OK, So What I have been told

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: OK, So What I have been told

Post by donlever »

Mondi wrote: But, the last 20 games give me no reason to believe they will do it.

I think the fact that in games that a "bored" team would regard as BIG (Detroit, St. Louis for instance) the team came out with the game plan and effort which resulted in slick wins promotes the fact that this club is indeed prepared to "turn it on" when the time comes.

Insert Alfred E. Neuman commentary here.
DeLevering since 1999.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

dbr wrote: They are likely going to be stuck with a shoestring budget on defense this way, we're talking Brewer/Hedman/Ohlund/Bergeron/Aulie/Gilroy territory, and while they are definitely not going to end up with a Phoenix Coyotes like budget a contract like Luongo's does affect them more severely than the cap number might suggest.
I guess it all comes down to how much Vinnick is prepared to spend, and if they move a player like Malone in a separate deal. There' a lot that can happen between the draft and training camp.

In terms of just cap space, adding Luo without taking salary, would put them at $52M, giving them plenty of space, even if the cap goes down, to fill out their roster.

If Luongo is made available to Tampa, I think they add him and worry about the money issue afterwards instead of letting the money dictate their desire to acquire him.

Besides, even if adding Luo hinders them making other additions, it's still a move I make if I'm Yzerman. Better to have a franchise goalie and take another couple of years to develop and sort the roster instead of having goaltending be a perpetual question mark.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:
Mondi wrote: But, the last 20 games give me no reason to believe they will do it.

I think the fact that in games that a "bored" team would regard as BIG (Detroit, St. Louis for instance) the team came out with the game plan and effort which resulted in slick wins promotes the fact that this club is indeed prepared to "turn it on" when the time comes.

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

donlever wrote: I think the fact that in games that a "bored" team would regard as BIG (Detroit, St. Louis for instance) the team came out with the game plan and effort which resulted in slick wins promotes the fact that this club is indeed prepared to "turn it on" when the time comes.
The playoffs are such a different animal that it's difficult to draw analogies between regular season games and a post-season game.

The most important ingredients for playoff success is talent, a balanced team, good chemistry, and health.

Now, if you have a team that has chemistry and locker-room issues, you look at the regular season for improvements in those areas.

Same thing if your team lacks a little talent and isn't deep enough.

If a team has clear flaws, you really look at the regular season to see how they stack up against other top teams and if they have consistency and perhaps a little "magic."

For a team like Vancouver, that is putting up another top 3 seed season, and has a clear shot of winning the President's trophy in back-to-back years, I wouldn't worry about not seeing enough "magic" or the team not killing itself every night.

I think we all agree this team is battle tested in the playoffs, been through all the wars and have learned countless lessons, and are as deep and talented as any Canucks team we've ever had.

When the playoffs begin, and the intensity passes 10, I have full confidence we'll see a team playing balls-to-the-wall hockey as we saw in playoffs last season, save the sickness in Chicago and 4 games in the cup final with a depleted roster.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Larry Goodenough wrote: I see it as the other way around. Moving to a new team, no matter what the situation, gives you an adrenaline and energy boost. Showing your new team what you can do and showing your old team they made a mistake.
Perhaps. That makes sense for Kassian who moved from a 11th place pretender to a first place contender. On the flip side you have a guy who was likely gearing up for playoff hockey and long playoff run being moved to a lesser team. A lesser team that may give more icetime but a team that even now after the run is still likely to be golfing while the canucks line up for the opening faceoff of game 1 in round 1.

The 2-3 games he had a lot more jump and looked better than the last 5 or 6. However, no amount of adrenaline is going to make his skating and defensive issues disappear. They are his limitations and being put in the #2 (and #1) center role lets those limitations be exploited no matter the adrenaline.

Either way, the Hodgson camp thought they were playing recreational slo-pitch when Gillis was playing hardball. In Vancouver he was where he needed to be at this point in time to gain good experience and develop. Buffalo doesn't afford him the same development right now. They can not afford to live with his mistakes right now. He is costing them points and games. Maybe down the road a move is better for his development, but he has some major strides to make in the summer to be a #2 guy next year. As hard as he works and as committed as he is I can't help but wonder if he's 2 or more seasons away from being that guy. I can fully imagine the Sabres pencilling him in as the #3 guy to open the season...and wouldn't that piss off papa Hodgson!
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

we all need to chill the fuck out...we will shift into high gear come playoff time and this year it will work...playoffs are stressful and since i dont take prescription Mëds my weed consumption goes through the roof...thats what i know for sure...
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

the Dogsalmon wrote:we all need to chill the fuck out......
No we don't.

Just some of "us".
DeLevering since 1999.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I've always approached this year with the attitude that the real assessment of this team doesn't start until game 1 of the playoffs. That remains the case. Sure I'm happy to dissect the play through the 82 games but ultimately I just want to see the playoffs.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

tantalum wrote:Sure I'm happy to dissect the play through the 82 games but ultimately I just want to see the playoffs.
You and everyone down at Rogers Arena apparently.

