Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Post by Aaronp18 »

Diehard1 wrote: Looks like the Nucks will have more than enough cash to get the top 6 wing, 3rd line center and top 4 D that they need. Now they just need to use assets and/or sign FA's.
The problem is going to be the availability of these players.

With the cap going up so much there's a lot of teams with even more cap space than us.

The price tag for the players we want is going to go up substantially.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Cap is going to $70.3 million, unless the NHLPA uses the accelerator clause which means it will go to $73.8 million.
:shock:

Schneider for Nash. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: Looks like the Nucks will have more than enough cash to get the top 6 wing, 3rd line center and top 4 D that they need. Now they just need to use assets and/or sign FA's.
The problem is going to be the availability of these players.

With the cap going up so much there's a lot of teams with even more cap space than us.

The price tag for the players we want is going to go up substantially.
Totally agree... of course we like to see the cap go up A LITTLE but... the ceiling isn't all that going up. The floor is also climbing and we'll be competing with teams that are spending like drunkin sailors just to get to the floor.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

ODB wrote: Totally agree... of course we like to see the cap go up A LITTLE but... the ceiling isn't all that going up. The floor is also climbing and we'll be competing with teams that are spending like drunkin sailors just to get to the floor.

Worked pretty well for a Dineen coached team this year. They handed out 4 yr contracts like it was candy.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

dbr wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Looks like the Nucks will have more than enough cash to get the top 6 wing, 3rd line center and top 4 D that they need. Now they just need to use assets and/or sign FA's.
Unfortunately, so do about ten other teams.
To a certain point I agree - but how many teams will be able to spend to the cap? Toronto, Vancouver, the Rangers, Philly, maybe Boston - my point is there aren't nearly as many teams that will go over $70 million.

Add in the fact that most free agents want a winning team, a good organization that treats players right and a nice, liveable city and you don't have that many teams left.

The Nucks don't have that many holes to fill. They need a top 4 dman, a top 6 forward and a 3rd line center. Those aren't huge money additions and there will be at least $10 million to spend to fill these.

The cap going up will help a team like the Nucks more than most. They need to move a contract or two which aren't that tough to move with a larger cap, and they've got a very desirable team. It's a very good thing for the Canucks - though who knows what things will look like after the new CBA takes effect.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Diehard1 wrote:To a certain point I agree - but how many teams will be able to spend to the cap? Toronto, Vancouver, the Rangers, Philly, maybe Boston - my point is there aren't nearly as many teams that will go over $70 million.
Lots of teams are able to do it - add Montreal, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, then there are Calgary and Los Angeles and Washington who all spent within $2m of the cap this season.. that's still omitting San Jose, St. Louis and Dallas both have new ownership, Nashville have opened up the vault over the last year or so, Tampa is a small market but have shown a willingness to spend money (their owner is spending tens of millions out of his own pocket to upgrade the arena this offseason)...
Add in the fact that most free agents want a winning team, a good organization that treats players right and a nice, liveable city and you don't have that many teams left.
I don't think any free agent wants to sign with a losing team but they certainly seem to be willing to chance it for an extra million per or an extra year or two on the contract.

Look at Christian Ehrhoff, for that matter look at what lesser teams were willing to offer guys like Tomas Fleischmann, Ed Jovanovski, Ville Leino, etc.
The Nucks don't have that many holes to fill. They need a top 4 dman, a top 6 forward and a 3rd line center. Those aren't huge money additions and there will be at least $10 million to spend to fill these.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they have to rebuild the team in free agency and won't be able to do it - but even those three relatively small holes are the kinds of holes every team is looking to fill at the trade deadline, in free agency - there are a handful of teams who are happy with their top six forwards and their third best center and their top four defensemen, and I don't know if there's one team happy with all three.

And there aren't really that many of these guys going around.

There are 19 defensemen who played 19 minutes or more and seven or eight of them are pretty much done or at the very least not worth the risk of a multi-year deal. Further complicating matters is the fact that the Canucks need a guy who can play the right side, so of those guys and then the guy you'd make room for no matter what (Suter) we're talking about maybe five or six guys?

Looking for a scoring winger is tough as well; there are eighteen wingers who averaged 15 minutes or more last year and two (Doan and Selanne) aren't going anywhere, six of them are ancient (Samuelsson, Sykora, Sullivan, Whitney, Smyth, Jagr), a few more after that have zero offensive ability (Moen and Winnik) and can't play a top six role and then there are a few flakes sprinkled in as well (Huselius, Semin, Kostitsyn, etc). So again we're talking about less than ten proven guys who are likely to last the season.

Center is even worse, there are twelve guys on the market that aren't pretty much guaranteed fourth liners, and of them there are seven guys who kill penalties and are not related to Steve Moore.

In my opinion there are about 30-35 guys who are worth more than, say, $2m a year for multiple years in free agency. It would be a major coup for the Canucks to get three of the best of them without drastically overpaying, and if 2010 is any indication (when Mike Gillis traded for Keith Ballard rather than hoping to sign two key players on July 1st) I don't think Gillis will leave things to chance.

My hope is that the team (correctly) believes it has the personnel to address one of these needs without making a move, addresses another in the inevitable goalie trade and addresses the final one through free agency.

So for example getting a winger back in a goalie trade, signing a guy like Jason Garrison and going into next year with a rehabilitated Manny, Lapierre and Schroeder competing for two spots.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Sonny ‏@sonny1981
Hearing from trusted source that Columbus is ante-ing for Schneider, offering 2nd overall for Cory+. Also heard leaves offered Schenn+ 4 Cory

Hmmm anyone that would do Schneider+ for the 2nd overall would do Schneider+ for Nash amirite?

Schneider + Schroeder + Schtanev.... for.... Schnash. :thumbs:

Sign Schultz.

Win Cup.
____
Try to focus on someday.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Both teams would have to add alot more than that for Schneider in my opinion....
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: With the cap going up so much there's a lot of teams with even more cap space than us.
No one knows whether the cap will go up or down at this point. The new CBA negotiations will determine that. But we know for sure that the NHL wants to lower the players % share and also there will likely be a LOT of pressure from weaker teams to have the floor lowered. I don't know how anyone can do business July 1 when no one knows where the cap will be. Will be a very interesting off season.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The same way they did business last time....under the assumption the players will take the scaled roll back, grandfathering and one time amnesty on buyouts. Shutting down business even before a lockout starts doesn't make sense especially running into a time of year that causes excitement. So, everyone involved will accommodate the cost of doing business July 1 in the new CBA.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

TDA Rum wrote:Both teams would have to add alot more than that for Schneider in my opinion....
??

Schneider + Booth + Tanev.... for.... Nash

Sign Schultz.

Win Cup. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Strangelove wrote:Sonny ‏@sonny1981
Hearing from trusted source that Columbus is ante-ing for Schneider, offering 2nd overall for Cory+. Also heard leaves offered Schenn+ 4 Cory

Hmmm anyone that would do Schneider+ for the 2nd overall would do Schneider+ for Nash amirite?

Schneider + Schroeder + Schtanev.... for.... Schnash. :thumbs:

Sign Schultz.

Win Cup.
I guess the next logical question is "who the hell is Sonny1981"? haha... Samjam's 3rd cousin? :wow:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

$lacker wrote:I guess the next logical question is "who the hell is Sonny1981"? haha... Samjam's 3rd cousin? :wow:
LOL i actually have no idea, i saw the tweet and just ran with it.

Did I mention I want Gillis to trade for Nash? :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I like the sign Schultz idea, but for me Schneider is worth Nash plus all by himself... Like i have said before Nash has only had 1 season over 70 points, he isn't worth 7.8 million....
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote:
$lacker wrote:I guess the next logical question is "who the hell is Sonny1981"? haha... Samjam's 3rd cousin? :wow:
LOL i actually have no idea, i saw the tweet and just ran with it.

Did I mention I want Gillis to trade for Nash? :D
I would do it for the 2nd overall pick. We still have Luongo, so that's not a big drop off (if any) in talent for the next season or three. IMO, any and all speculation about the team playing better in front of Cory goes out the window when one goalie leaves. The team has no option but to support the starter.

Grigorenko would be a great addition to our top-6. The Russian factor is obviously there, but premiere players like Ovechkin, Malkin, and Kovalchuk haven't bolted to Russia. I think you'd have a guy that could play C and RW and could do so immidately in our top six with Kesler being out and Raymond being trade/UFA bait. He's 6'3, 200 and could probably get Kesler back to 40-goal status and be the playmaker on the second line. There's always Ryan Murray if we go for the d-side...

I don't want any part of Nash's contract, and we couldn't afford him if we don't move Lou.

That said, I don't really buy the rumour. If Columbus offers us 2nd Overall, Gillis should've signed off on it weeks ago.