OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1647
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by Tciso » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:41 am

herb wrote:Also, when Mitchell and the Canucks parted ways the NHL was moving away from the dead puck era and towards more of a speedy, skilled game. The league has obviously regressed in this regard, and it's obvious many did not predict that the league would move away from the clutch & grab era only to return in a couple of years.

I think Gillis' goal was to build a mobile, deep, interchangeable defense - which he has accomplished to a certain degree.

I don't know if anybody predicted that the league would take such a significant step backward in regards to clutching & grabbing (which has left me disheartened in the state of the NHL).
It's not just the regression, it's that the regression is only during the playoffs. It is sad to say, but if we want to hoist the Cup, we should be building an uber-trapping team that wins 2-1 games during the pre-season, regular season and playoffs. Shorthouse might be the only guy in the planet who could watch the games, but, dammit, we could win like that. Or, the Count, Shanny and the Refs (and owners) should be enforcing the game the same all season long, and supporting their "new NHL" mantra.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 840
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by Benjo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:54 am

I don't think it was only in the playoffs like last year. This season was a continuation of last seasons playoffs and the officiating went to hell throughout. Look at the success of all the clutchy grabby teams and look no further.

User avatar
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:45 am

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by clem » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:05 pm

herb wrote:I don't know if anybody predicted that the league would take such a significant step backward in regards to clutching & grabbing (which has left me disheartened in the state of the NHL).
This condition seems to be contagious.

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8412
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by rats19 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:08 pm

Benjo wrote:I don't think it was only in the playoffs like last year. This season was a continuation of last seasons playoffs and the officiating went to hell throughout. Look at the success of all the clutchy grabby teams and look no further.
Rabid......If you will
You are who you hang with.....

User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by tantalum » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:33 pm

I watched half a period of GAme 2 and lost count of the number of interference infractions that went uncalled. Horrible hockey to watch. It's regressed back to say the least.

User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by herb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Tciso wrote:It's not just the regression, it's that the regression is only during the playoffs.
Nah the regression has been happening all season long. Scoring was down as were hooking and holding penalties. Powerplay opportunities are at a three decade low. I find it doubtful that players across the league were hooking and holding any less than previous seasons. It's more likely that the league has changed the way the NHL game is being called, which is a shame. For what it's worth, the league denies that any instruction has been given to the referees to change the way they are calling penalties, of course. How a professional sports league can manage to not play by it's own damn rule book is beyond me.

This regression has undoubtedly made the game easier for big, slow defensemen who rely on obstruction to not be beat by skilled players.

User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by herb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:41 pm

tantalum wrote:I watched half a period of GAme 2 and lost count of the number of interference infractions that went uncalled. Horrible hockey to watch. It's regressed back to say the least.
Agreed.

Historically I watch as many playoff games as I can in Round 1.

My interest usually begins to wane in Round 2 (unless the Canucks are still in it), and I usually don't watch much of Round 3. I do usually tune into the SCF, however.

This year, I could care less. I watched a bit of Game 2, but it was so damn boring I was forced to turn off the TV.

User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by tantalum » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:48 pm

My wife will usually watch the Stanley Cup final even if she watches very little other hockey. Her comment the other day "these are the two teams competing for the cup? Seriously? This is terrible." Pretty much the consensus in these parts...this final is doing little in the way of generating continued interest in hockey. And people in this area were ready to take it seriously thanks to the Blues hype and tried to stick around once the Blues were knocked out but just found it terrible.

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by Arachnid » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:08 pm

I predict the score will be 2-1....who the fuck it is no one outside shitfuck nowhere NJ or ugly whoredom LA no one cares....I will probably watch LA's game 4 just to see Willie give the Cup a good hoist for all his BC supporters (Like Mike from Vancouver 8-) ).
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8412
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by rats19 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Arachnid wrote:I predict the score will be 2-1....who the fuck it is no one outside shitfuck nowhere NJ or ugly whoredom LA no one cares....I will probably watch LA's game 4 just to see Willie give the Cup a good hoist for all his BC supporters (Like Mike from Vancouver 8-) ).
So........ :look:
You are who you hang with.....

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by Arachnid » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:22 pm

rats19 wrote:
Arachnid wrote:I predict the score will be 2-1....who the fuck it is no one outside shitfuck nowhere NJ or ugly whoredom LA no one cares....I will probably watch LA's game 4 just to see Willie give the Cup a good hoist for all his BC supporters (Like Mike from Vancouver 8-) ).
So........ :look:
........ i like candy Image
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

User avatar
darren
CC Veteran
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:45 am

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by darren » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:52 pm

I don't know where this LA team was all year, but they would have stomped Boston last year. This is one of the most dominating playoff performances I've ever seen. Not only is LA not going to lose another game... I don't think they're going to let in another goal. I'm finding this beatdown to be quite watchable, like a pack of wolves pulling down a deer.

User avatar
BCExpat
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 262
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by BCExpat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:21 pm

darren wrote:I don't know where this LA team was all year, but they would have stomped Boston last year. This is one of the most dominating playoff performances I've ever seen. Not only is LA not going to lose another game... I don't think they're going to let in another goal. I'm finding this beatdown to be quite watchable, like a pack of wolves pulling down a deer.
I knew that the Flames shouldn't have fired D. Sutter - LOL :roll:
Feaster Famine

User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1647
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by Tciso » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:24 pm

darren wrote:I don't know where this LA team was all year, but they would have stomped Boston last year. This is one of the most dominating playoff performances I've ever seen. Not only is LA not going to lose another game... I don't think they're going to let in another goal. I'm finding this beatdown to be quite watchable, like a pack of wolves pulling down a deer.

I watched the OT in game 2, and LA was getting stomped in their own end. But...they were clutching, grabbing and interfering like a mofo, and not even twitch from the refs or linesmen. I saw at least 4 penalties in one 45 second shift. LA was not dominant at all in OT. If the rules were enforced, they'd have been in the box for about 90% of that OT.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

User avatar
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 760
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am
Location: Port Alberni

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Post by okcanuck » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:40 pm

LA is totally dominant tonight. We probably gave them their biggest challenge this year.

Way to go Willie, playing the PK and the PP.
Wish we still had him.

Post Reply