Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Off-Season Trade Thread - Needs/Wants

Post by herb »

Alex Semin's agent has said that after seven years he will be parting ways with the Caps.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

herb wrote:Alex Semin's agent has said that after seven years he will be parting ways with the Caps.
Geez took that Dale Hunter resignation a bit hard.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Aaronp18 wrote:
herb wrote:Alex Semin's agent has said that after seven years he will be parting ways with the Caps.

...he'll cry about it all the way to the Russian leagues.
DeLevering since 1999.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

donlever wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:

...he'll cry about it all the way to the Russian leagues.
Yeah, whether he stays in North America or goes to Russia, he'll definitely be crying all the way to the bank.

Semin seems like a pretty strange dude who's going to get offered some very lucrative contracts. I imagine most NHL GMs will stay away given his seemingly enigmatic nature and high price tag, but I imagine there are a few desperate teams who will throw in an offer.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Geez took that Dale Hunter resignation a bit hard.[/quote]

...he'll cry about it all the way to the Russian leagues.[/quote]

Yeah, whether he stays in North America or goes to Russia, he'll definitely be crying all the way to the bank.

Semin seems like a pretty strange dude who's going to get offered some very lucrative contracts. I imagine most NHL GMs will stay away given his seemingly enigmatic nature and high price tag, but I imagine there are a few desperate teams who will throw in an offer.[/quote]

Semin makes Alexei Kovalev look like a hard worker. Big,big, big pass from the Canucks please.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Is it time to give Patrik Thoresen a new shot at establishing himself in the NHL? This Norwegian LW/C had great stats in the QMJHL (181 points in 136 games) and AHL (32 points in 34 games), quite decent in the SEL (53 in 83) but never really had a breakthrough in the NHL (24 points in 106 games, Oil/Philly). After giving up on North America he had a pretty good season in Switzerland (63 points in 48 games) before establishing himself as one of the best forwards in the KHL (164 points in 155 games). He has really excelled everywhere, except in the NHL (and not really in the SEL either, where he was good, but in no way excellent).

The scoring leaders list after the roundrobin part of the IIHF World Championships give me pause...

Rk - Player name - Team - GP G A TP
1) Patrick Thoresen, NOR... 7 6 10 16
2) Yevgeny Malkin, RUS...... 7 7 7 14
3) Henrik Zetterberg, SWE. 7 2 11 13
4) Max Pacioretty, USA..... 7 2 10 12
5) Loui Eriksson, SWE....... 7 4 7 11
5) Per-Åge Skröder, NOR.... 7 4 7 11
7) Duncan Keith, CAN....... 7 1 10 11
8) Valtteri Filppula, FIN...... 7 4 5 9
8) John Tavares, CAN........ 7 4 5 9
10) Paul Stastny, USA........ 7 4 5 9

So, Thoresen has basically faced the same opposition as Malkin and Zetterberg, and outscored them both, despite playing with worse team mates. In fact, he has had a tougher schedule, as he has had to play both Sweden and Russia, whereas Malkin and Zetterberg each had one of those exchanged for Norway... :wink:

His three phenomenal seasons in the KHL, combined with his current success at the world championships (who here thought that Norway would reach the quarter finals and be the second best goal scoring team after Canada? Raise your hands! Er... no one? OK, that's what I thought...) make me think maybe it's time this 28 yo Norwegian was thrown a contract offer.

The Canucks already have a handful of Swedes, a Finn and a Dane.
Maybe it's time to complete the Scandinavian collection*!

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=3419

* (no, I don't think there are any NHL quality Icelandic players, despite what you may believe after seeing the old Mighty Ducks movie., which btw was factually wrong in having the Icelandic players have surnames. They don't. They just have a given name and a patronym! :evil: ).
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Not a serious suggestion, but do you think a

To Anaheim: Henrik, Daniel
To Vancouver: Getzlaf, Perry

Would be a good deal? (let's forget about whether it would actually happen or not.........obviously, it won't).

Canucks get younger, bigger, and stronger, while the Ducks get two recent Art Ross trophy winners, and two guys that might be able to maximize Teemu Selanne if he stays on for one more year.

Think both Anaheim and Vancouver would be interested in a deal like this?
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Farhan Lalji wrote: To Anaheim: Henrik, Daniel
I've thought about those two as well..

How about Kesler + Elder + 1st for Getzlaf and Perry

Then Schneider + Booth for Nash

Dank - Hank - Burrows
Perry - Getzlaf - Nash
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

vic wrote:

Dank - Hank - Burrows
Perry - Getzlaf - Nash
Hmm... the only problem is that the already weak defense will get even weaker after trading away Edler for another forward.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Great article about Lawrence Gilman

In four years as General Manager and Team President of the Canucks, Mike Gillis' tenure has been a massive success - that is so long as you don't subscribe to a doltishly narrow view of success. Sure, the Canucks current management team has yet to hoist a Stanley Cup, has a mixed record on the trade market, and has yet to draft a real impact player - but they've overcome these short comings to a large extent, and built their success on the strength of their contract work.

When it comes to the club's handling of player contracts, resident "capologist" Laurence Gilman, who is the management team's "chief negotiator" and is "also responsible for the administration and application of the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement and the development of the club’s strategic salary cap plan," has been the driving force. Hiring Gilman away from Phoenix was one of Gillis' first acts as General Manger (Gilman was hired less than two weeks after Gillis was), and it has worked out to be inarguably one of his shrewdest personnel moves in Vancouver.

