Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by clem »

RoyalDude wrote:I really do not want Patrick Kane. I wish it were the classic case of a 'player you hate, but would love on your team' with Kane but it isn't.

Latest rumor has the New York Islanders in on the Lou Sweepstakes. Griffin Reinhart? Ryan Strome? Nederietter? Fuck, who is on the team other than John Tavares that I would want? Slim pickins it seems.
Travis Hamonic.

Big, physical, young, responsible right side defenseman, with a good shot.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Why would Luongo accept a trade to Long Island?
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
EPC
AHL Prospect

Post by EPC »

Lancer wrote: Patrick Kane is soft-ass punk who talks big when there are bigger people around him. Not many in the Vancouver locker room who would be willing to back up that punk no matter what silks he wears. His antics that got him the publicity this summer raise enough red flags that I would hope Gillis wouldn't go near any deal including him. Skills or no skills, that's a PR and locker room shit storm waiting to happen.
You misspelled drunk twice.
Kane then becomes a central figure piece in a swap to Nashville for Weber
This would be a brilliant move.

But by "then becomes" do you mean we flip him right away/three way deal. or keep Kane until the trade deadline and then start putting a package together for Weber?
CaptainTrev
CC Veteran

Post by CaptainTrev »

From Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts blog:
Let's look at some player situations. First, Roberto Luongo. It's not exactly a state secret that he wants to go to Florida and in a perfect world, the Canucks would send him there. There's a bit of a stalemate now, as the Panthers feel Vancouver is asking too much and the Canucks feel Florida is squeezing too hard. One of the issues is prospects. Florida, which has done a great job stocking the system, is understandably unwilling to move Jacob Markstrom, Erik Gudbranson or Jonathan Huberdeau. An educated guess is that Vancouver has inquired about the "next level" of talented youth, like a Nick Bjugstad or Quinton Howden. Don't think Florida likes that, either. So, between that and the fact the Canucks don't want to take bad salary in return, things aren't really moving at this time.
Not exactly news in the sense that everyone already knows that MG is basically playing a protracted game of chicken with interested GM's.

But what exactly does Tallon think will get this done? A bunch of spare parts and a 7th rounder? We don't need to settle for a Phaneuf-style trade.

Personally, I have high hopes that in any deal MG can score at least an "A" grade prospect and a solid roster player. If Friedman is even close to accurate in this case, I'm really glad nothing has happened yet.
"Perhaps there is no moral to this story."

"Exactly! It's just a bunch of stuff that happened."
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

EPC wrote:
But by "then becomes" do you mean we flip him right away/three way deal. or keep Kane until the trade deadline and then start putting a package together for Weber?
I mean I do not believe for a second it is going to happen but as a side deal right away, not down the road.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I don't think Patrick Kane fits the bill as the type of player this organization is lacking, but from an asset management point of view he would be a fine return. He's a point per game player, he's young, versatile (can play C or RW) and is on a reasonable contract.

From a talent perspective, he could really solidify our secondary scoring. He's young enough that he could be a part of the "next generation" that takes over after the Sedins. I still don't like the guy, and ideally I'd want something different, but if I were Gillis and Chicago offered me Kane for Luongo I'd have to seriously consider it.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Toronto has apparently made an offer to the Kings for Bernier. Right now imo the Leaves are the only team that needs a goalie. We have dodged a few bullets so far but if Bernier were to go to Toronto a lot of our leverage would slip away.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

black ace wrote: Toronto has apparently made an offer to the Kings for Bernier. Right now imo the Leaves are the only team that needs a goalie. We have dodged a few bullets so far but if Bernier were to go to Toronto a lot of our leverage would slip away.
Like omg unproven backup Bernier has nothing to do with the market for Top 5 elite starter Luongo.

There are many teams who could/would/should wanna upgrade from their crappy tenders to Top 5 elite Luongo.

C'mon, you're better than this Blackie....
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Strangelove wrote:
black ace wrote: Toronto has apparently made an offer to the Kings for Bernier. Right now imo the Leaves are the only team that needs a goalie. We have dodged a few bullets so far but if Bernier were to go to Toronto a lot of our leverage would slip away.
Like omg unproven backup Bernier has nothing to do with the market for Top 5 elite starter Luongo.
It has everything to do with the (potential) Luongo trade.
Given the friendly relations :twisted: between Gillis & Burkie, I can just see the stubborn Irishman deciding to roll the dice with unproven Bernier rather than do a trade that helps out the Canucks.

Also, considering the hefty contract & reputation for flopping in the playoffs, which other teams besides TO, FLA and maybe the Hawks do you suppose are really that interested in Lu?
Just curious...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
It has everything to do with the (potential) Luongo trade.
Given the friendly relations :twisted: between Gillis & Burkie, I can just see the stubborn Irishman deciding to roll the dice with unproven Bernier rather than do a trade that helps out the Canucks.

