Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Post by wafflecombine »

Hi gang, I know the wounds are still fresh but you know you want to analyse the lineup to death and start talking about what moving pieces we need for next year so I guess I'll start it off.

For me, it depends on whether AV stays or goes. With AV we will get "tinkering" with a new coach we'll get more fundamental change.

My list of players "potentially in a trade situation"
Goalie
Roberto Louongo
- Even with the NTC/NMC I think he'll request trade. He won't want to stay and can't stay. If Schneider leaves fans will hate Lou and make his life hell here. Total Cap space - 5.3M

Forwards
Mason Raymond - Self explanatory. Total Cap space - 2.55M
Manny Malholtra - Blows that Manny got hurt and he was amazing on face-offs but... Total Cap Space 2.5 M
Jannik Hansen (maybe) - good skater, good defensively, hands of pure stone - 1.3M
Aaron Volpatii - not big enough to fill Rick Rypien's shoes - 0.61M
Dale Wiese - moving part, dealt in package. - 0.6M

Defense
Keith Ballard (Maybe) - Ballard is too expensive for a 5-6 pairing if he moves to 3-4 then we can keep however.... 4.2M
Alex Edler (Maybe) - Great regular season but terrible play-offs. Total Cap Space - 3.2M
Sami Salo (retire) - Sami is fantastic, but it may be time for Sami to start coaching...hmmmmmmm . Total Cap Space 2M
Andrew Alberts - We have cheaper options in the 5-8 slots. Total Cap space - 1.25m
Marc Andre Gragnani - His defensive play scares me but we will see if he impoves - 0.5M

I know my list is fairly extensive and it should be noted that some of the pieces are conditional. Ex. Ballard/Edler: we will likely only keep 1 because of the costs associated. Alberts & MAG might get packaged

Needs (IMHO)
A Top 4 right side D - Possibly also a left if both Ballard and Edler go (low probability IMO cause we will keep 1 of the two)
A monster sniper (for the Sedins) or a wicked passer (for Kessler)
An enforcer who isn't a cement head.
Moving parts for the 4th line.
dbr
CC Legend

Re: Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Post by dbr »

Seems more like "needs and do-not-wants".. :P

But I do think the Canucks need to look at which players did not contribute enough these last few weeks, which can be expected to improve (and honestly Mason Raymond might be among them - just like Ryan Kesler he has had no opportunity to build strength coming into this season and at his size losing strength is a huge disadvantage) and then how to get rid of the others.

In terms on needs I think the Canucks should look to add another player who can contribute on a legitimate scoring line and I would like to see a substantial upgrade on defence although I'm not sure that's in the cards.

As far as I'm concerned I don't see any core players moving (maybe a Keith Ballard) and we'll just have to see what Gillis gets for one of his goaltenders and what's left to be addressed from there.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Weise is still just 23. i'm not sure he goes anywhere else just yet.
2011..... the one that got away.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Great observations. I should stress that my list is people who I think don't have guaranteed seats on the bus.

Realistically, the only ones I see has high probability moves are
Lou - we've talked this one to death. Team/Management/fans have annointed Schneider
Raymond - talked to death
Ballard - really only cause of his expense vs. his position on the depth chart.

The rest are maybes depending on the deal at hand. The big one is Lou. I don't know how we move him without taking a crap contract in return and despite the pissing and moaning we hear about how bad Lou's contract is... there are WAY worse ones out there that we could get stuck with.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Burrows moved. Last year of a lowball contract, due for a hefty raise, numbers put up with the twins could bring healthy return.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Topper wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see Burrows moved. Last year of a lowball contract, due for a hefty raise, numbers put up with the twins could bring healthy return.
...this.

Kudos for bringing it up and having the cajones to do so.

Perhaps makes sense as to why Burr was not with Hank and Dank the last couple of games.
DeLevering since 1999.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

So much of the season dynamic pivots on the goalie situation. If you presume CS is now the #1, as I do, then moving RL is both necessary and an opportunity for an upgrade, a freebee for Gillis in some ways since he won't need Luongo anyway. I'd like him to focus on the backend, both to shore it up defensively and because so much offense for the Canucks comes from pick movement out of their zone...Weber is a pipe dream I realize, but a top stud D would be on my top list for an RL trade. Luongo is the big chip in the game for Gillis. How he plays it will be the key to the whole summer.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Topper wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see Burrows moved. Last year of a lowball contract, due for a hefty raise, numbers put up with the twins could bring healthy return.
I agree, his trade value is probably as high as it's ever going to be at this point.

