OK, So What I have been told

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: OK, So What I have been told

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:27 pm

ESQ wrote: That's actually a very common perception around the country, and it really pisses me off, because the only way a "fan base" is judged is by the media's portrayal of the fans.

That's funny. I don't judge the majority of Calgary Flames fans by Bruce Dowbiggen or Eric Francis.

I go to D'Arcy McGrath's shithouse of a message board to see what the Flames fans are really like. You can get a way better guage going to fan message boards and counting the retards that post there than you can reading some pencil necked hack that has never played a sport in his life.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby CorranHorn » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:31 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ESQ wrote: That's actually a very common perception around the country, and it really pisses me off, because the only way a "fan base" is judged is by the media's portrayal of the fans.

That's funny. I don't judge the majority of Calgary Flames fans by Bruce Dowbiggen or Eric Francis.

I go to D'Arcy McGrath's shithouse of a message board to see what the Flames fans are really like. You can get a way better guage going to fan message boards and counting the retards that post there than you can reading some pencil necked hack that has never played a sport in his life.

So its a paradox.

In other words, the fans of other teams who believe that the views of the media in this city reflect the views of the fans in this city are the same fans who share the views of the media in there town?

EG: Tornto fans who think that we think like TG are the same people who think like *insert Toronto asshole here*

EDIT: spelling
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Postby Reefer2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:41 pm

I recently attended an event where a couple senior people from the Canucks organization (no players) attended and purely from the point that things were said off the record and I am not one to kiss and tell I will summarize as follows:

• Yes they (the team) are aware of who did not play well, no player was mentioned specifically, and they do not see this happening again Friday.
• The coaching staff is very active in meeting with players when they may not have played as well as expected. What you see on TV is nothing like what happens behind closed doors (me paraphrasing again)
• Players are harder on themselves more than fans realize.
• Interesting but each player can get a copy of a video that shows their entire game shift by shift so they can work on areas that need improvement.
• Expect to see some changes that will occur for the next game
• Sedin is expected to play this series but ONLY if he is 100% healthy, the Canucks as an organization will always put the players health in front of the team.
• There was a meeting with all GM, AGM and coaches before the playoffs about what is not acceptable and there was a lot of references to a certain Pitts/Philly game
• After very game they do speak with the NHL official who has been assigned to their series about the refs and the game, expect adjustments for the next game
• The management was totally surprised about the riots when it occurred
• They feel the Canucks is one of the best organizations in pro sports in NA that is active in the community such as Canuck Place and other things they do.
• Nothing new/different on the Luongo/CS front
• CS should get a start (not just because Luongo plays bad but they could play 28 games in the playoffs and they need both goalies going), they also admitted maybe they could have done things differently last season in the finals.
• They do feel that Luongo gets too much unfair criticism
• The “hate” the Nucks get has many reasons and some if it may be based upon jealousy from eastern media as the Canucks have had some very successful years in the past decade. Same as what we heard before, i.e. everyone loves a loser, winners are never really liked (me paraphrasing again)
• I like this one, Canucks are not Canada’s team, no problem, they never asked to be Canada’s team.
• Loose lips sinks ships, remember that saying from WWII, I am paraphrasing again but you will never hear a lot from the Canucks regardless of what the media wants because the opposing team will use it to their advantage as well (do you ever listen to the 1040 crew go on and on about how NHL teams should be upfront with injury reports)

Overall nothing really different than we have heard before but it was interesting to hear them speak, I will say based upon these 2 gentlemen you can see that they are very business savvy and I do feel more confident that with the Aquilinies as the owners and MG as the GM, this team will continue to be competitive for years to come. They do look long term and do understand what it takes to be successful in the NHL both on and off the ice. I have felt that in last few years ownership/management has significantly improved and even though this was only 1 meeting they did nothing to dispel that notion.
Reefer2
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Luongo:

Interesting stuff. He is going through some serious relationship shit, on again off again kinda stuff, right now it is on again which may explain his poor play ( :D :D :D ) Although the Canucks will publicly deny this, if a trade could have been made deadline day he may have been gone. Their preference at this point is to keep Cory and try to help Luongo get back to the East. Discussions were held with at least two teams, don't know which two and it could be that the foundation is being laid for an off season deal. The Canucks absolutely love Cory, everything about him and do not want to trade him.

His wife better leave him alone till mid June!!!
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby rats19 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:19 pm

"You love your stupid game more than you love me" oh the pool needs cleaning again too ;)
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby cjc » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Reefer2 wrote:I recently attended an event where a couple senior people from the Canucks organization (no players) attended and purely from the point that things were said off the record and I am not one to kiss and tell I will summarize as follows:

• Yes they (the team) are aware of who did not play well, no player was mentioned specifically, and they do not see this happening again Friday.
• The coaching staff is very active in meeting with players when they may not have played as well as expected. What you see on TV is nothing like what happens behind closed doors (me paraphrasing again)
• Players are harder on themselves more than fans realize.
• Interesting but each player can get a copy of a video that shows their entire game shift by shift so they can work on areas that need improvement.
• Expect to see some changes that will occur for the next game
• Sedin is expected to play this series but ONLY if he is 100% healthy, the Canucks as an organization will always put the players health in front of the team.
• There was a meeting with all GM, AGM and coaches before the playoffs about what is not acceptable and there was a lot of references to a certain Pitts/Philly game
• After very game they do speak with the NHL official who has been assigned to their series about the refs and the game, expect adjustments for the next game
• The management was totally surprised about the riots when it occurred
• They feel the Canucks is one of the best organizations in pro sports in NA that is active in the community such as Canuck Place and other things they do.
• Nothing new/different on the Luongo/CS front
• CS should get a start (not just because Luongo plays bad but they could play 28 games in the playoffs and they need both goalies going), they also admitted maybe they could have done things differently last season in the finals.
• They do feel that Luongo gets too much unfair criticism
• The “hate” the Nucks get has many reasons and some if it may be based upon jealousy from eastern media as the Canucks have had some very successful years in the past decade. Same as what we heard before, i.e. everyone loves a loser, winners are never really liked (me paraphrasing again)
• I like this one, Canucks are not Canada’s team, no problem, they never asked to be Canada’s team.
• Loose lips sinks ships, remember that saying from WWII, I am paraphrasing again but you will never hear a lot from the Canucks regardless of what the media wants because the opposing team will use it to their advantage as well (do you ever listen to the 1040 crew go on and on about how NHL teams should be upfront with injury reports)

Overall nothing really different than we have heard before but it was interesting to hear them speak, I will say based upon these 2 gentlemen you can see that they are very business savvy and I do feel more confident that with the Aquilinies as the owners and MG as the GM, this team will continue to be competitive for years to come. They do look long term and do understand what it takes to be successful in the NHL both on and off the ice. I have felt that in last few years ownership/management has significantly improved and even though this was only 1 meeting they did nothing to dispel that notion.

I'm sure things are very different behind closed doors than what is seen publicly. That's the way it should be. I don't see why fans and media seem to think everything has to be laid out for all to see. This is still a workplace and no one would want their own performance or management's view of it blurted out to the world. Privacy should be respected no matter the "entertainment" business. There are always boundaries.

Thank God no one is pushing Daniel. I think Gillis went through enough as a player to not want to see those playing for him screwed. Agree on the criticism of Luongo too. Things Schneider does that fans react too with an "ooh, aah" gets Luo roasted for days (i.e. stick-handling giveaways). I think a rotation would do the team good these playoffs.

Only surprise from what you wrote was the organization being surprised by the riots. Obviously few of them were here in '94 and probably never walked through the downtown core like I did during last year's finals. I told lots of people that it was a mess down there, not Olympic crowds at all, and that we were one incident away from a complete breakdown. I know plenty of others saw it too. The surprise from the police - who had officers down there dealing with the numbnuts throughout - was astounding.

Oh yes, players being harder on themselves than people think. Believe that 100%. You only have to know anyone who plays competitively to understand that. My bantam-aged son is awful. Couldn't imagine him dealing with the pressures of the pro game.
cjc
CC Veteran

Postby Arachnid » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:19 pm

cjc wrote:I'm sure things are very different behind closed doors than what is seen publicly. That's the way it should be. I don't see why fans and media seem to think everything has to be laid out for all to see. This is still a workplace and no one would want their own performance or management's view of it blurted out to the world. Privacy should be respected no matter the "entertainment" business. There are always boundaries.

Thank God no one is pushing Daniel. I think Gillis went through enough as a player to not want to see those playing for him screwed. Agree on the criticism of Luongo too. Things Schneider does that fans react too with an "ooh, aah" gets Luo roasted for days (i.e. stick-handling giveaways). I think a rotation would do the team good these playoffs.

Only surprise from what you wrote was the organization being surprised by the riots. Obviously few of them were here in '94 and probably never walked through the downtown core like I did during last year's finals. I told lots of people that it was a mess down there, not Olympic crowds at all, and that we were one incident away from a complete breakdown. I know plenty of others saw it too. The surprise from the police - who had officers down there dealing with the numbnuts throughout - was astounding.

Oh yes, players being harder on themselves than people think. Believe that 100%. You only have to know anyone who plays competitively to understand that. My bantam-aged son is awful. Couldn't imagine him dealing with the pressures of the pro game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1fYHErZ ... ure=relmfu
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Per » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:15 am

Reefer2 wrote: Canucks are not Canada’s team, no problem, they never asked to be Canada’s team.

They are however (alongside the Red Wings and Rangers) Sweden's team! 8-)

:wink:

No, seriously. Those three teams get a disproportionate amount of attention and affection in Swedish media.

Changes over time though. A couple of years ago Colorado was also popular...
If Gabriel does well, they may become so again! :lol:
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby BingoTough » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:06 am

Per wrote:
Reefer2 wrote: Canucks are not Canada’s team, no problem, they never asked to be Canada’s team.

They are however (alongside the Red Wings and Rangers) Sweden's team! 8-)

No, seriously. Those three teams get a disproportionate amount of attention and affection in Swedish media.

Changes over time though. A couple of years ago Colorado was also popular...
If Gabriel does well, they may become so again! :lol:

Sweden is awesome. I visited there a few years back and all any taxi driver would speak about (in perfect english mind you) was the NHL. Not to mention that all the women are gorgeous.

I seriously doubt any of the canucks are fussed about being Canada's team. Why would Kesler, etc. care that people who don't like the canucks during the season, still don't like them in the playoffs? What a non-story.
I wonder if they'll disallow the whole game because of the distinct ass-kicking motion the Canucks used on the Kings? - Brian CC

Congratulations on the new job dave, try not to fuck it up this time eh? - UKCanuck
BingoTough
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Per » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:27 am

BingoTough wrote: Sweden is awesome. I visited there a few years back and all any taxi driver would speak about (in perfect english mind you) was the NHL.

Yet had they thought you were British, they'd have discussed Premier League instead.
But hockey is big here. In case any one doubted it.

BingoTough wrote: Not to mention that all the women are gorgeous.

Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ODB » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:39 am

Per wrote:If Gabriel does well, they may become so again! :lol:

If??? The guys a friggen STUD!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Per » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:07 am

ODB wrote:
Per wrote:If Gabriel does well, they may become so again! :lol:

If??? The guys a friggen STUD!

Yeah, he should be at least nominated for Calder.

Not sure whether Ryan or Gabriel gets it though.
Ryan had as many points in fewer games, but Gabriel has more goals, better +/-, more ice time, plays more shifts and is imho a more complete player.

Not saying that Ryan is incomplete - they're both cream of the crop.
Remains to be seen who gets the hardware.

Only two Swedes have ever received Calder; Forsberg and Alfredsson.
Imho Zetterberg was robbed though. :evil:
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby cjc » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 am

Arachnid wrote:
cjc wrote:I'm sure things are very different behind closed doors than what is seen publicly. That's the way it should be. I don't see why fans and media seem to think everything has to be laid out for all to see. This is still a workplace and no one would want their own performance or management's view of it blurted out to the world. Privacy should be respected no matter the "entertainment" business. There are always boundaries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1fYHErZ ... ure=relmfu

Great ad, hilarious. Bantam is the age where the kids and parents (mostly) go nuts over hockey. Well, many have been nuts for years but it's particularly bad right now. I know people who seriously believe their child is heading to the NHL and they're not. Then the whole attitude filters through to the kids and infects the others who are around them. Coaches often create unrealistic expectations too. It's really putting me off minor hockey. The kids are coming under so much pressure that's hard to dial down.
cjc
CC Veteran

Previous

Return to Canucks Corner Chat