Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by SKYO »

FAN wrote:
SKYO wrote: I see Luongo like Belfour.
I can't figure out what you mean by that.
Gets better with age.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

115 pages and I haven't weighed in yet. I was kind of just waiting for something to happen because I didn't want to speculate. To be quite honest I wasn't quite sure how I felt about Lou leaving. He has done ALOT for this franchise IMO. I think the "what have you done for me lately" rule applies to Luongo's situation in Vancouver .... permanently.

Less than 365 days after helping carry the team within one win from a Stanley Cup he was being sat in lieu of a younger, better goalie. I get it . It's a business. Pride shouldn't get in the way in professional sports and he handled like a pro. He sat, practiced and watched, said and did all of the right things and waited for the season to finish. I can't blame him for wanting out and I never will. He has to look out for his best interests too and his best interests do not involve sitting on the bench. He is still an excellent goaltender and deserves to be a no. 1. No doubt about it.

As for Schneider I can't blame Gillis and co. for signing him to stay in Vancouver. Kid is a stud, and he deserves every opportunity from the Canucks. He did his time (and then some) in the minors and never complained once. He played back up when he may have well been the better goaltender of the two. He kept his mouth shut, worked hard and earned his spot. I am honored to have this guy starting for us next year.

As for the trade scenario: I honestly don't care where Luongo goes as long as we get something good in return. I am proud of Gillis for not selling himself short just to get a deal done. Luongo is still a top 10 if not top 5 goaltender in the league and you don't just give one of those away for nothing.

I am comfortable to start the season (if there is a season?) with two no.1 goaltenders on the roster. 1)
These two already have a good working relationship and shouldn't cause a rift or problem. 2) They are both obviously familiar with the team and systems 3) They are both excellent goaltenders.

It wouldn't be such a bad problem to have temporarily. Give the rest of the league a couple of months to evaluate their goaltending needs (looking at you TO, TB, and FLA) and who knows? Maybe the asking price will be met?

This has probably all been discussed already but I am a lil' too lazy to read through the whole thread so meh ...

Happy Summer CC!!

p.s: Don't touch Doan. If the asking price is what they say it is ... :lol:

Dont do it GMMG!!!!
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mr.Miyagi wrote: It wouldn't be such a bad problem to have temporarily. Give the rest of the league a couple of months to evaluate their goaltending needs (looking at you TO, TB, and FLA) and who knows? Maybe the asking price will be met?
I agree. It's tough to have a goalie tandem signed for $9+ M... but in reality it's only a little more than a team like the Preds or Rangers will be spending on their goalies. And for the best tandem in hockey, it's not a bad deal.

The other thing to consider (besides the potential lockout) is the injuries that may befall other teams' goalies at the start of the season. That may open the door, as well as expand Luongo's list of teams.

I still somewhat hold out hope that we can move Schneider for a better return. The difference between him and Lou at the moment (and during our current window) will be minimal, and we can move CS wherever and he'll fetch a better return. However, it seems Luongo is set on returning to the SE and that will probably force us to move him eventually.

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote:
FAN wrote:
SKYO wrote: I see Luongo like Belfour.
I can't figure out what you mean by that.
Gets better with age.
Gets drunk, and claims he's a Billionaire.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

CaptainTrev wrote:
SKYO wrote:Imagine Florida says nay and Luongo goes on to win the Cup/ConnSmyth trophy? One of those rare goalie puts on a performance shows a year.
Imagine how WE would feel if that happens.

Unless of course you're suggesting that he's gonna do it in Canucks colours :mrgreen:
While I presume Luongo will be traded at some point in the next month, the idea that he comes back and actually has a great year, while unlikely, is not that far of a stretch. I recall the summer everyone presumed Bieksa was going to be traded, then Salo got hurt (what a shock!) and next thing you know KB has a great season, cup run, blah blah. I've said along, I do believe MG that, while not optimal, the option of having a CS-RL 1-2 goalie punch is not a bad default position. I don't see RL causing a problem, and you have great goaltending...it's unlikely, but in sports nothing is set in stone, circumstances can change quickly.

paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

the best goalie tandem in the NHL got you beat in round 1... You can't play them both at the same time... Seriously, why are we raising this banner to the rafters exactly??? I am not killing either guy, believe me when I say that, I don't think this team going forward is getting anywhere close to where they wanna go, coming back as is... I am not as down on Gillis as my good buddy Pacific Blue, having said that our GM's asset management is Horrible see the #9 trade...

