Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by Chef Boi RD »

TDA Rum wrote:The guy form NHL Beat( never heard of him so don't know if he is credible ) has said that Florida has agreed to include Bjustad if the Canucks add Schroeder and a 2nd... fwiw...
Curious, IMO Schroeder and a 2nd round pick is pretty fair straight up for Bjugstad. With that in mind, what would we be getting for Luongo then?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

According to KK, what's holding the deal up is Florida's reluctance to include Bjugstad in the Luongo deal, once they finally accept to deal him, I think this trade will pick up mad steam.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

SKYO wrote:According to KK, what's holding the deal up is Florida's reluctance to include Bjugstad in the Luongo deal, once they finally accept to deal him, I think this trade will pick up mad steam.
In the 2010 draft, the Canucks optioned to give Florida their first pick since the player they wanted was no longer available. Was Bjugstad the guy they were watching?
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Well we know the player wasn't Howden.

I would imagine there were a few players Gillis had in mind with his pick that he would have taken if they fell. The one that TSN mentioned as a for sure was that if Tinordi was available Gillis would have kept the 2010 pick.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The bottom line is, no deal is getting done until Gillis lowers his demands. Ain't no pressure on Tallon to make this deal. I'm fully expecting that the best prospect we will get out of the Panthers will be either or of Howden or Petrovic.

Wouldn't that be salt in the wound if we get Howden back in a Luongo trade especially after Gillis has publicly said he wishedhe never offered up the first round pick in the Ballard trade.

Speaking of Bjugstad, what is Gillis obsession with Americans?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

tantalum wrote:Well we know the player wasn't Howden.

I would imagine there were a few players Gillis had in mind with his pick that he would have taken if they fell. The one that TSN mentioned as a for sure was that if Tinordi was available Gillis would have kept the 2010 pick.
The TO Star confirms this, amoung other things.
the player Vancouver wanted was not available at the 25th spot. Vancouver really wanted Jarred Tinordi, but the Canadiens traded up to grab him at 22nd.
Vancouver traded away most of their high round picks for this draft: the second rounder went to Buffalo in exchange for Steve Bernier back in 2008; the third rounder to Carolina for Andrew Alberts in 2010; and prior to the 2010 draft, the Panthers got Vancouver’s first rounder, plus Bernier and Michael Grabner for Keith Ballard
Effectively, our 2010 2nd + Grabner + 2010 1st were traded for Ballard & Oreo (assuming our 2009 3rd was a wash against Lukowich - not listed here).
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nh ... dian-clubs
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

surreal78 wrote:Luongo's cap hit is only $5.3m, FWIW.
Considering there is supposed to be a buy-out clause down the line, a tender like Lou for that cap hit looks sweet. I woould bet that is part of MG and his selling strategy.

Not that the man is a genius because I am still not sure of Booth, Ballard or Kassian. Hope it works out but sure hated to lose Cody. I find it alarming that many blame the kid and his family when it clearly was a case of mismanagement from Day One. The well was poisoned after the hint that the kid was goofing over his back and THAT is not good management.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: The bottom line is, no deal is getting done until Gillis lowers his demands.
Actually no deal is getting done until the offer(s) increase(s).

Not much of a poker player are ya RD?
RoyalDude wrote: Ain't no pressure on Tallon to make this deal.
Oh reeeeeeeeally? :roll:
____
Try to focus on someday.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Nope no pressure on Tallon at all:

- He's only made it known he is interested and in doing so is not happy or content with his own goaltending (lots of talk about how Luongo felt after being sat down for Schneider but very little on how Panther goaltenders must feel knowing the GM wants to replace one of them...). LeBrun and MacGuire at points during the playoffs and offseason have mentioned that in teh end they were not satisfied with the goaltending last year (mainly in the first round) and they aren't sold on Markstrom being ready in the very near future (they want him in the AHL for at least another year and then 2-3 years as a backup).

-The Canes are likely better. The Caps are not likely to sleep through another year. The Lightening are an unknown but could be better. The Panthers are in a fight to make the playoffs IMO and they desperately need to build on last seasons success. Goaltending is a potential weakness now and for the next 4/5 years and they need to address it. They also have a great prospect pool to be able to address it without hurting the pipeline

-it's been well publicized that ownership has given the blessing for the contract. Make no mistake Tallon wants Luongo but he of course isn't going to pay a higher price unless he has to.

