First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Post by Fred »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
And then Weise, MayRay and Manny being on the 4th line.
If Raymond can't cut it in the top nine , then that is his fault. He has been giftwrapped so many opportunities this season and he continually puts up weak numbers.

That 4th unit should be a bash and crash energy unit that can eat up 8 - 10 minutes and not get burned in their own zone. Raymond is fine defensively but he is softer than melted butter. The next check he throws will be his first. He HAS to be on one of the top 3 lines. Maybe he will perform with Ebbett and Reinprecht ready to step in for him if/when he falters.
Well there you are Blob we are in agreement on that, you want a 4th line to really gets to the likes of Doughty and Voynov make them look over their shoulders and hurry their passes out the zone. I can't see them getting many chances down in LA but just like they used to do with Orr dump it into his corner and then hit him and hit him hard. Raymond I' not sure what he brings that's real important, certainly not scoring, 10 goals in 55 games this season
cheers
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

ML has been pretty effective in his short stint on the wing. Anyone else interested in seeing what Lappy might do on the 2nd?

Twins - Burrows
Lapierrre - Kesler - Booth
Higgins - Pahlsson - Hansen
Bitz - Malhotra - Weise/Kassian

Raymond sits for now.

MIght be worth looking at.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote: The Kings have two regulation losses in their last fourteen games.
The Kings have three wins in their last eight games.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Doughty says they can win 4 of the next (potential) 7 though.....apparently they know our strengths and weaknesses.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Vancouver was 4th in the league in goals for this year, LA was 29th. The Canucks were 3rd in differential, LA was 11th. The Canucks were 4th in goals against this year, the Kings were 2nd. What is most telling about those stats in regards to team depth is that the Canucks only had 3 players that scored 20 or more goals. Every line can burn contribute, and when you consider that the Sedins and Kesler are all 20 points (or more) off of last season's totals, and yet the Canucks managed to play down the stretch and win the President's trophy, you can't argue with Vancouver's depth advantage. Moreover, the Canucks can move almost any player up and down the lineup and stay competitive. When your 4th line center is putting up points and scoring some nice goals every time he gets time on the 1st line, you have a really great chance of winning even when your top players aren't producing.

Another thing, the Kings may have been playing 1 goal games all year, but I wouldn't be overly quick to dismiss the number of tight games that the Canucks were forced to play in order to manage points.....oh wait, that's right. The Canucks won the MOST one-goal games of any team in the NHL this year. Oh and look at this other interesting stat......the Kings lost the MOST one-goal games of any team. TSN and ESPN analysts are raving about how Jonathan Quick and the LA Kings have been playing "playoff hockey" in one-goal games all year. I guess they missed those above stats.

The Canucks OT/Shootout record is 15-9 to the Kings 9-15.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Strangelove wrote:
Yep. There is not much reason to fear that team if the Canucks remain on their game.. but the Kings should be able to hang in games (hence the low number of regulation losses) so the Canucks will need to play a full 60 to make sure the result is never in doubt.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

coco_canuck wrote: As much as I like Kopitar and Brown, they're not as good as the Twins, and I like Carter and Richards, but the 3rd man on that line, Penner, is a liability.
Well, no surprise there; Penner is German for bum.

:lol:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Daniel not on the ice for practice. Speculation is he's had a set back.

21-33-14
7-17-40
20-26-36
27-34-9 (I think)

Daniel is supposed to talk to the media today.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Per wrote:
coco_canuck wrote: As much as I like Kopitar and Brown, they're not as good as the Twins, and I like Carter and Richards, but the 3rd man on that line, Penner, is a liability.
Well, no surprise there; Penner is German for bum.

:lol:
Penner is dutch for pannekoeken
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

tantalum wrote:Daniel not on the ice for practice. Speculation is he's had a set back.

21-33-14
7-17-40
20-26-36
27-34-9 (I think)

Daniel is supposed to talk to the media today.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392753

Damn. That was my initial impression when I read the article but I was hoping that wasn't the case. I really thought he was likely able to play a week ago but the Canucks were being extra cautious. If he's had a setback that's pretty concerning.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Daniel on the ice skating with the black aces. So if a set back hopefully not a serious one. Really hope it's gamesmanship.

edit: new prevailing theory is by having him skate with the black aces it keeps him away from the media as the locker room will be closed when he finished the skate. He wouldn't be on the ice at all if he had a set back. I think this is a bit of a finger the NHL who told the canucks they broke rules yesterday by not making Daniel available. Of course, teams don't need to make injured players available and yesterday could be interpreted as a step towards the recovery of an injured player.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

Link tant? Or something that you got cooking upstairs?
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

various twits in tweeterville on having him skate with the black aces to likely avoid media.

The reason why is mine.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

Apparently AV said it wasnt a set back so...
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

RE: Above posts, just heard same "no media availability" theory from Blake Price as well on 1040 (not that I put you in his company Tant, you're much more insightful and intelligent than that annoying dude). :)

Also on the few minutes I heard on Canucks Lunch, they had some interesting analytics on the Kings from the guy at Behind the Net (blog). Basically saying the Kings are underrated as a whole and have better possession numbers vs. the Canucks (which I think another poster alluded to in this thread).

Bottom line - surprise, surprise the Canucks will need 60 minute efforts to win the series and there is the potential for an upset. :roll:

And here I was really hoping they could get away with playing a solid 37 minutes and scrape by with 4 wins by 1 goal each just to torture us.

Of course the LA home games will require 60 minute efforts PLUS another 1.6 seconds....