Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by ESQ »

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394097

And boom goes the dynamite.
Topper
CC Legend

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Topper »

No boom at all. Willing to stay and share with Cory or willing to move.

His openness takes pressure off moving any one and increases his trade value as no one has a gun to anyone's head.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

I'm excited to possibly have a younger, cheaper...dare I say it... better goalie moving forward but thats not stopping the lump in my throat right now.

I will never forget the evening whenI was just pulling up to a bar for a gig... and right before I got out of the car I heard on the radio that we had just traded for Luongo. I went completely mental and couldn't stop buzzing all night. I made people that had no interest in hockey or the Canucks what-so-ever listen to me go on and on about what this meant for our franchise. It is still one of my fondest memories as a Canuck fan.

I was convinced he'd win us a cup.
2011..... the one that got away.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...so we can spin this any way we like in a scenario where GMMG has often said he will not ask players to waive NTC's he has provided because, if he does, it minimizes trust in future negotiations.

The way I take this one is RL just provided MG with the right to explore the market for him.

Darrin Dreger, on 1040 this morning, when asked how Luongo is viewed throughout the league (outside of Vancouver) responded that he is well regarded and defined as an elite goaltender in other markets.

He also said that there would be a number of teams and management groups interested in Luongo and that his contract term should not be an issue but that cap hit would be regarded as a positive at 5.33.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Donny, exactly why I asked yesterday, how could Lou be valued less than a three year older Kiprusoff?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

To me, the most curious thing is the timing.

Its clear this isn't something that just popped into his head, he's been planning to say this right after the Canucks got eliminated for quite some time. This gives credence to HW's rumours about him wanting out since the beginning of the year at least.

The other curious bit is him saying he'd waive the NTC because "its for the good of the team". Nobody waives an NTC for the good of the team, not even Mats Sundin. It sounds to me like he's trying to go out on a high note to deflect attention from the rumour that his wife has left him and that he wants to go back to the East Coast.

I was in Ottawa going for breakfast when the trade was announced. I still believe this is the greatest trade the Canucks have ever pulled off. That said, the lustre on Luongo has come off a bit for me because he signed this mega-contract without making sure his personal life would fit it. He made a commitment to the city and the team that he wasn't in a position to make, and that kinda pisses me off.

At the end of the day though, the contract doesn't really hurt his trade value, especially with a wicked cap hit.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper's right. Luongo has significant trade value.

Look at all the teams out there with total shit goaltending: San Jose, Edmonton, Colorado, Columbus, Florida, Tampa Bay, Toronto, NYI and New Jersey has significant issues regarding whether or not to bring back Brodeur. That's 1/3 of the league right there that has big question marks in goal.

It seems to me that all the stars are aligning for a Luongo trade. I'm excited, because I think it is time to move on. I think Cory is better and ready to take the reigns. The writing appears to be on the wall.

I was waiting in line to get the oil changed in my car at a Pennzoil Express Lube place when I saw the Luongo trade headline. I was over the moon excited. I really hope I don't have to see a 'Schneider Traded' headline anytime soon... :|
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

He couldn't have handled that any better IMO.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Corb wrote:He couldn't have handled that any better IMO.

...and at (potentially) the end of his tenure he finally figures out how to handle himself publicly.

:cry:
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Right now, somewhere, Stevie Yzerman just got an out of control raging stiffy thats going to last a week or so.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

I have to disagree. I don't think this is something that Lou has been planning all season. I think his decision crept up on him as he saw the team play harder in front of Cory and quit in front of him. I think he saw the relentless "goalie controversy" talk in the media, I think he heard Canucks fans BOO him.

And I think he took it in stride and filed it away right up until management decided on Cory. Leaving, and on good terms, helps his career, his family (if HW is corrent) and helps Cory. I say the later becuase the controversy is gone. The team is exclusively Cory's. They retain their friendship and mutual respect and both get what they need.

Some call that a win-win.

I call it a gift from a classy guy.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

donlever wrote:...so we can spin this any way we like in a scenario where GMMG has often said he will not ask players to waive NTC's he has provided because, if he does, it minimizes trust in future negotiations.

The way I take this one is RL just provided MG with the right to explore the market for him.
Although an unspoken understanding that he may end up as the Canucks #2 next year may promp him to consider a move himself.

Another factor would be if Lack is ready to jump to the NHL, look for Lack to get some preseason starts next year
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The writings on the wall, I bet HW was right on MG working on negotiations with other teams looking for a #1 franchise goalie at the deadline, and with other GM's seeing what has transpired recently, trade talks should be heating up for a big trade this offseason or even at the draft.

With CS giving the green light by the coach during the playoffs that was the last straw for RL and has now said he will waive his NTC, himself giving the OK to MG for a probable trade which will be judged big time by the owners, if MG does well on this trade he will get a long term $ contract.

RL just needs a new start imesho.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

donlever wrote:
Corb wrote:He couldn't have handled that any better IMO.

...and at (potentially) the end of his tenure he finally figures out how to handle himself publicly.

:cry:
Finally humbled. Losing your job can have that effect.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

SKYO wrote:The writings on the wall, I bet HW was right on MG working on negotiations with other teams looking for a #1 franchise goalie at the deadline,
Some were surprised Yzerman didn't pick up a goalie at the trade deadline. AFIAC he knew one of ours was going to be available this summer and Gillis may have even tipped his hat that there was a real strong possibility it was going to be Lou.