Hossa Hit

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby Reefer2 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:04 am

I am more of a 2000 type engine, solar, wind power or electric.

Gas is for pussies and destroys the earth.
User avatar
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1037
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby Larry Goodenough » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:50 am

Topper wrote:Meds. Did you learn your science from Ol' Larry?

Whats our vector Victor?



Yawn

fart

Roger, Roger.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby Larry Goodenough » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:53 am

Heard Toews whining on about how Torres showed no remorse after he hit Seabrook and how he doesn't care that he hurt Hossa.

I instantly flashed to what I heard yesterday.

reporter: Daniel, did Duncan Keith ever contact you?

DS: No
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby okcanuck » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:11 am

Larry Goodenough wrote:Heard Toews whining on about how Torres showed no remorse after he hit Seabrook and how he doesn't care that he hurt Hossa.

I instantly flashed to what I heard yesterday.

reporter: Daniel, did Duncan Keith ever contact you?

DS: No


The shithawks are always going on about how the Canucks whine all the time. Toews is one of the worst whiners in the league. This is all posturing by Toews to influence Shanahans suspension of Torres.
User avatar
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 504
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am
Location: Bestwank,BC

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby Puck » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:13 am

Chicago is working the media like Boston did after Rome's hit. This extra time just helps them. I wonder if Shanahan actually feels that the Torres hit - ugly as it ended up - was not as bad as it looked and he's trying to figure out how to prevent Chicago from having a giant tantrum when he doesn't give Torres much of a suspension?
User avatar
Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby dbr » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Puck wrote:I wonder if Shanahan actually feels that the Torres hit - ugly as it ended up - was not as bad as it looked and he's trying to figure out how to prevent Chicago from having a giant tantrum when he doesn't give Torres much of a suspension?


Why on earth would he be doing that? Everything points to a huge suspension.

  • Shanahan is under enormous pressure, with the media, fans and even players and teams publicly questioning his authority and credibility.
  • The hit in question was illegal on a couple of fronts, and the player sustaining the hit left on a stretcher and likely won't be back any time soon (and if he will be, we haven't heard about it).
  • The player hit is a star player who keeps his nose clean and plays a vital role for an important franchise.
  • The player who delivered the hit is pretty much unrepentant, is a serial offender and is not a key player for his team - a team that is not part of the old guard, is not a major player in its market and does not have a highly influential owner (or any owner at all for that matter).

If Raffi's not done for the playoffs - at the very least - I'll be astonished.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2519
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby yablon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Raffi's hit was just a hockey play.

Hossa turned around and ran into a backchecker, right after he let go of the puck. Like it or not, that was a hockey hit which resulted in an injury. There should not be a suspention for this. Its like when torres hit thornton last year and separated his shoulder. These are injuries as a results of hockey plays.

Go watch the NFL, there are plenty of football hits that result in injury, its part of the game. I dont see why Raffi should get penalized honestly, unless they want to take big hits out of the game. If they think Raffi's force was excessive that goes against the fabric of the game (finish your checks, tough guys play hockey). If they want the game to be non contact euro-skill hockey so be it (but if that was the case why didn't they enforce that during the 2011 cup final??? Canucks were poster boys for that type of hockey).

Dave Tippet said it right, raffi was finishing a hit, a hockey play (just like aaron rome was, just like dustin brown was) and there was no malicious intent. It is merely tough players playing tough hockey and laying hits within the rules of the game. If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the fire (or roll off in a stretcher).

I think I know why, because there is a vested interest, every case is approached different depending on who is who.

Some hits with wrecklessness, malicious intent that have not been given any, or maybe not enough dicipline:
See chara on patrioetty - wrecklessness, throwing a guy into the stanchion that the hitter was aware of.
See keith on Sedin - purely premeditated and a non hockey play elbow to the face, obviously retailitory.
See Weber on Zetterberg - Non hockey play - WWE turnbuckle smash.

Overpenalized penalties on hockey plays:
Rome on Horton - Hockey hit on a guy skating with his head down into the teams offensive zone
Torres on Seabrook - Hockey hit on a guy with his head down
Torres on Hossa - Hockey hit on a guy turning back with his head down.
yablon
AHL Prospect
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: Cloverdale

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby Fred » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:25 pm

Puck wrote:Chicago is working the media like Boston did after Rome's hit. This extra time just helps them. I wonder if Shanahan actually feels that the Torres hit - ugly as it ended up - was not as bad as it looked and he's trying to figure out how to prevent Chicago from having a giant tantrum when he doesn't give Torres much of a suspension?


You know I waas thinking along the same lines but thought it's not worth mentioning because of the proverbial flak that will follow. Kronwall makes hits like this frequently no suspension ie leaves feet. The only thing they can hang Torres on IMO is how long was it after Hossa made the pass. I recall for Rome they timed it on a video replay which was 27 frames which was thought to be too long.(0.9 second ) So if the NHL is trying to make sense of this that has to be the standard. But it's a late hit or not The hit was no different to Kronwalls regular hits.

