Ryan Clowe's Caught Cheating and Not By His Wife...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Ryan Clowe's Caught Cheating and Not By His Wife...

Post by Arachnid »

Wow, unbelievable that a professional athlete would do this, it could change the fate of the Sharks and Kings post-season.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le2394037/

Cheaters gonna cheat, but that was almost worse than what Duncan did to Daniel, it was blatant intent to change the outcome of a game and then he denies it ever even happened.

I bet the NHL buries this like nothing ever happened. Playoffs are around the corner and Buttman doesn't want any distractions in his conspiracy of keeping a Canadian team from wining the Cup 8-)

I kinda hope we play the Sharks in the first round now so we can use this to our psychological advantage :twisted:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Ryan Clowe's Caught Cheating and Not By His Wife...

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Gesus Christ. A guy did that at Planet Ice in a game a few years back and that was bad enough- I think somone two handed him later in the back of the leg :sly: . What an absolute bush league thing to do
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Game was tied 5 all at that time, how did four blind mice not see that. I would give the Kings the game as a penalty
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Arachnid wrote:Wow, unbelievable that a professional athlete would do this, it could change the fate of the Sharks and Kings post-season.

Cheaters gonna cheat, but that was almost worse than what Duncan did to Daniel, it was blatant intent to change the outcome of a game and then he denies it ever even happened.
Totally, Daniel has to sit in the dark room with his future in question. Clowe? His play could have resulted in a too many men penalty, with Stoll's feelings hurt. I can totally see how this is almost worse than injuring a player with a check to the head.
:roll:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Wow, unbelievable that a professional athlete would do this, it could change the fate of the Sharks and Kings post-season.

Totally, Daniel has to sit in the dark room with his future in question. Clowe? His play could have resulted in a too many men penalty, with Stoll's feelings hurt. I can totally see how this is almost worse than injuring a player with a check to the head.
:roll:
Keith was extolling revenge on an illegal check that Danny S made on him without penalty (the refs fucked up there). What was Clowe's excuse? His motivation? Was he extracting revenge for a random Canuck fan that can't even can't even string two brain cells together?
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Arachnid wrote:Keith was extolling revenge on an illegal check that Danny S made on him without penalty (the refs fucked up there).

What was Clowe's excuse? His motivation?
If you want to look at excuses, I would say wanting to win a hockey game is far more excusable than wanting to injure a guys brain because the zebras missed a call.

They are two fundamentally different kinds of fouls.. attempting to subvert the rules of a hockey game compared to an assault, apples and oranges really.

I agree with you that Clowe's foul seriously undermines the integrity of the game if it goes unpunished (they should give him the same penalty they'd give for leaving the bench to join an altercation :D), but it still had to do with a hockey game.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Nonpunishable now.

2 min Too many men during the game. After the fact, nothing. There is no mechanism in the rules to now punish Clowe, though Lowe may want to give him $10K
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

dbr wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Keith was extolling revenge on an illegal check that Danny S made on him without penalty (the refs fucked up there).

What was Clowe's excuse? His motivation?
If you want to look at excuses, I would say wanting to win a hockey game is far more excusable than wanting to injure a guys brain because the zebras missed a call.

They are two fundamentally different kinds of fouls.. attempting to subvert the rules of a hockey game compared to an assault, apples and oranges really.

I agree with you that Clowe's foul seriously undermines the integrity of the game if it goes unpunished (they should give him the same penalty they'd give for leaving the bench to join an altercation :D), but it still had to do with a hockey game.
And what of Daniels transgression? If Keith was concussed on that play and make no mistake, he could have been, then there would have been a big outcry from the CHicago contingent but because the officials blew it Duncan put it on himself for justice. It is exactly the same argument for Moore/Naslund/Bertuzzi only we are the team wearing the rose colour glasses now...

Suspend Daniel Sedin until the playoffs! I want justice!!!

Elite athletes are role models for our youth, they are (over)paid to be the best at what they do.
Too many men on the ice is usually a mistake and not on purpose.'Usually'.
Leaving the bench to protect outnumbered or outsized teammates is even understandable but the blatant cheating of a player to change the dynamics of a game with a playoff seed on the line is sending what message?...if the NHL doesn't send the right message here it is saying a lot...those of us that think this is the right values to show our hockey loving children probably cheat on their wives/girlfriends/boyfriends and/or taxes....but then again, it's corporate hockey...not exactly the grounds for righteousness...
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Arachnid wrote: Keith was extolling revenge on an illegal check that Danny S made on him without penalty (the refs fucked up there). What was Clowe's excuse? His motivation?
He was trying to win the hockey game.

