Page 4 of 9

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:01 am
by Tciso
Farhan Lalji wrote:One thought I do have:

Fora few shifts on occasion, I'd like to see Kesler play RW on Hank's line. It gives the Kings a different look and it may also help Kes get his offensive game going if he's struggling at any time.
I like that idea, but to me, If Ballard is back, I'd love AV to let him off the leash to do a few rushes every game. It's not a tool that the Canucks really exploit enough imo, and I'd love to see our defense back the Kings off in the neutral zone. Ballard is probably our best rushing D-man (one great rush by Edler being the exception), and he plays better when he is allowed to carry the puck.

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:03 am
by Tciso
cjc wrote:Mike Keenan thinks LA will take the Canucks.

Asshole.
He seems to forget that this isn't the pile o'shite that he left us with.

What's Messier's prediction?

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:42 am
by Larry Goodenough
I read somewhere that LA's puck possession stats since the trade deadline were upwards of 60%. That's dominant and might speak to an uptick in their scoring. But it appears the increased scoring has also resulted in more goals against as well.

The change since the deadline was the addition of Carter (good) and the subtraction of Johnson (also good for LA). From what I can see, Carter has not played the last few games. I think I heard it was not a broke ankle, but badly bruised. I would imagine he won't be 100% to start.

The variable in all the stats is Vancouver had had nothing to play for over the last number of months, where as LA was playing for their lives.

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:45 am
by tantalum
LA's success is directly related to how well Quick plays. If he continues to struggle in the playoffs and like he arguably has down the stretch they will not stand a chance.

Anyways....Daniel is on the ice at practice. A couple of practices symptom free and he likely is good to go for game 1.edit: he is apparently taking contact.

Can't help but wonder if he has been symptom free for some time but they basically told him to just rest up as they didn't need him in the lineup.

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:46 am
by Tciso
tantalum wrote:Anyways....Daniel is on the ice at practice. A couple of practices symptom free and he likely is good to go for game 1.edit: he is apparently taking contact.

Can't help but wonder if he has been symptom free for some time but they basically told him to just rest up as they didn't need him in the lineup.
This could be an amazing year. This is the first time in recent memory where we have been relatively healthy going into the playoffs, and we have significant depth as well I just hope that we go all the way, and get to enjoy watching our health and depth provide full value. Canucks in 6.

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:55 am
by Topper
Other than Malhotra, we were healthy going into the playoffs last year.

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:57 am
by okcanuck
Last year was an amazing year as well, we just couldn't make that last little hurdle. I think were deeper, were tougher, and we have better goaltending for this years run.

Canucks in five. Take that Keenan you f---ing loser.

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:00 pm
by CorranHorn
Topper wrote:Other than Malhotra, we were healthy going into the playoffs last year.
More depth this year i'd say.

What are our lines going to be?

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:04 pm
by nuckster
So what are our lines going to look like? Does Kassian fit in on the fourth? Is Raymond back in on the second..or Lap? Our third looks strong. I'm sure hoping that the right mix comes together for the second... I know it's radical, but maybe Daniel would improve Kes and Booth's play on the second? Goodness knows that Hank and Dank were not lighting it up together prior to the head injury. BUT, maybe they're going to be 're-juvenated' for the playoffs in their typical roles together on the first? It might be interesting how this pans out...or not. What do others think?

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:08 pm
by tantalum
At practice:

22-33-14
7-17-21 (many will say Ugh but that line won't do anything until Kesler does and if Kesler is doing something Raymond won't hurt the line and against the Kings his speed may be a big asset).
20-26-36
27-40-32
(34-25-9)

2-8
23-3
29-6
(4-5)

Kassian looks to be on the sidelines for game 1 but I'd expect if Weise has an underwhelming debut Kassian will be in.

Not a fan of the Rome-Salo pairing.

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:11 pm
by nuckster
thanks Tant.

Wonder how well these lines match up against the Kings?

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:17 pm
by Madcombinepilot
meh. rome and Salo will be used as a third pairing, and we have last change. this paring will be fine on home ice.

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:31 pm
by Topper
tantalum wrote:7-17-21 (many will say Ugh but that line won't do anything until Kesler does and if Kesler is doing something Raymond won't hurt the line and against the Kings his speed may be a big asset).
I've been watching the 7-17-? line the past couple of weeks. They remind of of when the WCE tried to cycle. Far too much time on the backhand coming out of corners. It eliminates their shooting opportunities and allows the opposition to close down passing lanes.

The simple fundamental game of getting the puck to a player moving forward and getting it to his forehand has been lost, but is something the 36-26-20 line is doing very well.

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:39 pm
by Vpete
Topper wrote:
tantalum wrote:7-17-21 (many will say Ugh but that line won't do anything until Kesler does and if Kesler is doing something Raymond won't hurt the line and against the Kings his speed may be a big asset).
I've been watching the 7-17-? line the past couple of weeks. They remind of of when the WCE tried to cycle. Far too much time on the backhand coming out of corners. It eliminates their shooting opportunities and allows the opposition to close down passing lanes.

The simple fundamental game of getting the puck to a player moving forward and getting it to his forehand has been lost, but is something the 36-26-20 line is doing very well.
Winner! So bang on Topper.

Kesler has stopped playing like the power forward he played like last season. Perhaps he's playing cautious, perhaps he's nursing an injury or maybe he is trying to diversify his game. No matter what the KISS approach needs to be brought back and he can let Booth do some damage.

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:54 pm
by Aaronp18
Topper wrote:Other than Malhotra, we were healthy going into the playoffs last year.
Edler was coming off back surgery though and likely wasn't in any type of game shape.