Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fred wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:And Couturier isn't going anywhere.
Agree. A pretty big under-statement in fact. Couturier proved as an 18 year old in his rookie year of the NHL why for the longest time he was ranked no. 1 of his draft class leading up to the draft. A real big steal by the Flyers at the draft.
When u look at the Flyers you have to say they're a pretty active team, good drafting and trades with the excepition of goal tending. They're not afraid of changing things up

Sure I agree, but Couturier ain't the one getting traded out of Philly. It will be names like Read and Voracek. I mean, Philly is a bit too deep down the middle with Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, Briere and I think Read is a natural centre. I just don't see Philly seperating the Schenn brothers, so maybe Couturier could be available but to make that happen you'd have to be offering up something significant other than just Luongo. 19 year old, 6'3, 200 lb centres who can play important minutes in big games who are excellent at both ends of the rink don't grow on trees. Couturier is gonna be an excellent hockey player in the NHL for years to come.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Bored on a Sunday night!

Toronto gets Bryzgalov, Ray

Philly gets Luongo, Ballard

Vancouver gets Briere, Reimer, Franson

Sign Arnott (1 yr) ;

SEDINS BURROWS
BOOTH BRIERE KESLER
HIGGINS ARNOTT HANSEN
MANNY LAPPY KASS

EDLER GARRISON
HAMHUIS BIEKSA
FRANSON TANEV

SCHNEIDER
REIMER
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:It's in Gillis best interest to keep Lou happy and open to as many teams as possible, the unhappier Lou gets the more demands he starts putting on Gillis.
So the more Luongo wants to be traded, the harder he's going to make it for his team to move him?
RoyalDude wrote:Sure I agree, but Couturier ain't the one getting traded out of Philly. It will be names like Read and Voracek. I mean, Philly is a bit too deep down the middle with Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, Briere and I think Read is a natural centre. I just don't see Philly seperating the Schenn brothers, so maybe Couturier could be available but to make that happen you'd have to be offering up something significant other than just Luongo. 19 year old, 6'3, 200 lb centres who can play important minutes in big games who are excellent at both ends of the rink don't grow on trees. Couturier is gonna be an excellent hockey player in the NHL for years to come.
I'd be pretty pleased if the Canucks could get Jakub Voracek for Luongo; having Sedin/Booth/Higgins down the left wing and Burrows/Voracek/Hansen/Kassian down the right wing would give us one of the deeper forward groups in the league.

If there was a team that traded a player on the first year of a retirement contract it'd be the Flyers but I doubt Philly wants to take a bath on the Bryz deal (and on moving it) and then pay the asking price for Luongo.

That being said, going out and acquiring a former player and (arguably) a questionable starting goaltender all in one move is so Brian Burke it's not even funny.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I heard Dave Pratt say that he thinks Lou will go to Toronto. Burkie needs a goalie bad, he's feeling the pressure to get the leaves into the playoff or he'll get canned and he's known to overpay for what he think he wants/needs. Also, Lou obviously won't get moved till the CBA is hammered out, teams need to know what the new salary structure is going to be like to take on a contrat like Lou's. Take it for what it's worth. :)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

With Erik Gudbranson suffering a major shoulder injury and out 3-4 month take him, or any other D'man off the trade list coming from Florida. They will need all the D they can get. Of course most already knew there was no way he would be part of a deal but I think with the injury you can now rule him out for real.

Burke today said he has all the faith in Reimer and that no deals will get done until after the new CBA as there is too much cap uncertainty. Tell us something we don't know.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

As much as I hate Pratt, I agree that Toronto makes the most sense in a Luongo trade, it's just that I don't like anything that Toronto has to offer other than the likes of Gardiner, Reilly or their 1st in which we clearly ain't getting. Nothing much outside of that in the leaves organization makes us better.