Dumb play because 90% of the time he gets called for that and puts his team down by 2, but I think it's pretty naive to think that most pro athletes wouldn't bend the rules a little to win a big game.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Arachnid wrote: Keith was extolling revenge on an illegal check that Danny S made on him without penalty (the refs fucked up there). What was Clowe's excuse? His motivation?
He was trying to win the hockey game.

Dumb play because 90% of the time he gets called for that and puts his team down by 2, but I think it's pretty naive to think that most pro athletes wouldn't bend the rules a little to win a big game.
:look: Ummmm...Aren't all of them trying to win a hockey game? Only they are following the rules on the ice and not cheating after they left the play....

From the bench. He played the puck moving in an offensive position at a critical time of the game.

NHL Rule 33.1 clearly states 'Any player that interferes with the play while not being and active part nor on ice at the time shall be designated a weenie and a poor loser'.

OK, so there are no rules on this, and it is just a regular season game, it's not like it was a foot in the crease...during game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final and it certainly didn't involve/affect the Canucks...not yet at least... 8-)

If I guy did that in my league, I'd take justice in my own hands...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Arachnid wrote:And what of Daniels transgression? If Keith was concussed on that play and make no mistake, he could have been, then there would have been a big outcry from the CHicago contingent but because the officials blew it Duncan put it on himself for justice. It is exactly the same argument for Moore/Naslund/Bertuzzi only we are the team wearing the rose colour glasses now...

Suspend Daniel Sedin until the playoffs! I want justice!!!
Daniel's hit was a grey area type of play in this league, it happens a few times a week and injuries (and penalties - let alone suspensions) are rare. If Daniel had been penalized for that hit - a less egregious foul than the one that Getlaf laid on Hamhuis last with no penalty, and did concuss him - I would've thought it was pretty much acceptable.

That being said the zebras missed it and Keith responded by doing something ten times worse.

Anyway if you want to buy the revenge angle that's fine, does that mean you would've been okay with another clock malfunction at the Staples center to nullify a Sharks chance?
Elite athletes are role models for our youth, they are (over)paid to be the best at what they do.
So whose a better role model today, Ryan Clowe or Duncan Keith?
Too many men on the ice is usually a mistake and not on purpose.'Usually'.
Leaving the bench to protect outnumbered or outsized teammates is even understandable but the blatant cheating of a player to change the dynamics of a game with a playoff seed on the line is sending what message?...if the NHL doesn't send the right message here it is saying a lot...those of us that think this is the right values to show our hockey loving children probably cheat on their wives/girlfriends/boyfriends and/or taxes....but then again, it's corporate hockey...not exactly the grounds for righteousness...
No, it's not. And word is there will be no supplemental discipline.

It looks terrible on the league and like I said elsewhere it shows they need to either give the zebras the ability to go back and watch video of a play like that (or have a coaches challenge or whatever), or the league needs to give themselves power to use supplemental discipline in previously unforeseen scenarios like this one. At least, if they want to wield a big stick the next time someone finds a new way to cheat.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Arachnid wrote:If I guy did that in my league, I'd take justice in my own hands...
So it sounds like breaking the rules is totally unacceptable and setting a poor example - unless someone else does it first.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I love that he did it and got away with it. Sort of reminds me of a fan throwing a sweater on the ice just as a Flame was about to score into an empty Canuck net causing said Flame to miss the net and then we score on the follow up play to tie the game and send it to OT.

Love plays like that.

We could have used someone coming off our bench last night.
The only HW the Canucks need
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Arachnid wrote: :look: Ummmm...Aren't all of them trying to win a hockey game? Only they are following the rules on the ice and not cheating after they left the play....
Is it not cheating to dive and or embellish in order to get a penalty called against the other team?

Half our team does that sort of thing from time to time.

Was Ryan Kesler doing the "chicken wing" to Shea Weber in the playoffs last year not "cheating (or at best terrible sportsmanship)

Dumb play by Clowe, but you are way over reacting.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Arachnid wrote: :look: Ummmm...Aren't all of them trying to win a hockey game? Only they are following the rules on the ice and not cheating after they left the play....
Is it not cheating to dive and or embellish in order to get a penalty called against the other team?

Half our team does that sort of thing from time to time.

Was Ryan Kesler doing the "chicken wing" to Shea Weber in the playoffs last year not "cheating (or at best terrible sportsmanship)

Dumb play by Clowe, but you are way over reacting.
I think that is the point :D
The only HW the Canucks need