MG Post Season Comments

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Raymond's play has been poor since Christmas time of the 2009-10 season. He has had exactly one good half season in 4 in the NHL. He is a soft, decent defensive 30 point player . That is about the ceiling regardless of what line he is on. Let him walk and bring in a player with a set of testicles.
To blame Raymond's lousy play on the broken back is laughable. He sucked shit for a good season and a half before then.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3020
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:10 pm

The only thing I wanted to hear out of Blotchy face himself - Mike Gillis regarding our lame ass forward group is that "we are getting rid of totally useless pieces of Shyte in - Pahlsson, Higgins, Malhotra, Weise and Booth." And then follows with "and after they are gone, we are getting rid of the mouthpiece, whiners and divers in Lapierre, Burrows and Kesler"
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4318
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Raymond's play has been poor since Christmas time of the 2009-10 season. He has had exactly one good half season in 4 in the NHL. He is a soft, decent defensive 30 point player . That is about the ceiling regardless of what line he is on. Let him walk and bring in a player with a set of testicles.
To blame Raymond's lousy play on the broken back is laughable. He sucked shit for a good season and a half before then.


I'm blaming the plague on Raymond.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4318
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby the Dogsalmon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:28 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Raymond's play has been poor since Christmas time of the 2009-10 season. He has had exactly one good half season in 4 in the NHL. He is a soft, decent defensive 30 point player . That is about the ceiling regardless of what line he is on. Let him walk and bring in a player with a set of testicles.
To blame Raymond's lousy play on the broken back is laughable. He sucked shit for a good season and a half before then.


I'm blaming the plague on Raymond.




and for all these years i have been telling people it was caused by fleas...do i ever look stupid...
User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby Zamboni Driver » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:45 pm

RoyalDude wrote:The only thing I wanted to hear out of Blotchy face himself - Mike Gillis regarding our lame ass forward group is that "we are getting rid of totally useless pieces of Shyte in - Pahlsson, Higgins, Malhotra, Weise and Booth." And then follows with "and after they are gone, we are getting rid of the mouthpiece, whiners and divers in Lapierre, Burrows and Kesler"


If you hate the whole team why are you even a fan?
Just wonderin'

Burrows isn't giving value for his $2 million?

Higgins isn't earning his keep? :roll:
User avatar
Zamboni Driver
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby Meds » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Zamboni Driver wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The only thing I wanted to hear out of Blotchy face himself - Mike Gillis regarding our lame ass forward group is that "we are getting rid of totally useless pieces of Shyte in - Pahlsson, Higgins, Malhotra, Weise and Booth." And then follows with "and after they are gone, we are getting rid of the mouthpiece, whiners and divers in Lapierre, Burrows and Kesler"


If you hate the whole team why are you even a fan?
Just wonderin'

Burrows isn't giving value for his $2 million?

Higgins isn't earning his keep? :roll:


When RD gets like that it's best to just ignore him because rational thought went out the window a long time ago.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3158
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby Waffle » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:35 pm

You have to admit that there is some sense in some of RD's suggestions.

Would you rather have Booth at 4.5 million or Sean Bergenheim at 2.75 million for example.
Waffle
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:38 am

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby Zamboni Driver » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:00 am

Waffle wrote:Would you rather have Booth at 4.5 million or Sean Bergenheim at 2.75 million for example.


Are you saying that MG was offered Bergenheim OR Booth?

Basically we traded Samuelsson, a skilled veteran but also remembered for inconsistant & disinterested play - for Booth.
They both got about 30 points in about 55 games this season, so it's not like we traded Malkin or Giroux for him. :mrgreen:

Hopefully he will bounce back next season.
User avatar
Zamboni Driver
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby Tanti09 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:09 am

Booth has to be one of the most ineffective players in the NHL at winning puck battles, especially along the boards. His strengths are speed and size, he's one dimensional and in order to round out his game he needs to work at the intangibles.
User avatar
Tanti09
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:24 pm
Location: East Van

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby FAN » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:34 am

Booth fits into the type of players Gillis likes. Good size & speed combination, great work ethic and attitude, good shot that isn't accurate, and has good moves but poor/inconsistent finish. Booth has scored or averaged 22-23 goals over the course of 82 games with one season scoring 31. Convservatively, you can expect Booth to score 20+ goals over the course of 82 games but Gillis acquired Booth to score closer to 30. Booth is an exciting player and he's one of those players you really want to succeed. I just hope he lives up to his contract.
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby Reefer2 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:16 am

Yawn - we got exactly what they wanted to tell us, nothing was earth shattering and nor should we expect it. MG is a calculated guy who like any good politician talks a lot but says nothing.

last year this team was 1 win away from a SC, in the off season I believe majority of the fans wanted the team a little bigger and gritier (sp), instead they signed Booth as the only major addition because MG and AV thought the core could do it again but with different results if the players were healthy.

