Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Post by Jovocop »

Topper wrote:
donlever wrote:The Salo situation bears thought.

To me he really sagged in the latter part of the season and started to look slow and somewhat feeble. He continued to play his angles nicely as he always has but he is noticeably a half step slower getting there and the extra workload required to ensure his half of the rink was tidy sucked the life out of the rest of his game.

Hence his offense dried up.

As a side note to this it is a bit distressing to note that as Samis game deteriorated so did Edlers.

A bit frightening that.
Yup. Salo was a bit of a boat anchor the last while and I have been wondering how much of Edler's weakness could be attributed to doubts/lack of confidence in his partners play.
Edler just does not have the killer instinct. On the tying goal, he was standing fishing for the puck instead of hitting (crosschecking) the guy. If you replaced him with Ohlund, I am pretty sure that he would knock the guy down.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Edler's just a different player than Ohlund turned out to be - he's got offensive upside that Mattias lost with his 20/20 vision, but he will probably never be as mean or as gritty.

I think Edler was a spectacular defensive player compared to the expectations for him when he broke into the league, and he is a somewhat sub-par defensive player compared to the expectations some have for him now.

Bottom line is that while he should be steady in his own zone (and hasn't been steady enough recently) he is going to make his name in this league based mostly on his offensive ability.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:Edler's just a different player than Ohlund turned out to be - he's got offensive upside that Mattias lost with his 20/20 vision, but he will probably never be as mean or as gritty.

I think Edler was a spectacular defensive player compared to the expectations for him when he broke into the league, and he is a somewhat sub-par defensive player compared to the expectations some have for him now.

Bottom line is that while he should be steady in his own zone (and hasn't been steady enough recently) he is going to make his name in this league based mostly on his offensive ability.
Edler is very inconsistent, pretty much like Bieksa. Like many posters said, the Canucks need a No.1 defenseman, which I highly doubt Edler would be the guy. If we could get the No. 1 dman without giving up Edler, it would be great. However, if Edler is a part of the package to get the No. 1 dman, I am all for it.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I’d assume there will be some player movement. Two many goalies in the kitchen ect ect. I’ve always said (well not really...) if ya gotta go out, go out in the 1st round in 5 games! The team is relatively healthy. A long offseason to clear the head, rest and train will do our team wonders.

We have one of the best teams in the NHL. A long off season to recharge and some help in specific areas is what the doctor has ordered.

We’ll be back at the top next year and ready to make another long run!

How will going out in the 1st round affect our pick? Are we boned no matter what (having won the pres)?
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ODB wrote:How will going out in the 1st round affect our pick? Are we boned no matter what (having won the pres)?
SCF Final teams pick 29-30, conference final losers pick 27-28, after that I believe the other playoff teams are ranked by regular season points totals so we pick 26th.
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Good points about Burrows and Lapierre.

Would hate hate hate to see Burrows go, but if he can (or as part of a package) return something this team needs, then it should be a hockey decision. Lapierre, I'm a huge fan of. Perhaps he can be a Burrows replacement on the Sedin line, like when Burrows first jumped from the 3rd line to be a regular with the Twins and develop his offensive (point production, that is) game.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

donlever wrote: As a side note to this it is a bit distressing to note that as Samis game deteriorated so did Edlers.

A bit frightening that.
It really was distressing.

I think if Salo comes back, it'll be in a 3rd pairing, extra d-man role. We can no longer have him playing 19-22 minutes a night on the 2nd pair.

A lot is being made about shaking up the forwards, and potentially moving Burrows as Topper suggested has also crossed my mind, but the area that needs a facelift is the defence, namely the 2nd pairing.

It's difficult to make any predictions or suggestions as to who the Canucks would target at this point, but I'd think the number 1 priority for Gillis will be to solidify the right side in the top 4.

Number two on my list is a 2-way 3rd line centre. I was happy with Pahlsson's play for the most part, but he's better suited for the 4th line on this team.

Then obviously something needs to be done with the top 6, whether that's upgrading a player like Burrows, or adding a top 6 RW.

Oh, and to add, I WANT to keep both goalies.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

wafflecombine wrote: A monster sniper (for the Sedins) or a wicked passer (for Kesler)
I've said for years that this team needs a sniper. Someone who can score without the need for 3 pretty passes and an open net. I thought that Samuelson might be that guy, but he fizzled out. Cody showed some promise...

But we don't need a sniper for the first line. We just need the Burrows type there. We need one on the second line, though.

The other thing we need is a league that we can take seriously.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

donlever wrote:
As a side note to this it is a bit distressing to note that as Samis game deteriorated so did Edlers.

