Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Post by donlever »

Jovocop wrote: If the Canucks are serious about winning the Cup, they might be better off going with four "physical" shutdown lines and three "physical" shutdown defensive pairings instead. :hmmm:
..which leads us back to the Weber question.

If Suter, as rumoured (by mongers), wants out and is headed to Detroit does Shea see the writing on the wall in Nashville and also want to move?

If so does the scuttlebutt making the rounds in the past about a desire to play at home and with his buddy Hammer rear it's head again?

Does Nashville ownership look at their efforts to play a more up tempo, offensive, skill game only to lose out in 5 instead of 6 (to a trap club) round two this year say, fuck it, we can compete at the same level playing shut down hockey and put out less salary by doing so. We already have Rinne at 7 plus do we need another player at that salary level?

Does Edler plus then start the conversation?

I can see the Keith Ballard that played for us the latter half of the season (pre concussion) and in the post season combined with Weber being a pretty decent pairing.

Hammer Juice

Weber Ballard

Salo
DeLevering since 1999.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

donlever wrote:
Jovocop wrote: If the Canucks are serious about winning the Cup, they might be better off going with four "physical" shutdown lines and three "physical" shutdown defensive pairings instead. :hmmm:
..which leads us back to the Weber question.

If Suter, as rumoured (by mongers), wants out and is headed to Detroit does Shea see the writing on the wall in Nashville and also want to move?

If so does the scuttlebutt making the rounds in the past about a desire to play at home and with his buddy Hammer rear it's head again?

Does Nashville ownership look at their efforts to play a more up tempo, offensive, skill game only to lose out in 5 instead of 6 (to a trap club) round two this year say, fuck it, we can compete at the same level playing shut down hockey and put out less salary by doing so. We already have Rinne at 7 plus do we need another player at that salary level?

Does Edler plus then start the conversation?

I can see the Keith Ballard that played for us the latter half of the season (pre concussion) and in the post season combined with Weber being a pretty decent pairing.

Hammer Juice

Weber Ballard

Salo
The Canucks need to take a serious look at their defense. They really need to get bigger and meaner, not just faster and smaller. Besides Edler, none of their defensemen are considered above average in terms of size. I would not mind MG trading Edler + Tanev for a guy like Weber, which is exactly what the Canucks need. Trading Ballard and signing Jackman and someone like Commodore via UFA could significantly improve the overall size and strength.

Weber Jackman
Bieksa Hamhuis
Commodore Sauve/Polask/Tanev

If trading for Weber is impossible, a tough defenseman like Jackman might be able to help Edler.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

So, it definitely seems that the well has almost run dry for our C depth :( Like many here, I assume that Luongo will be traded to either Toronto or TB. Looking over their rosters, I don't see lots of choices. The only ones that are at all promising are Kadri from TO or Connelly from TB. Both centers; both young; both unproven, though Kadri (21) has more NHL games. What are the opinions on these guys? Actually, looking at Kadri's stats for this past season (NHL), he was +7 (compared to Bozak who was a big -). That was a pleasant surprise, though I'd like to see some more advanced numbers on him before being sure.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Orcasfan wrote:So, it definitely seems that the well has almost run dry for our C depth :( Like many here, I assume that Luongo will be traded to either Toronto or TB. Looking over their rosters, I don't see lots of choices. The only ones that are at all promising are Kadri from TO or Connelly from TB. Both centers; both young; both unproven, though Kadri (21) has more NHL games. What are the opinions on these guys? Actually, looking at Kadri's stats for this past season (NHL), he was +7 (compared to Bozak who was a big -). That was a pleasant surprise, though I'd like to see some more advanced numbers on him before being sure.
Connelly is a right winger, not a center.

Would Gaustad or Kelly be a sufficient replacement until Kesler returns?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jovocop wrote:
Orcasfan wrote:So, it definitely seems that the well has almost run dry for our C depth :( Like many here, I assume that Luongo will be traded to either Toronto or TB. Looking over their rosters, I don't see lots of choices. The only ones that are at all promising are Kadri from TO or Connelly from TB. Both centers; both young; both unproven, though Kadri (21) has more NHL games. What are the opinions on these guys? Actually, looking at Kadri's stats for this past season (NHL), he was +7 (compared to Bozak who was a big -). That was a pleasant surprise, though I'd like to see some more advanced numbers on him before being sure.

Kelly would be ideal, he'll command at least a 4 or 5 year contract for at least $3M+ per though, which I'd be ok with as he'll be a big upgrade over Manny at least offensively, and he'll basically be taking Manny's contract(plus a bit more) after next season, and can play some 2nd line duties if needed during October.

It's either that or we trade Ballard for a 3rd line centerman, I've said this before but Minny with a couple of UFA dmen probably leaving, they got some holes to fill. Matt Cullen would be a solid 3rd line center, who also can play 2nd line when needed as well.

As for TB/TO ideals, could go all out and get Lecavalier, where Kesler can then play full time with the twins.

or try to solidify all areas with a blockbuster trade with TO

Lu/Ray/Weise for Schenn/MacArthur (top 4 dman who could be the beast dman we need, and a more industrious scoring lw, who also helps gives us a much needed change of scenery/look for our top 6)
Bally for Cullen (third line center)
Sign B. Allen. (big tough defensive dman)

SEDINS BUR
MacARTHUR KES BOOTH
HIGGINS CULLEN HANSEN
MANNY LAPPY BITZ/KASS

EDLER SCHENN
HAMMY BIEKSA
ALLEN TANEV
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

Kelly would be ideal, he'll command at least a 4 or 5 year contract for at least $3M+ per though, which I'd be ok with as he'll be a big upgrade over Manny at least offensively, and he'll basically be taking Manny's contract(plus a bit more) after next season, and can play some 2nd line duties if needed during October.

It's either that or we trade Ballard for a 3rd line centerman, I've said this before but Minny with a couple of UFA dmen probably leaving, they got some holes to fill. Matt Cullen would be a solid 3rd line center, who also can play 2nd line when needed as well.

As for TB/TO ideals, could go all out and get Lecavalier, where Kesler can then play full time with the twins.

or try to solidify all areas with a blockbuster trade with TO

Lu/Ray/Weise for Schenn/MacArthur (top 4 dman who could be the beast dman we need, and a more industrious scoring lw, who also helps gives us a much needed change of scenery/look for our top 6)
Bally for Cullen (third line center)
Sign B. Allen. (big tough defensive dman)

SEDINS BUR
MacARTHUR KES BOOTH
HIGGINS CULLEN HANSEN
MANNY LAPPY BITZ/KASS

EDLER SCHENN
HAMMY BIEKSA
ALLEN TANEV
Schenn is good but a little bit too unproven for top-pairing. A guy like Jackman is not an offensive threat but a very physical stay-at-home defenseman. If the Canucks fail to trade for a true #1 defenseman, they need to find a stable partner for Edler. Jackman, a BC boy, might be someone that can help Edler.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Jovocop wrote: Schenn is good but a little bit too unproven for top-pairing. A guy like Jackman is not an offensive threat but a very physical stay-at-home defenseman. If the Canucks fail to trade for a true #1 defenseman, they need to find a stable partner for Edler. Jackman, a BC boy, might be someone that can help Edler.
Jackman is a guy I would look at.

The book is out on how to play the Canucks "D", we're mobile, but if you get the pucks in behind us, and get us along the wall, we have trouble moving the puck out. It goes without saying we need more support from our forwards (that's you Hank), but we need more size on the back-end.

So we're back to the same scenario as last season, a hole at 2nd line C. Is Schroeder ready to start there? Here's hoping, as I can't see the Canucks shelling out big bucks for that role in FA.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Kadri - NO!
Connolly - A BIG ASS NO! He is the American version of Salo, plus, who says he's young???

Kadri will never amount to a hill of beans. Trust me
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:
Schenn is good
No he's not.

The defenseman you want is Gardiner, not Schenn.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:With Kesler once again recovering from off season surgery we know we will be in a hurting way to start the season down the middle. Funny, this time last year we were debating that we didn't have to try and trade for Turris because we were so deep at centre. Not anymore.

I am fine with a recovered Manny on the third line. I think if he has a full off season to train he will return to that Manny that we loved to watch hold down the third line and play a huge role in shutting down other teams. But it is certainly a question mark at this point. And the FA list is pretty scary.
Stick a fork in him, Hockey Widow, your man Manny is finished.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ESQ wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far way...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I just love the man crush going on around here with Manny Malhotra. What is it? Is it because he is married to Steve Nash's sister, really WTF is it? I would even go as far as saying that Ryan Johnson would be a better option than Malhotra.

But hey, keep on giving Manny that massive rope cause of his eye injury.
Not entirely sure you actually read my post, if you did you'd see that I was merely pointing to these things called "facts" that show Manny was not "no offense". To take it further, in a fourth-line, PK role with no PP time and no offensive zone starts, Manny put up 18 points, good for 109th in the NHL.

If there are 4 centres x 30 teams + 120 centres, that puts Manny right in the middle of the road for 4th line centres. Last year he was among the most offensive 3rd line centres when he was put in that role. So to label Manny as "No Offense" is inaccurate. What exactly did you hope to see offensively from your fourth line centre this year?

I'm not saying I agree in any way with this ridiculous method of assessing players based only on their offense, but even on that manufactured system you're wrong about Manny.
Do you have a poster of Malhotra on the back of your door, ESQ?

This love for Malhotra around here is mind boggling. I feel like I just took a full sheet of Blue Mandela or something, red blotter.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
Kadri - NO!
Connolly - A BIG ASS NO! He is the American version of Salo, plus, who says he's young???

Kadri will never amount to a hill of beans. Trust me
He's talking about Brett Connolly (recently turned 20, quite young, Canadian) in Tampa, not Tim in Toronto. None of TO's forwards really appeal to me, and I'm not sure that Yzerman will part with Connolly as part of a Lou trade. I see him giving up the 10th overall, but not Connolly.

Teddy Purcell should be a target for us. Connolly is cheaper, and both are RW, so move Purcell, bring along Connolly and have Luongo. Seems to work if your TB...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote: Oh no doubt he has worked hard on his 2-way game or else he wouldn't have played much for MacT. He can work as hard as he likes but that's like me working hard on my Arabic for a season - at the end of the day I don't think the UN is going to send me in as a terp in Syria no matter how hard I worked.
Nope, this is not that. :mex:

I keep hearing he has become a solid two-way centre (in the AHL of course).
Lancer wrote: Schroeder may have made some strides but he couldn't possibly be up to snuff with either Higgins or Hansen.
WDFAY (who da fock are you)?

Carnac the Magnificent?? :lol:
Lancer wrote: If the team was a couple years from contending, okay let him cut his teeth in the bigs on the 3rd line.
You know, chances are this kid is going to find himself in a Canuck jersey someday.

So I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive him for however he's wronged you. :thumbs:
Lancer wrote: How comfy would you be going in with the smurf as your 3rd liner in next year's playoffs? You can imagine how comfy AV would be.
Well like I said, if he isn't ready someone else would have to be brought in.
Lancer wrote: Oh, I didn't miss the part about adding Nash and Weber (only one of whom plays as physical as this team would need him to be), but what you add with those guys you take away by deploying the smurf out there.
Both Nash and Weber are very physical players.

I also had Bitz and Kassian in that lineup.

Schroeder is a pretty tough little smurf.

Do we have a problem Lancer? :twisted:

Of course with today's news on Kesler, I just might hafta revise those lines....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote: Getting wheelchaired?? Do you know that Raymond just got a baby boy in April? Do the math. He was actually making the baby in July/August... That must be part of the rehab, eh?
I heard they named the lad "Alain". :look:

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Hammer Juice

Weber Ballard

Salo
Great minds think alike!

(and so do yours and mine)

(switch Weber/Ballard)

(I've got a hunch Grags is gonna pan out eventually)

(how's it hangin Donny)
____
Try to focus on someday.