First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: First round playoff match up - LA Kings

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Thr problem with that line is they have nobody who can pass them the puck. they need a passer to play those pucks so they (Kes and Booth) can skate onto them with speed and power...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Vpete wrote: Winner! So bang on Topper.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Higgins is the best set up man on the team. Hank is by far the best passer but Higgins is by far the best puck retriever. He is probably the most fit athlete on the team and creates so many opportunities with his relentless checking style. It's one the main reasons why both the 2nd and 3rd line enjoys so much success when he's on it.

I'd like to see AV stick with the 20-26-36 line as it causes a lot of problems for the opponents no matter who it is.

I'd like to see Lappy stick on the 2nd line. I think his SCUD missile fore checking style is a better fit with Booth and Kes then MayRay's waterbug-falling-down style.

And then Weise, MayRay and Manny being on the 4th line.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:Other than Malhotra, we were healthy going into the playoffs last year.
In our last game against Calgary last year, Regher threw a vicious crosscheck into Hank's lower back/ribs. Henrik battled through that injury for 4 rounds of playoff hockey.

There were a few players who were less than a 100%. The "healthy" lineup was a bit of a smoke screen.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Topper wrote:Other than Malhotra, we were healthy going into the playoffs last year.
Edler was coming off back surgery though and likely wasn't in any type of game shape.
And didn't Samuelsson eventually sit because of an abdominal injury he'd been nursing for some time?
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Here's a recent line-up for the Kings. Word is that Carter will be back from his injury and will be playing alongside Richards on the second line. Their first two lines look awesome - ya have to wonder how they finished in 8th!? Is their defense their achilles heal?

-Jonathan Quick.
--Jonathan Bernier.
DEFENSE PAIRINGS:
--Rob Scuderi, Drew Doughty.
--Willie Mitchell, Slava Voynov.
--Alec Martinez, Matt Greene.
FIRST LINE:
--LW Brad Richardson, C Anze Kopitar, RW Dustin Brown.
SECOND LINE:
--LW Dwight King, C Mike Richards, RW Justin Williams.
THIRD LINE:
--LW Dustin Penner, C Jarret Stoll, RW Trevor Lewis.
FOURTH LINE:
--LW Kyle Clifford, C Colin Fraser, RW Jordan Nolan.
cc oldtimer
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Vpete wrote:Kesler has stopped playing like the power forward he played like last season. Perhaps he's playing cautious, perhaps he's nursing an injury or maybe he is trying to diversify his game. No matter what the KISS approach needs to be brought back and he can let Booth do some damage.
Remember all the talk last season about the 20 bazillion pucks a day Kesler was shooting during the off season. That is a big chunk of what is missing from his game.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mëds wrote:
In our last game against Calgary last year, Regher threw a vicious crosscheck into Hank's lower back/ribs. Henrik battled through that injury for 4 rounds of playoff hockey.

There were a few players who were less than a 100%. The "healthy" lineup was a bit of a smoke screen.
.......and do we know who is nursing what know?

unknown unknowns
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

11 players moderate to severe injuries in scf...iirc. the rest were bumps and bruises to minor injuries...

Injuries cost us the cup ....all the rest ..reffing etc..if our way would have helped win it, but it was all 1 frikken game too much for our boys...this year..whoknows.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:
Mëds wrote:

.......and do we know who is nursing what know?

unknown unknowns
I think Luo had a nuse.... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Edler was coming off back surgery though and likely wasn't in any type of game shape.
IIRC, weren't there accounts post-playoffs that Samuelsson was hurt before the post-season began? He tried to play through it, but couldn't.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

For sure we are a deeper team this except on D. Ehrhoff out and Ballard still nursing his concussion. Our depth on D is all of Tanev, MAG and Alberts. We really cannot sustain any serious injuries to our 1-5 on D.

One of my hopes on deadline day was that we pick up a guy like Gill for the back end. Yes, slow, but a steady reliable hard hitting D could go a long way to helping keep the back end playing, someone who can do PK work and the hard hitting. But we have what we have and it is what it is.

I feel good about the goaltending and the forward mix, if we can get the 2nd line producing, hell if the 1st line produces, but the back end is our potential Achilles heel.

I think Dank has been symptom free for most of his time off. I suspect the Canucks playing a little possum here. Shutting him down was not only required by NHL protocol but I think they made the decision to be overly cautious and at the same time they were trying to be a little coy.

Of course I thought they were doing that with Ballard so what do I know.

As far as the forward combinations go I agree that Booth and Kesler need a play maker. But I also think Kesler has another gear or two and will crank it up come Wednesday. Booth should be pumped for his first ever playoff game.

If Dank is ready to go he may be chomping at the bit, as well as well rested and that could make a difference.

The bottom two lines will be fine. Here is the depth we didn't have last year. A whole lot of choices for the 4th line and a number of players that can move and down the line up as needed. Oh, and a pretty good goddamn shut down line.

Staying as healthy as possible is something every team has to be concerned about each year. We are an example of how devastating the injuries can be when they begin to pile up. This year we look to be starting relatively strong again, unlike a team like Washington that desperately need goaltending.

We will see on Wednesday how badly we want it.
The only HW the Canucks need
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

And I'll point out Willie Mitchell has been on the Kings powerplay alot this year and was out there on the 2nd unit in the 3rd period of game 82.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Thr problem with that line is they have nobody who can pass them the puck. they need a passer to play those pucks so they (Kes and Booth) can skate onto them with speed and power...
YOu got that right. How they put two shooters on the same lines makes you stop and think. Remember when Sundin played at centre with Kesler :P
cheers
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Staples Centre schedule

Apr 13 - Lakers
Apr 14 - Clippers
Apr 15- Kings vs Van
Apr 16 - Clippers
Apr 17 - Lakers
Apr 18 - Kings vs Van
Apr 19-21 - Mana (Latin's top touring band)
Apr 22 - Lakers and Clippers
Apr 24 - Kings vs Van (if needed)

So the ice will be uncovered for less than 24 hours before the first 2 games. Expect crappy ice and a resulting conservative game play from both sides. If it gets to game 6, the ice will have had a whole day uncovered, but would have been covered for 5 days beforehand.

Bad ice always favours the less talented team.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

mathonwy wrote:
And then Weise, MayRay and Manny being on the 4th line.
If Raymond can't cut it in the top nine , then that is his fault. He has been giftwrapped so many opportunities this season and he continually puts up weak numbers.

That 4th unit should be a bash and crash energy unit that can eat up 8 - 10 minutes and not get burned in their own zone. Raymond is fine defensively but he is softer than melted butter. The next check he throws will be his first. He HAS to be on one of the top 3 lines. Maybe he will perform with Ebbett and Reinprecht ready to step in for him if/when he falters.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”