With Gilman as his lead negotiator, Mike Gillis has locked up a top-end core on uniformly reasonable deals, including the Sedins (6.1 million each), Ryan Kesler (5 million), Alex Burrows (2 million), Dan Hamhuis (4.5 million), Kevin Bieksa (4.6 million) and Roberto Luongo (5.4 million dollar cap-hit). Obviously the Luongo contract is the albatross outlier here, it's a weighty lifetime deal that the league only barely approved, but the cap-hit is ultimately reasonable for an elite NHL goaltender.

On the open market, they've persuaded the likes of Manny Malhotra and Dan Hamhuis to "play for less" in signing with Vancouver - and most of the guys on the current roster left a significant chunk of cash on the table when they re-upped with the team. Gilman and Gillis have also locked up useful assets like Chris Higgins, Jannik Hansen, Aaron Rome, Maxim Lapierre and Cory Schneider to cheap deals. They've also done consistently well to avoid salary arbitration, with only one player ending up in contract arbitration during the Gillis/Gilman era - and it was unessential waiver wire pick-up Kyle Wellwood.

The team's "bad contracts" (Keith Ballard and David Booth) were acquired on the trade market, not signed in-house, and while those deals are admittedly odious, Gilman's contract work is so good that they're not onerous. The same logic applies to the management team's struggles at the draft table - the Canucks have managed to field competitive, cost effective teams despite the fact that none of the club's major contributors are on entry level deals...

This week, I picked up Bruce Dowbiggin's "Money Players: The Amazing Rise and Fall of Bob Goodenow and the NHL Players Association" (buy it here) from Red Deer Press, and I've found it a fascinating read thus far. One snippet in particular that I felt was worth blogging about, is a passage towards the end of a chapter about hold outs and arbitration, that focuses on Laurence Gilman's negotiating ability (emphasis mine):

""I remember one time," says agent Tom Laidlaw, "I had Dallas Drake as a client in Winnipeg. They'd hired a young guy named Laurence Gilman, who's now in Phoenix doing their contracts. He got on the phone and said, "i'm the new lawyer of the team." I just went, Oh God, this is going to be different. Before I was dealing with hockey guys - no disrespect to anybody when I say this, but I felt I could deal a lot more easily with a hockey guy. Now the emotions are taken out of it in most cases. Basically, it's, 'Here's the numbers, here's the players rights.' Both sides fight hard using the CBA. It's not an easier process, but it's a much more professional one."

Other agents who've dealt with Gilman echo Laidlaw's appraisal. "Laurence won't talk to you till he's ready to," says Mike Gillis "Some guys just answer the phone and let the agents start the process before they're prepared. Laurence only talks when he's ready to talk. You don't end up with a hasty deal that both sides are uncomfortable with.""

Gilman's negotiating skills, which so impressed Mike Gillis five years before he hired him in Vancouver, will likely continue to pay dividends over the course of this summer.

Heading into this offseason, the Canucks have just over nine million dollars in cap-space (before any anticipated Roberto Luongo, and possibly Keith Ballard trades) according to CapGeek, and only one "key" player to re-sign (Cory Schneider). Marc-Andre Gragnani and Dale Weise are RFAs with limited leverage, and will almost certainly be back for cheap; meanwhile: Aaron Rome, Mason Raymond, Sami Salo, Sammy Pahlsson, Aaron Volpatti and Byron Bitz are all readily replaceable, should they decide to test the open market.

Assuming Roberto Luongo is sent East, getting Cory Schneider signed to a long-term deal (that buys out several of his RFA years) is going to be essential for the Canucks this summer. Steve Mason's hilarious 2.9 million dollar deal, combined with the fact that few goaltenders have ever played as well through fifty career starts as Schneider has, should push his value well north of 3 million per season.

While contract negotiations with Cory Schneider could prove to be particularly difficult for the Canucks, the club is on firm footing thanks to the plethora of cost-effective deals on the roster. Gilman and Gillis are well positioned to address the team's primary needs (in particular, a top-4 defenseman) without sacrificing long-term flexibility against the cap. That long-term flexibility is key, because the Canucks have several core players (Edler, Burrows) and a few other useful role players (Higgins, Lapierre, Tanev) on deals that expire after this upcoming season, and all of them will be in line for a healthy raise.
cheers
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Jovocop wrote:
Hmm... the only problem is that the already weak defense will get even weaker after trading away Edler for another forward.
I'd say our offense is weaker than the defense.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

by Per on Wed May 16, 2012 12:19 am

Is it time to give Patrik Thoresen a new shot at establishing himself in the NHL?
Hockey Futures article re Patril Thoresen
HF: That bodes well for the future. To you personally, you’ve had a few really strong years in Russia. Will you be staying there next season?

PT: Yes I will. I have one more year with St. Petersburg, so I will stay there.
cheers
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

vic wrote:

Dank - Hank - Burrows
Perry - Getzlaf - Nash
-Twins for Getzlaf and Perry
-Kesler for Weber
-Schneider and Edler for Nash
-We sign Patrick Marleau

Badda Bing Badda Boom. We have 6 players from the Team Canada 2010 Olympic team.........that won gold in Vancouver!

Nash-Getzlaf-Perry
Higgins-Marleau-Booth
###################
###################

Weber-Hamhuis
###############
###############

Luongo
Lack

In one short summer - we go from (allegedly) being the most hated team in the NHL and Canada, to composing of a team filled with the most Team Canada 2010 Olympic team members. Our 'core' is 2010 Olympic.

Media members in the NHL, Chicago, Boston, Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto lose ammunition to use against Vancouver and go bankrupt. ;)
Last edited by Farhan Lalji on Wed May 16, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

..do you have an app or does this shit come right out of your head?

:?
DeLevering since 1999.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

donlever wrote:..do you have an app or does this shit come right out of your head?

:?
An app?

p.s.___________It comes straight out of my head but I wasn't really being serious.

I made my quota and so I get to entertain people like you with my brilliant thoughts. :P