Listen I'm not a Cody Hodgson is going to come back and be all Cam Neely and we will rue the day we moved him... But I will say this I wouldn't of moved him at the deadline... I have no problem trading him, in fact How different do you think the summer would've been for this club if say Hodgson was part of a Luongo deal... How many teams are a lil more interested on Luongo if Hodgson is included on the deal??? That goes back to my asset management comment, with all due respect to Kassian whom I love as a player... Truth be told He was never going to play in a big spot under this coach whose track record with young players is documented for everyone to see...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

paddy wrote:
Listen I'm not a Cody Hodgson is going to come back and be all Cam Neely and we will rue the day we moved him... But I will say this I wouldn't of moved him at the deadline... I have no problem trading him, in fact How different do you think the summer would've been for this club if say Hodgson was part of a Luongo deal... How many teams are a lil more interested on Luongo if Hodgson is included on the deal??? That goes back to my asset management comment, with all due respect to Kassian whom I love as a player... Truth be told He was never going to play in a big spot under this coach whose track record with young players is documented for everyone to see...
Bing fucking go, paddy cakes.

Ya know what I love about the selective memory around here when it comes to the CoHo trade PaddyC? At the time of the trade the fans, the media and Gillis himself, justified the trade by waxing on how they needed a player/presence like Kassian in the line-upfor the playoffs. Nobody, mentioned 'Long Term Investment' when it came to Kassian. He was an acquisition that was suppose to bring immediate results in the 'tough guy who can play' role. We fully anticipated, the media, fans and the Canuck brass eventually meeting the Bruins in the Finals, getting Kassian was our answer for Lucic. When the trade went down all you saw on the sports news were highlights of the Boston series, highlights of Lucic pounding on somebody, blah, blah, blah "we now have an answer for Lucic's of the world". Kassian was going to take care of the Lucic's in the playoffs for us, nobody mentioned the fact that he was going to be a project and not meant to help now, he was supposed to fill a role we sorely lacked for the 'upcoming' playoffs.

I like Kassian, but the jury is still out on the kid. You hit the nail on the head P-Cakes. It would have been wise of Gillis, but wisdom Gillis does not have, it would have been wise of him to keep Hodgson for the year and traded him in the off-season. A package of Luo and Hodgson would have garnered fantastic returns. However, it is clear as day that Gillis lacks this kind of intuition, a very important asset a GM must possess to succeed in the NHL. Again, Gillis has made more mistakes than wins when it comes to trades.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

paddy wrote:the best goalie tandem in the NHL got you beat in round 1... You can't play them both at the same time... Seriously, why are we raising this banner to the rafters exactly??? I am not killing either guy, believe me when I say that, I don't think this team going forward is getting anywhere close to where they wanna go, coming back as is... I am not as down on Gillis as my good buddy Pacific Blue, having said that our GM's asset management is Horrible see the #9 trade...

because a legitimate #1 on a very reasonable contract isn't value enough.

Coho had to go and should have been gone sooner.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

If the Canucks cannot get back assets that address our needs in a Luongo trade then we have no reason to trade him. Just dumping him for the sake of getting him off this team would be the stupidest thing the Gillis regime would have done, and I guarantee it will come back to bite us. Luongo is a year removed from being a Vezina finalist and OUR playoff MVP...it's really a shame how the stupid media and fans of this city have turned on him.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

The_Pauser wrote:If the Canucks cannot get back assets that address our needs in a Luongo trade then we have no reason to trade him. Just dumping him for the sake of getting him off this team would be the stupidest thing the Gillis regime would have done, and I guarantee it will come back to bite us. Luongo is a year removed from being a Vezina finalist and OUR playoff MVP...it's really a shame how the stupid media and fans of this city have turned on him.
I can see MG keeping RL for another year, unless there is a bigger trade like RL+Ray+one of Ricky Schroeder or Rodin for Bjugstad+
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'd like to see the Canucks trade Roberto for a package including Rocco Grimaldi, it'd be worth it for RD's reaction alone...

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012 ... t-in-huet/\

Canucks are apparently interested in Huet for next year.

I'd be down with that, would come dead-cheap for his skill and experience.

Hammond Aigs
AHL Prospect

Post by Hammond Aigs »

dbr wrote:I'd like to see the Canucks trade Roberto for a package including Rocco Grimaldi, it'd be worth it for RD's reaction alone...
I really don't care about RD's reaction anymore. The Gillis-bashing is old, tired, and boring. I'd give (someone else's) left nut for an ignore feature. :thumbs:

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

paddy wrote:Listen I'm not a Cody Hodgson is going to come back and be all Cam Neely and we will rue the day we moved him... But I will say this I wouldn't of moved him at the deadline...
I may not be great when it comes to the placement of the comma, but I really wish people knew the difference between prepositions and verbs (or occasional nouns).

