A Black day for the NHL

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: A Black day for the NHL

Postby Topper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:35 pm

How is what Backstrom did (no injury, no priors - 1 game suspension) worse than what Weber did (no injury, no priors, $2,500 fine)?

Asham gets 4 even though no injury and no priors?

It will be interesting to see what happens with Torres in light of what happened to Keith. Torres has plenty of priors, but the hits were equal in vicious intent.

Watched Shanahan explain these, baffling.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:47 pm

Yep, it's anarchy. :drink:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby wafflecombine » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:18 am

I have a sneaking suspicion this was partial payback for the run the Hawks took on Smith. Torres saw opportunity to crush Hossa and took it. Because of Torres history, fact he's a plug hitting a superstar and because Shanny is in panic mode to try and regain some credibility I'm saying a minimum of 5 games.

And I still don't know how the refs missed the play... they are missing a lot these days.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Island Nucklehead » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:42 am

Topper wrote:How is what Backstrom did (no injury, no priors - 1 game suspension) worse than what Weber did (no injury, no priors, $2,500 fine)?

Asham gets 4 even though no injury and no priors?

It will be interesting to see what happens with Torres in light of what happened to Keith. Torres has plenty of priors, but the hits were equal in vicious intent.

Watched Shanahan explain these, baffling.

Spin the suspension wheel...

I actually think the Torres hit is less vicious than the Keith hit. He left his feet, but he wasn't leading with the elbow looking for a revenge shot. Hossa was crushed, but chances are he misses a similar amount of games to Daniel. My guess is Shanny gives Torres a lifetime ban from hockey and sacrifices his first born son with a battle axe. Then in the second round the same hit will be a $2,500 fine.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby ODB » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:47 am

I loved the Torres hit. Ol Tinted Visor shouldn't have been admiring his pass. Torres came off the ice a bit but... I don't think he deserves a suspension. It was a "hockey play". :drink:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ESQ » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:50 am

tantalum wrote:
The NFL is far more unified in public on this front right now because of the 1186 players forming a class action lawsuit against the league because of concussions/head injuries and their aftermath (4 more players sued the NFL directly yesterday in direct response to the Saints bounty program)...

You are right, that was a bit revisionist on my part. The concussion question was raised in the NFL long before it was raised in the NHL, and they did everything they could to bury it.

But then you also look at how much more quickly the NFL moved to protect quarterbacks, and the immediate impact it had. Same thing with when they did change the helmet-to-helmet this year - players hated it, but they swift justice made sure behaviour was changed very quickly.

As for the Torres hit, it reminds me a lot of Kronwall on Kesler - Kronwall also leaves the feet, turns the body, although Kesler did have the puck.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Fred » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:13 am

Sounds like that old Cher song and "the beat goes on" how can Shanahan extradite himself from this without exposing himself as a biased judge. It's amess Mr Shanahan and you have to accept responsability. Funny how Kronwall makes the same play and nothing happens. As Toews said last night no one knows what to expect or what's going on any more
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Puck » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:24 am

Well, the one thing I think you can say is that lack of respect continues to grow.
Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Brick Tamland » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:27 am

So it looks like Torres will get 5 games plus (I'm assuming on account of the inperson hearing)for a hit that the zebra's didn't even call a penalty on....What is wrong with the NHL, regardless of how you feel about the hit, this is just a total gong show.

From TSN:
"Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torres has been suspended indefinitely, pending an in-person hearing on Friday, for his hit on Marian Hossa of the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 3 on Tuesday night."
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Postby Fred » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:56 am

Brick Tamland wrote:So it looks like Torres will get 5 games plus (I'm assuming on account of the inperson hearing)for a hit that the zebra's didn't even call a penalty on....What is wrong with the NHL, regardless of how you feel about the hit, this is just a total gong show.

From TSN:
"Phoenix Coyotes forward Raffi Torres has been suspended indefinitely, pending an in-person hearing on Friday, for his hit on Marian Hossa of the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 3 on Tuesday night."

That's what I can't under stand ....the on ice officials. How they watch Keith head hunt and give a 2 min minor, watch the numerous Kronwall hits and give nothing and the no call on Torres makes you wonder what the Hell is going on. No one can give a reasonable excuse. It's time to make the officials avaiable to the media after a game me thinks
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Cornuck » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:17 pm

Fred wrote:...makes you wonder what the Hell is going on. No one can give a reasonable excuse.

Less stars = more parity? :?
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby tantalum » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:21 pm

What happens if Ovechkin lines up a Bruins player and sends him off on a stretcher? Ovechkin is a repeat offender but also one of the faces of the league. Man I almost hope it happens (not the wishing part but that is necessary to the purposes of the example) just to see the league squirm.

4 officials on the ice can't even see plays that lead to goals that are 2 feet offside and we want them to actually see and determine what is an isn't a penalty? Pretty high standards for the current crop of officials. NHL really needs to re-think how they are recruiting and training because in all honesty the best international refs are now better than the best NHL refs. International refs don't let things slide. Sometimes I wonder what they are watching but I'll be damned, if they see 11 penalties for one team and only 1 for the other that is how they will call it. No matter who is winning/losing or how bad a team is winning/losing. Wouldn't that be a breath of fresh air right now?
Last edited by tantalum on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ESQ » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 pm

tantalum wrote:What happens if Ovechkin lines up a Bruins player and sends him off on a stretcher? Ovechkin is a repeat offender but also one of the faces of the league. Man I almost hope it happens (not the wishing part but that is necessary to the purposes of the example) just to see the league squirm.

And then what happens if the victim is a repeat offender like Brian Boyle? Do you think Boyle being a goon had an effect on Carkner only getting one game?
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby donlever » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:27 pm

ESQ wrote:
And then what happens if the victim is a repeat offender like Brian Boyle? Do you think Boyle being a goon had an effect on Carkner only getting one game?

How is Brian Boyle a goon?
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:27 pm

Do you think Talbot is feeding lines to the rest of the Flyers to get Sid riled. I think there is a better chance of Sid winding up for a two hander than OV getting into trouble.

Thing is, if it is Sid, the penalty starts in October.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat