2012 UFAs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: 2012 UFAs

Post by ESQ »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: I just don't think he's worth 7
The numbers are just arbitrary though aren't they?

I mean everything is relative to the market and the market is base on the players available and the cap space teams are looking to spend.
That's it right there. I guarantee, $7 million for Vanek will look like a steal in a year's time. None of the players or agents expected the cap to go up and such an astonishing rate (kind of calls into question the league's accounting heading into the lockout :wink: )

People's expectations of players' salaries is also not in step with the rise in the cap. I was very reticent about Nash at first because of the cap hit, but now that I consider what the few UFAs this year will be getting on the open market, Nash is actually a fair price.

Put it this way - Parise will get around what Nash got. Who would you rather have?
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

ESQ wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: I just don't think he's worth 7
The numbers are just arbitrary though aren't they?

I mean everything is relative to the market and the market is base on the players available and the cap space teams are looking to spend.
That's it right there. I guarantee, $7 million for Vanek will look like a steal in a year's time. None of the players or agents expected the cap to go up and such an astonishing rate (kind of calls into question the league's accounting heading into the lockout :wink: )
Also kinda depends if the CBA will change the numbers.
I don't think the owners will get down to the 50/50 that they want, but if it does go down a few points it could mean that the cap will be the same.
old calamari
CC Veteran

Post by old calamari »

Gillis said he wants some young guys with size and some skill so i would go after Jones and maybe start talks with the Leafe to go after Schenn. Now you have the building blocks of young big forwards in Kassian and Jones and a big heavy body on defence. Shenn has been shit on in Toronto but could really be a good fit here.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

old calamari wrote:Gillis said he wants some young guys with size and some skill so i would go after Jones and maybe start talks with the Leafe to go after Schenn. Now you have the building blocks of young big forwards in Kassian and Jones and a big heavy body on defence. Shenn has been shit on in Toronto but could really be a good fit here.
Ballard/Raymond?
2011..... the one that got away.
old calamari
CC Veteran

Post by old calamari »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
old calamari wrote:Gillis said he wants some young guys with size and some skill so i would go after Jones and maybe start talks with the Leafe to go after Schenn. Now you have the building blocks of young big forwards in Kassian and Jones and a big heavy body on defence. Shenn has been shit on in Toronto but could really be a good fit here.
Ballard/Raymond?
Actually Ballard would be a very good mentor for Shenn, he has been the best of all our D with Tanev and a young big physical kid like Shenn would be a good pairing. Toronto completely mismanaged him. Ballard and Shenn would be a lot more nasty to play against than Tanev. Tanev would be more suited with Edler if he keeps progressing.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..yeah, Schenn works with the right side left side thing with Ballard, certainly gives us some much needed size on the back end and his contract works within the confines of Canuck D man salary structure.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I don't like the idea of getting any overhyped part from the leaves, especially one learning the ropes under the tutelage of Dion.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Zamboni Driver wrote: Also kinda depends if the CBA will change the numbers.
I don't think the owners will get down to the 50/50 that they want, but if it does go down a few points it could mean that the cap will be the same.
That was sort of my point.

The numbers that free agents get are relative to the amount the cap increases.

If the cap is stagnant or only increases slightly the contracts will likely seem quite reasonable and there should be some real bargains available.

If the Cap increase is substantial and GM expect the future increases to also be substantial you will see some crazy numbers.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

It is highly unlikely that we will land Suter, although I am sure GMMG will give it a shot.

I honestly have no idea what Gillis is trying to build on the back end. It is obvious that we (like most other teams) need a stud on defense, but these are extremely hard to acquire.

Hamhuis and Bieksa will be back, but Edler had a disappointing season and I could see a situation where he is traded. We thought we had a developing stud in Edler, but this year seemed to be a step back or at best a plateau. Will Salo and Ballard be back? What are the plans for Gragnani?

If nothing else, we need some size and a mofo in the top 4. Bieksa and Hamhuis are fine defensemen, but they are not big guys. None of the upcoming UFA defensemen are really all that big. Suter, Wideman and Jackman are all middleweights.

As far as acquiring some forward help goes, what about Patrick Marleau, who is rumoured to be on the block? He has a big cap number at $6.9M, but only for two more years. He's a proven point producer, who could look real nice next to Kesler on the second line. A change of scenery could do wonders for Marleau, and he could do well in a secondary role as he enters his mid 30's.
old calamari
CC Veteran

Post by old calamari »

Topper wrote:I don't like the idea of getting any overhyped part from the leaves, especially one learning the ropes under the tutelage of Dion.
You actually think the Phanuef knows what tutelage means? I think if Shenn got out of that blue hole he would be a great prospect in a good room and structure that the Canucks have.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I would have to say that the probability of getting Suter is very very small.

Detroit has a desperate need for a guy to replace Rafalski (and possibly Lidstrom) and will be gunning very hard to get him. Detroit has a lot more cap space to play around with than us.

In addition, the Preds are looking like world beaters right now. Suter and Weber are their Keith and Seabrook. With them advancing to the 2nd round, I really can't see the Preds organization not doing everything possible to retain them.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I believe 95% of the posters here don't know what tutelage means.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Topper wrote:I believe 95% of the posters here don't know what tutelage means.
..that's when you fart alot as you get older right?
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

old calamari wrote:You actually think the Phanuef knows what tutelage means?
He giggles every time he hears that word thinking that it's a fart reference.

For similar reasons the guy has actually never tried poutine before.
2011..... the one that got away.
old calamari
CC Veteran

Post by old calamari »

On a side note i am starting tomorrows beer tutelage right now.