Enter Brian Burke or another team or two. I say Burke because it seems as the new leaves ownership does not see another year of failure as an option. Well even the old ownership likely wouldn't. Burke needs to make the playoffs and once he's done whining about the price, and kicking tires at other Cloutier-esque possibilities he'll up the offer. This will force the hands of other GMs.

you get the drift. There is no sense for Gillis to sell low as he can do that at any time. Might as well wait to see how high it might get. And honestly if the NHL digs in on contract length for the next CBA the Luongo contract actually looks MORE attractive to teams.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

tantalum wrote:...Enter Brian Burke or another team or two. I say Burke because it seems as the new leaves ownership does not see another year of failure as an option. ....
Pleasing as it would be to see Burke & the laughs flounder yet again, if they offered JVR for Luongo, Gillis should run with it - unless Tallon upped the ante. The Schenn / JVR trade made the laughs a more interesting dance partner.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

tantalum wrote:Nope no pressure on Tallon at all:

- He's only made it known he is interested and in doing so is not happy or content with his own goaltending (lots of talk about how Luongo felt after being sat down for Schneider but very little on how Panther goaltenders must feel knowing the GM wants to replace one of them...). LeBrun and MacGuire at points during the playoffs and offseason have mentioned that in teh end they were not satisfied with the goaltending last year (mainly in the first round) and they aren't sold on Markstrom being ready in the very near future (they want him in the AHL for at least another year and then 2-3 years as a backup).

-The Canes are likely better. The Caps are not likely to sleep through another year. The Lightening are an unknown but could be better. The Panthers are in a fight to make the playoffs IMO and they desperately need to build on last seasons success. Goaltending is a potential weakness now and for the next 4/5 years and they need to address it. They also have a great prospect pool to be able to address it without hurting the pipeline

-it's been well publicized that ownership has given the blessing for the contract. Make no mistake Tallon wants Luongo but he of course isn't going to pay a higher price unless he has to.

Enter Brian Burke or another team or two. I say Burke because it seems as the new leaves ownership does not see another year of failure as an option. Well even the old ownership likely wouldn't. Burke needs to make the playoffs and once he's done whining about the price, and kicking tires at other Cloutier-esque possibilities he'll up the offer. This will force the hands of other GMs.

you get the drift. There is no sense for Gillis to sell low as he can do that at any time. Might as well wait to see how high it might get. And honestly if the NHL digs in on contract length for the next CBA the Luongo contract actually looks MORE attractive to teams.

This is what I have been saying all along, Gillis holds all of the cards :!: There is no need to give Luo away, he is an all-star in this league and his talents are needed by most teams. Some are content to live with the average rather than reach for the exceptional and that has been and still is Burke's problem. Gillis will get more than what RD et al belive. I just hope it's as much as I believe.
Gino's Knuckle
CC Rookie

Post by Gino's Knuckle »

clem wrote:
tantalum wrote:...Enter Brian Burke or another team or two. I say Burke because it seems as the new leaves ownership does not see another year of failure as an option. ....
Pleasing as it would be to see Burke & the laughs flounder yet again, if they offered JVR for Luongo, Gillis should run with it - unless Tallon upped the ante. The Schenn / JVR trade made the laughs a more interesting dance partner.
Would love to see JVR in a Nucks uni. Would hope that we might be able to get a pick or two as well, but I really like his combo of size, speed and hands. Future would look a little brighter were he in the fold.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: The bottom line is, no deal is getting done until Gillis lowers his demands.
Actually no deal is getting done until the offer(s) increase(s).

Not much of a poker player are ya RD?
RoyalDude wrote: Ain't no pressure on Tallon to make this deal.
Oh reeeeeeeeally? :roll:
Yup, no pressure on Tallon, all the pressure is on Gillis. Tallon can wait til the fucking cows come home. It's no secret Doc, there isn't a great market for Lou, couple that with his limited amount of teams he will waive for....Gillis will have to budge first. Nobody wants to give up what he wants. The only team that is real desperate for a goalie is Toronto and I don't like anything what the leaves have to offer, not too mention as time wears on, Luongo will really narrow it down to just a couple of teams he will waive for if he hasn't already.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gino's Knuckle wrote:
clem wrote:
Would love to see JVR in a Nucks uni. Would hope that we might be able to get a pick or two as well, but I really like his combo of size, speed and hands. Future would look a little brighter were he in the fold.
Is JVR the new Sami Salo of injuries.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

JVR caught the injury bug last season, but in the prior two he missed only 11 out of 164 games.