Game 4 playoff elimination - Luongo or Schneider?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Game 4 playoff elimination - Luongo or Schneider?

Post by ODB »

Jovocop wrote: don't think our defense was running at its capacity but Schneider was.
I thought the defense played a real strong game last night. Boxed the Kings out and all around made it the easiest game of the playoffs for either of our goaltenders. They were also very aggressive pinching in at the right times (for the most part). It was Edler's best game in a while IMO.

I think top to bottom it was a solid effort.

You could see the space Daniel opened up. It took a period to get their mojo going but the Kings had to respect the three foot Sedin give and goes. The cycle simply couldn't be ignored like it was in the first three games. Henrek had nobody to pass to. This forced the Kings to collapse and opened the point up. The Kings were much more aggressive on the points in the first three games. They couldn't do that in game four and Daniel was the reason.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Jovocop wrote: I don't think coasting was really the problem. If you look at the game last night, the power play was completely different with Daniel in the lineup. I don't think our defense was running at its capacity but Schneider was. Our special teams and the goalie won the game last night.

Raymond is simply a boat anchor. Whatever line he is on, that line sucks. The second line could not do much with Raymond. Once, AV put Lapierre on that line, it started clicking.

Raymond tries too hard to be someone that he is not. He should use his strength "speed" to drive to the net not his weakness "strength" to outmuscle the opponents.
As far as the playoffs go, I agree. With the exception of Game 1, the Canucks deserved to win all of the other games (maybe not last night ironically enough, but definitely games 2 and 3). This series should be either 2-2 or 3-1 in our favor.

My biggest complaint with the Canucks was how they performed for the most part between January 8th to the end of the regular season. Sure - we ended up with 111 points, but can we honestly say that we went 'balls out' on a mass majority of those games? When you don't do it for so long, you lose practice........and I also believe that this was one reason why we didn't fare better against LA in those first 3 games.

Anyway - lesson learned hopefully.

I still would like to see Kesler play a few shifts with the twins.
I would agree that they should start ramping up at least a few games before the regular season ended. However, losing Daniel really hurt the team, especially on the power play.

Even in Game 1, I thought the Canucks were not that bad, except Edler's brainfart in the third. I agree, with a bit luck, the Canucks should be leading the 3-1 or at least 2-2. Hansen could have one goal in each of the last three games (two goal posts in game 2 and 3). The second (winning) goal last night is a prime example of luck. I hope that the Kings' luck is finally running out. The Canucks should finally be able to turn the table around and start pounding on the Kings' mistakes.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ODB wrote:
Jovocop wrote: don't think our defense was running at its capacity but Schneider was.
I thought the defense played a real strong game last night. Boxed the Kings out and all around made it the easiest game of the playoffs for either of our goaltenders. They were also very aggressive pinching in at the right times (for the most part). It was Edler's best game in a while IMO.

I think top to bottom it was a solid effort.

You could see the space Daniel opened up. It took a period to get their mojo going but the Kings had to respect the three foot Sedin give and goes. The cycle simply couldn't be ignored like it was in the first three games. Henrek had nobody to pass to. This forced the Kings to collapse and opened the point up. The Kings were much more aggressive on the points in the first three games. They couldn't do that in game four and Daniel was the reason.
Comparing to the first three games, the defense did improve a lot last night. However, there were still quite a few turnovers that could cost them the game. Tanev, as much as people love him, is still not a full time top four at this stage. If Salo retires after this season, I hope that MG could sign or trade for a legit top four defenseman.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Daniel's return impacts offensive / defensive zone time & provides some hope that one defensive mistake won’t automatically screw the game. Both help the confidence of someone shaken by increased responsibility. Someone like Edler. I was hoping Edler would step up this game.

Also, notice how Ballard has gotten steadier every week he plays.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

clem wrote:
Also, notice how Ballard has gotten steadier every week he plays.
Yep.

I've always been a fan of Ballard, even when he wasn't playing well last year (thanks in part, to Vigneault having an illogically short leash on the guy).

Regardless - I'm glad Ballard is with us and is playing reasonably well. I might be in the minority when I say that I hope he re-signs here when his contract is up down the road.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Farhan Lalji wrote: ..fan of Ballard..
While folks have lauded Edler & voted him best D man this year, I've always thought him to be streaky & a bit unreliable. He has a good stretch and then looses it for a while. The ability is there but the brain loses control once in a while – a bit like Luongo.

Ballard on the other hand was the under dog, the good guy that couldn’t get a break. He also lost it in frustration once in a while. Now that he’s getting his health/game together I’m liking what he brings more & more.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Farhan Lalji wrote: I've always been a fan of Ballard, even when he wasn't playing well last year (thanks in part, to Vigneault having an illogically short leash on the guy).
I've been a Ballard supporter, but AV's short leash on the guy last season was far from illogical.

Ballard had a horrible time understanding the Canucks system in terms of where to be and what to do. His gap control was poor, he wasn't moving the puck quickly, but was instead circling back, holding onto the puck and many of his passes lead nowhere even if he got it to a teammate. Ballard was also consistently out of position, cheating to help others and leaving his assignments.

Granted, we can attribute some of it to confidence, and there's an argument to be made that AV and the coaching staff had little patience with Ballard, but make no mistake about it, Ballard's game was poor last year, and it took him quite a while this season to seem comfortable.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

coco_canuck wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote: I've always been a fan of Ballard, even when he wasn't playing well last year (thanks in part, to Vigneault having an illogically short leash on the guy).
I've been a Ballard supporter, but AV's short leash on the guy last season was far from illogical.

Ballard had a horrible time understanding the Canucks system in terms of where to be and what to do. His gap control was poor, he wasn't moving the puck quickly, but was instead circling back, holding onto the puck and many of his passes lead nowhere even if he got it to a teammate. Ballard was also consistently out of position, cheating to help others and leaving his assignments.

Granted, we can attribute some of it to confidence, and there's an argument to be made that AV and the coaching staff had little patience with Ballard, but make no mistake about it, Ballard's game was poor last year, and it took him quite a while this season to seem comfortable.
I guess I'm wondering about the knock on effect (scuse the pun) of the concussion protocol, how much has it helped his game to take a Long good hard look at the system and how he fits into it. Perhaps when you are too focused on staying in the line up night after night, you get tunnel vision and keep going back to what you know rather than adapting?..
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Ballard's game has been progressing since the beginning of this season.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

ukcanuck wrote: I guess I'm wondering about the knock on effect (scuse the pun) of the concussion protocol, how much has it helped his game to take a Long good hard look at the system and how he fits into it. Perhaps when you are too focused on staying in the line up night after night, you get tunnel vision and keep going back to what you know rather than adapting?..
It's a possibility, and I'm sure it has helped him gain better perspective.

Last year was tough for him because he missed out on training much in the summer due to hip-surgery, and then struggled to stay healthy for much of the regular season with a concussion, foot-injury and knee-injury. Physically, he was a step behind his well-conditioned teammates and at first he was in-and-out of the line-up due to injuries and he never found a good handle on his game nor the system. Clearly confidence is also a big issue, and Ballard seldom looked confident on the ice last season.

Then you compound it with coming to a contender, something he'd never been on, and being forced to earn a regular spot in the line-up. I think it's fair to say he went through a significant culture shock.

It took Ballard some time this season to improve, but he's been a much better, more reliable defenceman this season.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I agree, Ballard is untouchable at this point!

:thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Golly gee. Do you think so? :wow:

Maybe that's what AV thought last year.

I'll settle for steady & not error prone in the future. With some quickness, & a touch of mean.