Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JonT21
CC Veteran

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by JonT21 »

ODB wrote:Ok, if you're not following Hockeyy Insiderr on twitter... follow him now. This guy is fucking gold! He's a schizophrenic Eklund. He keeps stabbing his "sources" in the back. Now he's given Dreger 48 hours to publicly apologize to him or he's going to expose him, or some shit like that?!?! Do yourself a favor and don't miss this shit... LOLz, remember when summers were boring?
Hockeyy Insiderr ‏@HockeyyInsiderr

OK @darrendreger u have 48 hours 2unblock me and APPOLOGIZE to me via Twitter or TV. Or I will release this COMPROMISING picture #CONFIRMED
As creeper would say... FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! :lol:
I dont know what to believe in anymore
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

SKYO wrote:I'm guessing MG is waiting to see if we can sign one of Doan or Semin for our top six forward lines.

If he can't sign one of Doan or Semin, he'll probably want Versteeg + Ellerby + Theodore for Lui+Ray.

If not then it be something like Bjugstad + Ellerby + Theodore for Lui+Schroeder.

This is of course Theodore accepts a trade here, I'm assuming he'll get more games here with CS than he would with Luongo in Florida!

Ellerby can then replace Ballard on the bottom six, then as all the dmen are snatched up over the offseason and teams become more desperate, and seeing how much Carle went for, Ballard's $4.2M per doesn't seem so bad, especially for a team really needing a top 4 left side dman.
Ballard can then be traded for 3rd line centerman.
Say no to Semin and his self-proclaimed stardom. How his attitude can be seen as fitting this team is beyond me. He is NOT the type of reclamation projects MG takes on.

Doan on the other hand is all we need for that 2nd line, for leadership purposes etc. I think you're bang on that Gillis waits on Shane - if he looses the bid, we will see the Luongo deal go through. Quite probable.

If there are two choices to be made from what you propose, Versteeg + Ellerby + Theodore or Bjugstad + Ellerby + Theodore, you take the second and run, run, run. Sure Bjugstad has not achieved anything in the NHL yet, but that's to be said of any prospect. He dominated NCAA this year. He was man among boys at the prospect camp that finished a couple of days ago. Judging solely by position, hockey IQ and size (6'6!), let me compare it this way: do you take Versteeg over young Joe Thornton...? I hope not.

Ellerby is a nice kid and Panthers would gladly send him our way. He's #7 on *their* depth chart, with Petrovic and Robak eagerly waiting for their chance. Ellerby is not as good (yet?) as you want him to be. In your scenarios, we should push for Petrovic or Kulikov.
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

Petrovic & Bjugstad alone would probably be a solid return for Lu. Anything more (an additional pick or roster player) would be a definite win.

If I were GMMG, I'd say "screw it" and go for 2 young guys with a ton of potential over a guy like Versteeg, to be honest. Nothing terribly wrong with Versteeg, bur we just don't need yet another 2nd-3rd line tweener. We have plenty already.

Whatever happens, should definitely be interesting. :)

... and as others have said, looks like Doan is our domino. Once he signs (back in PHX, here, or elsewhere), I think that'll get the ball rolling here.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
surreal78 wrote:
I asked the question earlier, does anyone have an opinion?

If TO (or Florida) makes a mediocre (but not great) offer, do you - A) take it and dump Luongo's salary, or - B) turn it down and keep him on the Canucks bench for next year?
You keep him if the deal is not a reasonable one. It will cause more media noise than the Canucks and Luongo would want at the start of the season, but he is a pro and a friend of Schneider's. You basically say to the league, forget it, if my option is a bad deal or possibly the best 1-2 goalie punch in the league...easy call! And yes, the pressure on Toronto to make the playoffs will be intense; it's Burke's job. And who knows what else happens with other team's'; injuries, meltdowns at the position etc.

I love how the media can, in one breath, say Luongo's contract is untradeable, or the Canucks will be lucky to get anything and then turn around and go, "in other news, Staal, Parise, Suter and Crosby" have all signed 10-12 year deals! Yes, Luongo's is a different deal, different age etc...but the idea that teams cannot take on a long contract is, well, patently false. It's just finding the right fit...Gillis should take Luongo's advice, re: poker, don't be anxious to play a hand, wait...wait...wait, for the right time.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Boston Canucker wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
surreal78 wrote:
I asked the question earlier, does anyone have an opinion?

If TO (or Florida) makes a mediocre (but not great) offer, do you - A) take it and dump Luongo's salary, or - B) turn it down and keep him on the Canucks bench for next year?
You keep him if the deal is not a reasonable one. It will cause more media noise than the Canucks and Luongo would want at the start of the season, but he is a pro and a friend of Schneider's. You basically say to the league, forget it, if my option is a bad deal or possibly the best 1-2 goalie punch in the league...easy call! And yes, the pressure on Toronto to make the playoffs will be intense; it's Burke's job. And who knows what else happens with other team's'; injuries, meltdowns at the position etc.