Also, considering the hefty contract & reputation for flopping in the playoffs, which other teams besides TO, FLA and maybe the Hawks do you suppose are really that interested in Lu?
Just curious...
What are you talking about? How could he help the Canucks by trading for Luongo? The Leaves hardly have any players that can instantly improve the Canucks. The only person that a tade for Luongo would help is Burke's own sorry ass. Seriously, I prefer MG trading with the Panthers instead of the Leaves or the Hawks. Why would MG help Burke or Bowman unless it is an extremely good return?
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Jovocop wrote:
What are you talking about? How could he help the Canucks by trading for Luongo? The Leaves hardly have any players that can instantly improve the Canucks. The only person that a tade for Luongo would help is Burke's own sorry ass. Seriously, I prefer MG trading with the Panthers instead of the Leaves or the Hawks. Why would MG help Burke or Bowman unless it is an extremely good return?
A trade with TO that got something - even say a 2nd/3rd line roster player + pick/prospect would be helpful, but freeing up cap space would be the big help, especially as we need to resign Burrows & Edler to some big bucks. (even if we then trade them)

I can't stand the Leaves either, and I would really miss having a laugh at the Maple Laffs - but if it has to be TO then so be it.

It wouldn't be a good idea to trade Lu into the Western Conference, so how many other Eastern teams can we trade with?
Other than TO and the two Florida teams, every other Eastern team has a #1 goalie locked up for big $$$ long term, or else has a promising rookie (ie Holtby)
It also seems like Florida might decide to just stick with Theodore for a couple of years until Markson is ready to be the #1

Boston - Rask
Montreal - Price
Buffalo - Miller
Ottawa - Anderson

Pittsburg - Fleurey
Philly - Bryzgalov
Rangers - Lundqvist
Islanders - Nabakov/dePietro
Jersey - Brodeur

Carolina - Ward
Washington - Holtby/Neuvirth
Winnipeg - Pavlic
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Like omg unproven backup Bernier has nothing to do with the market for Top 5 elite starter Luongo.
Zamboni Driver wrote: It has everything to do with the (potential) Luongo trade.
Two different markets:

1). Market for unproven young goalies who may one day down the road become decent starters.

2). Market for proven elite starters who are guaranteed to win games and get teams like the Leaves into the playoffs.

Leaves don't do Canucks any favours in a Lou trade, just the opposite (Leaves would get the best player in the trade).

Leaves are willing to settle for Booby Prize Bernier because Burkie realizes Canucks are not trading Lou to TO

(other teams are in better position to put together better packages).
Zamboni Driver wrote: Also, considering the hefty contract & reputation for flopping in the playoffs, which other teams besides TO, FLA and maybe the Hawks do you suppose are really that interested in Lu?
Just curious...
"Cap Circumvention" contracts are by definition good contracts.

And yeah Lou flopped himself to within one game of the Cup so yeah who the hell would want a goalie like that? :roll:

Teams that could/would/should want to add Roberto Luongo to their roster this summer:

Toronto Maple Leaves
Tampa Bay Lightning
Columbus Blue Jackets
Washington Capitals
New York Islanders
San Jose Sharks
Florida Panthers
Chicago Blackhawks
Edmonton Oilers

Not that it matters seeing as how Lou is going to the Cats.

There was only ONE team Jordan Staal wanted to go to... and Pens/Canes worked out a fair deal amirite?
Zamboni Driver wrote: It wouldn't be a good idea to trade Lu into the Western Conference

I'd be interested in knowing why a guy who thinks Lou is on a crappy contract and is crappy in the playoffs

..... is worried about trading him to a western team! :eh:

Eh ZD, EH?? :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

Strangelove wrote:

There are many teams who could/would/should wanna upgrade from their crappy tenders to Top 5 elite Luongo.

C'mon, you're better than this Blackie....
Burke for alot of years here Doc pumped a great deal of Air in the tires of one Dan Cloutier... Would it shock you if he sorta went off the board again with Bernier???
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Why can't the Canucks take Theodore ( who doesn't want to play in Vcr ) from Florida as part of the Luongo deal and then move him on to TO and let the other parts fall into place. Unless of course Theodore doesn't want to go to TO either. Big market team. Anonymous in Florida might be attractive to him plus of course the market price for S American drugs is lower and better availability as I understand.

If BB takes Bernier, the chances of him making the play-offs takes a dive, and who knows maybe his job with it. BIG gamble for Mr Burke. Bernier is a guy that's never played in the big games so far.
cheers
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Burke's nemesis in hockey will always be goaltending. He doesn't want to pay through the roof for a sure thing like a Luongo so he settles for something of riskier option in which will end up biting him in that lardy butt of his.

Gillis nemesis is acquiring that first rate, core type forward to play on the top two lines in which this team sorely needs. Sorry people, David Booth just isn't that guy. I like the Garrison acquisition but that one was as about as hard as signing fellow B.C.'er Dan Hamhius. I still think we need a little more tweaking on our Defense but our top 2 lines need an injection of new life. I could live with Doan for a couple years, it buys Gillis time in hoping that one of these kids will turn up aces for us at the forward position. I really do not see us landing a top 2 line player for Luongo. Just hoping for a decent prospect and a middling 3rd liner I guess.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK