OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby mathonwy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:11 pm



Here's something that'll make you smile. :D
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:09 pm

Shanny may fine the glass after that one.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3499
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby Per » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:32 am

The real question now is how the Red Wings will react.

Zetterberg is one of their key players. Will they sit back and accept this parody of justice or will they turn all vigilante?
If Shanahan won't stop Weber from playing, maybe some Red Wing will?
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby Cookie La Rue » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:41 am

Per wrote:The real question now is how the Red Wings will react.

Zetterberg is one of their key players. Will they sit back and accept this parody of justice or will they turn all vigilante?
If Shanahan won't stop Weber from playing, maybe some Red Wing will?

There are 3 problems then:
1. He has to be a superstar.
or
2. The superstar must be sure not to injure Weber, complicated affair.
or
3. He's not a superstar but will face a lifetime ban if he's injuring Weber seriously. :lol:

I guess it's going to be a mess anyways because i don't think the Red Wings will leave him without any punishment.
This whole thing will shoot back to the NHL office soon...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013
User avatar
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: 50° 10' North / 8° 34' East

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby Per » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 am

Oliver Ekman-Larsson, age 20, played 31 minutes last night for the Coyotes in his first Stanley Cup playoff game ever. Most minutes of any player in that game not wearing a goalie mask.

Looks like Sweden has a really nice crop of D-men coming up. This season there were six Swedish D-men scoring at least 30 points in the NHL regular season:

Erik Karlsson, age 21, 78 points (19G 59A)
Alexander Edler, age 25, 49 points (11G 38A)
Niklas Kronwall, age 31, 36 points (15G 21A)
Nicklas Lidström, age 41, 34 points (11G 23A)
Tobias Enström, age 27, 33 points (6G 27A)
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, age 20, 32 points (13G 19A)

And then we haven't even addressed players like Victor Hedman, Adam Larsson, David Rundblad, Johnny Oduya, Tim Erixon and Douglas Murray. A total of 22 Swedish D-men played in the NHL this season, 12 of them averaging more than 20 minutes per game.

I think Sweden will have a very strong blue line in the next three Olympic tournaments.
Sure, Lidström will retire, possibly even before 2014, but Kronwall, who is the second oldest on this list, will be 33 in 2014 and 37 in 2018. As long as his knees stay in order, that's not that old for a D-man.
The others are mere kids, and we have more on the way... 8-)
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby Arachnid » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:26 am

Cookie La Rue wrote:
Per wrote:The real question now is how the Red Wings will react.

Zetterberg is one of their key players. Will they sit back and accept this parody of justice or will they turn all vigilante?
If Shanahan won't stop Weber from playing, maybe some Red Wing will?

There are 3 problems then:
1. He has to be a superstar.
or
2. The superstar must be sure not to injure Weber, complicated affair.
or
3. He's not a superstar but will face a lifetime ban if he's injuring Weber seriously. :lol:

I guess it's going to be a mess anyways because i don't think the Red Wings will leave him without any punishment.
This whole thing will shoot back to the NHL office soon...


Well....there is secret weapon 44....just say's... 8-)
Socks are dead puppets :(
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4900
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby Mr.Miyagi » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:23 am

So ... did anyone watch the Caps/Bruins game lastnight?

Long story short : The Bruins are a bunch of a**holes.

How they get away with their BS I will never understand. 7 penalties for both teams combined in a game that had a scrum literally after EVERY whistle. Much like the SCF, the Bruins are targeting the stars for the Caps. Namely Green, Ovechkin and Semin.

It was nice to see Ovie take some big runs at Chara. He rocked him really hard twice but of course big bad Z had to hack at him with his stick afterwards.

Man I hope the Caps can beat em'. Screw Thomas and his whopping 17 shot shutout too.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
User avatar
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby okcanuck » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:40 am

Mr.Miyagi wrote:So ... did anyone watch the Caps/Bruins game lastnight?

Long story short : The Bruins are a bunch of a**holes.

How they get away with their BS I will never understand. 7 penalties for both teams combined in a game that had a scrum literally after EVERY whistle. Much like the SCF, the Bruins are targeting the stars for the Caps. Namely Green, Ovechkin and Semin.

It was nice to see Ovie take some big runs at Chara. He rocked him really hard twice but of course big bad Z had to hack at him with his stick afterwards.

Man I hope the Caps can beat em'. Screw Thomas and his whopping 17 shot shutout too.



Ya what is it with the Bruins ? They get away with all that with no repercussions. That pane of glass of glass almost hit Thomas. The fans that pushed on the glass were obviously Democrats.

I'm with you "Go Caps Go" beat those bastards.

On a happier note at least the Shithawks lost
User avatar
okcanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am
Location: Bestwank,BC

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby Per » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:47 am

okcanuck wrote:
Mr.Miyagi wrote:So ... did anyone watch the Caps/Bruins game lastnight?

Long story short : The Bruins are a bunch of a**holes.

How they get away with their BS I will never understand. 7 penalties for both teams combined in a game that had a scrum literally after EVERY whistle. Much like the SCF, the Bruins are targeting the stars for the Caps. Namely Green, Ovechkin and Semin.

It was nice to see Ovie take some big runs at Chara. He rocked him really hard twice but of course big bad Z had to hack at him with his stick afterwards.

Man I hope the Caps can beat em'. Screw Thomas and his whopping 17 shot shutout too.



Ya what is it with the Bruins ? They get away with all that with no repercussions. That pane of glass of glass almost hit Thomas. The fans that pushed on the glass were obviously Democrats.

I'm with you "Go Caps Go" beat those bastards.

On a happier note at least the Shithawks lost


Agree with both of you.

Here's hoping Ovechkin, Semin and Bäckström can start scoring the way we know they can!
Blow a bunch of holes right through Thomas...

:drink:
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby UWSaint » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:54 am

Per wrote:Oliver Ekman-Larsson, age 20, played 31 minutes last night for the Coyotes in his first Stanley Cup playoff game ever. Most minutes of any player in that game not wearing a goalie mask.


He didn't just play those minutes. He played spectacularly well in those minutes. He's a *great* skater and obviously has the green light to jump into the play. Remember watching Karlsson's coming out in the 2009-2010 playoffs? I'm not saying Ekman-Larsson is the next Erik Karlsson, but I really like what OE-L has shown this season and he is a big reason why the Coyotes can be dangerous. Like Yandle, he can take difficult defensive assignments yet provide a lot of offense. If the Coyotes succeed in this series, he's going to be a key player, and either way, I love his future.

And I think that game showed why Phoenix can beat the Hawks. The Coyotes lack the top end talent up front, but they play hard and can roll lines (unlike Chicago, who has the top end talent but lacks depth). A defense of Yandle, OE-L, Klesla, Morris, Aucoin, and Roszival is deep and balanced from the attribute perspective, and Mike Smith is doing his best Pekka Rinne. (Yzerman must be wondering where that was last year). Tippett is a very good coach. This might be just the year that they get through the first round after once again exceeding regular season expectations.
Hono_rary Canadian
User avatar
UWSaint
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby wafflecombine » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:59 am

I was impressed with the kid in goal for Washington. He played very well. Definately cheering for the Caps.
Too bad about the Sens. They got owned last night.

And yes, watching Chicago and the Blues loose made me happy.

It should be noted that in each game I watched, I saw several snow showers and no penalties.

Hmmm..... the conspiracy grows.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby mathonwy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 am

Per wrote:Oliver Ekman-Larsson, age 20, played 31 minutes last night for the Coyotes in his first Stanley Cup playoff game ever. Most minutes of any player in that game not wearing a goalie mask.

Ekman-Larsson played a VERY strong game last night. The guy's a keeper.
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:30 am

After watching all the games so far the only game that was called in such a brutal game was the LA/Van series. I mean when you see how the refs called those other games you have to give you head a shake on the calls both against LA and Vancouver. Not one sided. For some reason it seems our series is being showcased as the one the NHL will clamp down on. Gotta wonder if this is Vancouver's reputation coming back to bite them.

Speaking of delay of game penalties, in game one when Stoll deliberately shot the puck over the boards but at the bench he avoided an automatic delay of game penalty. But is there still not discretion on those type of plays. If a player deliberately shoots the puck over the boards/glass outside the "automatic" area can he still not be called for intentional delay of game?
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3499
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby dbr » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:36 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Speaking of delay of game penalties, in game one when Stoll deliberately shot the puck over the boards but at the bench he avoided an automatic delay of game penalty. But is there still not discretion on those type of plays. If a player deliberately shoots the puck over the boards/glass outside the "automatic" area can he still not be called for intentional delay of game?


If you shoot it over the glass anywhere it's a penalty (I still remember when Bryan Allen was here, on one play he shot the puck from his own zone over the glass in the opponents zone and got a penalty for it), but the benches are okay:

When any player, while in his defending zone, shoots or bats (using his hand or his stick) the puck directly (non-deflected) out of the playing surface, except where there is no glass, a penalty shall be assessed for delaying the game. When the puck is shot into the players’ bench, the penalty will not apply. When the puck is shot over the glass ‘behind’ the players’ bench, the penalty will be assessed.


Here's hoping that Canuck defenders start aiming for Kings bench.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: OOTS 11/12 playoff edition

Postby Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:43 am

Ya I get the automatic part but are you saying the discretionary part of intentional delay when shot over is now gone? I know it is not a penalty when it goes over the bench, at least not an automatic one. But my questions is has that replaced the intentional delay of game in its entirety?
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3499
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AdsBot [Google], Bing [Bot], mathonwy and 3 guests