A bit frightening that.
Edler seems to be one of those guys who can have his confidence rattled rather easily, with a quality partner he seems able to stay on the rails more often then not.

His game really fell apart when he was partnered with Bieksa down the stretch this season.

He has had good runs with both Salo and Ehrhoff, in fact last year prior to his injury back injury he probably had the best stretch of his career while partnered up with Ehrhoff, so it isn't really about Sami, but just someone he trusts defensively.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Potatoe1 wrote: He has had good runs with both Salo and Ehrhoff, in fact last year prior to his injury back injury he probably had the best stretch of his career while partnered up with Ehrhoff, so it isn't really about Sami, but just someone he trusts defensively.
The question is whether they can find a solid top 4, veteran d-man who can play on Edler's right side, or if they'll groom Tanev for that position.

The free agent pool, outside of Suter, is incredibly bare, so if Gillis is looking to add a right-side partner for Tanev, it'll have to come through trade.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Sub: Edler

I like Edler alot, but I admit that he struggled mightly in the playoffs and for a large part of the reg season. He was given the ball to become the top dog on our backend this year, but really struggled in the limelight. He has all the tools to become a #1 Norris type D-man (size, shot, decent skill), but I think the problem with him is that he's a passive/softie/quiet type guy by nature. That's not a bad thing, but not the qualities u want in a guy to lead our D core, he's more of a supporting cast player. Although I wasn't the biggest Ehrhoff fan, I think Eddie really missed him cuz Ehrhoff could play the first unit PP and take a lot of pressure off Eddie. It was too much for Eddie to play offence, defence and be physcial.

I think the Canucks need a true #1 D-man to take the load off Eddie and let Eddie take on a role of a #2-#3 guy. A Shea Weber type would be great, but those type of guys are almost impossible to get. As much as I luv Salo, I think it might be best to let him walk. If you're not going to use him on the PP with his cannon, what's the point in having him around? Salo used to be very steady defensively, but nowadays, I don't know. U can see his game deteriorating and he just seems to be on the ice a lot when the other team is hovering around with high scoring chances.
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Cornuck wrote:
wafflecombine wrote: A monster sniper (for the Sedins) or a wicked passer (for Kesler)
I've said for years that this team needs a sniper. Someone who can score without the need for 3 pretty passes and an open net. I thought that Samuelson might be that guy, but he fizzled out. Cody showed some promise...

But we don't need a sniper for the first line. We just need the Burrows type there. We need one on the second line, though.

The other thing we need is a league that we can take seriously.
I personally would love to pry Jordan Eberle out of the Oiler's for the second line. Not very likely it would happen though.

Been a lot of good thoughts thus far.

Of all the moves that will be made, Lou is the assured in my mind. Forgetting how piss poor the fans would treat him next year, MGAV have already decided and the team quit on him. If for only his own sanity a new venue is in order.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

coco_canuck wrote:The free agent pool, outside of Suter, is incredibly bare, so if Gillis is looking to add a right-side partner for Tanev, it'll have to come through trade.
Assuming you mean a partner for Edler, there's a lot of noise being made about Justin Schultz who is a right-shooting BC native and a likely free agent coming out of the NCAA.

That being said a green offensive defenseman (for all the talk about his readiness) is hardly the player most of us have in mind to let Alex go out and just be Alex.

Then there is the fact that Schultz will have 30 teams interested and may not even give up his NCAA eligibility until he is sure he'll be able to play this season (ie. it would be a kick in the teeth to sign a deal and walk away from your team only to be locked out of the new league).

Still if this player is available and willing to sign with the Canucks I think you have to grab him and let the other chips fall where they may. If push comes to shove play Tanev with Edler and play Schultz with a veteran on the left side.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

dbr wrote: Still if this player is available and willing to sign with the Canucks I think you have to grab him and let the other chips fall where they may. If push comes to shove play Tanev with Edler and play Schultz with a veteran on the left side.
I'd love if they could add Schultz, and if they don't add a veteran D-man, then they can sell Schultz on a regular spot in the line-up, either on the 2nd or 3rd pair.

The thing with Schultz is, he's still going to be a rookie, and the higher level of reliable play as a top 4 might still be a year or two away.

But, that would be fine if Tanev could easily play with Edler.

There are options, but they youngster route will come with a learning curve, and what that may means for the Canucks ultimate success in 2012-2013 is unknown.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Canucks need Rick Nash.

Do whatever it takes to get him, as long as we keep the twins and Kesler.

Nash and Kesler anchor one line, the twins and whoever anchor the other line.

/end discussion.