I'd be sad to see him go but Subban coming back the other way would help speed up the grieving period. 8-)
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Staying:
H. Sedin - I hope the leadership and effort during the series puts things to rest about his ability to compete in those types of games.

D. Sedin

Burrows - last year of deal next season but I can't help but wonder if his trade value is minimal. That the GMs around the league look at him as a product of the twins and without the twins he's a third liner making reasonable money. A lot depends on the extension talks.

Kesler

Higgins - Mr. Effort

Hansen - sure he has stone hands...for the top 6. Hands are fine for his third line/PK role.

Malhotra - unless he retires which I doubt

LaPierre - can float in the lineup but provide a steady presence on the 4th line

Booth - yes he'll stay. 23 goal pace as a canuck. Has things to work on but I don't see how you move a guy that is likely to be in the 25-30 goal range.

Kassian - despite what RD has to say I think a solid summer of conditioning brings a 20 goal scorer to the team next season

Edler

Hamhuis

Likely staying:
Bieksa - I say likely staying because on some level I can see him being trade bait to improve the blue line. That said he's a dressing room guy and isn't easy to move. His game is inconsistent and is hard to partner up. You can't move him unless there is an improvement locked up.

Weise - still young and can play the 12/13 forward role he's being paid to play

Salo - he still has some gas left in the tank and as a #6/7 he'd be perfect IMO. Much better than Rome or Alberts

Full time promotions:
Tanev
Schroeder
possibly Lack

Trade bait:
Raymond - I don't think they'll walk away from him and not qualify but I do think they will work hard to move him at the draft. It would likely be as a throw in or the return would be a struggling player that fits a different need

Luongo/Schneider - I have no idea which one will be moved at the draft but one of them will be moved. It will depend on what Luongo wants. While Gillis will not ask Luongo to waive the NTC he will undoubtedly ask Luongo what his thoughts
are and open the door for Luongo to walk through. I don't think the contract scares many off. The last few years are throwaways and the cap hit is reasonable and will just look better and better over the next few years. The only thing limiting his value is that NTC but if he agrees to go to a few places there will be a sufficient bidding war for his services to generate a handsome return. Schneider will be a huge return if he's moved.

Alberts - traded or waived

Needed acquisitions:
-a playmaking top 6 winger preferably with size. Alternatively a sniper and move Burrows down to play with Kesler fulltime.

-a Malhotra before the eye injury (perhaps that's Malhotra with a full off season to train)

-top 4 right side D-man (sign Schultz?)

With all that said...anybody can be traded if the ultimate result is an improved team.
Last edited by tantalum on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Post by Knucklehead »

wafflecombine wrote: The big one is Lou. I don't know how we move him without taking a crap contract in return and despite the pissing and moaning we hear about how bad Lou's contract is... there are WAY worse ones out there that we could get stuck with.
If we need to take a crap contract back to trade Lou we keep him and trade Schneider in my opinion.

Although I personaly think we can get a good return for Lou.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
I agree, his trade value is probably as high as it's ever going to be at this point.

I'd be sad to see him go but Subban coming back the other way would help speed up the grieving period. 8-)
Would Hedman be a better fit for the Canucks? Luongo (5.33m) + Edler (3.25m) for Malone (4.5m) + Hedman (3.5m). The Canucks can get the much needed size and grit and the Lightning gets their No. 1 goaltender and a replacement for Hedman.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

The Salo situation bears thought.

To me he really sagged in the latter part of the season and started to look slow and somewhat feeble. He continued to play his angles nicely as he always has but he is noticeably a half step slower getting there and the extra workload required to ensure his half of the rink was tidy sucked the life out of the rest of his game.

Hence his offense dried up.

As a side note to this it is a bit distressing to note that as Samis game deteriorated so did Edlers.

A bit frightening that.
DeLevering since 1999.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

donlever wrote:The Salo situation bears thought.

To me he really sagged in the latter part of the season and started to look slow and somewhat feeble.
He went the whole season without getting injured. What more do you want?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

30 million dollars.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:The Salo situation bears thought.

To me he really sagged in the latter part of the season and started to look slow and somewhat feeble. He continued to play his angles nicely as he always has but he is noticeably a half step slower getting there and the extra workload required to ensure his half of the rink was tidy sucked the life out of the rest of his game.

Hence his offense dried up.

As a side note to this it is a bit distressing to note that as Samis game deteriorated so did Edlers.

A bit frightening that.
Yup. Salo was a bit of a boat anchor the last while and I have been wondering how much of Edler's weakness could be attributed to doubts/lack of confidence in his partners play.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.