MG Post Season Comments

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: MG Post Season Comments

Post by Jovocop »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:On Raymond:

Not ready to give up on him yet. Returned from a devastating injury that had serious life consequences and not all players could return from that type of injury. He will be given a chance to regain his form and will be evaluated along with everyone else.

On Goalies:

No reason why we can't move forward with both, they are great friends and help and support each other tremendously. Cory was deliberately given key games throughout the season to test if he was ready to be a number one and the goal was to get him 30+ starts which he got. He passed all tests and they believe he is capable of being a number one. Given the teams confidence in both goalies as being number 1s the dynamic has changed in that the team needs to look at what type of return they could get. He will sit down and talk to both Cory and Luongo today and get a feel for what they want. Has no problem starting the season with both being back but will evaluate it over the course of the summer. Isn't sure yet if Eddie is ready. He's close but we won't know for sure until camp.
These two comments are as much about retaining as much trade value possible afaic.
You're taking a risk offering Raymond a new contract as you might get this years model again. You're taking a risk letting him walk away if he returns to the model from the 2 previous seasons after a proper off season of training.

I'll also point out last year, Raymond had just as many even strength points as he did the year before. The reduction in points came from less time on the PP and no kelser on the 2nd unit. I assume that means Gillis saw more value in his previous season than most fans.

I would think what Gillis does depends on how the team feels his injury affected him this season. These comments might shed some light on his thoughts.
Why didn't Raymond get more PP time? Was he surpassed by others on the pp depth chart? Henrik, Daniel and Kesler were fixtures on the powerplay. Would you rather have Booth, Higgins, and Burrows on the powerplay than Raymond? He was given every chance to succeed but failed to do so. Unlike Kesler, Raymond was not expected to carry a line. He was just there to compliment a line but still failed miserably.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

ESQ wrote:I think he feels the ability to sustain that level of competitiveness over such a long period of time was a major factor in the way the season ended, and I'm very curious to know how he plans to address that. Obviously it goes beyond just hiring a sports psychologist, maybe more targeted days off or games off for key players, not playing through injury, etc.
Keeping the team mentally fresh is huge. One thing might be to hold players back from the all-star game. I know that would not be popular and would be problematic for the league but an "injury" here or there might be in order. Then the whole team could be encouraged to have a complete break - hole up at home or head to somewhere warm for a complete re-charge. No ice, no nothing.

With the parity in the league now the pressure to sustain a high level of play all season long is punishing. We don't have the super teams of years past - Islanders, Oilers etc. It really only matters that you make the playoffs and are prepared for them. I think we've seen that already.....unfortunately.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

ESQ wrote:
Just to add to that, he was questioned about the emotional pressure on players after the past year and the seeming pinnacle with the Boston game, and said it is something they're looking to address in their "human management program", which includes the fatigue study and the nutritionists and all that.

I think he feels the ability to sustain that level of competitiveness over such a long period of time was a major factor in the way the season ended, and I'm very curious to know how he plans to address that. Obviously it goes beyond just hiring a sports psychologist, maybe more targeted days off or games off for key players, not playing through injury, etc.
I think taking the decision out of a player's hands as to whether they can or can not return from injury is the most important. All we (the fans) care about is from April 1 onwards. I could care less if Kesler played 25 games this season - if he came into the playoffs in peak form, that's a hell of a lot better than coming in with a dodgy hip because he came back too early and a potential ailing shoulder. I also could care if Henrik is the ironman of the NHL right now. He needed time off in March as he was obviously fighting something. Granted he was the Canuck who stepped up the most in the post-season, but perhaps could have been even stronger.

Who was our best defensemen in the 1st round? Kevin Bieksa perhaps? Did Bieksa take a few games off to take care of a nagging injury prior to playoffs? Maybe a correlation, maybe not, but I'm sure the rest didn't hurt.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Tanti09 wrote: I think taking the decision out of a player's hands as to whether they can or can not return from injury is the most important. All we (the fans) care about is from April 1 onwards. I could care less if Kesler played 25 games this season - if he came into the playoffs in peak form, that's a hell of a lot better than coming in with a dodgy hip because he came back too early and a potential ailing shoulder. I also could care if Henrik is the ironman of the NHL right now. He needed time off in March as he was obviously fighting something. Granted he was the Canuck who stepped up the most in the post-season, but perhaps could have been even stronger.
The problem was that Kesler missed the training camp and offseason workout. Physically, he just could not catch up to the rest of the team. Playing less games might help him to heal but might not help him to catch up physically.
Tanti09 wrote: Who was our best defensemen in the 1st round? Kevin Bieksa perhaps? Did Bieksa take a few games off to take care of a nagging injury prior to playoffs? Maybe a correlation, maybe not, but I'm sure the rest didn't hurt.
Hamhuis and Ballard (with limited minutes) were the best defensemen in the playoffs. Bieksa had quite a few brainfarts but luckily for him, they did not turn into goals against. Edler, well, was brutal. Tanev was ok but with no offense whatsoever. Salo was just a step slower than last year...
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Southern_Canuck wrote: I heard that, and immediately started wondering who the other 5 were...