(which I am fine with btw)
DeLevering since 1999.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

donlever wrote:
tantalum wrote:Sure I'm happy to dissect the play through the 82 games but ultimately I just want to see the playoffs.
You and everyone down at Rogers Arena apparently.

(which I am fine with btw)

You mean ....Telus Ice Sheet at Rogers Arena
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
You mean ....Telus Ice Sheet at Rogers Arena
lol

Indeed.

My bad....
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Here's a thought I have on the Lou situation in regards to a trade.....

The team, as it looks right now, is sitting with the top 6 forwards locked up for next year. There is maybe a single spot that could be up for grabs. Henrik, Daniel, Kesler, Burrows, and Booth, are all pretty much slotted into the top 6. Raymond and Higgins have been alternating up and down this year, and Higgins certainly is the better of the two players, and it sounds like chances are very good that Raymond is gone at year's end.

More and more it seems that what our top 6 really needs is a playmaking skater who can gel with Kesler and Booth, and since they are apparently reluctant to move Kes to the wing, that means it has to be a winger. I sometimes see flashes from Burrows that make me think he could be that guy, the stuff he has picked up from playing with Henrik and Daniel has really helped the 2nd PP unit, and I've seen some really nice ideas from him when it comes to setting up linemates. Without him though, I think the Sedin line chemistry would really suffer in the longterm.

We now have Kassian in the system, and hopes are high that he will evolve into a top 6 forward. From what we've seen he has the tools to do that, and right now the thing that holds him back the most is his fitness level. He seems to wane in the third period and often doesn't see much ice time after 40 minutes. I love that he's a right-handed shot, and once he's upped his endurance, and really syched into the Canuck's system, I think he should be getting PP minutes with the Sedin's and we go from there with him. This probably won't happen until next year, although I won't be surprised to see this tried in the playoffs if the Twins are getting abused on the PP.

Looking at a deal in the sunshine state.....

The only forward I want from either the Panther's or the Bolt's is Stamkos, and we know that Tampa is not letting him go. Lecavalier would be decent, but again, a center who doesn't fit the third line role, is grossly overpaid, and, in all likelihood, would have to be willing to move to the wing if he wanted to slot into the top 6. Regardless I'm opposed to Lecavalier's contract in terms of both dollar value and length versus production and consistency.

The Canuck's real need is on the blueline, and therein lay the problem with a potential Luongo trade. If the team is trying to move him back to Florida, then we won't see any kind of return that would be usable in the immediate future. Neither Florida nor Tampa have a blueliner that they would be willing to part with who is good enough, affordable, or the right age for the team. I don't want to see either of Ohlund or Jovanovski coming back. Campbell is still a financial Albatross. Brewer isn't "too old", and his salary is workable at $3.8M, but he has a NMC, which he would probably waive to come to a contender, but I have often thought he was a bit over-rated. I don't think that Keith Aulie is going to turn into the defenseman that everyone thinks he will, and we know that Hedman is not going to be moved. Florida has a couple of young defensemen in the lineup right now, but they would be foolish to move them at this point.

The only way I can see a deal getting done with Tampa is if it brings back a couple of prospects and a couple of 1st round picks. The only benefit I see in this would be if we then packaged up Ballard with a high pick and a prospect and dealt him for someone. Ideally it would be great to get that deal [Luongo] done on draft-day, and then, assuming that Weber or Suter want to leave Nashville, approach them with Ballard, and a couple of picks (2 R1's for Weber, a R1 and R2 for Suter). I think much of this will depend on how Nashville does in the playoffs, if they are out in the 1st round or see a quick exit in the 2nd, chances are those guys will be looking at leaving. Nashville has been given the green light from the owners to spend to the cap and build a contender, but when I look at the upcoming UFA's, they don't have much to chase unless they want to stock up on players in the 33+ age range. So that could be an option, but I'm dreaming a bit eh.

There are other team's back east, I know, but you have to think that Luongo's list isn't going to be more than a handful of teams (5 at most).
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Florida is probably set in goal with Jakub Markstrom coming down the pipe. Highly doubt they'll want to add a contract as long as Luongo's.

Tampa makes a lot of sense, and could be our only true option if Luongo will only go to that state. A lot of their guys (Vinny, St Louis, Malone, Ohlund, Brewer) aren't getting any younger, yet they have the skill to compete now. Not really sure what we'd get out of them though beside picks. We'd be retarded to think we're getting Connolly or Hedman out of there.

All eastern teams being equal, I wonder what Ottawa would think of a Luongo + Rodin (mid prospect) for Craig Anderson + Patrick Wiercioch style deal? The Canucks are going to need a goalie to share duties/backup Schneider. We could probably keep the goaltending price relatively the same as last season (Anderson makes $3.18M) while picking up a pretty decent prospect for the back end.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

We don't need a goalie in return as we will have Eddie Lack as the back up next year with Joe Cannata moving to the Wolves...
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Florida is letting Markstrom get his seasoning in the minors and will be ready as early as next season not to mention their GM saw Lu lose 2 series against his former team. Ottawa has Lehner in the pipeline and are also letting him get seasoned in the minors. Tampa is likely the best option as I can't think of any goalies they have in the system that can even remotely be described as a starting goalie.