Moving along.....
paddy wrote: the best goalie tandem in the NHL got you beat in round 1... You can't play them both at the same time... Seriously, why are we raising this banner to the rafters exactly??? I am not killing either guy, believe me when I say that, I don't think this team going forward is getting anywhere close to where they wanna go, coming back as is... I am not as down on Gillis as my good buddy Pacific Blue, having said that our GM's asset management is Horrible see the #9 trade...

Agreed on the best goalie tandem Paddy. It is pointless when both are healthy and playing great. The only benefit is when injury strikes or when one of them hits a slump, and the whole point in having all world goaltending is avoiding the ups and downs that the average goaltender goes through over the course of a season. The great goaltenders have a slump that lasts a single game, two tops, and then they bounce back with show stopping performances. The only other time it is a bonus is when the team has lost confidence in one of the goaltenders, and I think that was the case over the course of the last two seasons. Schneider almost always brought his A game, while Lou, on the other hand, brought a bunch of A games that had a 5 minute stretch of D-minus play. This last season he was up and down like a yo-yo. Time to move on.

I also agree with you about this team going forward. There is a complacency in this group that is more than a trifle worrisome, and it has been there for a while. I think part of it filters down from the head coach, and part of it rests with some of the core players who have ended up with NTC's and aren't held accountable by a coach who plays favorites and rewards practice efforts over game performance. I also think management has dropped the ball when it comes to player management, there are some players that have been retained that should have been let go, or failing that, kept on a shorter contract that is more movable/manageable.

As for the Hodgson deal, I think Hodgson has tremedous upside offensively, but I also believe he is going to be a third rate defensive center. Obviously the defensive side of the game takes more time to learn effectively, particularly when you have been in an offensive role for the majority of your playing career. Moving him out for a guy who can bring this team a badly needed mean and physical edge was a smart move. I also think that the return for Hodgson at the deadline was more than it would have been at the draft or come July. He was one of the better rookies this year, but he was older than many of them and he would likely have gotten less consideration for the Calder because of the team he played on. Moreover, and everyone who has said it before is right, Hodgson was not going to get much opportunity here in Vancouver for at least another 3 years. The only area that I can see where it was a bad decision timing-wise is when I consider where we are right now and how much easier it would be for Gillis to be moving out a package of Luongo AND Hodgson while getting an incredible return. I also think that had Gillis been able to approach Nashville with a deal that included Hodgson and Edler in exchange for Weber's rights that there would have been a better than fair chance that Weber would be a Canuck to start next season.

As to Kassian, well judgement simply has to be reserved on him until we see what he brings this coming season. Should a deal be worked out and a new CBA see's the season start on time, then I think he deserves until at least the middle of November to settle in and really find his role on the team. It is completely unfair to judge that trade based on what we saw from the trade deadline through to game 5 of the opening round. You can't expect a guy with Kassian's level of NHL experience to simply replace a player who had more than double the number of NHL games under his belt. Nor can you expect it when looking at the teams the respective players in question played for. Hodgson mas completely sheltered and played the majority (if not all) of his NHL games behind two of the league's better centers (Henrik being among the best). Kassian played on a weak team that didn't boast near the same depth as Vancouver. The coaches are also very different, Ruff has a bit of a reputation for being an asshole towards his players and for calling them out. Vigneault rarely (if ever) calls an individual out by name in public and I have never heard him give his entire team a complete "dressing down" in the press. Young players don't usually grow quickly in toxic environments where the coach doesn't know how to inspire the players without ripping them apart. He is notoriously impatient with young players, but when his boss is telling him to give the kid a chance, well we saw what happened with Hodgson, sheltered minutes, loads of opportunity to shine and gain confidence in his game. Kassian will be given the chance to prove himself, but that chance was not the final quarter of last season.

Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

The_Pauser wrote:If the Canucks cannot get back assets that address our needs in a Luongo trade then we have no reason to trade him.
We have 5.3 million reasons to trade him.

What a waste of cap space to have huge $ sitting on the bench...whether it be Luongo or Schneider. We HAVE to trade him and put those cap dollars to better use, and the sooner the better. Gillis saying he's happy to start the season with both goalies is posturing bullshit. He may have to wait until the season has started to get the best deal, but he won't be happy about it.