Coach AV returns next year? Yes or No

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Coach AV goes or stays?

Coach AV comes back next year
45%
Adios AV (good luck with the Habs)
55%

Total votes: 62

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Coach AV returns next year? Yes or No

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I think Vigneault is a good coach.

If Gillis had gone another direction by not extending him, I don't think it would have been because he is not a "good coach", but instead because the team needed a phsychological shift that can't be gained from minor trades or UFA signings.

That must mean that the necessary psychological change will be gained from a major goalie trade! :)

Anyway, I think Vigneault does not get enough credit for coaching the Sedins, Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, and Hansen into above average to excellent NHL players.

Plus he successfully transitioned from a defence first coach in 2006-07 to a puck possession, role specific coach over his tenure, presiding over the Canucks' best era.

But strangely, despite all that he has shown, he takes a lot of flack for icing Rome ahead of Ballard.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Southern_Canuck wrote: But strangely, despite all that he has shown, he takes a lot of flack for icing Rome ahead of Ballard.

S_C

You just can't help yourself can you S_C?
DeLevering since 1999.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

donlever wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote: But strangely, despite all that he has shown, he takes a lot of flack for icing Rome ahead of Ballard.

S_C

You just can't help yourself can you S_C?
Really? Huh, on the contrary I feel like I have avoided Ballard discussions pretty well - it's just the most prominent criticism I see of Vigneault. Oh well.

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Wed May 23, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

ODB wrote: Yep, off season roster moves... I'm waiting with baited breath' ... Image
Using shit for bait will only catch flies.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
But strangely, despite all that he has shown, he takes a lot of flack for icing Rome ahead of Ballard.

S_C
And so he should. Even though Ballard is overpaid he is a better player than Aaron Rome and AV finally figured it out by playoff time this season.

I am not real stoked about the chubby frenchman coming back either. Nothing any of us can do about it though.

I am really hoping for GMMG to turn over this roster by at least 6 or 7 players this summer.

Out
Salo
Luongo
Rome
Ballard
Raymond
Pahlsson
Malhotra - will be very tricky
Alberts
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Scintillator
CC Veteran

Post by Scintillator »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I am really hoping for GMMG to turn over this roster by at least 6 or 7 players this summer.
Out:
Salo
Luongo
Rome
Ballard
Raymond
Pahlsson
Malhotra - will be very tricky
Alberts
Mostly agree with the emigrants in your list. Also that handling Manny will be tricky -- which could mean he will get one last shot at proving he's capable of playing a role, some role, any role... come training camp.

I suspect though, that both Ballard and Raymond will also get one last look. Some might say it would only be to make GM look like he isn't over reacting by dumping them too quickly. But if they get they shite together they might hang around another year. I don`t really care on way or t`other but if they are here I want AV to be quicker to swap in new blood when they stink the joint out.

The one guy I think should get a pass is Pahlsson -- he wasn`t here long enough to settle in and get comfortable, or (heh heh) for AV to take a shine to him. Once he licks AV`s boots a few more times he will become a fixture on the third line.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I don't mind Pahlsson Scin..... but the Canucks need some offence from that 3rd line centre postion. Chris Kelly would be a nice addition but someone will throw huge jack at him. Jason Arnott would be ok too if he was three years younger.

Pretty slim pickins at all forward postions this summer particularly at centre. MG is going to have to revamp this team through the trade route. There are a couple decent d men available in his price range but the forwards that will have any sort of impact for the Canucks will have come via trades for Luongo and perhaps Ballard.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

All this means is Ballard should be traded!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

IMO this goes back to the question I raised earlier - how does the coaching staff work under AV? Certainly he is responsible for the finished product on the ice but we know that certain coaches have responsibility for certain groups (ie. Newell Brown on special teams, Rick Bowness with the defense, etc), is he "hands off" with those areas like he reputedly is with the players themselves?

With the defense, whether it is AV or Bowness, I think the failure to get more out of Keith Ballard last year was just brutal (although not entirely under the coaches control), it was tragic watching this team losing defensemen in the Stanley Cup Finals and having a $4m guy unable to step in and contribute. At the same time I feel like under AV the Canucks have done a great job playing the hand they've been dealt with a revolving door of defenders in the lineup and there is a lot to be said for that (whether it's a credit to the defense or to the forwards coming back and making sure the blueliners don't have to force plays is up for debate I suppose).

With the powerplay, while the Canucks absolutely ventilated a few teams along the way and ended up with a respectable percentage, they just didn't seem to have what it took to give a team a few different looks in order to create opportunities for themselves. To me the personnel available are just too good for the group to not be a factor - although this was the case with several teams around the league - Detroit, Los Angeles, Chicago and Tampa spring to mind - so perhaps this is a league wide trend moreso than a failure on the Canucks part.

Anyway as I said I'll be interested to see whether the Canucks make any externally visible changes affecting these areas of the game.. or whether Mike Gillis simply looks to improve the personnel in which case I would guess he believes they had an execution problem this year.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Just curious... dose anyone know where "the other" don lever is these days? Wikipedia's latest info on him has him being named the head coach of the Wolves in 2009.

I had wondered about him a few weeks ago when AV's future didn't look as certain here. Now there are a few other teams looking for a coach and I haven't heard his name come up yet.
2011..... the one that got away.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

donlever wrote: Why you smug, sarcastic SOB.

Must be a Saints fan.

8-)
:D

Speaking of which, the days of being a cursed Saints fan seem to be back! Half the organization is suspended and the star QB and management are at an impasse in contract discussions. Sigh.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Strangelove wrote: Meh, our franchise history ain't so great though amirite?

Just sayin. :drink:
True enough.

I certainly won't lose any sleep when AV is shown the door. I think he's been a good coach, but six years is a long time in coach speak and I think he'll be gone sooner rather than later.

I just don't understand why people are upset that he is sticking around. It's not like he has been unsuccesful here.

Yes the Canucks organization has a pathetic history. We all know that. But, winning five of the last six NW division titles and back to back Presidents Trophies is very good. Over the past three or four years this team has been one of the best in the league. I don't think anybody can argue that. I have a hard time wanting to get rid of somebody who has obviously been an important part of our recent success.

I guess the risk is that things may be becoming stagnant. I do think this team is in need of a shake up. I'm with Blob on this one. I think moving a core guy like Luongo may be necessary to give the group a different dynamic.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote: I guess the risk is that things may be becoming stagnant. I do think this team is in need of a shake up. I'm with Blob on this one. I think moving a core guy like Luongo may be necessary to give the group a different dynamic.
I agree a shakeup was needed and I was hoping twould be the axing of Alain. I'm in the keep-Lou-trade-Schneids camp, not that THAT would be a shakeup, but the return on Schneids plus a UFA singing or two (Schultz) plus the jetison of Raymond/Ballard/Manny/Pahlsson.... would add up to a nice shakeup.

Maybe the replacement of Bowness and Brown, like Dave says... ??
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

2 year extension.

Basically exactly what I expected.

Says win now or we're going in a different direction.

Like I said, would not have been upset to see him go but he and Gillis likely have a plan and an understanding. Win next year with the moves I make this off-season or we will quickly see if someone else can lead this team.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Seems AV has already ruffled some feathers...

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... story.html

This is another thing that bothers me about AV... I agree with Kesler's agent, stick to coaching, let the doctors worry about injuries. This goes back to the Cody Hodgson issue, just keep your mouth shut.