This year is the same thing, this team needs to get into the dirty areas better and quit making mistakes in their own end. I know earlier I said someone like Kesler could go but that was in the heat of the moment. I still say this is a good team and just needs 2 pieces to the pie, a) #2 centre who can go into the dirty area and b) a true #1 big defender.

AV also needs to do a hell of a lot better job managing players time, I said earlier in the season that in games when they are up by 2 - 3 or down 2 - 3 AV needed to play the bottom paring more and the 3rd and 4th line more to rest the core players for the playoffs.
User avatar
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby tantalum » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:44 am

FAN wrote:Booth fits into the type of players Gillis likes. Good size & speed combination, great work ethic and attitude, good shot that isn't accurate, and has good moves but poor/inconsistent finish. Booth has scored or averaged 22-23 goals over the course of 82 games with one season scoring 31. Convservatively, you can expect Booth to score 20+ goals over the course of 82 games but Gillis acquired Booth to score closer to 30. Booth is an exciting player and he's one of those players you really want to succeed. I just hope he lives up to his contract.


Is it that much of a jump from 23 goals (which his pace was this year) to 28 goals with some off season work on shot a la Kesler? Heck even being healthy and not dealing with a knee injury etc could result in that. He's a 25ish goal scorer and those don't grow on trees (only about 60 forwards had 25 or more goals this year). He has stuff to work on to be sure but in this day and age $4 mil is unfortunately not a front line player.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby Per » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:17 am

Sedins will not attend the world championship. :cry:

They showed some interest, but after talking to Canucks management they said no. Guess they were given strict orders to take some time off and rest themselves into shape for next season. <_<

Btw, the puck drops on May 4th. Head on over to the World Championship thread and start posting!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9090
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby RoyalDude » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:21 am

Zamboni Driver wrote:If you hate the whole team why are you even a fan?
Just wonderin'

Burrows isn't giving value for his $2 million?

Higgins isn't earning his keep? :roll:


Love the Canucks, and that there in lies the problem, padre - I just don't like the team Gillis assembled this year. Do you have a problem with that? Not a fan of David Booth types of players. Hate hearing people hyping him up better than he actually is. Can't stand Pahlsson, the need to have 3 defensive centres in Malhotra, Lappiere and Pahlsson makes no sense. You only need one, and that is on the 4th line. What happened to playing defense with offense like we used to. Gillis fucked up by changing the style and make-up of team in mid-stride. The team looked confused. There is a reason Chris Higgins has played on 5 different teams in his young NHL career, again overhyped by many around here. Please tell me, where the fuck was he against the LA Kings? Dale Weise? I'm not even gonna bother. I'd might feel different if he wasn't as bad a fighter as Oreskovich is. So I don't quite understand what his role is here, and I don't think he does as well, can't fight, can't play hockey? WTF?

To be honest, outside of the Sedins I don't like much, well, I do like Burrows and hope that Kesler can fix himself and I actually do like the potential of Kassian, I just thought the CoHo trade could have been held off to the off-season, I like Hansen and lo and behold I am willing to give Raymond the chance of having a proper off-season to train instead of jumping right into a season from a devestating back injury without a proper off-season training program, in which it seems like I am the only that understands why he can barely stand on his feet, if any of you have ever suffered back injuries you'd understand how weak your core strenght is.

Anyhow, shoot me if I like skill players, who play an intelligent puck possession game and can actually see where their teamates are on the ice and how to get them the puck. I can't stand Shut Down/Stone Hands/Brain Fart Hockey, where is the fucking excitement in that? Woo Hoo, yay, great checking!
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4318
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Postby Southern_Canuck » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:41 am

tantalum wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:I heard that, and immediately started wondering who the other 5 were...

I bet Ryan Johansen (Columbus) was one.

Maybe Jonathan Huberdeau (Florida) or Sean Couturier (Philadelphia)? Erik Gudbranson (Florida)? Ryan Strome (NYI)?

I wonder...

S_C


Rumours were the other one that had some traction on deadline day was Carlson (D) from the Caps. No idea if that traction was simply part of the wish list or if the Caps had entertained it a bit.

Another one was Sutter from the Canes.


Hmmm - Elliotte Friedman - I find it interesting to know the types of young players that Gillis would target, it seems that this would extend to Canuck drafting strategy... so the 6 players were likely:

Zack Kassian
John Carlson (Washington)
Brandon Sutter (Carolina)
and
Erik Gudbranson? (Florida)
Chris Kreider? (NYR)
?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], BladesofSteel, Google [Bot] and 1 guest