We were never getting Gudbranson, injured or not.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:

I think I said that? :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

I think I said that? :D
Too bad we didn't have the depth on D to deal from to capitalize on the Gudbranson injury. I'd say we could toss in Ballard along with Luongo to help soften Tallon's no go stance on Bjugstad, but uh, Tallon me thinks does not want to get reunited with Ballard. I don't want to trade Edler or Tanev. So, our D is pretty much to thin to deal from.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

LOL I thought Bjugstad was the next Adam Creighton.

This trade won't happen till December at the earliest.

Season will start just after American Thanksgiving and be 60 games or thereabouts.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

RoyalDude wrote:As much as I hate Pratt, I agree that Toronto makes the most sense in a Luongo trade, it's just that I don't like anything that Toronto has to offer other than the likes of Gardiner, Reilly or their 1st in which we clearly ain't getting. Nothing much outside of that in the leaves organization makes us better.

I actually think the leaves have quite a bit to offer givin Burke has drafted guys that fits into Gillis' new MO of bigger is better. If Gillis wants immediate top 6 help, there's Lupul (not sure if Burke is willing to break up the Lupul and Kessel chemistry). After that, I agree that there's not much besides Gardiner or Reilly who can be considered top-end guys.

A package of young players and prospects and a bottom 6 player might not be such a bad deal. MacArther, Kulemin, or even Frattin plus two prospects such as Ashton (who is NHL ready), Kadri (maybe throw Raymond in as a swap), Colborne (maybe throw Schroeder in), Biggs, or Ross and a 1st or 2nd round pick depending on the quality of the prospects is not a bad deal. I would say swap Alberts for Franson in the deal, but Franson wants playing time and he's not going to get it here. I am obviously hoping for Gillis to restock the cupboard in any Luongo deal.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

FAN wrote: A package of young players and prospects and a bottom 6 player might not be such a bad deal. MacArther, Kulemin, or even Frattin plus two prospects such as Ashton (who is NHL ready), Kadri (maybe throw Raymond in as a swap), Colborne (maybe throw Schroeder in), Biggs, or Ross and a 1st or 2nd round pick depending on the quality of the prospects is not a bad deal. I would say swap Alberts for Franson in the deal, but Franson wants playing time and he's not going to get it here. I am obviously hoping for Gillis to restock the cupboard in any Luongo deal.
Every Leaf player you mention in that paragraph is fucking garbage and would not benefit this club moving forward at all. Lets be clear here, Kadri will never be a good NHL'er. Ashton may be a decent 3rd or 4th liner but his ceiling is very low, not the softest hands in the world and his hockey sense leaves a lot to be desired. MacCarther, Kulemin???? Fucking garbage. Wow, those two would really do this team a whole lot of good. Biggs? See my Ashton description. Frattin???? WTF. I don't even like Lupul. If Burke has so many great options for us, why do they suck in the Standings?

Like I said, the only 3 things I like out of Toronto we ain't getting - Gardiner, Reilly and a 1st round pick. I guess what I am saying, is I don't like the second tier scrubs that Burke is trying to pan off on us for one of the leagues best goaltenders. I much prefer Florida's 2nd tier options over what Burke has in his Leaf portfolio.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Every Leaf player you mention in that paragraph is fucking garbage and would not benefit this club moving forward at all. Lets be clear here, Kadri will never be a good NHL'er. Ashton may be a decent 3rd or 4th liner but his ceiling is very low, not the softest hands in the world and his hockey sense leaves a lot to be desired. MacCarther, Kulemin???? Fucking garbage. Wow, those two would really do this team a whole lot of good. Biggs? See my Ashton description. Frattin???? WTF. I don't even like Lupul. If Burke has so many great options for us, why do they suck in the Standings?

Like I said, the only 3 things I like out of Toronto we ain't getting - Gardiner, Reilly and a 1st round pick. I guess what I am saying, is I don't like the second tier scrubs that Burke is trying to pan off on us for one of the leagues best goaltenders. I much prefer Florida's 2nd tier options over what Burke has in his Leaf portfolio.
Couldn't agree more actually (plus I really really REALLY don't wanna see Lou in a Leaf jersey).

But let's face it guys, Lou is gonna be a Panther again...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Every Leaf player you mention in that paragraph is fucking garbage and would not benefit this club moving forward at all. Lets be clear here, Kadri will never be a good NHL'er. Ashton may be a decent 3rd or 4th liner but his ceiling is very low, not the softest hands in the world and his hockey sense leaves a lot to be desired. MacCarther, Kulemin???? Fucking garbage. Wow, those two would really do this team a whole lot of good. Biggs? See my Ashton description. Frattin???? WTF. I don't even like Lupul. If Burke has so many great options for us, why do they suck in the Standings?

Couldn't agree more actually (plus I really really REALLY don't wanna see Lou in a Leaf jersey).

But let's face it guys, Lou is gonna be a Panther again...
I'm picturing Burke sticking to his rhetoric to start the season (whenever that is) and slowly soften his position as each loss mounts. Everyone and his mustachioed aunt knows that burke will not last the year without the leaves in the playoffs.
The reality is if he goes past the trade deadline with the team he starts the year with and doesn't make the playoffs, he's toast and he knows it.
let him twist until he gives, sooner or later he wont have a choice but to pay Gillis price...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Of course Burkie is going to say that, he has his poker face on... u don't really believe him do u? What's he going to say? "I'm going to throw Reimer to the wolves, I'm willing to put the weight of the season on a 3rd year goalie and let him carry the team." "A guy like Loungo would be nice here, I'm going to give Gillis a call to see what he wants." Fact is, Reimer is a great young goalie with loads of potential, but he's still really young and unproven. To put the weight of the season on him might be too much to ask. We've seen it before where young goalies get pushed in the limelight and it's too much for them, too fast. Some recover from it (ie - Carey Price, Mike Smith) and some don't (ie - Jim Carey, Steve Mason). If I was Burkie, I would be very leary with putthing all my chips on Reimer. Especially in a hockey market like Toronto, the centre of the universe. If ppl thought Vancouver was a goalie graveyard, I'm sure TO is like 3X worst. Why not bring in a proven guy and let Reimer slowly learn the ropes under one of the best in the league with no pressure on him? Look at what playing under Lou did for Corey Schneids? In an ideal situation, that would be the way to break in Reimer.

Reimer may be the next Martin Brodeur and become an elite goalie with only a couple of years out of juniors, but even Brodeur had a guy like Chris Terreri to play with for a couple seasons. However, I dunno. Finding a great young goalie that excels in the NHL that fast are pretty rare. Most will have some setbacks and hiccups. Lou may very well end up in Florida, but I think Burke and Nonis (Lou's old boss) will in the very least kick the tires with what Gillis wants in return. IMHO, I think Pratt and UkCanuck are right and Burke will be a major player in the Loungo sweepstakes that Gillis is trying to create. :P

Hockey Widow wrote:Burke today said he has all the faith in Reimer and that no deals will get done until after the new CBA as there is too much cap uncertainty. Tell us something we don't know.
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote: That being said, going out and acquiring a former player and (arguably) a questionable starting goaltender all in one move is so Brian Burke it's not even funny.
Image Total BB move!

Moar trade ideals,
LUONGO
RAYMOND
SCHROEDER

for either:

KULEMIN
COLBORNE < similar in size to Bjugstad just not as talented, but has the MG MO, younger/bigger and a center!
REIMER

or

VERSTEEG
GOC
DREW SHORE < since Florida doesn't want to give up their precious Huberdeau (that's fine),
but then they don't even want to give up Bjugstad!?!!

alright ok, well then at least give up the third tier center prospect! As they probably want to keep McFarland as well!

I'm kinda partial to the Florida deal, as Versteeg is more talented than the disappearing inconsistent Kulemin, and Goc would be a workhorse for our 3rd line center spot.

Not to mention getting Versteeg allows Booth to move to his more natural position on the LW where he is much more effective and Versteeg can finally bring a playmaking/vision/passing/scoring mentality to help the 2nd line as Booth+Kesler are pure bulldozers to the net type of players.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.