OK, So What I have been told

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: OK, So What I have been told

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:10 pm

tantalum wrote:
Rayxor wrote: You have to consider that the source of this could be HW with the help of the internet grapevine doing some aftermarket modifications.

family issues -> marriage problems -> marriage failure and fill out the rest of the details. I would be surprised if this came from a completely different source of info than HW's. It's probably the same rumor, and if so, its not confirmation.
Perhaps or perhaps not. A poster on HFBoards intimated the marriage troubles a couple of months ago in a thread. No one really paid much attention to the comment but it falls in line with the info HW has provided. Tack onto that Botchford's confirmation. SO the question ultimately is can he keep his head on straight for the playoffs? And if he can't how quick are the canucks prepared to pull the plug and put in Schneider in?

It also makes it a possibility that Luongo would want a move closer to Florida given his kids will be there.

I don't think there is much question that there are problems but the full extent who knows. I too have heard many variations on the theme and the bottom line seems to be that something is up and something happened a couple of weeks back that just happens to coincide with his poor play of late. Tack on the poor defensive and overall poor team play with a vulnerable psych and you have a recipe for disaster, that we have all seen before.

Make no mistake that the Canucks are all too aware of all of this. Luongo is still our number one and rightly so. He has gotten us this far and is still one of the top 4 or 5 goalies in the game when he is on. His goal is to win a cup. Once he has achieved that anything goes with respect to what the future holds. I hope he can seize the moment and play like there is no tomorrow because there may not be for him or the Canucks. A miserable playoff showing will surely result in major changes.

And I guess only time will tell how this all unfolds but it is far more conceivable to me today that a potential trade to the East is more a possibility than not. But he holds the cards as he has to waive his NTC for anything to go down and I doubt the Canucks will actively try to push him out the door. So if it is a mutually beneficial deal it will get done. If he has the cup he may be more inclined to open up the teams he is willing to go to. If not then he may have a much shorter list, if at all. I still think regardless they will try to keep Cory.
The only HW the Canucks need

Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:49 pm

I am an old ex Leaves fan.

One of my favourite childhood memories was my father unexpectedly announcing one Sat in 1960 that we were going to Maple Leaf Gardens to see the Leaves play. My bother and I had never been there before. It was just after the Leaves had acquired Red Kelly, and Toronto was playing Detroit. My father packed us 4 kids into the back of our 1958 Buick Special and away we went. We were so excited. On the street outside the Gardens, Billy Harris was signing autographs. We were there early and were lined up at the front of the crowd. I can still remember my utter amazement when the turnstiles opened and my father started running, and he turned without breaking stride and yelled, "Get your asses moving!" It turned out he had bought standing room tickets, and wanted to get a good spot to watch the game. We started running, and so did the rest of the crowd! We were lucky to be near centre ice. I could just see over the boards. The Leaves were brilliant that night, they beat Detroit 7-1...I wasn't impressed with Howe and company. The Leaves of the early 60s were mostly blue collar type players who worked hard for everything they got. The Leaf franchise of the last 4 decades has not been my team, but its hard not to have a soft spot for the Leaves of the early 1960s.

The Brown Wizard
CC Legend

Post by The Brown Wizard » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:12 am

Ummmm, we call them the Laughs now.
Having 4 x 4th lines and a Kessel is funny no matter how cool they were in 1960!

Waffle, I find myself thinking you're straight out of the movie "A Christmas Story" when I read the last post!!!

Ralphie is that you?
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:29 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:

Waffle, I find myself thinking you're straight out of the movie "A Christmas Story" when I read the last post!!!

Ralphie is that you?
I wonder if Waffle ever got a red ryder bee bee gun. "You'll shoot your eye out. "

I loved it when Ralphie tuned up the bully.

That movie and It's a Wonderul Life get annual viewings in our house.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:58 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
That movie and It's a Wonderul Life get annual viewings in our house.
Yup!

"Oooo Frageelee, must be Italian!"

Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:39 pm

No, not Ralphie. No B B gun, and no rabbit suit. I think they kind of balance each other out though.

Its funny when you think about watching the great hockey players over the years, how many of the less than generational talents did not get the credit they deserved when they were playing. I suspect we will be looking back fondly in a couple of decades on how good the Sedins have been for example. I hope it is not with Jean Ratelle or Marcel Dionne type fondness though.

There are some things sports psychologists can help with, but as far as I know, problems with the person you thought was your life partner isn't one of them. I think there is a lot more anxiety going into this year's playoffs than there was last year, and like everyone else, I wish they had started yesterday.

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:48 am

Not that Lu would move now, but Quebec City has now agreed to build an arena (larger than MTS center) for 2015.

So book Lu to Quebec in three years! ha :drink:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=391352

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:But he holds the cards as he has to waive his NTC for anything to go down and I doubt the Canucks will actively try to push him out the door. So if it is a mutually beneficial deal it will get done. If he has the cup he may be more inclined to open up the teams he is willing to go to. If not then he may have a much shorter list, if at all. I still think regardless they will try to keep Cory.
Does he have a NTC? Or NMC?
So if it blows up this year with Lu then it's either a trade or keep him as a $5 mil backup? (or press box?)

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:But he holds the cards as he has to waive his NTC for anything to go down and I doubt the Canucks will actively try to push him out the door. So if it is a mutually beneficial deal it will get done. If he has the cup he may be more inclined to open up the teams he is willing to go to. If not then he may have a much shorter list, if at all. I still think regardless they will try to keep Cory.
Does he have a NTC? Or NMC?
So if it blows up this year with Lu then it's either a trade or keep him as a $5 mil backup? (or press box?)

I think if it blows up then we see if moving Lou is doable, both from a trade perspective and him moving his NMC. If he refuses to waive then ya, we still have him. At that point you see what you want to do with Cory. You see what type of deal it will take to re-sign him and you bide your time. But that is only if you lose confidence moving forward in Luongo.

The bottom line in what the rumblings are is that the Canucks love Cory. They absolutely love everything about the guy. They believe he could be their starter now. But they still have faith and confidence in Luongo. So any deal, if there is one, will have to take into consideration a lot of different variables.

What was encouraging to me was to hear that the Canucks were not blinded to all of this. They were not sitting back saying well we are stuck with Luongo and so Cory must be traded. I have no idea how this will pan out and I doubt MG does either. I do think he has talked with at least 2 teams about what a possible Luongo deal may look like. But I think that is probably the extent of it at this point in time. So much depends upon Luongo, if he wants to move back to the East a deal will get done. If he wants to stay then he will be here until our first trade opportunity under his contract arises.

What happens to Cory then depends upon whether we can re-sign him for 2-3 years at a good rate and what we think of Lack being able to develop as Cory has and will he be ready to step in to the number one in 4-5 years. And we also signed that new goalie. So maybe we keep Luongo because we have to and deal Cory for a great return and hope one of Lack and that other guy develop along Cory's path and are ready to take over a few years down the road.

Either way MG has a good problem on his hands. And I don't think "having" to keep Luongo is a bad thing. He is still one of the top 5 goalies in the league, the best we have ever had. Its just that Cory is so good we sometimes forget that it is Luongo who has gotten us as far as we have gone.
The only HW the Canucks need

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Mondi wrote:
He has gone from a top 2 or 3 goalie in the league to top 10 during his stay in Vancouver.

There are times when he looks good, like a couple of shutouts in the SCF, and then there are the real stinkers. So it depends on which Luongo shows up for the game.

I think AV really screwed things up by leaving him in for 8 - EIGHT goals in Boston. A game like that blows up a teams confidence.
If AV starts Schneider in game 6 I think we win that game. (Just IMO)
Luongo clearly has problems in other buildings, so I don't know why Schneider didn't start in the Boston games. (again, just IMO)

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:06 pm

Schneider is up to 2nd in the league in Save% (5th in GAA). Dude's a keeper. Luongo is t-20 GAA and t-16%. It's very hard to argue those numbers....

I don't really want to get into another Luongo debate. My opinion is you'd be hard pressed to find 5 better goalies over the past 10 years.

We're in a tough spot. I've advocated keeping Luongo in the past because you know your'e going to get consistancy from him year to year. It still presents a big risk hanging all your eggs in Schneiders basket, because Brian Elliot is the best goalie in hockey this year, doesn't mean I'd trade Luongo for him... CS appears to be the real deal, and if we do trade him we better get a helluva return because we might be trading the better of our two star goalies.

Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:19 pm

I don't think you can really fairly compare Luongo and Schneider, yet, as #1 goalies. I have no doubt that Schneider is a quality goalie, but he has not played a full season in the Bigs yet! And how many playoff series has he won? I also would not include Quick or Rask in the same group. They also have not won multiple playoff series for their teams. I know people go crazy when Luongo has an off night, but when you look at his career with the Canucks, you would be hard pressed to find another goalie who has given more consistent goal-tending, or "stolen" as many games as Luongo.

And, yet, he has his vulnerable spots (he is only human, after all!) - and can lose his confidence in games with a certain "vibe". I don't know of any goalie who has not had their difficult times. Even Brodeur and Roy. The thing is, for me, I know what I can expect from Lu, most nights, season after season. I don't yet with Schneider. But, bottom line is I would be happy with either, just so long as neither of them crapped the bed in the playoffs!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:11 pm

Mondi wrote: To argue Lou is still top 5 is futile.
:roll:

Reminds me of when the Borg got ahold of Picard....
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:06 am

Lou and Cory are a great tandem. I believe that tandem is going to take us to the cup if the rest of the team can find their passion and killer instinct. Also, we are still in the hunt for the Presidents Cup... such an obvious sign of how useless Lou is and god knows that another 110+ pt season is just sooooooooo mediocre.

I for one prefer to cheer for both goalies, even when one of them shows their stellar stick handling capabilities and serves up a freebe for Vern Fiddler :shock:

Playoffs can't start soon enough for me.

P.S. and I have long advocated trying to swing a contract extension for Ginger with a healthy raise. Lou and Cory have great chemistry together and it seems like when one is off the other is on. This is a tandem that is bankable in my opinion. I hope MG can make it happen.

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:14 am

wafflecombine wrote: I believe that tandem is going to take us to the cup if the rest of the team can find their passion and killer instinct.
I believe the last 3 games have gone along way towards doing just that. The group is galvanizing itself, in preparation for the playoff wars, before our very eyes.

wafflecombine wrote: Also, we are still in the hunt for the Presidents Cup...
duh oh, I hope the Hockey Gods miss this one.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!