Game 5 playoff elimination - Luo or Ginger?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do you start in game 5?

Luo
4%
Ginger
96%

Total votes: 45

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Game 5 playoff elimination - Luo or Ginger?

Post by Topper »

I would not be surprised if there was a plan in place. Lou, you're No.1, you've got the starts until you loose two, then Cory plays. The hot goaltender plays until he looses. then we switch again.

All season the mantra has been that there is confidence in both. Schneider got starts in Chicago and Boston to show the team how much confidence there is in him.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

What ever worked for game 4 you go with the same for game 5, which includes a who starts in net thread and a how many dives will Kesler do? ;)

Than to mkae Cornuck happy we talk about trades throughout every thread.

For the record it is impossible to start Luo, CS in in the zone.

Raymond on the other hand .....
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blaster86 wrote:You can't go back to Luongo.
I agree. AV would be putting his fat ass on the line if he throws in Luongo and he shits the bed.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Blaster86 wrote:You can't go back to Luongo.
I agree. AV would be putting his fat ass on the line if he throws in Luongo and he shits the bed.
Funny how b2b pt winning coach's ass could be on the line at all...oh butt it Is......see wot I did der
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

First let me say I believe Schneider will play game 5.

This said however, I think the Team has completely hung Lou out to dry. I'm a Lou fan (and a Cory fan) and this team has not played with anything near the defensive capability it can. Dealing only with the playoffs and don't get me started on MAG, the team completely abandoned Lou in game 1. I've seen peewee hockey with more desire and less defensive zone mistakes. Same as game two. We fought harder but once again shit the bed defensively as demonstrated by Elder's play. Game three progressively better but once again, defensive zone mistake.

Now Daniel is back, we had PP success (WTF was that!!!) and the defensive zone mistakes finally (sorta) cleared up. don't get me started on Mason (I fall for spare change) Raymond.

I think Hockey Widow is right. Lou will request trade in the off season; not because of the fans, but because of his team mates.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:Luongo gets one chance to redeem himself in the eyes of the fans he has lost. And that is if Cory wins us this series. Then I could see AV get Luongo back in but otherwise why would he? It makes no sense. But then again..
I like Luongo but hell I feel better when Cory is in net. That alone should dictate what AV does right?

And we need a new nickname for Cory. On After Hours he made it clear he doesn't like the nick name and wishes people would move on from it. Just saying.
Noted.

Schneid just doesn't seem natural to me. Hmmm.

Fair enough. The masses has spoken.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Luongo gets one chance to redeem himself in the eyes of the fans he has lost. And that is if Cory wins us this series. Then I could see AV get Luongo back in but otherwise why would he? It makes no sense. But then again..
I like Luongo but hell I feel better when Cory is in net. That alone should dictate what AV does right?

And we need a new nickname for Cory. On After Hours he made it clear he doesn't like the nick name and wishes people would move on from it. Just saying.

how about EI for a nickname as in elimination insurance, plus I always have to double check that I have the "I before E" rule backwards when spelling Schneids...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:I would not be surprised if there was a plan in place. Lou, you're No.1, you've got the starts until you loose two, then Cory plays. The hot goaltender plays until he looses. then we switch again.

All season the mantra has been that there is confidence in both. Schneider got starts in Chicago and Boston to show the team how much confidence there is in him.

I think this also, its the most logical, the most professional, and as such there is no room for egos...
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

I expect Schneider to finish this series.

He's hot & the team has confidence.

The next series is a different story.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

To be honest, I can't even believe that this is a discussion.

It has to be Schneider all the way from here on out until he has a bad loss (and if it's in this series obviously, we are done).

I'd even go as far as saying that Schneider should be the #1 goalie from here on out.....and even if we get to round 2 and Luongo has to come in for relief, you still go with Schneider the next game (although I think THAT is what should really be up for debate).

For this series though, and as long as we keep winning and the goaltending remains strong, you have to go with Schneider.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

clem wrote:
The next series is a different story.
I honestly don't think it is. If the Canucks actually do pull off the miracle and win the next 3 games, I can't see how they go back to Lou...........unless in the hypothetical 2nd round series, Schneider gets lit up or has a bad game. THEN - you go Luongo.

I honestly can't see it playing out any other way. In this series for instance - if Vigneault decides to go with Luongo in Game 5 and Luongo's performance isn't as good as what Schneider's has been (and we lose), Vigneault will get canned on the spot and will probably never have an NHL coaching job ever again for a decision like that.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Farhan Lalji wrote:To be honest, I can't even believe that this is a discussion.

It has to be Schneider all the way from here on out until he has a bad loss (and if it's in this series obviously, we are done).

I'd even go as far as saying that Schneider should be the #1 goalie from here on out.....and even if we get to round 2 and Luongo has to come in for relief, you still go with Schneider the next game (although I think THAT is what should really be up for debate).

For this series though, and as long as we keep winning and the goaltending remains strong, you have to go with Schneider.
ts getting so I dont know if Mit Romney or Farhan Lalji should be the Verb for flip flop anymore :)

it seems pretty clear we have a 1A, 1B situation going forward, but looking forward should only be as far as the 1st period of game 5...
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

ukcanuck wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:To be honest, I can't even believe that this is a discussion.

ts getting so I dont know if Mit Romney or Farhan Lalji should be the Verb for flip flop anymore :)

it seems pretty clear we have a 1A, 1B situation going forward, but looking forward should only be as far as the 1st period of game 5...
Farhan = cover all your bases
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

ukcanuck wrote:

Not sure I'm following you buds. :?

I do admittedly flip flop on many issues (maybe I'm one of the few that thinks it's silly to be "set in stone" with thoughts, views, etc., when situations constantly change).........but as far as Schneider and Lou go, I think I've made it pretty clear that Schneider should be our goalie for the rest of this series.......and from here on out assuming that we make round 2. I would only put in Luongo at this point if Schneider is getting lit up or has a bad game (and in which case, you put Lou in the next game).

We may very well have a "1A" and "1B" situation going on, but that is NOT to say that we will be alternating between the goalies at random........especially if Schneider is playing tremendous and the team is winning with Schneider.

Is that " :) " worthy enough for you? :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I guess I am in denial of the end of the Luongo era in Vancouver.

As much as I dislike him, my dislike stems from the irrational emotions conjured up from fragments of his past such as the Olympic gold medal and of course last year's almost cup win as well as how greasy his hair is. Seriously. That's some greasy hair he's got.

Fact: He's been the Vancouver Canucks best goalie ever and people tend to forget how bad our goaltending was before Luo.

Fact: Luo is also not responsible nor did he contribute to the clusterfuck that was games 1 and 2. Luo and Schneid have been our best players this past season. Bar none. Games being stolen left and right by both goalies peaking at the end of the regular season with back-to-back 1-0 shut outs versus LA (Luo) and the Avs (Schneid) and capped off with a season ending shutout by Luo against the Coilers (which won us the President's Trophy).

When everyone talks about the playoffs, they always talk about riding the hot goalie. I just wonder if it's as simple as that when it comes to coaching.

Or do you go beyond just that rule-of-thumb and actually strategize against the opponent utilizing all of the assets in your coaching toolchest. Schneid has certain tendencies at home and away. Luo has certain tendencies home and away. Where were the LA players being coached to shoot at with Schneid.. etc etc.

I dunno. I'm not a coach. I'm just asking questions!

--

I guess I also don't feel Luo has to redeem himself at all. He did the best he could with what he was given and he gave us a good chance to win in games 1 and 2. I feel that because Schneid had such a brilliant performance last night, everyone is willing to just throw Luo away and that really isn't fair.
Last edited by mathonwy on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.