Especally as you can apprently do a Chara/Pachoretti and get zero
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby dangler » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:52 pm

Fred wrote: The only thing they can hang Torres on IMO is how long was it after Hossa made the pass. I recall for Rome they timed it on a video replay which was 27 frames which was thought to be too long.(0.9 second ) So if the NHL is trying to make sense of this that has to be the standard. But it's a late hit or not The hit was no different to Kronwalls regular hits.


I think Torres hit was similar to Browns hit on Henrik,a lttle later and Brown didn't leave his feet,but similar in the way the hittee's heads made contact with the hitters shoulders,i.e. under the chin.
Torres kept his hands down for the hit and Keiths hit on Daniel was 10 times worse.1 or 2 games is all he should get if Keith gets 5 in the reg. season.
User avatar
dangler
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Commercial Drive Coffee shop

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby Listercat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Raffi's hit was all shoulder. Raffi always drives his body up into the player he is hitting. In this case where he appears to leave his feet the hit is comparable to the way Kronwall hits. Raffi's hits are always predatory. Brown cocked his elbow when he locked in for the hit and the elbow is what actually makes contact with Hank before the shoulder. As Hank is driven back the elbow continues through and is driven up right under his chin. Watch the reply and Brown is across the centre line when he starts moving back toward Hank who is battling another King for the puck. As he hits the centre line he starts speeding up and brings his elbow forward. Hank is not even aware that Brown is coming and only turns at the moment Brown arrives. This hit is no less predatory and in fact probably was deserving of a charging penalty at the very least.

I think Hank wanted to show he could take a shot and come back.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:12 pm
Location: Not Bountiful

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby Puck » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:28 am

Listercat wrote:...Hank who is battling another King for the puck. As he hits the centre line he starts speeding up and brings his elbow forward. Hank is not even aware that Brown is coming and only turns at the moment Brown arrives. This hit is no less predatory and in fact probably was deserving of a charging penalty at the very least.
(my emphasis)
ABSOLUTELY. Smashing a player that's already engaged with another* is extremely cheap and dangerous. All that stuff about guys having to be smart enough to protect themselves from big hits is GONE when they're already battling with another player. It certainly was a charging minor, agreed.
Listercat wrote:I think Hank wanted to show he could take a shot and come back.

I think you're right, but unfortunately it won't be acknowledged by the drooling hordes. Large percentages of the US still believe that Iraq had WMDs. Public impression has the inertia of a mountain.


------------------------
* There's a similar football penalty against exactly this, in that you are not allowed to chop block a player already engaged with another blocker. The reason being that the defender is unable to protect himself from the chop.
User avatar
Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby wafflecombine » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:34 am

Iraq does have WMD, the US government could prove it easily if the Pentagon would just fork over the reciepts from the shit they sold to them!! lol.

When I watch the replay I get more of a "get the f!@#$!@ out of my way vibe" to the contact. Its either that or "awe, you nose is bleeding... let me wipe it for you... cupcake... :)"

Kings have been throwing the body around all series. Some of its been borderline-ish on occassion. They'd have to know we'd return some of that love in kind.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby herb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:51 am

Torres' hits are always predatory. He hits to hurt people, not to separate them from the puck, and his hits are often late. He know's who he's hitting and he doesn't want them to pop right back up. Torres is a douche bag who deserves to have the book thrown at him.

IMO Brown's hit on Hank was a Raffi Torres type hit. Brown wanted to put the hurt on our captain, and knew exactly who it was when he came flying in from 30 ft out. The hit was late, charging and predatory. The only differences are that Hank wasn't taken off on a stretcher and Brown doesn't have a checkered reputation like Torres.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby donlever » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:56 am

herb wrote: The only differences are that Hank wasn't taken off on a stretcher and Brown doesn't have a checkered reputation like Torres.


Don't forget where Brown plays...
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Hossa Hit

Postby ESQ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Fred wrote:
Puck wrote:Chicago is working the media like Boston did after Rome's hit. This extra time just helps them. I wonder if Shanahan actually feels that the Torres hit - ugly as it ended up - was not as bad as it looked and he's trying to figure out how to prevent Chicago from having a giant tantrum when he doesn't give Torres much of a suspension?


You know I waas thinking along the same lines but thought it's not worth mentioning because of the proverbial flak that will follow. Kronwall makes hits like this frequently no suspension ie leaves feet. The only thing they can hang Torres on IMO is how long was it after Hossa made the pass. I recall for Rome they timed it on a video replay which was 27 frames which was thought to be too long.(0.9 second ) So if the NHL is trying to make sense of this that has to be the standard. But it's a late hit or not The hit was no different to Kronwalls regular hits.

Especally as you can apprently do a Chara/Pachoretti and get zero


I believe Raffi is the one who requested a delay of the hearing. I think its going to substantially help him, because (surprise surprise) Chicago way over-dramatized the whole police escort to the hospital thing, and Hossa is already home, working the text messages, and could be back in a short period of time. It wasn't the hardest hit of all time, and it wasn't the ugliest headshot, but after Seabrook didn't draw a suspension last year, Chicago went all out to sell it.

I think the delay helps Torres.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests