The Sedin & Keith Affair

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: The Sedin & Keith Affair

Post by Topper »

Throughout this whole discussion, it has been reported that Shanahan is on record saying he does not believe punishment is a deterrent. He looks more at a education process, videos of what is accepted and what isn't as an example, to change the behaviour of the players.

The penalty handed out to Keith was exactly along the lines of other punishments handed out so far. It was the wild inconsistencies and lack of transparency that drove us nuts with Campbell's decision process. Shanahan has gone miles to correct that.

Maybe peoples expectation went up when the hearing was changed from telephone to in person. That decision just gave Shanahan more leeway if more info had come to light. At the end of the day, Keith is a first time offender, was contrite in his admission that the hit was out of line (unlike a certain Rat face bear with a misspelled tattoo on his chest) and was apologetic to his victim. Other than hauling himself out back, whipping himself with rose bushes and accepting Christ as his Savior, Duncan could not have shown more signs of contrition.

What next, a discussion on weather the behaviour is genetic or culturally instilled by coaching from the minors upward?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Doesn't it seem like we're fated to play the Blackhawks again in the post season?

All of this bullshit leads me to believe that we'll be dancing with the Chelsea faggers again soon.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Arachnid wrote:Concussed! http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=391442

Have a nice 5 game rest Duncan....see you in the playoffs, hopefully...watch out for retribution Canuck style in the form of 33... 8-)
From the article:
However, Vigneault dismissed the severity of Daniel Sedin's hit on Keith.

"The only surprise there was that Danny hit someone," said Vigneault with a slight chuckle. "I'm not sure exactly what happened on that, because Danny and Hank aren't the guys that are the most physical across the league. They'll throw the odd hit in there, but usually it's not a bone-crushing hit."
Ahh AV, there's a certain charm in a coach who is willing to mock his injured player..
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Topper wrote:Throughout this whole discussion, it has been reported that Shanahan is on record saying he does not believe punishment is a deterrent. He looks more at a education process, videos of what is accepted and what isn't as an example, to change the behaviour of the players.

The penalty handed out to Keith was exactly along the lines of other punishments handed out so far. It was the wild inconsistencies and lack of transparency that drove us nuts with Campbell's decision process. Shanahan has gone miles to correct that.

Maybe peoples expectation went up when the hearing was changed from telephone to in person. That decision just gave Shanahan more leeway if more info had come to light. At the end of the day, Keith is a first time offender, was contrite in his admission that the hit was out of line (unlike a certain Rat face bear with a misspelled tattoo on his chest) and was apologetic to his victim. Other than hauling himself out back, whipping himself with rose bushes and accepting Christ as his Savior, Duncan could not have shown more signs of contrition.

What next, a discussion on weather the behaviour is genetic or culturally instilled by coaching from the minors upward?
Shanny's consistency on previous shots to the head like the Keith one, is about the only thing the NHL can salvage from their past disciplinary actions. It's a hard and thankless job and I for one would like to see it continue. Now if the NHL takes a few more lessons from the NFL instead of the NBA, the league would be a much better product for the paying fans to watch, both on and off the ice.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Topper wrote:Throughout this whole discussion, it has been reported that Shanahan is on record saying he does not believe punishment is a deterrent. He looks more at a education process, videos of what is accepted and what isn't as an example, to change the behaviour of the players.

2 points.

Well maybe 1.85 points.

You shouldn't be so dismissive of public flagellation.
Hono_rary Canadian
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Under normal circumstances I would agree but something that was missed and its a damn shame that Ron Mclean brought up was the fact Keith "isn't a first time offender". HNIC had tape of Keith doing the exact same thing to Matt Cooke last year. Hit happened... Keith got angry and then later came in, led with the elbow and took Cookie right in the head.

2 min penalty but nothing else. Cooke didn't sustain injury but lets face it, Cooke's head is rock hard (and I kinda always liked the cookie monster when he played for us).

Bottom line, If Shanny wants to dig he can find precedent. If he wants to find audio confirmation of the threats made, he can find it. How many parabolic mikes are in a building at any given time trained on the players..... how much jawing between benches is heard.

Either way, if Shanny wanted precedent and evidence, it was there for the taking and given Chicago's schedule at that exact moment, he had the time to go looking for it.

meh, can't change the past. Hopefully we can send that POS (Keith) a signed photo of Daniel drinking from the cup, after scoring the winning goal in the SCF. "Wish you were here bitch, Best Regards, D"
:devil:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Repeat offender is a very specific term in the context of supplemental discipline, though - to be a repeat offender Keith would have to have a prior suspension (not a prior two minute penalty where he was lucky not to injure the player he elbowed) and it would have to be within eighteen months.

So for example as of the start of next season Matt freaking Cooke will no longer be a repeat offender in the eyes of the league.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Injured Vancouver Canuck scorer Daniel Sedin should be ready for the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs in two weeks, general manager Mike Gillis confirmed Thursday.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Canuck ... story.html
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I see Chicago continues to sit out Duncan Keith, his suspension is over but he was missing in the Minny game yesterday for sure
cheers
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

...last nights game was the the teams 5th since Keith was suspended.

I imagine he plays Thursday.
DeLevering since 1999.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

dbr wrote:Repeat offender is a very specific term in the context of supplemental discipline, though - to be a repeat offender Keith would have to have a prior suspension (not a prior two minute penalty where he was lucky not to injure the player he elbowed) and it would have to be within eighteen months.

So for example as of the start of next season Matt freaking Cooke will no longer be a repeat offender in the eyes of the league.
It's still Bulls**t.
Make the offending player's team sit out a player of equal value to the player that gets injured on a flagrant "intent to injure" penalty.

Daniel out for 15 games? - Chicago loses Kane or Toews for 15 games. I'll bet you won't see that kind of crap again
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Well well we'll...looks like the rest of the NHL is beginning to look at it from a Canuck perspective....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le2402938/
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

"That was 2010, back when I had 11 of my teeth left. I'm down to 4 now. I lost 5 of them ironically enough by elbowing myself in the face while brushing my teeth," explains Keith.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/03/23 ... e-results/

:?

1) Daniel shouldn't take the elbow to the face personally, Keith does it even to himself

2) Keith must suffer from hypermobility of his joints. There's no way a normal person can elbow himself in the face by accident and knock five teeth out. :hmmm:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SonofaBure
AHL Prospect

Post by SonofaBure »

mathonwy wrote:Doesn't it seem like we're fated to play the Blackhawks again in the post season?

All of this bullshit leads me to believe that we'll be dancing with the Chelsea faggers again soon.

:oops:
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I'm not even going to hide this:

Raffi Torres just absolutely obliterated Marian Hossa and Hossa is in the hospital.

Good riddance.

Having said that, the NHL had better wake up.