I bet Ryan Johansen (Columbus) was one.

Maybe Jonathan Huberdeau (Florida) or Sean Couturier (Philadelphia)? Erik Gudbranson (Florida)? Ryan Strome (NYI)?

I wonder...

S_C
Rumours were the other one that had some traction on deadline day was Carlson (D) from the Caps. No idea if that traction was simply part of the wish list or if the Caps had entertained it a bit.

Another one was Sutter from the Canes.

On Raymond...there isn't much issue IMO. If he's good enough to make the team out of camp he's earned his spot. if not he can be waived or buried. I don't worry too much about that potential cap hit. He'll be qualified but I still think he may be moved along with whatever goaltender at the draft.

And of course he feels comfortable going into next season with both goaltenders...who wouldn't be? But there is really no chance of that happening. That he will talk to Luongo about what Luongo wants to do tells me Gillis will give him the opportunity to waive that NTC. That likely stems from the either these types of discussions taking place and/or the knowledge Gillis has about the personal situation Luongo is in right now. Honestly, save the marriage or divorce, Luongo is going to want to be closer to Florida where his kid will be.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Hodgson a handful and then some....wow what a suprise (not)..can we stop waxing poetic and lamenting the loss now?

Kesler never fully healthy....wow what a surprise (not)....can we stop trading him now or is he still a useless entity and the ripe old age of 27?
DeLevering since 1999.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Topper wrote:Cody, arrogant (I pointed that out during his WJC performance) headcase who, by design, took only ~8 d zone face offs (something I pointed out back in November) all season. On a side note, according to Spudly, I am retarded when it comes to Cody. LOL.
I gotta give you full props, I remember you saying that at the old site and thinking, how the hell can you judge him to be a prima donna based on what should have been a tournament MVP performance?

I still don't know how you called it, but you did.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

donlever wrote:Kesler never fully healthy....wow what a surprise (not)....can we stop trading him now or is he still a useless entity and the ripe old age of 27?
My only concern with Kesler is about how much mileage he's going to get out of that body playing the way he does. I'm not saying I'm for trading him at all; but when it comes to asset management and selling high MG should consider just how effective of a player he'll be when he's 30.
2011..... the one that got away.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
My only concern with Kesler is about how much mileage he's going to get out of that body playing the way he does.... MG should consider just how effective of a player he'll be when he's 30.
..perhaps a viable concern.

Dude is "always" hurt.

But part of growing as a player is learning to play within the confines of your abilities and not going balls to the wall 100%
of the time so you do have something left come crunch time.

Kelser is UFA at 31 regardless so time is on our side Mick.
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

donlever wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
My only concern with Kesler is about how much mileage he's going to get out of that body playing the way he does.... MG should consider just how effective of a player he'll be when he's 30.
..perhaps a viable concern.

Dude is "always" hurt.

But part of growing as a player is learning to play within the confines of your abilities and not going balls to the wall 100%
of the time so you do have something left come crunch time.

Kelser is UFA at 31 regardless so time is on our side Mick.
Yes it is.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Yes it is.
lol

..we were always the best.
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

donlever wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Yes it is.
lol

..we were always the best.
ASN.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Very interesting presser by GMMG! Actually gave out a lot more substance than I expected. I am still a fan of our GM! :) As far as the future of Raymond is concerned, I would suggest more of you have a read of a piece by Thomas Drance over at Canucksarmy a few weeks ago, where he dug deep in his analysis of Raymond's not-so-obvious value to the team. Bottom line, despite some regression in production, what he still brings is his capacity to "drive the game". I have been impressed with Drance's work for a while, and this piece is illuminating. By the way, he has another today that is also good about the organization's use of "advanced stats". Highly recommended! :hmmm:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I must say I am most pleased with the overall boards demeanor..

Next year is our year, not last nor this but next...trust me on that.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:One thing I meant to say, MG said that Cody was built up for a trade. He didn't use those words. By design he took fewer than 5% defensive zone face offs and was put in the best position to succeed.
Unfortunately zone starts are tracked and Gillis was less then truthfull with his comments on that.

Clearly he was getting sheltered ice time but what Gillis said was a major exaggeration if not fabrication.

Cody was getting slightly more offensive zone draws then defensive, he was playing with 3rd and sometimes 4th liners, and getting second unit power play time (Which was well deserved BTW he was very, very good on the power play).

That said I do believe him when he says that Cody was a PITA.
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.