I love how the media can, in one breath, say Luongo's contract is untradeable, or the Canucks will be lucky to get anything and then turn around and go, "in other news, Staal, Parise, Suter and Crosby" have all signed 10-12 year deals! Yes, Luongo's is a different deal, different age etc...but the idea that teams cannot take on a long contract is, well, patently false. It's just finding the right fit...Gillis should take Luongo's advice, re: poker, don't be anxious to play a hand, wait...wait...wait, for the right time.
Agreed - Lu will get a solid return - not what RD seems to think he's going to get, but a solid return nonetheless.

The one thing I find funny is people are talking about a spectacular return for Rick Nash, whose contract is more expensive than Lu's by a fair margin, yet Lu will get shit in return. Doesn't really make much sense but then again most hockey fans on major boards are probably 12 to 18 years old, so it's hard to expect much more.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Michael Yormark, President & Chief Operating Officer of the Florida Panthers NHL Hockey Team wrote:On the road again this week. Heading to vegas for a very important dinner on monday night.
Roberto Luongo is in Vegas for the World Series of Poker...

That said, they're both from Florida so it seems strange they would get together in Vegas.

Ref: http://twitter.com/PanthersYormark/stat ... 3221523457
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

how many people are willing to bet that Lu is bankrupt 10 years after his career is over...he's a gambler...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012 ... s-in-town/
Curious: Panthers president has “important dinner” in Vegas while Roberto Luongo is in town

The trade rumors that continue to rumble between the Florida Panthers and Vancouver Canucks added a bit of curiosity today.

Florida Panthers team president Michael Yormark tweeted seemingly innocuously that he was on the road this week and had a “very important dinner” in Las Vegas set for Monday night. That seems all well and good, team presidents often have to do important business on the road.

Wait, Roberto Luongo is in Vegas at the World Series of Poker? Huh… How about that. It must be a happy coincidence that the president of the team interested in acquiring a player is going to the city where said player is holed up for another event.

I’m sure Canucks GM Mike Gillis, the same guy who had tampering charges filed against leaves GM Brian Burke in 2009, won’t be keeping an eye on either Yormark’s Twitter account or @strombone1 to see if there’s any shenanigans.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Jovocop wrote:http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012 ... s-in-town/
Curious: Panthers president has “important dinner” in Vegas while Roberto Luongo is in town
3 possibilities.

1. It's a total fluke.

2. A trade has been worked out and they are meeting face to face in order to make sure both parties are comfortable.

3. SHENANIGANS!!!

And BTW if it were no3 then there is no way the guilty party is busting himself on Twitter.

Either it's a total fluke or a done deal. Probably a fluke.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

apparently Michael Yormark of the Panthers changed his tweet to say that his big meeting in Las Vegas is with a major gaming industry CEO.
uh huh yeah ok, we believe ya. ;)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

And if his meeting is with Luongo what makes you think he hasn't asked for and received permission to do so?
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

haha scoping out canucks talk on twitter, and just had to read schitzo HockeyInsidurrrp
Ohdee is right, this guy is a drama queen! lol
HockeyyInsiderr (HI)
I exchanged texts with Roberto Luongo today. He has confirmed to me that the twitter account @strombone1 is indeed managed by him. #Canucks

HI
In fact my #FLAPanthers source told me: "Florida no longer front runners for @strombone1 The #leaves have best offer now." #Canucks

HI
Furthermore, my #FLAPanthers source has confirmed Yormark will NOT be meeting @strombone1 in Vegas.

@strombone1
Maybe in ur dreams!“@HockeyyInsiderr: I exchanged texts with Luongo today. He has confirmed to me that @strombone1 is indeed managed by him"

HI
Funny how ppl believe since @strombone1 denied the allegations that = I haven't spoken to him.

HI
The simple fact he responded to my tweet less than 2 minutes after me posting it proves my info. Think about it.
Anyways besides the JerseyShore drama attention whore news, I still think the Doan domino is the key holding this blockbuster trade up!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strombone (@strombone1)
2012-07-09 6:12 PM
Just kidding guys, no Celine for me tonight but I do have an important dinner meeting with a major gaming company CEO! #alsoajoke
:lol:
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

LOL. Gotta love how Luongo's messing with everyone the last few days.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Heard that MG is not any closer to pulling the trigger on a Luongo deal. Still haven't received any offers they would seriously consider. Of course things could change but for now it seems quiet.
The only HW the Canucks need