refereeing stinks to high heaven

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ajp
AHL Prospect

refereeing stinks to high heaven

Post by ajp »

Ref's improved somewhat to us canucks, however the damage has already been done. Can u believe 2 five on three's followed by a five minute major in game two not to mention the smash Henrick took last night(no call of course). If the league does happen to suspend Mr. Brown the ref should be immediately demoted. No wonder the league has warned against no negative comments towards ref's. They no the reffing is bad as usual
dbr
CC Legend

Re: refereeing stinks to high heaven

Post by dbr »

Anything else you'd like to get off your chest?
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...tick tock tick tock
DeLevering since 1999.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

donlever wrote:...tick tock tick tock
on another site in a galaxy far far away...
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

The only explanation is conspiracy. :wow:
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

clem wrote:The only explanation is conspiracy. :wow:
..league wide incompetence works for me.
DeLevering since 1999.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Maybe it's one of my character flaws, an irrational belief in human nature, but I have hard time believing any group can be that incompetent.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I see what you're cookin' there clem but from my prespective the group of them aren't intelligent or forward thinking enough to come up with a decent conspiracy plan so I end up leaning towards blatant stupidity.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Bias? Sure - conspiracy? Maybe?

I'm just sayin' that the NHL would rather see a large US market win the Cup each year. Just sayin'.

Also, I don't blame the loss of any game on the refs. It's a 60 minute game. But when you see the shifts in what's called happen through the regular season and into the playoffs - it's a joke. Where does the directive for those shifts come from?

I can't stand reffing that gives the losing team an advantage by not calling anything on them, while making weak calls on the winning team. We see it all year, and it's just another way of enforcing the parity that gives so many teams a participation ribbon.

I wouldn't want the job of an NHL ref, though. The players are fast, smart, and know how to work the system. Then you would have a changing set of parameters come down from your boss (and we all know that bosses are idiots).

The league needs a complete overhaul in how the game is reffed and disciplined. Or just keep the downward spiral. I really don't care any more. I'm too old for this shit.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Inconsistency throughout the entire league. The calls on the Canucks are only magnified because we choose to watch every game. I am a strong believer that we aren't special, and every team and their fans fight with the inconsistent refereeing on a constant basis. No tin foil hat here.

It could be worse, we could be critiquing refs on other teams' games while our team doesn't play again until October. (I'm looking at you, Bountiful . ;) )
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I am a strong believer that we aren't special, and every team and their fans fight with the inconsistent refereeing on a constant basis. No tin foil hat here.
My unqualified reference to conspiracy may have been a bit tongue in cheek. A response to the ‘educational’ nature of the original post, not the Canuck’s predicament. :wink:

However, it appears that the league has been instructing officials to tighten and loosen standards through the season, in response to events, publicity, and to increase competitiveness. A conspiracy to cater to the lowest common denominator (unskilled teams) & manage appearances, over on-ice quality.

Now, back to work, and look for my tin foil hat.