Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Pacific Blue... I like Tanev but he sure as fuck aint no rising star. Pietrangelo, Doughty, Karlsson, Schultz, Gardiner, Hamonic etc... they have a shitload more potential than Tanev.

Why bring Ballard and Booth into this ? I am a fan of neither and hope both are dealt. I just don't beat a dead horse all day about it.

Red racer India Pale ale...........off the wagon
Hamonic? I know of him but I don't think I've ever seen him play. Is he that good to be placed with Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson? I wouldn't be slotting Schultz or Gardiner in with those 3 guys either.
Hamonic will be a stud. He plays on a terrible team . Yes i overstepped placing Gardiner and Schultz with the other guys but they both have a shitload more skill and potential than Chris Tanev.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Raccoon
AHL Prospect

Post by Raccoon »

My biggest concern about Bjugstad was that he'd pull a Schultz . Thanks to the poster who detailed why that's not possible.

I'm a bit surprised we're not talking about Gudbranson. He's the guy Friedman confirmed was Gillis's target on trade deadline. We also know Gillis goes after the same targets for a long time - Weise, Gragnani are examples. This Bjgustad 'rumor' stemmed from a USA Today writer - I'm not sure how he can get info that Kuzma, Botchford and all the other Vancouver media writers couldn't. There have been virtually no leaks with this whole situation. The only lapses have come from Luongo himself. There was a time when GM's were getting peeved cause they didn't even know the asking price. The general public still doesn't know the asking price, yet we're supposed to believe this USA today writer knows names? I wouldn't be surprised that Gudbranson is the target.

Either way, Botchford recently tweeted that Floridas offer is garbage. And other new teams are in the mix. I trust Gillis here. He's not in a situation where he needs to trade Lu, so he can wait till the right offer.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Raccoon wrote:My biggest concern about Bjugstad was that he'd pull a Schultz . Thanks to the poster who detailed why that's not possible.
But there's nothing stopping Bjustad from playing two more years of college hockey and the become a UFA.
Raccoon wrote: I'm a bit surprised we're not talking about Gudbranson. He's the guy Friedman confirmed was Gillis's target on trade deadline. We also know Gillis goes after the same targets for a long time - Weise, Gragnani are examples. This Bjgustad 'rumor' stemmed from a USA Today writer - I'm not sure how he can get info that Kuzma, Botchford and all the other Vancouver media writers couldn't. There have been virtually no leaks with this whole situation. The only lapses have come from Luongo himself. There was a time when GM's were getting peeved cause they didn't even know the asking price. The general public still doesn't know the asking price, yet we're supposed to believe this USA today writer knows names? I wouldn't be surprised that Gudbranson is the target.
I think the idea is that Gudbranson is not a possibility.

As for the USA Today writer, the paper might suck, but the writer is Kevin Allen, and he's been a hockey writer for a very long time. He definitely has sources and is pretty credible. I've read his articles in the past and he seems pretty in touch with the Red Wings and Florida based teams so I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Allen had better sources in regards to the Panthers than Friedman, Kuzma, and Botchford. With that belief, Gillis has stayed pretty quiet as far as Luongo trade discussions go and Tallon is probably much more willing to talk so that's likely one reason we've been getting very little information from local writers.
Raccoon
AHL Prospect

Post by Raccoon »

FAN wrote:
Raccoon wrote:My biggest concern about Bjugstad was that he'd pull a Schultz . Thanks to the poster who detailed why that's not possible.
But there's nothing stopping Bjustad from playing two more years of college hockey and the become a UFA.

I thought that wasn't a possibility as per the previous poster?
Raccoon wrote: I'm a bit surprised we're not talking about Gudbranson. He's the guy Friedman confirmed was Gillis's target on trade deadline. We also know Gillis goes after the same targets for a long time - Weise, Gragnani are examples. This Bjgustad 'rumor' stemmed from a USA Today writer - I'm not sure how he can get info that Kuzma, Botchford and all the other Vancouver media writers couldn't. There have been virtually no leaks with this whole situation. The only lapses have come from Luongo himself. There was a time when GM's were getting peeved cause they didn't even know the asking price. The general public still doesn't know the asking price, yet we're supposed to believe this USA today writer knows names? I wouldn't be surprised that Gudbranson is the target.
I think the idea is that Gudbranson is not a possibility.

Why is Gudbranson not a possibility? He's under contract by the Panthers, therefore he's a possibility. Some people have listed him as 'untouchable'. But fans don't create those lists, GM's do.

As for the USA Today writer, the paper might suck, but the writer is Kevin Allen, and he's been a hockey writer for a very long time. He definitely has sources and is pretty credible. I've read his articles in the past and he seems pretty in touch with the Red Wings and Florida based teams so I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Allen had better sources in regards to the Panthers than Friedman, Kuzma, and Botchford. With that belief, Gillis has stayed pretty quiet as far as Luongo trade discussions go and Tallon is probably much more willing to talk so that's likely one reason we've been getting very little information from local writers.
I'm not sure why Tallon, or anyone in the Panthers org, would release info regarding their players. You start releasing names of your own players in potential trades - things are bound to get ugly (see Bobby Ryan). Tallon and Gillis have done business in the past, none of those trade details have been leaked beforehand. Allen could be right, or he could be making an educated guess. Wouldn't be the first time these 'hockey insiders' have done so.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

As long as the CBA talks continue I see no Luongo deal. Until the CBA gets done whats the rush?
The new CBA could change the cap or salaries or a variety of things. So unless a deal is close now I doubt it gets done until there is CBA certainty and teams can assess things like cap space and roster needs. Maybe there comes a buy out window and if there is one then teams out of the running may suddenly be in the running. I just think that as time passes it makes more sense for a deal to be done once the CBA is done.

If MG can lock up Burrows and Edler and land Doan it also changes the landscape for us with respect to needs moving forward.

Of course now that I have said all this a deal will get done within the next week. Like cigarettes and buses. :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tallon is not trading Gudbranson, especially to the team that just took Garrison from him. How many more defenseman is Tallon willing to lose? Ain't happenin'.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Tallon is not trading Gudbranson, especially to the team that just took Garrison from him. How many more defenseman is Tallon willing to lose? Ain't happenin'.
Cool story bro....

Didn't you hear Marian Gaborik bought a house here and plans on playing here ....... ?

Oh yeah ........ :stupid:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Tallon is not trading Gudbranson, especially to the team that just took Garrison from him. How many more defenseman is Tallon willing to lose? Ain't happenin'.
Cool story bro....

Didn't you hear Marian Gaborik bought a house here and plans on playing here ....... ?

How the hell is that a story Blobby WildCat Beers? That's no story that is just me thinking with common sense. Tallon loses Garrison to us, has he replaced Garrison yet? Maybe he has, not sure, can't remember whom the Panthers signed this off-season, but that being said, I think it's safe to assume that Garrison was big part of that back end in FLA. So I think it would be safe to assume that losing another important defenseman in Gudbranson is a pretty easy guesstimate for me or anybody with brains in thinking that 'WE AIN'T GETTING HIM FOR LUONGO' That would be two big loses on their back end, Blobby. I just don't see Tallon catering to Gillis needs especially after losing out on a bidding war to Gillis for Garrison.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Cool story bro....

How the hell is that a story Blobby WildCat Beers? That's no story that is just me thinking with common sense. Tallon loses Garrison to us, has he replaced Garrison yet? Maybe he has, not sure, can't remember whom the Panthers signed this off-season, but that being said, I think it's safe to assume that Garrison was big part of that back end in FLA. So I think it would be safe to assume that losing another important defenseman in Gudbranson is a pretty easy guesstimate for me or anybody with brains in thinking that 'WE AIN'T GETTING HIM FOR LUONGO' That would be two big loses on their back end, Blobby. I just don't see Tallon catering to Gillis needs especially after losing out on a bidding war to Gillis for Garrison.
Not too long ago, you just said that Tallon did not care to re-sign Garrison. All of a sudden, he was a big part of their back end? :?:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Eddie Lack was extended today.

2 year deal. First year is a 2-way contract worth $650K/85K (NHL/AHL) and the second year is a 1-way contract worth $850K.

Seems like they aren't taking any chances where Luongo is concerned, and ensuring that Lack is on a 2-way deal for the "upcoming" season, I think that could be a sign that the market for Bobby Lou is not as hot as Gillis is trying to sell it as.

