t have to trade him for family or any other reason.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^ We are of one mind in all this Ohdes. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Something to be thinking of is this. If Luongo is unhappy now and contemplating being traded, MG might be able to pacify him and might decide to trade Cory, but in 2-3 (forget which) years Luongo can demand a trade contractually. So MG may put out fires now but this lifetime number one has a shot gun clause he can use in a few short years from now. So if Luongo is contemplating getting out MG really really needs to know why:

1) Is it family related? If so not much MG can do but try to accommodate Luongo.

2) Is it fan treatment? Well thats a hard one to manage. Can't really control whether fans will boo or Lou

3) Is it media treatment? Well that can be managed to some extent but its part of playing pro sports and Luongo just has to suck it up.

4) Is it the way the playoff starters were handled by the team? If that is the bigger issue then MG has to have some heart to hearts with Luongo and deal Cory.

MG has fed Luongo's ego from the day MG arrived. Making him captain was all about getting him to sign this long term deal in the first place. Getting him his goalie coach even though his goalie coach would not commit to being a full time goalie coach and even lived in a different city, time zone, country. Luongo is the type of player that has an ego, no problem, but he has to be managed. His feelings get bruised and he has to be stroked and loved and nurtured. OK. So if MG wants to keep him he has to know all of this. Which brings me back to my main point? Will this situation rear its ugly head in 2-3 years when we are then contractually forced to trade him and by which time we have already dealt Cory and will surely get nothing in return for Luongo at that point?
The only HW the Canucks need
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote:^^^ We are of one mind in all this Ohdes. :D
Cue the Bunny...
DeLevering since 1999.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

In theory, I would be happy with either Luo or Cory. But, given the recent history with Luo, as well as his personal, family situation, I would think they will try to move Luo. The most obvious destination for him would be Tampa. However, they would need to change their style of play, and not be so concerned about limiting shots (Woodley had some intelligent comments about all that on 1040 this morning). I don't imagine that would be a problem, if they are getting an elite goalie!

I can't imagine either Connoly or Hedman would be available. So maybe the deal would entail these possibilities:
1. A good roster player (like Purcell?), plus Detroit's 1st rounder 8-)
2. A young prospect (Carter Ashton, Richard Panik,Gudas?) plus a couple of draft picks (Detroit's 1st and a 3rd?) :roll:
3. A good roster player with a young prospect
4. A 1st rounder and 2nd (I can't see MG going for this option)

Tampa does have some promising young prospects...but if we are looking at adding scoring potential, then Ashton and Panik are the contenders. But they also have a couple of intriguing D prospects - guys like Gudas and Barberio.

I honestly can't see Luo going for a trade to Columbus!