Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To

Post by clem »

RoyalDude wrote:............ I think Gillis is looking for A vet player, prospect and a top pick, i.e. Theodore, Bjugstad and a guaranteed 2013 first round pick. I'd be happy with that.
Very happy - if Luongo could get all that.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Don't know if I trust the sources, but the smoke is indicating that the fire around a Luongo trade is heating up. Burke has to know that if he misses out on Luongo, he is rolling the dice of his career on the likes of Reimer. Nice kid, but would I risk my career on him?

People are talking about the return on Luongo like that is what Gillis would like to see on Vancouver's roster come the next season. What if he's asking for parts to be used in a trade elsewhere? Just throwing this out there if he isn't tailoring discussions with a mind for a do-able package for Ryan or Nash? A scoring, playmaking top-6 winger is what the Canucks really need now and either of those would fit the bill. Just saying it would be worth it to think about other packages coming back with an eye for further trades.
RoyalDude wrote:The trade will be with Florida and the parts we will be getting back will be something like Bjugstad(sp?), Petrovic, a 2013 conditional 1st if they make the playoffs, or a 2013 conditional 2nd if they don't make the playoffs, either or of Theodore or Versteeg.
That said, this wouldn't be a bad return. Would hope a bidding war would bring something more, though. I still think there are dark horse bidders out there waiting to see what the market becomes.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

donlever wrote:
..hardly the moves of an egotistical asshole.

:?
After so many years, Luo finally gets it. It really is unfortunate he got it as he's leaving Vancouver though but he's finally comfortable with himself and how he interacts with the media.

We're all seeing the real Luo now and the real Luo is a pretty cool guy with a wicked sense of humor.

Luo is gone and that's a fact. The Schneid era has officially begun.

The next question is, who's backing him up?
CrzyCanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by CrzyCanuck »

that was an excellent interview by Luo
Could he deal with 'Chelsea Dagger' in Chicago?

"I like that song. It's catchy. I heard it seven times in one game."
:lol: :lol:

Nobody ever said Luongo was a classless player. He is class

But just his mental stability drags down his game performances :lol:

Farewell Luo, hope you go to Florida

afterall, prince and princess always live happily ever after in a sunny city right.

He'll be remembered,

until Schneider takes over that status in the near future
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote: He's going out with grace. He's a professional that really can dance like a black guy! :thumbs:
Wait... so you're saying he's not a black guy??? :?

____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ODB wrote: egotistical asshole
donlever wrote: egotistical asshole
You guys say that as if it were a bad thing. :?:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

Saw a few comments earlier in the thread about the Canucks/GMMG possibly having a problem with anything Luongo said during that CFOX interview... highly unlikely.
  • His appearance & entry fees at the World Series of Poker are sponsored by BCLC
  • The CFOX interview in Vegas was apparently a requirement of his sponsorship deal with BCLC
  • Player contracts are pretty strict about other sponsorships/endorsement deals - I'm sure the appearance was run by the Canucks' media dept (and management) waaaayyy ahead of time
  • Good odds that both the Canucks and Luongo had a look at the interview questions ahead of time and vetoed any questions they didn't want to deal with
  • Luongo has no vested interest in saying anything that would potentially deter his own trade
Seems to me that GMMG was likely entirely aware of what was going on and probably had a good idea of what would be said. I doubt it has any negative impact on a potential trade... if nothing else, it may actually enhance things as it definitely helped Luongo's image by showcasing his sense of humour and class in a tricky situation.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The interview also shows he is willing to waive and go to several teams, although we obviously don't know which ones. He also said he would listen to any offer and make a decision that was not only good for him but fair to the Canucks. He also said never say never, he may be back even though he feels it is time to move on. Sounded to me that he would come back if no trade was worked out and be OK with it. Remember contractually he can demand a trade in two years anyway so I think if he had to come back he would make it work even though thats not his first choice.

He also made it clear he would be retiring long before the contract was up.

If anything I think the interview helps the Canucks and adds consistency to what MG has been saying all along. It certainly does not put pressure on MG as was the case with Heatley and in the case of Nash.

Luongo is showing his class throughout all of this. The highs and lows of fan love/hate and the obvious playoff disappointments. I hope he stays in the East so I can continue to cheer for him. The greatest goalie we have ever had and a new chapter.
The only HW the Canucks need
mpp
CC Veteran

Post by mpp »

surreal78 wrote: Luongo has no vested interest in saying anything that would potentially deter his own trade
This.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Here's something to pique our curiosity....last night I noticed that Kris Versteeg's name is no longer included in the list of roster players on the Panthers' web-site! Today, still missing... :wink: And, yes, I realize he is an RFA, but so are Kulikov and Ellerby, and they are still listed in the roster! So....any thoughts? :look:
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I would doubt Versteeg would be part of any return - I would like him to be but Florida has very few goal scores so I can't see them trading one of the ones they do have. Could be wrong though.

It sure seems like Florida is the choice, even Pierre Lebrun was talking about it yesterday and that there was some traction to the deal. In my mind it's just the return to figure out, and I think those Nuck fans who are looking for a Bjugstad, Petrovic and 1st deal are going to be sorely disappointed. I'd assume it will be decent roster player, good prospect and a 1st.

I wonder if there is any thought to getting this done before the 10th when Doan is due to make his decision? Would sure be nice to know what kind of cap space you have available. You can obviously go over the cap in the summer, but it may hamstring your ability to make a good deal for Lu if you can't take any money back.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

I would like Versteeg too, but as Diehard says i can't see him moving from FLA.

Perhaps if Gillis sweetened the Vancouver end of the deal ..... Burrows ?

If it's just Luo I can see one of ( Bjugstad, Shore or Petrovic) , a 1st and maybe Mathias.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Twitter is possible one of the worse inventions of man kind next to the bra 8-)

But all joking aside 99% of the shit on twitter/blogs is absolute horseshit either the person is hoping if they say it enough times it will come true or if they if they say 100 things 1 may just become correct.

@reefer1 - Luongo will be traded within the next 24 months to 29 different teams for a combination of players/prospects and possible draft picks.

There I am correct and probably more accurate than anyone else.

No one knows what is going on, it is not hard to look at the NHL teams pick a few that need a goalie and tweet that the teams are talking. Of course any good GM will call and see if a deal can be done. I guess with it being summer there is nothng better to do than this.

At the end I just want a good trade and if it means MG waits a year then he does.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I would like Versteeg too, but as Diehard says i can't see him moving from FLA.

Perhaps if Gillis sweetened the Vancouver end of the deal ..... Burrows ?

If it's just Luo I can see one of ( Bjugstad, Shore or Petrovic) , a 1st and maybe Mathias.
I would like Matthias - 6'4" center who is only 24 and had 24 points last year. Could be a shutdown. Guy and has the size to play against anybody in the west.

Other than that - a guy like Howden or Petrovic would be my choices. Both big players who can skate, Petrovic is a big, mean dman and Howden a big, fast LW who is not nearly as physical.

Supposedly ESPN is reporting the deal with Florida is all but done, but Theodore may not waive his no trade to come to Van. Guess we will see..
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I agree with you Diehard, even Bjustad if we can get him, Versteeg has some talent but he is way too inconsistent, he only plays hard when he feels like it..... we need players the go hard all the time...