We're gonna start our next campaign with almost $10M tied up in the crease. :roll:
Raccoon
AHL Prospect

Post by Raccoon »

It's a good point that Tallon lost a big piece on their back end this summer (Garrison), but the Canucks didn't take him away. He was a free agent - he could sign where he wanted. They signed Kuba in hopes of replacing him. But they also lost an important forward in Samuelsson. So any way you look at it, they lost key pieces throughout their roster this summer.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Jovocop wrote: Not too long ago, you just said that Tallon did not care to re-sign Garrison. All of a sudden, he was a big part of their back end? :?:
He's volatile retarded
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Raccoon wrote: I'm not sure why Tallon, or anyone in the Panthers org, would release info regarding their players. You start releasing names of your own players in potential trades - things are bound to get ugly (see Bobby Ryan). Tallon and Gillis have done business in the past, none of those trade details have been leaked beforehand. Allen could be right, or he could be making an educated guess. Wouldn't be the first time these 'hockey insiders' have done so.
The Bobby Ryan situation is completely different because it was the Ducks themselves that reportedly shopped Ryan around. For Tallon and the Panthers organization, they have very little to lose in releasing names of players they are reportedly unwilling to package in a deal for Luongo. If the players don't get traded then Tallon sends the message that they like them enough to not part with them, and if they do get traded well then it isn't their problem.

You make a good point about Tallon and Gillis having done business in the past and little to none of the trade details were leaked beforehand, but there are media guys that some GMs talk to and a quid pro quo scenario is likely unavoidable. I guess this situation is different than past dealings between the two GMs in the sense that it's no secret that Luongo is being shopped around and that the Panthers are interested. The way I see it, there's very little to lose in saying the Canucks have asked for Bjustad (good for him) and Tallon is not willing to part with him (good for him).
Raccoon
AHL Prospect

Post by Raccoon »

FAN wrote:
Raccoon wrote: I'm not sure why Tallon, or anyone in the Panthers org, would release info regarding their players. You start releasing names of your own players in potential trades - things are bound to get ugly (see Bobby Ryan). Tallon and Gillis have done business in the past, none of those trade details have been leaked beforehand. Allen could be right, or he could be making an educated guess. Wouldn't be the first time these 'hockey insiders' have done so.
The Bobby Ryan situation is completely different because it was the Ducks themselves that reportedly shopped Ryan around. For Tallon and the Panthers organization, they have very little to lose in releasing names of players they are reportedly unwilling to package in a deal for Luongo. If the players don't get traded then Tallon sends the message that they like them enough to not part with them, and if they do get traded well then it isn't their problem.

You make a good point about Tallon and Gillis having done business in the past and little to none of the trade details were leaked beforehand, but there are media guys that some GMs talk to and a quid pro quo scenario is likely unavoidable. I guess this situation is different than past dealings between the two GMs in the sense that it's no secret that Luongo is being shopped around and that the Panthers are interested. The way I see it, there's very little to lose in saying the Canucks have asked for Bjugstad (good for him) and Tallon is not willing to part with him (good for him).
The Ryan situation is the same. The basic premise is - Bobby Ryan was upset that his name kept coming up in trade rumors. Whether that was a result of the Ducks shopping him, or other teams inquiring about him - we don't know. Either way his name was out there and it put him on edge. Now Bjugstads name is out there. How will he feel about these rumors considering he's never even played a game for the Panthers. Gillis has said many times he likes to conduct trades under the radar because players are people and they have families that are affected by the rumors.

The Luongo situation is different, like you said, in the sense it's widely known that Luongos available (or potentially available). But it doesn't change the fact that there are so many reasons why Tallon wouldn't leak his own players name to the media. There's potentially a lot to lose. The 'potential' of alienating 'player X who's tied to rumors' is high. The potential of hurting your own negotiating power with other team is high. The potential of sending your fanbase into a frenzy is high. These are risks a negotiator (Tallon) would never intentionally put themselves in. My best guess is that they came from someone other than Tallon. And if that's the case, how credible are they? These hockey insiders don't have to cite their sources. And guys like Dreger have been so offbase with their Luongo coverage that I really don't believe any of them are getting any real info.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote:Eddie Lack was extended today.

2 year deal. First year is a 2-way contract worth $650K/85K (NHL/AHL) and the second year is a 1-way contract worth $850K.

Seems like they aren't taking any chances where Luongo is concerned, and ensuring that Lack is on a 2-way deal for the "upcoming" season, I think that could be a sign that the market for Bobby Lou is not as hot as Gillis is trying to sell it as.

We're gonna start our next campaign with almost $10M tied up in the crease. :roll:
Lack's deal has nothing to do with Luongo. It only means we tie up our AHL goalie prospect for 2 more years. 1-way vs 2-way deals only affect how much money a player makes. Lack's group obviously felt he was worth NHL money in year 2, and the Canucks are fine paying him that to play either here or in the AHL. I don't see how it immediately affects the Canucks and Luongo.