The Switch and the plan

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The Switch and the plan

Post by donlever »

Zedlee wrote:I don't believe the Canucks are deliberately taking it easy and "saving" themselves for the playoffs. To me the Canucks are simply a tired team with nothing to play for at this point, so that extra 10% effort is not there.
They are not taking it easy, nor saving themselves but are tired and have nothing to play for so are not giving the effort required to compete and win?

Not one and the same thing Zedlee?

Or because the lack of effort is not a "conscious choice" is the reasoning behind your belief?
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Larry Goodenough wrote:Gillis was on 1040 yesterday. He pretty much admitted to playing possum and said he expects the team to "start ramping up for the playoffs starting tomorrow".
Dey be playin a little rope-a-dope is all y'all! Dey be floatin like butterflies then but dey be stingin like bees tonight OH YAH, Sedin Shuffle back to tantalize hypnotize demoralize victimize cuz

Canucks ARE the greatest! 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Tiger wrote:Arachnid said:

I
s it really hard for fans to just stfu and go with 'the plan?' Even season ticket holders? Really? Isn't that short sighted? Selfish? Shelfish?!
LOL.. its ok by me as I am now just changing channels .. but remember shelling out big bucks ..travelling from the Island, renting hotel rooms , buying blue line tics..to take my oldest to a "mailed in game"...And YEAH I WAS PISSED OFF !..

Maybe the fans should not be too worried as the Nucks will win the division anyway.. but maybe they should emulate the players and not show up at the game..
Agreed, it is a hard pill to swallow and any other year I wouldn't give them a pass but you have only two questions to answer...do you want them to have the best shot at the Cup....or do you want them to give 110% win at any cost in a meaningless game...if you're answer is the later then you are a Leaf fan 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: I've been playing hockey all my life. Now in my 40's I do not have the stamina to keep up with the 20 year olds, I have to rely on my tricks and experience, my hockey brains, the young ones run circles around me and never seem to tire. I play 12 minutes a game and I am just as productive if not more so given my positioning and defensive play...my point being, as fans, think with your Canuckleheads instead of your Vancouver Dicks, it's a hell of a lot smarter...and the results can be more rewarding...
“The man who views the world at 40 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 20 years of his life.” :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

donlever wrote:
Zedlee wrote:I don't believe the Canucks are deliberately taking it easy and "saving" themselves for the playoffs. To me the Canucks are simply a tired team with nothing to play for at this point, so that extra 10% effort is not there.
They are not taking it easy, nor saving themselves but are tired and have nothing to play for so are not giving the effort required to compete and win?

Not one and the same thing Zedlee?

Or because the lack of effort is not a "conscious choice" is the reasoning behind your belief?
Hey Lever,
(Johnny Canuck here from the old board).
I dunno, honestly. Who does? Everyone is looking for answers and we're all just guessing at this point. The players say the same things, game after game, and nothing changes. We'll find out soon enough if they can "flip the switch...but it's been an alarmingly long time since they played really well. Tonight would be a good time to start.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote: I've been playing hockey all my life. Now in my 40's I do not have the stamina to keep up with the 20 year olds, I have to rely on my tricks and experience, my hockey brains, the young ones run circles around me and never seem to tire. I play 12 minutes a game and I am just as productive if not more so given my positioning and defensive play...my point being, as fans, think with your Canuckleheads instead of your Vancouver Dicks, it's a hell of a lot smarter...and the results can be more rewarding...
“The man who views the world at 40 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 20 years of his life.” :mex:
:lol: Their Pagans all look the same to me 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Good thread Donnie! By the way, I'm only a hundred years late in saying, 'good to see you again!' (ok, maybe a month late or so).

It was a good article that you posted and I'm keenly interested to see how this plays out; tonight should be a telling indication one way or another. In another thread i was accusing the Sedins of being 'limp dicks' of late... I hope that it comes to bear that it is me that is in fact that being a limp dick for prematurely .... ejaculating my .... Ok, let me put it another way, I would like to see myself proven wrong re: Sedins being impotent these days (i wonder what Freud would make of this submission?)

Cheers
cc oldtimer
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Zedlee wrote: Hey Lever,
(Johnny Canuck here from the old board).
I dunno, honestly. Who does? Everyone is looking for answers and we're all just guessing at this point. The players say the same things, game after game, and nothing changes. We'll find out soon enough if they can "flip the switch...but it's been an alarmingly long time since they played really well. Tonight would be a good time to start.
Hiya Johnny.

Thanks for letting me know, never would have guessed.

Indeed, tonight would be nice to start but I'm not holding my breath.

I can see Luongo having a tough night.

I mean why would his game turn around at the snap of a finger?

It's generally a slower process for him.
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

nuckster wrote:Good thread Donnie! By the way, I'm only a hundred years late in saying, 'good to see you again!' (ok, maybe a month late or so).

Cheers
Hey nuckster.

Yes let's hope the Sedins play like they can as we move forward.

Cheers indeed.
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Indeed, tonight would be nice to start but I'm not holding my breath.
:shock:

Listen yo if ya gots-ta-know I’s be givin da blow-by-blow. Fo sho bro! Zombie act? Dey’ll let it go, and undergo a morphio! No more lyin-low & tipsy-toe, they’ll go to-and-fro & toe-to-toe, whoopin ev’ry so-and-so in Chick-ah-go! 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote:
donlever wrote: Indeed, tonight would be nice to start but I'm not holding my breath.
:shock:

Listen yo if ya gots-ta-know I’s be givin da blow-by-blow. Fo sho bro! Zombie act? Dey’ll let it go, and undergo a morphio! No more lyin-low & tipsy-toe, they’ll go to-and-fro & toe-to-toe, whoopin ev’ry so-and-so in Chick-ah-go! 8-)
Alllllrighty then...

Next on tonights shoe....
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Alllllrighty then...

I pity the fool that's gotta follow that act!
____
Try to focus on someday.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote:
donlever wrote: Alllllrighty then...

I pity the fool that's gotta follow that act!

:lol:
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Arachnid wrote: Yeah well, did the 'calculated risk' of playing their hearts and bodies out all season long and for meaningless trophies last year work when it came to game 7?! ( or game 3, 4 & 6?!)

How 'bout no.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

President's Trophy versus Stanley Cup.....

Best of 30 teams through 82 games and 6.5 months..... Best of 16 teams through 28 (at most) games and 2 months.
Edge - President's.

Dealing with inconsistent officiating.....Dealing with consistently poor officiating.
Edge - President's.

Being remembered for winning it.
Edge - Lord Stanely

Obviously the last one is what counts the most, I just hate that people dismiss the President's Trophy, the Campbell Trophy, a Division Title, and a Conference Title, as being meaningless just because you didn't win the Stanley Cup. The fact of the matter is that when you look at it rationally, the Canucks came way closer to "winning it all" than Boston did. The Bruin's ended up with less hardware than Vancouver did last year, they just happened to win the last one, and they didn't do it cleanly.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

Meaningless no...

But...

...the fact that every one of us, and every one of them, would trade all of those, for that.

Well, you know where I am going.
DeLevering since 1999.